Post your distrohopping progression

Post your distrohopping progression.

Ubuntu > Manjaro > Mint > Fedora > Debian sid > Void > Slackware > Xubuntu > Debian testing.

Distrohopping is pointless, all distros are shit anyways. Thank god i never fell for the Arch meme.

Attached: power of free software.jpg (853x960, 192K)

Good job skipping the only distro that doesn't give you any reason to hop, you retarded nigger.

1. debian
2. arch
3. debian

Attached: 1548569279162.jpg (540x482, 87K)

1. Ubuntu
2. Mint

ubuntu -> arch -> debian

I agree, each distro has its flaws. For that reason I think it's better to use more popular distros (in terms of active users) so that you can more easily find help for quirks related to your specific distro.

My progression:

Knoppix > Damn Small Linux > Tiny Core > Ubuntu > Linux Mint > Debian stable > Debian testing > Slackware > Arch > CentOS > Fedora > Ubuntu > Xubuntu

After all these years, I feel that XFCE is absolutely the least shitty DE, and Xubuntu's default settings are easy on the eyes. Fedora is also nice because they are good about updating to new kernels while maintaining quality.

Backtrack (i was 13 at the time) > Ubuntu > Debian > Arch > Slackware > FreeBSD > (very long hiatus) > Arch

1. Ubuntu
2. Debian
3. Mint
4. Fedora
5. openSUSE
6. Arch
7. Linux from Scratch
8. Gentoo
9. Funtoo
10. Ubuntu

>reddit spacing
>all distros are shit
just go back to (>>/plebbit/) windows

1. Mate (2 weeks). Install other DE and realize the power of package managers.
2. Debian (6 years so far). Stop there because I'm not an idiot.

ubuntu -> arch -> debian -> fedora + rpmfusion
I still have debian installed but I never boot it now

1. Debian in VM
2. Fedora
3. Win7
4. Arch VM
5. Failed Arch
6. Ubuntu minimal
7. Debian Buster
8. Fedora minimal
9. Failed Gentoo
10. Win10LTSC

Comfy

Ubuntu -> Fedora -> Arch -> Void -> MX -> Arch

Arch > Gentoo > Debian

I only switched from gentoo because my laptop is slow and I got irritated over compile times. Probably gonna install it again after I have a better computer

Ubuntu->Mint->Debian->Arch->Fedora
Fedora just werks

1. Manjaro
2. Manjaro
3. Manjaro
Haven't felt the need to change

>CentOS
>Arch
>Void
>Debian
>Slackware
>Gentoo
I have no facial hair :(

gentoo?

debian -> ubuntu -> debian -> arch -> parabola -> gentoo

Using gentoo since august 2018

Windows 10 Home>liveboot Puppy Linux>Utbuntu>Windows 10 Pro
And I couldn't be happier.

Windows 10 > Windows 10/Arch Dual-Boot > Ubuntu > OpenBSD > Kubuntu > Gentoo > FreeBSD > Windows 10 > Windows 10/Arch Dual-Boot > Windows 10/Manjaro Dual-Boot

I've finally reached the end of my journey. My conclusion is that Manjaro is the best distro because it is rolling release while at the same time everyhing just werks, and that I'll use whatever software is the best for what I'm going to do. If that program happens to be Windows-exclusive, I use Windows.

I may delete the Manjaro partition when WSL 2 and Windows Terminal come out, though. I yet have to see if they'll be good enough to replace bare-metal Linux.

>W10
>Arch
>Debian
>Arch
>Void
>W10
>Arch
>Gentoo
>Void

And I'll keep with Void for now, fuck systemd.

ubuntu, mint, debian, arch.

windows 10 is besto

Attached: CBBA6DCF-C875-468F-B149-59BBB011DEAD.jpg (1920x1080, 331K)

1. SUSE Linux
2. Ubuntu
3. Mint
4. Chakra
5. Kubuntu
6. KDE Neon

Ubuntu, Debian, Arch. From worst to best.

1. Slackware

1. Windows 10
2. Linux Mint
3. Puppy Linux
4. Ubuntu on my desktop, live boot Puppy, FreeBSD on some shit 10-year-old laptop

win xp -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> arch -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> centos -> ubuntu -> lfs -> debian -> lfs -> ubuntu -> debian -> gentoo -> win 10 -> gentoo

also mint was in there somewhere and so was elementary os but i forgot where

>bhop script
just use mouse macro for bhop

Mandrake Linux -> Ubuntu -> Fedora Core -> Arch Linux -> Ubuntu
I fell for the Mandrake shills in the french IT magazines

>Thank god i never fell for the Arch meme

>Manjaro

W10 -> Manjaro -> MX Linux -> Artix Linux -> Void Linux -> Gentoo -> HardenedBSD

FreeBSD
Debian
Suse
Ubuntu
OS X
Mint

I have the fondest memories of Suse 9.2. Back when KDE mattered.

Windows 98 -> Slackware -> Ubuntu -> Kubuntu -> Slackware -> LFS -> Gentoo -> Arch -> Gentoo -> NixOS.

I've tried dozens of others but this is the progression of the systems I actually used.

Attached: gaybuntu.jpg (401x349, 42K)

Ubuntu
Debian
Arch
Debian Unstable installed through debootstrap. (GUI doesn't seem to support XTS-512 LUKS)

Debian is the best distro, arch has some cool stuff as long as you are very reserved with the AUR. I still run arch on my laptop. I can't stand the patched patch bs that is yum or dnf or whatever they are calling the latest rpm wrapper/apt clone.

(continued)
oh yeah, I guess I can also mention the distros I've used on servers. That would go:
Slackware -> Debian -> CoreOS with Alpine as a container base

Attached: gnuuix<3.png.jpg (474x316, 16K)

nixos vs gentoo?????
edit: ?
edit 2: ?

>ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu -> win 10 -> ubuntu

Attached: 6765fur6ehhdr4747486.jpg (668x716, 55K)

MacOS 7-9, OS X 10.0-10.6, Arch, Windows 7, Mint, Windows 10.

Actually I think I used Debian right before Mint.

(1/2)
I don't know what you're trying to say, but i'll give a little story to the more recent part of my progression (which actually took place over something like 10 years between leaving slackware and landing in NixOS)

I became frustrated with the fact that Slackware has outdated packages, and to get new software you need to recompile a bunch of libraries and compile whatever it is you're trying to run. I learned about LFS, and figured that since I'm already compiling half the system I might as well go all the way and have full control over everything. After spending months and never having a system that ever worked 100% since compiling and configuring literally everything is so time consuming, I learned about Gentoo. I used Gentoo for a few years and loved how easy it makes everything, and I also loved that many Gentoo users are quite knowledgeable when it comes to tweaking the OS for performance, and enabling cool features like zram (when zram was brand new).

After using Gentoo for a few years, I found myself more and more relying on information I found on the Arch wiki. I had always avoided Arch simply because it was new and I didn't know about it, and also, most Arch users seemed to be redditors that didn't know much about Linux. Anyway, I ended up deciding to try Arch because if I'm using their wiki so much, maybe the distro had something to offer. It was nice because it was so quick to get a system running with binary packages, and it had *new* packages unlike Slackware and Ubuntu. I used Arch for about a year, and my system started crashing and having random bugs. So I switched back to Gentoo, where I was basically trading my compile time up front, to not have everything break like it does on Arch.

So after more years than I remember, mostly using Gentoo (which I had setup pretty well, I had distcc and cross-compiling working, so I could quickly compile an entire system for my laptop or older PCs)

Ubuntu -> Arch -> Void

Attached: 1557593712731.jpg (1162x960, 128K)

(2/2)
I learned about NixOS, which had numerous advantages of its own. It solved one of the problems I had on Gentoo, which was that I had to keep track of all the random configuration files scattered across a system, and it also automated the whole process of setting up a system after I'd written the configuration.

I quickly learned that NixOS not only solves all the problems I had with other distros (it enables using bleeding-edge software, and it also can run older stable software, all on the same system) but NixOS also had many new things it brought to the table that made my life much easier. NixOS also beats Gentoo at it's own game, because Nix can compile everything with as much configuration as you need, and once you compile something once you can send the binaries to another system very easily without recompiling. Of course, Nix can also just pull in cached binaries from the Nix servers too, if you aren't modifying the package at all.

So overall, NixOS has more features, is faster, is easier, and more stable than Gentoo. One of my favorite features is that it automatically puts bootloader entries in for each generation, which makes it easy to rollback, which is important for someone that uses the computer professionally, since you can't fuck around with rebuilding your system if it breaks when you have work to do. Previously, I had used btrfs with snapshots of working systems, and I would script taking snapshots and adding grub entries so I could use a snapshot if the system broke. NixOS solves these same problems in much more intelligent ways than anything else I've used.

I've tried Guix but it simply lacks support for too many things I need. You can't even install Guix on an LVM system, which means I can only even run it in a virtual machine.

So anyway, Gentoo is great for what it is, but it's old and not changing much. NixOS is much more modern, in a good way. I think that if NixOS had been around as long as Gentoo, no one would use Gentoo.

Ubuntu > Fedora > Ubuntu > Debian > Manjaro > Ubuntu
Don't fall for the contrarians here. Unless Linux is a hobby for you and you want to spend all weekend fiddling with shit, just use Ubuntu.

very informative blog post user, thank you for the insightful read

I used a fuckload of different LiveCDs, and don't remember many of them.

2005 - Present

SuSE > SLAX > Puppy > Damn Small Linux > Knoppix > Slackware > Fedora > Debian > Feather > Mandriva > Pentoo > Gentoo > Ubuntu > BackTrack > Mint > Manjaro > Tails > Arch > Xubuntu > Raspbian > Red Star OS

I've settled on Xubuntu.

>old times(2008 > 2013)
>Conectiva > Mandriva > Ubuntu > Kurumin > Debian > Fedora > Open suse > Sabayon > Debian > Kubuntu > Debian

>New Times(2017 - now)
>Mint > Opensuse > Mint

Waiting for Debian 10 to give a try.

Attached: 140720900087.jpg (1280x720, 301K)

Ubuntu 9.10 with Gnome 2, Kubuntu, Linux Mint LMDE with KDE, Ubuntu with Unity (N... Narval) , Mageia with KDE, Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity, Opensuse with KDE, KDE Neon, Manjaro with KDE, Kubuntu 18.10 >19.04

Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 7.

Take the Windows 10 pill.

I might be a dumb Windows poster but I'm not retarded.

Attached: 1533918199922.png (211x275, 123K)

>Conectiva
Uma delĂ­cia.

What made you switch from manjaro KDE to kubuntu?

Ubuntu > elementary > fedora > debian > deepin> sabayon> arch > manjaro > antergos > mint > MX > devuan > anarchy > arco > slackware > void > puppy > gentoo > ubuntu

I'm just sticking to ubuntu with some wm

DOS->Win3.1->Win3.1->Win95->Win98->Win98SE->Win2000AD->XP->RedHat*->XP->Fedora*->Vista->XP->Win7->Ubuntu->Win7->Mint->Win7->Xubuntu->Win7->Arch->Win7->Debian->Win7->Win8->Win7->->Win8.1->Win7->Windows10->Ubuntu->Windows10->Windows10+Ubuntu

Yup.

Attached: distro.png (7680x4320, 1.15M)

Forgot I installed elementaryOS on the laptop around Feb 2018 before going Windows10+Ubuntu

95 -> 98 -> xp -> 7 -> ubuntu -> debian -> arch -> gentoo -> plan9

debian then alpine then slackware i dont hate the first two though i just use slackware as my main os

Arch > Manjaro > Arch

Attached: 1556664265612.gif (300x168, 655K)

I had used Lubuntu for 3 months before I switched to Arch Linux, which I have been using since then.

Ubuntu > Mint > Arch > Debian > Arch > Slack > Arch > Ubuntu Studio > KXStudio > Arch > Manjaro > Arch
At this point I've just resigned myself to using Arch, I thought I would have really enjoyed Manjaro, but sometimes critical security updates don't get pushed very quickly and that bothers me.

arch -> void

ubuntu -> mint -> devuan -> void -> debian

ubuntu>debian>fedora>ubuntu