Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I Don't Think a Four-Year Degree is Necessary to Be Proficient at Coding'

Apple CEO Tim Cook: 'I Don't Think a Four-Year Degree is Necessary to Be Proficient at Coding'

macrumors.com/2019/05/10/apple-ceo-tim-cook-says-no-degree-needed-to-code/
Discuss.

Attached: 2CDF6797-1FFD-4179-9260-B3BFDA719F32.png (420x420, 13K)

Explains a lot about Applel """""""programmers""""""".

Attached: 1550767937718.jpg (2016x1210, 278K)

You can become a proficient code monkey with a quick bootcamp, this is nothing new

What's there to discuss? Is there anyone that thinks you need to go to college to program?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1536596594953.gif (540x304, 1.86M)

This has been true since the dawn of programming.

Next he's going to say that you don't need a degree to be a pro athlete.

t. went to a 5 week bootcamp

t. wasted money and/or time on a cs degree

You can’t code as well as me in 1/40 the time, Ranjesh.

>implying I code at all
Just going by personal experience, the people who unironically studied it usually work for self-taught fags.

He's right. Just don't expect to get through HR without one.

of course you don't, even if you wanted to take courses you can do that online for free, and there's plenty of material to study on your own as well.

but proficiency at programming is mostly just tons of practice and constant improvement. book learning only gets you so far on it's own, but you need both to be one of the best

wtf these are some of the most straightforward operators in existence

you don't even need a computer to program

Correct.

Imagine shitting on Chris Lattner when he invented Swift the 18th most popular language on Earth, led self-driving at Tesla and is now an L9 at Google overseeing Tensorflow

You know very well that neither Tim Cock or everyone ITT has in mind that meaning of programming.

How long until OSX runs on node.js

have an upvote, gentlesir

This -- If you can talk to the hiring authority, you are probably good.

Unfortunately, no one in HR is smart enough to read and understand an resume anymore. Any company who has an HR department that actually gives a shit about what the company does, has a huge edge.

If the company isn't a total joke, the HR people have at least some basic knowledge of the actual job the applicant is supposed to do.

And they will still trash most applications without some relating degree.

Well, most applicants without a degree ARE shitty. If your shit looks interesting and there are some impressive examples of your work, the chances aren't that bad. HRs tend to be roadblocks for most either way and generally the worst way to get a job.

apple pays like shit

Attached: 1550945494241.jpg (935x466, 52K)

How does so much money accumulate around an industry based on unreal things? Is human convenience really the most valuable source of wealth?

>Is human convenience really the most valuable source of wealth?
money == time so yes

based

Like the people you idolize, I learned to program by keying in programs from magazines & books, and doodling around with the computer as a kid.
If college gave me anything, it’s just formalized shit.

Attached: 1454C700-5A33-406A-9297-EDC28EDE75B1.gif (256x342, 9K)

I watched a free Microsoft tutorial on C# in a week and got a 275k/year gig after forging letters of recommendation and impersonating non-existent former employers.

postfix operator ++
postfix func ++(x: inout Num) {
x += 1
}

Was that so hard?

Software engineers at these companies have massive impact. One engineer can write a feature that is used by millions and makes the company millions

yet to get a job at apple you better have a 3.5 or higher from a non shit school

College is just a certificate that shows you can stick with something difficult for an extended period of time

Works on my machine ;^)

I don’t really get the anti college thing. I get that modern real world software dev is just a lot of book keeping, but once you run into some more technical problems or do something that isn’t just remaking facebook slightly different having a theoretical background helps.

I agree with this though

He's not wrong--a four-year degree isn't necessary for proficiency in literally anything. But it's a hollow sentiment until Apple starts disregarding college degrees entirely in their hiring process.

Now its a masters degree or a big portfolio of work or both

your balls must be so fcking big from that you dumbass does it hurt to walk also pozt em on Jow Forums . org pls

it's true what he says, but his motivation is to lower the bar so they can hire more cheap labor.

It isn't. But it's necessary to be a good engineer (at least get the equivalent in self teaching).

really? how many programmers know the difference between ++i and i++ ? Is it readable when used with other statements like k = i++ - j ?
It's just easy to miss when parsing with your eyes.

there is a still difference between removing the """confusing""" part and removing it completely.

Why would they? It's still a sign that the person was committed enough to some shit for 4 years.