Is there any point in making a personal website anymore? Besides as a hobby, I suppose...

Is there any point in making a personal website anymore? Besides as a hobby, I suppose. It really seems as if everyone is on a monopolised megasite (which everyone else is on for convenience) which isn't yours, datamines you, and doesn't respect your privacy at all.

There will be no traffic to your site. No one will even know it exists. At least with [megasite] there is a chance you can be discovered, I guess. You can interact with others there conveniently as well.

I say this not to be a doomer but to genuinely question what, besides personal accomplishment or gratification, is the point of a personal webpage now? In my mind I can't justify it, and it's not that I don't want to. I'd like to go back before the monopolisation.

Attached: 1555492744152.jpg (584x657, 231K)

Plenty of people have thier own webiste. Just link it in your twitter profile and peopel will wvisit ot.

What if you don't have or want a twitter profile as that contradicts the idea of not giving in to monopolies?

just make a facebook page.

I maintain a site as a place to collect things I've learned. I make a blog post articulating whatever I have to say and whenever I need to refer back to it, I know where it is. I don't have to worry about losing it or having restricted access if I decide to close my account on $MEGA_SITE. It really comes down to personal preference. If you can't produce reasoning, a normal fag such as yourself is probably better off without a personal website. And that's okay fella.

Because you'll get banned for not bootlicking big corporations.

You're full of shit, I visit people's websites all the time, especially when they post relevant or interesting technical information/tutorials on it.

You can't provide warez or anime downloads/streams/torrents on monopoly websites. I still don't understand how can KA get away with using YT to stream stuff, they must be using like 1500 disposable accounts.

Nice joke

in your case even having your own thread is too much desu

Op on suicide watch

You don't need a website for that to be fair

Same feeling here. I had my own server for a while. I had between 50 and 200 hacking attempts per day. Most of them from shithole eastern Europe countries, one even from a US county courthouse. My guestbook would be spammed with links to malware sites. No real people came by. So I gave up after a while.

>mfw

Attached: 1420192940077.png (2560x2489, 553K)

If you start predicating everything on what you "need" you'll end up with a pretty short list with things like air food shelter and water on it. It's not about what you need as that's a silly metric in this respect. It's a question of preference and workflow. My preference is to keep my stuff on my site. My tools are based on a workflow that is easier and more convenient to me than the alternative. So easy and convenient that it would not be possible to make it more so any other way which is the underlying question in the OP. Is there a "poi in making a personal website. Yes, for me it makes my life easier. It's as simple as it is.

But that is for personal use. My entire point of the post was the monopolisation of interaction with others, really. Maybe I didn't make it clear because I was phoneposting or something but that was it. The centralisation of communication and exposure via the Internet.

fuck this gay earth

I plan on making one as a portfolio where people can read a blog post for my projects and see my motivations/methods instead of just looking at a GitHub repo.

I had one that I turned into a sort of start page for myself (since I didn't really expect other people to goto it anyway). It was just a fun hobby I guess. I added a bunch of RSS feeds (back when they had them) to different news sites, and also made a google portal on it, along with pages I created about my projects/interests and some easter eggs. It can be fun at least if you make it useful just for your self.

They're good for web devs. I have one instead of linkedin to showcase my portfolio, resume, education, etc for potential employers and clients.

Websites are only good for companies now... Luke Smith was right. We need to take back the internet, and the way to do so is to start making our own websites again.

If you have a personal page and it is connected to enough updating entities, you can affect search results for your name

There was never a point in the ego homepage. That's why they died out. Nobody cared and nobody visited them. You can make a personal website as a portfoilio or if you're an important person, otherwise there has never been a point

>Is there any point in making a personal website anymore?
If you have a lot of data that can be best displayed in a specialized manner.

>There will be no traffic to your site.
If you actually have something special to put out there will, no one will naturally care if it's of no value to anyone.

Who?

I want to make a website. I know how to program but I've never even touched web stuff. Like what do you do after you buy a domain name?

What the fuck are you even on about? Learn to advertise.

gross

>I want friends
>go out and make friends
>no!

>I want visits to my website
>advertise it
>no!

user....

Attached: shitposting intensifies.gif (598x473, 208K)

This is honestly the worst type of website

Literally created just to self aggrandize to HR people and prospective employers. For everyone else, they suck.

I have a personal website with a few tutorials, utilities, and art projects on it. I got an email the other morning from some guy who said he liked it. Made my day.

>What is the point of a personal webpage now?
Personal usage of services configured by yourself for yourself
>There will be no traffic to your site. No one will even know it exists
That's a good thing

Attached: 1556730995812.jpg (1080x1350, 89K)

You're a fucking idiot if this question isn't a troll.

Are you even remotely aware of all the Big Corporation censorship going on right now? Take Alex Jones as an extreme example. He is banned EVERYWHERE online yet is still able to maintain his infowars site.

Not only do you have extra layers of reliability to keep your content up, you are taking traffic away from the big sites.

I wouldn't be surprised if this by proxy is funded by social media giants to demotivate site owners.

This is why I'm in favor of YouTube censorship. The more they censor, the more decentralized the web becomes.

but really it doesn't because the only people who watch alex jones are massively retarded

They definitely are retarded (and I wouldn't blame any site for banning him, even mid '00s /b/ banned raids), but any push towards decentralisation is great.

Advertising is the cancer of this age. First it was only done to spread awareness of an idea. Now it's done to subvert and manipulate consumers. All advertisement is death to your free will.

Also,
You can only trust word of mouth.

Then learn to deal with it fag.

Put it on your business card and if your content is good enough wait for someone to re-tweet it.

you can barely trust that anymore i've found