Some of my buddies insist on using this proprietary piece of software, but i'd rather keep my privacy to myself

some of my buddies insist on using this proprietary piece of software, but i'd rather keep my privacy to myself
so i thought maybe there was a way to bridge discord with some other im protocol, like xmpp or matrix, and i was able to quickly find some solutions, but all of the bridges i've found are only concerned about bridging """servers""" and require the use of a discord bot, but i think it would be much better if the bridge operated like purple-discord, which is a libpurple implementation of the discord protocol, but that's got its own issues as well
do you know of a readily available discord bridge which would also work for direct messages, and not only "servers", out of the box?
or am i better off trying to make a bridge out of purple-discord by scripting pidgin/finch or coding up my own client designed to use purple-discord?

Attached: discord_main.jpg (980x620, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/How-to-make-VoIP-calls-from-Raspberry-Pi/
discordapp.com/developers/docs/resources/guild
github.com/42wim/matterbridge
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

Get friends who aren't faggot redditors

Double bump

Just run it in a sandbox and don't post anything you don't want them to harvest. They can't magically extract information you don't give.

Discord is bridgeable with webhooks. Thing is, you'll need to bridge each channel on Discord with a room on Matrix separately. VoIP will not work though.

the vast majority of discord users are trannies

>buddies
>but i'd rather keep my privacy to myself
Pick one

Honestly this. If you're really concerned you could run Discord in a jail of sorts.

Where do you find these people? I don't know a single person who uses it.

>I don't know anyone under 30
It's popular because it's free and you can use voice, text, and video while swapping files.

Why hasn't anyone reversed this shitty software yet? I don't want the dumb store or the other useless features, I just want plain chat and voice chat, I don't even care about video calls or streams.

If you play multiplayer games, sooner or later someone will ask your discord. Guilds, clans, factions etc every active group in multiplayer games uses it, unfortunately.

Attached: 1256250534447.jpg (596x627, 40K)

use irc like a real man and not like a tranny.
>some of my buddies insist on using this proprietary piece of software, but i'd rather keep my privacy to myself
considering it isn't open source and you can share livestreams of your desktop environment or audio from the mic, then you've made a wise choice. that shit is cancer.

Why would someone bother to make a new chat client when a bunch already exist? Steam has built in voice/text group chat and everyone already has steam installed.
If you want to run your own server you can just go back to using Mumble or Vent.

Being open sores wouldn't help. You're still using their servers.

>>I don't know anyone under 30
not everyone under 30 is this retarded and are very happy to use the non-cancerous IRC protocol that isn't being monitored for wrong-think by angry furries and trannies, making sure everyone complies with the rules. oh, the best part is such angry trannies and furry mods can sit in your "server" as a ghost user, collecting evidence and will more than happy to share your information with the police and to kill your "server" on the flimsiest of excuses.
> but.. but.. discord is free!
so is cancer but nobody wants it.
yep. you're right. fuck that.

I just want access to the Discord service without having to go though all the useless bloat that it comes with and the data mining as well, I'm sure discord scans all my processes and who knows what else. I have already resigned to the fact that my calls and messages will be datamined forever in DIscord so I want to at least prevent what little spying can be prevented. If the people I met in multi didn't constantly bug me to get on discord I wouldn't even bother, yes I know steam has similar features but I don't use steam for the same reasons, I've used it only once also because I was asked to. The people I know won't bother to change voip/chat software just for my sake, I'm not even trying that.

>muh irc
If you want text only then good for you. If you want text, voice, and video there are no free as in freedom options.

>and everyone already has steam installed.
That's false

>If you want to run your own server you can just go back to using Mumble or Vent.
Discord does more than these, it has a proper chat client, you can stay online on multiple servers at once, you have private messaging, you don't need some fucking IRC bouncer to receive messages when you're offline, it has video calls, creating your own server and sharing it takes about 3 clicks. If it wasn't propriety and electron Jow Forums would be slobbing all over it because it's actually good.

XMPP

ripcord?

>ripcord
Is it FOSS? as I read on the website it's free but I can't find any mentions of the source code and it also says it's going to be paid software in the future. I don't need a dataminer with a different name.

>this is false
Autists excluded of course.

>if it wasn't proprietary Jow Forums would love it
Jow Forums would whine about using Discord servers, and if it didn't people would whine about "exposing your IP" like they did with Tox.

I'm glad I don't have friends.

It's proprietary.

>or am i better off trying to make a bridge out of purple-discord by scripting pidgin/finch or coding up my own client designed to use purple-discord?
There are discord API wrappers for various languages, which are probably better than going through libpurple. They're all intended for writing bots, but the bot API is actually the same as the normal client API, except they don't document how to get an auth token for a normal user account since they don't want people writing third-party clients [[botnet intensifies]]. It's pretty easy to figure out, though, if you watch a login in the chrome websocket debugger.

Don't use it. Stay on mumble, matrix or ring. Or if you have to, you can use the FOSS desktop Facebook app.

lmao, just use discord, you will be fine.

>creating your own server and sharing it takes about 3 clicks.
No, creating your own ROOM takes about three clicks. The fact that they abandoned standard terminology to deliberately make their service seem better doesn't change the fact.
Creating your own SERVER is all but impossible; maybe someone has reverse-engineered some hodge-podge solution, but since the official client has zero support for custom servers, you'd also need to modify the client, and at this point you're just using a clone or fork at best.

What's the difference between using discord and using a pc with a proprietary motherboard and processor that is probably running its own parallel OS and accessing everything you do?

are you having a stroke

Interfacing with their servers through a third party client using their API, as opposed to using the official client using the same API, won't magically make them unable to datamine you.
If you want to prevent the client from datamining unrelated processes, just run the web client. Modern JS sandboxing is quite decent, since JS is interpreted it's a lot easier to analyse than a compiled binary so intentional exploits would probably have made waves already, and you can just turn off JS features like clipboard access in your browser to avoid it trying to hoover what it does have the ability to see.
(Obviously turn off shit like WASM which is known to be a minefield of vulns and information leaks.)

>I just want access to the Discord service without having to go though all the useless bloat that it comes with and the data mining as well, I'm sure discord scans all my processes and who knows what else.
use the web client you dumdum
same goes for OP
if you use the web client then the only thing they track is your IP, probably mouse events, and the messages you send and who you send them to.
Your messages would still be tracked when using a shitty bridge

The difference is that you now have to two external actors with access to private information as opposed to just one.

Because:
1. You can wipe most sectors on IME (as long as your processor isn't TOO recent), to make it almost certainly useless
2. It has been extensively studied, and while it is known to have remote management features (which is used in various corporate setups and was never a secret), I don't think anyone has uncovered any sort of telemetry ever; the main issues are either the possibility of vulns, or some hypothetical concerns based mostly on principle (in comparison, Discord literally states they collect a fuckton of data in their T&Cs, and to my knowledge was never audited or scrutinised in depth)
3. There are plenty of corporations which carefully monitor their network traffic, and use modern CPUs. Any unidentified telemetry would have almost certainly made the news. In contrast, Discord telemetry is a known fact

Note that I am in NO WAY WHATSOEVER justifying it defending IME. But it's an entirely different type of problem.

I create my on server and they host it, stay upset

Attached: 2019-05-12_19:58:02.png (652x294, 21K)

>some of my buddies
>young boys I want to groom
Pick one

According to this definition you're still very much using their servers.
Maybe you would have a very slight argument if they spun up a new instance of their server software for you. Even then, you'd be a retard and wrong. But there's zero evidence that they do even that, and Occam's Razor suggest that there's no reason for them to do this.

OK, I pick the first one.

Be insistent and force your friends to use superior software even at their whining. It works if you’re not an unlikeable retard.

If you rented an apartment would you not call it your own apartment? Just curious how far you're willing to take this autism.

Pssst, hey kid, want some VoIP?
instructables.com/id/How-to-make-VoIP-calls-from-Raspberry-Pi/

No, I would call it my apartment. If I rented a server I would also call it my server. (Depends on the context of course: in some cases it might be important to state that I don't actually own either.)
However, if I came into someone's apartment as a guest, I would absolutely not call it my apartment. Discord doesn't rent you a server, they just let you click a button and have a dedicated set of channels on their existing servers. You're walking in as a guest, alongside all the other people using the exact same server at the same time.
Literally neither the hardware server, not even the software server are separate. The only "server" that is separate from what everyone else is using is Discord's definition of a server, otherwise known to normal people as a room. To further the guest parallel, they can kick you out at any time they please for any whim, and you have zero rights to remain or grounds for complaining: that's not how a renting tenant can be treated, for example.

Now you're altering the definition mention in that screenshot

No, see

>server
Please use the official term "guild"

This. They're called "guilds" throughout the entire API. Seems like they changed the name at the last minute for marketing purposes. "Hey, why not replace your crappy old TeamSpeak server with a shiny new DISCORD server!"

>except they don't document how to get an auth token for a normal user account since they don't want people writing third-party clients
It isn't documented because it is against their ToS to automate your normal user account.

A third-party client isn't automation though. Of course they still would hate you for doing it, but it's not automation. (The ToS probably take that into account, though.)

>ghost mods
Give me one ounce of proof this happens on Discord.

>buddies insist on using this proprietary software
>i'd rather keep my privacy to myself

ok no friends then

It probably doesn't. They don't need to sit in your server when they can dig up anything you've ever posted from the server-side logs, or just watch them scroll by in real time.

Now you're being autistic. Not the guy you're replying to, but you're just a pedantic ass.
t. moved out of onioncord to a self-hosted Matrix server

Just use it with the knowledge that anything you publish on there can be accessed by a furry discord employee

Lose some of your buddies.

>it's going to be paid software in the future.
Only its Slack client will be paid.
It doesn't mean much, but I doubt the developer is datamining. He interacts with and assists users often.

whats the point? they sill keep and scan all your chatlogs
either use it or dont

At over 200 million users you just stated that a large percentage of the world population are trannies. You might want to try and experience the real world a bit.

In the developer documentation they actually correctly refer to them as guilds: discordapp.com/developers/docs/resources/guild

They actually have a grasp on how normal people use software where normies are unconcerned with what a server actually is which is why it's been so successful.

he just doesn't visit any servers other than trans ones, gender reveal soon!

yes: github.com/42wim/matterbridge