Why didn't MS-DOS come with a calculator? Aren't computers already calculators?

Why didn't MS-DOS come with a calculator? Aren't computers already calculators?

Attached: 2000px-StartingMsdos2.jpg (2000x1125, 81K)

>why didn't pajeet shit come with [basic feature]
We could be here all day, user. But discussing how shit Microsoft software is is redundant.

Batch interpreter is a calculator, ur just 2 dum to use it

@echo off
set A=echo
set B=goto
if "%1" == "" %B%C
set C=%1

:A
shift
if "%1" == "" %B%B
set C=%B%%1
%B%A

:B
%A%.
set /a D=%C%
%A% %C% = %D%
%B%D

:C
%A%.
%A% No input!

:D
exit /b

Attached: Untitled.png (668x331, 7K)

What a retarded shell.

what 's a shell?

Sorry, prakesh, I forgot your English isn't very good.

That's not very user friendly. How is grandma supposed to figure that out

k, wtf are you even talking about?

examples,

calc 3+5
calc 6*2
calc 10/5

>k, wtf are you even talking about?
Don't worry about it. Just eat your curry.

>curry

??? Is there some forced meme I'm missing?

Windows users are pajeets.

And, what is that?

It is the truth.

No I mean how is grandma supposed to know how to write a batch script

Sad... Kids these days. :P

You're not making any sense at all.

So by "grandma" you mean you. You can't script? Why are you using MS-DOS then?

>You're not making any sense at all.
I said don't worry, pajeet. You wouldn't understand anyway.

MS-DOS was supposed to be a home computer OS for your average person was it not. You shouldn't need to have scripting knowledge.

>MS-DOS was supposed to be a home computer OS for your average person was it not.

You were born after 2000 I see. People who bought PCs, that had MS-DOS as their main OS, were not in any respect, "average." Back then "nerd" actually meant something specific and not the generalized social media hip inclusion group it means now. If you didn't know how to make a batch file you simply didn't use MS-DOS. The first thing you did was to edit autoexec.bat and config.sys.

Attached: 1557486947873.gif (170x192, 2.92M)

No, he is right. MS-DOS was basically the poverty stricken OS for retards. It was what the people too poor and stupid for UNIX used.

>wanting more bloat on your floppy.

>You were born after 2000 I see.

Nailed it.

This.

I am 100% right. You know I am, pajeet. That is the truth. MS-DOS was never designed for or used as an OS for anything but home users. It was garbage for retards then and still is today.

Sure thing, kid. lol

Yep, you are the kid here, pajeet. I realise you were too poor and retarded for anything but a pathetic home computer running MS-DOS, the retard OS. People who were adults then got to work with real computers running far more advanced operating systems. I bet you played computer games, too. Stupid pajeet baby. Grow the fuck up.

What UNIX options were there for home use?

IBM PC's with MS-DOS competed against Commodore's, not against servers.

>home use
Remote connections.
>IBM PC's with MS-DOS competed against Commodore's, not against servers.
Or workstations. MS-DOS was a glorified toy.

>Remote connections.

HAHAHAHAHAHA using a 2400 baud modem?
Kids are funny.

Life must be hard for you.

Attached: Not Like.jpg (1800x1578, 165K)

Growing up in a fiber optic world skews your perception of the past, kid.

t. Microjeet
It was common.

ITT zoomer vs pajeet

why couldn't gates have produced some software?

What are those?

it's still the default shell

These are the same people who think remote connections are too futuristic, despite UNIX chads doing it since the 70s. They're dumb fucks/

That isn't the shell.

It's the curry?

Because DOS always came bundled with some form of BASIC language.

Attached: qbasic_002.png (640x400, 4K)

BASIC is DOS calculator

Imagine projecting this hard

also DOS NAVIGATOR have calculator

Qbasic is better than a calculator, it came with that or another basic language before that.

This, indeed.

wow this one is getting mad

Because it's ONLY a boot-environment..

I remember having fibre internet in the late 90s when I lived in NYC that was faster than the internet I not have, over 20 years later, in Australia. Feels incredibly bad to be an ausfag.

* I now have

dosshell is a shell, cmd is a command prompt, and dos shell is a file manager, kids

maybe it's because he wasn't qualified in anything

Much the same here. Tech has gone backwards to some degree due to bloat and throttling. All in the name of more money and planned obsolescence.

i blame java
java hasn't become anything but an introverted mess because microshit never allowed it to escape from it's box

Everything above machine code is pretty much shit so there's that I guess.

Also Australia, despite being one of the most developed countries in the world, has worse internet speeds than Kenya.

pretty fucking advanced
yeah
CPM
fuck gates

Back in the days of the first home computers they usually came with a guide or you bought a book on how to use them.
First people to learn how to use computers where people who had to learn how to use them for work or enthusiasts.
Also storage was pretty expensive. If the OS did not need it to work then it wasnt included.

had 25mb/s with 'bulldog' in uk a long long time ago. of course it was a ll a scam, they couldnb't eveen provide a phone c&w i was phoning up, (their owner) .. they couldn'#t even respond. was a standard british tech exploit and get out fast scenario, supporrted by the good old yanks
now there is no interenet/sgtructure, period.
you are lucky if you get 5/mbs with good old british telecom (who decided they have become a 'media' company, and tey can't even run that. they sell copper fraudulently as fiber. more good old british technology fraud, supported by the great americans

i had a ring binder manual for zx81 i remember
peek and poke
my first program was a dissembler

Until 5 years ago, DSL wasn't available here where I live in the states. I was using dial up until 2014. I can still hear modem handshake squeals in my sleep. The best ADSL2+ connection I can get is 6944/1027kbps. I tried satellite, holy fuck that was worse than dial-up since it would throttle speeds to below dial-up speed and all dynamic IPs in their bag were banned on pretty much all websites.

zx81 -> acorn electron -> amstrad pc1512 -> compaq aero 386 notepad -> pcs

I still have the MS-DOS 5 user guide and list of commands. I must have read that thing 10 times front to back.

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x260, 9K)

Based.

why

On the topic of internet something similar is happening in my shithole but with bandwidth datacaps. Those essentially didn't exist and only the shittiest unused providers offered them, until the popularization of the mobile internet and phoneposting.
Now everyone is running around with few gb caps on their very smart phones. And unless you are willing to get jewed you'll be enjoying 500mb that gets eaten in few minutes by the automatic updates you most likely have no idea exist in the first place.
Not sure if conspiracy to fight piracy, technological regression, or just hardcore judaism. Either those or I'm getting old.

Not him but when you have good guide its nice to keep it and read it.(speaking about my psp handbook)

used to have mainframe manuals
some
still got COMM-LOG manual
background tsrs for communications

yeah but ms/dos is nothing
you think of the software that was around even before then

The only thing in miss about Linux is a terminal.

Because computer professionals had HP RPN calculators on their desks.

Business uses had HP finance calculators on their desks.

he qualified in eugenics
misanthropy
how he managed to run it all into the ground
the customer is despicable
a mark

they never got a platform
what happens when a little elite brat gets the control

it shoulda been xerox
it shoulda been jobs
serious people
gates is a criminal piece of shit, like his president

Sure but my point is that if a book is good even if you know every page it still nice to read.

reading the dos manual is a story of waste

Command line tools are a lot more helpful now in terms on showing their full usage. Having some kind of reference nearby for old dos stuff was sometimes helpful.

the whole OS was in the BIOS
turn it on bing, that was it.

READY

or

>

>so many autistic insta kids... it's sad

MS-Dos was never intended to be user friendly. At the beginning was licensed to OEM's to install their shit on top of it. Now they so an opportunity and developed windows which was installed on top of MS-DOS (from version 2.0) and then became mainstream.

remote connections meant having that 2400bps modem in auto answer mode and your system configured to allow logins from that serial line.

Used to wardial and guess passwords all the time. Better yet, if they had a shitty setup, it wouldn't detect that their session ended and you'd call right in and get to whatever prompt they were at.

So are most books desu.
I mean you could always get a unix book. Or just use man. Making the book obsolete.
You could also get a computer history book. That will be useless.
Or you could get a physics book and never do anything with the knowledge. That is also useless.
Dont even get me started in the uselessness of 99% of philosophy books.
Or some kind of light novel, god those are useless.
But people still buy them so i guess it doesnt matter if something is useless.

gates et al, managed to elevate micros into a whole artform, shit, to extract money from idiots (the marks), paying eternally for fixes/improvemwents to the non-working nothing OS, or "enhancements", which are facilities that would havebeen built into a data driven OS of design. microshit are still in the 90s, their infastructure is still 'dos and the spreadsheet'. gates et al, have damaged the world, regressed it, with their micro-monopoly. it suits the nationalists now, there is hardly any requirement for brain cells lately. look at trump, look at theresa may, We are at the end point - entropy, decay, failure. Gates accelarated it

you gotta applaud the award winning'innovators'
getting cash is the only thing
now he can use it to eradicate with his eugenics, the elitism that enabled him to rape the market, because he has no standards, because he despises the human race - that he learnt from his farther
'you are an elite, boy' go forth and steal

computer history books are not useless
they are an analysis of where all the mistakes happend. they are completly relevant. they are essential.

they are in the 80s.
it wasn't an enterprise to provide anything, it wasn't an enterprise ever, to progress, enhance (microsoft) it never.

advanced

win 10 is a regression
why don't they write the whole stack off
they can't because that is their whole criminal 'enterprise' .. real programmers stick around, real programmers provide solutions. the idiot gates was incaple from the start of grasping any serious concepts, other than his eugenics, other than his self assertion, in that he considers he has a right to steal. windows 1 was a cheap knock off, nasty impression of the xerox innovation (that which it would not have been able to create the GUI without). It's a nasty hack job, it always was, and that is why it could never develop (advance, progress, enhance). gates is a piece of shit. just like trump being your fucking "president". he is destroying/regressing .. trumps pa told him he was an elite too. gave him all the fucking money he wanted to wreck, to destroy, continually -- these people have never been told "no". the frauds, the misanthropes

It had a list of all the commands and how to use them properly. Hmmm....how to I put this in a way you'll understand. Ah! ....A user guide book is like a wikipage, kid.

in the 20s there were a bunch of young men going round who were obsessed with radios, building them.

Many industrial computers still run DOS including those on many CNC machines where replacing an OS and computer which works perfectly and is utterly stable would be stupidly expensive because downtime costs production reduces profit.

>home use
Remote connections.

Were impractical for many users. Dumbass detected. It wasn't a money issue, it was a connectivity issue.

It's fine to be yung but there's no excuse for ignorance.

Jesus fuck, this thread is full of underaged morons.

16 year old WikiBoomers give me actual fucking brain damage.

Attached: 1482783597496.png (500x464, 346K)

Use FreeDOS you fucking homosexual

>MS-DOS without any of the reasons to use MS-DOS
Fucking why

The sad thing is that MS-DOS came out in the 90s and there are still linux and BSD OSes that are stuck in DOS mode.

what is it about retro tech threads that attract so many absolute drooling fucking retards like this

I think he was banned or something judging from the missing post ITT.

Just because it has "DOS" in the name doesn't mean it is the same tool for the same job.

What is "DOS mode"?

Name them. shitskin.

Many regular people did use MS-DOS either for a job or home use, with only minimal understanding of it. They knew how to follow directions that came with programs and add stuff verbatim to autoexec.bat and config.sys, and some basic commands like cd, copy, del.

Later, people just had to know you type win to get back into Windows if you've exited it.

average dos era pc user could navigate directories, change drives, format a disk, and type "dir *.exe" to find the name of the executable. This is basically the same level as most arch/gentoo users today but without the smugness.

He did write DONKEY.BAS, the single most based game in history.

Of all the people who used MS-DOS, all of them were way way past that point. All the "normies" of that time didn't use it at all and had other people set things up for them. Back then buying a PC at a store was like buying a car. You had financing and a "dealership" and a staff at the "dealership" would install things for you. For those normaies who bought after market programs, they either stopped being normies or had nerds they knew of do it for them. The world was nothing like it is now.