TVs

What TVs have you got Jow Forums? I might need to shop for a new one for my living room for my consoles and occasional media viewing. Never seriously shopped for a TV, only monitors. What do you recommend?

Attached: l_10161494_002.jpg (600x532, 16K)

remember: any "smart" TV comes with a ton of botnet.

Smart TVs will be cheaper than non-smart. They pay to push ads to your TV as well as spy on viewing habits and in some cases have a microphone installed. So choose wisely.

I got a Samsung QLED. No way to get one without the smart features. I've never hooked it up to the internet.

Why not use a monitor as your TV? Do you need an xbox hueg screen?

Reminder that Panasonic TVs have zero ads, zero botnet and use Firefox OS. They're also not available in Burgerstan, probably for this reason.

Which brands are better in this respect, and which are worse?

Not him, but if he didn't need something bigger, why would he even be bringing this up?

Just disregard the smart functionality. Treat it like it doesn't exist. So long as you don't hook up a cat5e cable or enter in your router password, the smart portions are immaterial, and cant datamine you or throw ads at you.

I don't know that's why I'm asking. Aren't huge screens garbage anyway unless you have a bunch of people sitting around? No one with those needs would come here.

They're all bad. Very bad. Like says all you can do is make sure it isn't hooked up to the internet, at all, ever.

Can you install new pipe on a smart TV?

This: Besides, you could get a top of the line TV, and they will quit supporting the OS within 2 or 3 years, requiring you to either go and buy a new one or to have unpatched vulnerabilities. If you want to have streaming capabilities, even if you don't want to use a computer to do it, I'd recommend literally any mainstream streaming box/stick over whatever gets shoved into a smart TV. The first gen Roku 3 launched in March 2013. It's still getting updates today, and cost like 100 bucks on the day of release. I got mine for 60 bucks in 2014, and while I got a 4k TV now, I still use it for the 1080p TV in my bedroom.

It's functionally the same, it just depends on the distance you sit from the screen. If you like sitting on a couch or, I dunno, maybe lying in bed, you probably want something bigger for that even if you live alone.

And I don't know about modern TVs, but my somewhat old 1080p TV has a lot of old connectors that you generally can't find on a monitor as well. Composite/component, scart, optical audio, and such. I like to be able to use my old equipment too. I have a bunch of old VHS tapes, DVDs, and game consoles that I might be able to find a way to connect to a monitor, but it would probably involve spending more on adapters and stuff.

I didn't think about the connections. Those are nice to have already built in. Do TVs these days still have a lot of input lag?

LG c9 OLED 55”

>just don't give it your wi-fi password!
A lot of TVs will, if they don't have a working network connection, associate with any open wi-fi network they can find. In other words, if your neighbor has an open guest network or something, there's no way to keep the TV off the internet. I've never heard of a TV with its own SIM card that will use cellular if it has no other connection, but it wouldn't shock me at all.

I can't believe I need to explain to someone why a person might need a big TV.
No matter how long you've locked yourself in the basement you can't be this detached from reality.

I think there's a website that lists various TV models based on that if you google something like "TV input lag". If you can turn off image processing, they're often fairly decent, but it's really hit or miss. Mine is perfectly servicable for stuff like console games, but if I try to use it as a secondary monitor the input lag on the mouse pointer is very noticable.

Well why would someone who comes here want an image stretched over a large area and have lots of input lag? It seems completely unnecessary.

Well again, it's all about the distance you want to sit from the screen. That need dictates the size. The most sensible thing to do would be to choose the appropriate size and resolution based on your personal needs, and then find the cheapest TV or monitor that fits those needs, factoring in what sorts of devices you want to connect to it.

It might turn out that a monitor fits best, but it would be pretty foolish to not even consider a TV. Maybe it just so happens that a certain TV is perfect and far cheaper than a monitor would be. Maybe you happen to find a certain model at a massive discount. It makes sense to consider all available alternatives and not lock yourself into considering only monitors.