Imagine using a pure copper lid on you're delidded cpu

imagine using a pure copper lid on you're delidded cpu

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1600x1600, 252K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-gold-solder-ihs-cpu-pictured/
phys.org/news/2013-07-competitor-diamond-thermal-conductor.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Literally, what is the point. Explain this to me.

Its like scalping yourself just to stick your head in the sand. See my head is covered guys!

Well, when you want the best framerates for your games, you have to prevent a thermonuclear disaster by using the best cooling equipment for your i9-9900k

as extra as this is, it's cool as fuck.

The point is that whatever intel puts between the lid and the chip is not very good, so you replace it with something better.

󠛡>you're

the point is consumerism

what the fuck do you need to tear your cpu apart and buy a copper cover for, to make a temp reading on the go down a few points, this isn't 2004, overclocking isn't a big deal, get a life nerd

>on you are delidded cpu
DELID THIS IM A HUMAN NOT A MUTILATED CPU YOU CIS SCUM

Unless you also have a copper heatsink and safe paste, this a good way to fuck both your fancy new lid and cooler up

this post reads as cope. you are just trying to fight the urge to delid your cpu, which is a relatively dangerous operation that you want to avoid

the new ones are soldered anyway retard, and new cpus and gpus can withstand pretty high temperatures, you can run a decent oc no problem without delidding, and you're probably not doing anything useful with your pc anyway, fuck off to /v/

also you're pissing away money on things like this and thermal paste, it's diminishing returns, the only reason to do this is if you're an ultra-enthusiast who can afford top of the line components, otherwise you're better off putting the money into more important components

Based and copperpilled.

you niggas hating because you can't afford copper

intelaviv housefire garbage is factory overclocked and throttles at stock

>desktop with a soldered CPU

wccftech.com/intel-core-i9-9900k-9th-gen-gold-solder-ihs-cpu-pictured/

the intel cap is already made of copper, it's just plated in a thin layer of zinc alloy. Lap it and you will see that i'm right.

Attached: P1040751 [550x].jpg (549x412, 31K)

based intel. accessory shills btfo

I was just explaining what it is for, not saying you should or not do it.
You should not get personally offended over shit like that, you will not survive very long here.

>fight the urge to delid a thinkpad cpu

half of Jow Forums can't afford a decent mouse and keyboard, get a deathadder elite or the equivalent from your favorite brand and a mid-range mechanical keyboard before you obsess about temp readings (protip you're not supposed to freak out about a 60+C load temp these days)

btw deathadder elite is $45 on amazon it's not crazy expensive

i think ryzen is the same

i'd rather buy copper than try to get the zinc off and breathe in zinc dust

What intel puts in between the cooler and the motherboard is garbage as well.

Pretty sure actual consumerism would be not making the most out of something and buying something new instead

"instead of delidding my 8700k I'm gonna (((upgrade))) to a 9700k"

>zinc dust
You moron. When lapping you use oil while doing this. No dust.

it's $20 for a rockit copper IHS. a bit less for a shitty knockoff. all you get is a few degrees lower cpu temp at best. it won't fucking kill the cpu to run a few degrees higher, if you're running the voltage too high you're gonna kill it anyway. having an extra $20 could make the difference for a budget-oriented pc builder to get a higher-tier gpu for example.

>this isn't 2004, overclocking isn't a big deal, get a life nerd

Attached: trolls.jpg (600x623, 50K)

B-but muh heat transfer n shieeet

Solder copper heat pipes directly on the exposed die.

>not using silver
You're gonna burn up, son.

Deliding on some Intel CPUs lowered temps by 10c at points and that was only changing the thermal compound but now that they have soldered the 9 series you're fucked. Intel want to set your house on fire with their 90c plus O/C temps.

90c isn't even boiling water hot fag

why not just old the cpu cooler on top of the delided cpu? sounds like a waste of money to replace a lid when you can have none on top.

copper oxidizes you retard, it will create a layer with bad contact.

>but now that they have soldered the 9 series you're fucked
Except you can delid the 9700K and 9900K with exactly the same delidding tool as previous chips. At worst you have to turn the chip around once and push it from the other side after moving it a bit on one. Scraping the solder off with a razor blade or the edge of a credit card is slightly more annoying than wiping the paste off, but it's not hard.

10,000 (3048 m) 193.6°F (89.8°C)

Attached: 1551403508355.jpg (842x792, 81K)

I delid my 7700k and my temps went from 90°c to 75°c on my overclock.

and you didn't need a $20 copper cover

>and you didn't need a $20 copper cover
K

Ryzen doesn't have this problem.

It's not even worth it on the 9s as the effort and risk of breaking it for less than 5c gain and it still runs hot as fuck if you O/C past 4.8 regardless of delid. Derbauer had to sand the IHS to get it reasonably comparable to the 8's temp wise.

This needs answering.

Didn't old AMD processors have naked dyes you put the cooler on directly? - didn't seem to cause any problems.

Isn't the 9900k's heat problem mostly retarded motherboard manufacturers setting the voltages way too high?

Also stop buying retarded AIO water loops, they're literally just air cooling on a rope.

A bigger surface area dissipates the heat more evenly and helps to get rid of hot spots. There are also very small and delicate parts under the lid which if damaged or shorted would fuck the cpu.

Intel lied about the TDP of it below spec because they knew how hot it was but didn't tell motherboard makers or even the public they did it. It says 95w on the site but runs lower and when you put it at 95w it turns into a toaster.

I'm torn on this stuff. On the one hand it's a practical solution and a pretty cool enthusiast thing to lap or relid your CPU, on the other hand I like to keep my old CPUs and I'd hate having CPUs with zero labeling or engravings around.

Also in case of soldered CPUs didn't GN show that the lion's share of temperature improvements comes from lapping an overly hot CPU, and that fitting it with liquid metal and a custom lid (besides the chance of destroying it) only gets another degree or two over a lapped unit?

Attached: 1541084786996.jpg (480x480, 62K)

More like 100+ on the shitel cpus

60C was the rule of thumb back in the day, these days you can easily do 80+ no problem at all, the cpus are known to last for years and years as long as you don't have the voltage too high

>the only reason to do this is if you're an ultra-enthusiast who can afford top of the line components
actually it's autism

Simply false. Delidding alone shaved 8 degrees off for him, which is totally worth it and took the chip back down into the 80s even under AVX load at 5GHz on all cores. Sanding down the die took off another 5 degrees, but is by no means necessary.

This.
You shouldn't seek free performance with overclocking but buy a new CPU to support American companies

80+ C only became the norm because any processor generation after sandy bridge basically became impossible to cool properly and sticking to 60C would have gotten you nowhere
A lot of unmodified Intel CPUs can't even stay below 60C at stock even on a good cooler
The reason you see people run at 80-90C now isn't because CPUs have gotten more heat tolerant it's because people had to lower their standards because Intel has lowered theirs

wtf i should have bought intel now!!!

Attached: 1557390978632.png (500x500, 170K)

>didn't seem to cause any problems.
People broke their CPUs all the time when installing/removing the heatsink.

>3019
>Being a diamondlet

The material is was not the issue, it was the thickness of the die.
They should've made a thinner die and temps would be much better.

Attached: 123191-Intel-coffee-refresh-der8auer-7.jpg (720x253, 45K)

Microscopic layer of zinc has better thermal conductivity than sizeable layer of copper rust.

your a newfag

Why stop at copper? That'd be ~$20 of silver

Silver? Why not gold already? You want the best performance, don't you?

IHS are nickle-plated copper. This would only be valuable if there was some guarantee that these heatspreaders were flatter and smoother for XOC.

Gold would be a significant downgrade from copper.

It's our culture newfag. Like Santania and keyboard generals.

imagine trying so hard to fit in

I mean by that metric whats under the cooler is fucking garbage as well

I mean you can direct die cool but its more risky

then stop buying them
its not hard
its not like there any cross compatibility or upgrade path youd be abandoning

literally everyone for the past forever has been doing the same thing

laptops dont have IHS'

go back reddit

cope

Attached: .jpg (1280x720, 109K)

its a better solution to not buy from the company that deliberately uses toothpaste in their cpus

also yeah lapping is a meme

t. stock intel cooler user

imagine the chronic overheating? my sides. in orbit.
>what the fuck do you need to tear your cpu apart and buy a copper cover for
people that delid their cpus are morons to begin with. and they're sure as gullible as fuck for thinking some giant piece of copper is going to make any difference.

I mean no shit the 8 core requires twice the power of the quad core version.

>you're
Stop it

>not using titanium
enjoy needing to repeatedly delid your cpu for cleaning b/c copper corrosion lol

no thanks
I don't want gypsies to steal my cpu

It's nickel played not zinc. The point of the replacement ihs is its actually properly flat and has more surface area to transfer heat to the cooler. Notice how in the picture you posted not all the copper is exposed, because the sides are much lower than the center.

You can get similar results as the replacement ihs by lapping, but it's time consuming. Considering how many people here claim that their time is too valuable to even build their own computer, $20 on a replacement ihs is a hell of a lot cheaper than lapping the stock one for 1-2 hours by hand.

kek

Attached: 149378327-288-k105091.jpg (288x450, 25K)

>lid
It's called an IHS you fucktard

but intel good I want intel

Some aftermarket IHS have different dimensions than Intel's stock one. Like different thickness or even surface area, which can change the cooling performance. Also having exposed copper is slightly better than nickel plating for performance, but the nickel protects against corrosion so it's a trade-off between performance and longevity. You can also get some made from high grade copper or even silver.

>2400 not having a crystal data matrix

Attached: 14460ST_dilithium_mints_closed.jpg (380x380, 25K)

could just lap the heat spreader. there is actually copper inside of heat spreaders.

>shaved 8 degrees off for him, which is totally worth it
>took off another 5 degrees, but is by no means necessary

Attached: 1526742531322.png (645x773, 11K)

everyone is going to tear this post apart, but it's 100% correct and everyone is mad that their fucking stupid overclocks are pointless and there's no real fucking reason to do this shit anymore since it adds no real bonus to anything you're doing anymore especially since most Jow Forums users are just consumerist retards who buy this shit just to post in battlestation threads to impress other anonymous people on the fucking internet

Pressure distribution. There are direct die kits, Der8auer made some, and there were some kits available from Aliexpress for a bunch of different Intel chips. Even with them you're liable to overtorque and fuck up the chips.

It is already copper. Why not just grind the anodized surface off, if you -really- need to expose the copper.
But at this point, why not just contact the die directly to the heatsinks bottom.

it's almost like the stock lid on a CPU is copper.
Now if you want ot make a "lid" out of gold with microchanels built in for ultra high efficiency water cooling, then that would be something.

phys.org/news/2013-07-competitor-diamond-thermal-conductor.html

:thinking_emoji:

silver has the best heat transfer of non-exotic materials

derbauer sits in a chair and jerks off while other people fuck his girl in his bed

*sips*
Yep, they don't direct die cool like they used to.