/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: hanna-montana-linux-recording.VP8.webm (1280x720, 1.67M)

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxreviews.org/Revolution_OS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_sale
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Install gentoo

second for installing Ubuntu

>I just made a bootable usb with unetbootin and defaults, this is what I get booting it
unetbootin has a tendency to give you a bad grub configuration file.

mount the USB stick and run blkid

then edit EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
and set the root= to something like root=live:UUID=5CAD-3C93
but actual UUID

Also, on Linux, if you are only going to have a boot image on a USB stick then dd is actually the best universal way of doing it. if you dd if=yourimage.iso of=/dev/sdg bs=1024 where the USB stick is at sdg then it'll boot on any machine even if it's got a buggy older BIOS.

nevermind acpi, my man rufus just sorted it out. booted to the arch root terminal now

thanks bud. I did select dd on rufus and it looks like im good to go now

Install Guix

Attached: 1556933550952.png (723x666, 163K)

why? what's the advantage for my general use laptop?

how do I make xinput settings persist after un- and replugging a device
PLS HELP

Guiled and Nixpilled

Attached: Wildebeest.jpg (711x1024, 265K)

~/.xinputrc

I put my shit in .xinput .xsession and .xsessionrc and it doesnt execute it
Im on Ubuntu if that matters

>Check out a video about win x linux
>Some faggot raves that people will switch over to linux after seeing the "better" side
>talks raving about servers, bloat, bash and some random shit.
>waaaaa technical debt of windows 10
I just want to play vidya and not to deal with autistic shit

Attached: 1513772572623.jpg (637x476, 30K)

Thanks for stopping by and enriching our thread with your riveting life's story

no problem. I just stopped by to see what you lunatics do to open apps

Attached: 1516739567327.png (720x525, 523K)

>apps

dumb akoposter

>I just stopped by to see what you lunatics do to open apps
You wouldn't understand, it's too complicated.

Not bothering with redundancy and lack of real world use cases doesnt imply that

Attached: 001 (1).jpg (1129x1600, 454K)

>real world
That's just an euphemism for slavery. Ishygddt

Ed is the standard text editor.

Attached: 21.jpg (242x300, 12K)

alias ed='while read; do echo \?; done'

incorrect

Is there a system wide equalizer for linux?
On Windows i used Equalizer APO, any alternative for linux?

Attached: 15539680949590.gif (320x320, 818K)

linux is a kernel and it does not support audio by itself

You can use PulseEffects if you're using PulseAudio.

alsaequal

There's two, pulseeffects and pulseaudio-equalizer.

You probably want pulseeffects even though you're looking for an equalizer and good old pulseaudio-equalizer is exactly that. But that's all it is. Period. Nothing more. pulseeffects has an equalizer and a toolbox of other settings and effects.

There's a folder named sound/ in the kernel tree with 2200 files and this folder disagrees with your opinion regarding kernel audio. pulseaudio, which is mostly used by applications these days, can't do nothing without the kernels ALSA interface.

Attached: pulseeffects.png (1745x1103, 163K)

But pulseaudio-equalizer has been deprecated, which is precisely why everyone is recommending pulseeffects. I wouldn't bet on it working with future versions of PulseAudio forever.

Made a VP9 .webm today. Put it here,
linuxreviews.org/Revolution_OS

I suspect some of you girls may enjoy it.

Finding an actual DVD ISO wasn't easy, the commonly shared file is a .avi of questionable quality.

And why did you come to this thread?

I have been trying to find a reason to switch over but there really isnt one for a casual user like myself. Also I took the opportunity to shitpost

Attached: 1518653349334s.jpg (75x125, 2K)

Thank you guys.

>posts a thumbnail
Thanks for nothing.

stay on your government spyware OS, moron

Not my government and I will

stay on the your "government spyware OS", moron
it's sad that the sentence syntax had to be highlighted, but what can I expect from winjeets

It doesnt matter if I get spied on if the government is across the ocean

Attached: 4d98860449d00012a8eb751975fdd892.gif (500x650, 1.01M)

that's just sad man, i hope you will be able to free yourself one day

I want to create a program that sends predefined strings to the current location of the keyboard cursor.
Do I have to send the string to stdin of e.g. Firefox? Or to the GUI manager (Dolphin/KDE)?
What are some terms/keywords I can google to this?

I guess making people feel bad doesn't help as much as making them feel good. We should be more welcoming. How would a slave who doesn't know anything except slavery want to enjoy freedom if we don't show him a warm welcoming and help for jumping off the train?

Don't make people feel bad for what they have, but make them feel good for what they can get!

>don't you even want freedom?

Attached: 1546551152831.jpg (1920x1080, 157K)

Thanks bud

Attached: 1550330732905.jpg (430x760, 58K)

super tux kart is unironically super fun

Attached: 2019-05-10-161058_1600x900_scrot.png (1280x720, 1009K)

>it's an anime posters are also absolutely horrid posters episode

you are visiting an anime website, feel free to go back home to reddit any time

It's acutally a fun game to play one in a while. Too bad people who enjoy this kind of game usually jump to Nintendo or shit and never know its existence.

looks like a map from CTR

seething

yes, you are, and at the mere sight of anime on an anime website too

If your gnulinux is so good, then how come there is less than 1% of steam users that are actually using it?

Attached: 1533950161267.png (1500x1500, 619K)

Holly shit, freetards BTFO!

because less than 1% of linux users use steam

Attached: 1547393904491.png (633x758, 34K)

wut?

Should I upgrade to Fedora 30? I'm on 29, is the only big change a new GNOME version?

Because GNU/Linux is about freedom (except some malicious distros like Ubuntu or Arch, but no one uses them anyway).
No one cares about your propietary digital restrictions management platform.

cope

Attached: supertuxkart-v1.0.webm (1280x720, 2.14M)

why doesn't mpv's --window-dragging option work in awesomewm
it works as expected in openbox but does nothing in awesome (even with default configs)

because you are using a wm that is a literal meme. just use i3

i really hope this is a "Friendly GNU/Linux Thread", recently i install fedora and debian (first one, i failed, then the other one), i try to make a PoS with it.
>no PoS soft in app installer
>i downloaded 2 pos software and i can't install it (.tar.bz2, .run, .deb), they need java
>i try install java
>"how can i be so stupid?, it's only java"
>3 hrs later finally install java jre. i try to run .deb again "something go wrong".
>"Dpkg –i pos.tar.bz2" "Apt-get install" Wrong
> my neck hurts, i need to work in my pc, install teamviewer for debian... wrong "the file is no suported"
>i want to cry, how i can be this useless?

my question is: "what S.O. i need to install for install a simple app?"

Attached: 1470540124784.jpg (750x1177, 206K)

>choose between Wayland and X.Org because Fedora
So do I have a solid reason to use Wayland instead of X.Org, like, there is gain in performance?

do you assume people just know what your obscure third world abbreviations mean?

Bumping this.
Would I need any old codec for .wav or something specific if it’s pulse I’m using?
I think I’m using pulse.

I did, in QEMU anyway. I'm kind of amazed how far GNU went in their own direction with their GNU/Linux distribution. As in .. they went their own way. All the software, everything, is in /gnu/store. Doing "sudo guix install icecat" installed it there but it didn't because available for the regular user until I did "guix install icecat". /bin has a single sh symlink which points to /gnu/store. There is no /lib/

Default desktop's XFCE, Kernel's 5.0.10.

There's no systemd on Guix and there's also no /etc/init.d

All in all, just after trying it out for 10 minutes.. I am fairly certain it will be a dismal failure which will gain 0 market-share. Why? It's so different from Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora/CentOS, even Gentoo. I am sure I can read their very fine manual and learn how to use it. It would take some time since it's like learning a new OS. Might as well learn to use FreeBSD. Switching between say Ubuntu and Fedora is a matter of typing dnf or apt-get to install packages. That's about it. Guix appers to be vastly different.

Attached: guix-fs8.png (2572x1684, 424K)

what do you mean by PoS and S.O? what exactly do you want to accomplish?
you can install most programs using the "apt install" command, have you tried that?

can i install steam on it?

Great, since you're not a US citizen the government will spy on you even more and share secrets with its 4 buddies.

and this is what first world understand for friendly?

maybe in 15 years

PoS, Point of Selling and S.O. my bad that was O.S. "linux distributions". i try the "apt install" but not work. it's my first time using gnu

I assume you're a spic or a hue, hence SO instead of OS. Mate, just use apt-get or apt for the matter. If you get any errors while installing the program you want, read why you got the error, for example dependencies not met, as TeamViewer requires libssl1.1 if I'm not mistaken. And what the fuck is a PoS?

how do i install icecat in linux mint
i already donwnloaded the tar.bz2 file and decompressed it
i installed veracrypt directly from the terminal but cant install icecat

>literal meme
why?

Okay, you're really a spic/hue. Where did you get your ponto de venda software? Did you buy it or just downloaded some pirated one on the internet?

>libssl1.1 thanks bro, that's usefull.
there is a place where you can find all the most common libraries?

i'm latin, indeed, PoS is a Point of Selling, you know, read bar code, print ticket, Inventory that stuff. Sorry for S.O.

it's a free soft from sourceforge

Yeah, I got it, but "Point of Selling" means shit nothing in English, you can't translate it directly like that. Anyway, is there any tutorial for installing it on Debian?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_sale

In a way Linus is now working for Microsoft

Attached: CS.gif (480x320, 642K)

Is there any way for me to self host something without port forwarding/minimal security risk?

I just wanna start a radicale or nextcloud instance in a VM with minimal fuck-ability to anyone else on my network. I live with roommates with varying degree of retardation and I'd hate to fuck their shit up

Attached: wtf.jpg (480x360, 34K)

Last night I tried to install Arch Linux and I couldn't get my device to connect to my AP, no matter what network manager I used. I tried WPA supplicant, iw (which obviously didn't work because it doesn't even support WPA2-PSK to begin with) and netcli, and none of them worked. The driver was loaded and the WiFi card was initializing correctly (it's an Intel 5100 AGN or something like that)
What else can I try?

He's a wm babby

>wahh im so cool wms are for babies XD

Attached: i3_users.jpg (345x337, 26K)

WMs are cool, but i3 is basically the Ubuntu of WMs, so there.s no reason to brag about it.

How to skip an update to a specific package on DNF?

Stop using shit distros.

apt hold

xbps-pkgdb -m hold

>Dpkg –i pos.tar.bz2
You can only install .deb packages.
Try "7z e pos.tar.bz2" (Type "sudo apt install 7z" if it says command/program not found) and post the contents of the extracted file.
Anyway, if you ever need to install something, try looking at the Debian repos first. Type "sudo apt search *insert program here*" to check.
Yes, check with what I told you.

AAAAAAAAAAAA Why there's no WoW64 (both 32 and 64 bits) Flatpak example for me to copy? Winepak is dead and screwed up. I just want a single Flatpak to run all my Wine shit sandboxed.

Attached: aaaaaaaaaaa.jpg (130x115, 13K)

Anyone ever had this problem with alsa+pulseaudio?
>use gentoo
>new gcc comes out, old gcc declared unsafe to continue using
>rebuild whole system
>install ungoogled chromium
>ebuild wants a 64-bit system library to be 32-bit instead
>try to force it to use the 64-bit library(forgot what variable does this, A_X86="64" or ARCH_X86="64" or something??)
>install succeeds, browser works fine
>suddenly all audio in any program on the entire system sounds like dogshit
>not even kidding it sounds like a combination of record scratch, nails on chalkboard, and diarrhea
>can't make out any semblance of the correct audio data, it's just a mess of disgusting noise
>sometimes temporarily fixes itself if i either wait one minute or play multiple sources at once (but if i take the latter approach, which source comes through correctly is unpredictable)
>no difference in config files
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, but I reinstalled Windows because of this, so I can't test any of them at the moment.

Well.. steam is proprietary software so I'm sure they won't make that easy for you.

That side, there are these evil binary firmware blobs in most distributions - but not Guix since they are not free open source software - needed by video card drivers for fancy modern things like accelerated graphics. Not entirely sure how useful Steam is without that.

I love the idea of Guix, don't get me wrong. I also like to be able to do things like play video files and have my fancy expensive graphics card perform better than something from the 1990s.

>I reinstalled Windows
Thanks for posting

Do you know of any solution though? I'd rather be using gentoo if i could

thanks, bruh!. you are a nice person. you got me some real information instead get xenophobic angry because my mistake of put a S before a O.

Attached: 1463440823916.gif (234x249, 269K)

No, never. Also on Gentoo.

So... did you set whatever variable you set systemwide and not just for ungoogled chromium?
That's weird then, why don't you just undo it and only set it for that package?

>>ebuild wants a 64-bit system library to be 32-bit instead
>>try to force it to use the 64-bit library
can you actually do this?
normally it should tell you which libraries need to be rebuilt with the 32-bit option enabled so that it builds it for both arches