Wikipedia says the Nokia 7110 is a 1G only phone, however I put a 4G sim card into it and was able to make calls...

Wikipedia says the Nokia 7110 is a 1G only phone, however I put a 4G sim card into it and was able to make calls. Considering 4G wasn't even invented when the phone was made, I'm a big confused.

Attached: 41ixCMw+-kL._SX425_.jpg (425x359, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

travel.stackexchange.com/questions/86440/does-the-european-number-for-emergencies-112-really-work-in-germany
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number
youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I remember when I worked for an operator (around the time 3-3.5G was still kinda new) they kept backwards compatibility for older devices and as fallback, sounds like sim cards are built to be backwards compatible as well

SIM cards don't have radios in them.

are you retarded?

Attached: pr.gif (400x221, 1.67M)

You can also remove the SIM card, and still dial 911. Bet your mind is fucking blown, huh?

Not in EUROPE you can't

Yes. What of it?

It pisses me off that the EMERGENCY CALL button is right where the 'confirm pin number' button should be and it's 100X as big as it should be.

Just in case you are genuinely this retarded, 3G/4G connections are not the same thing as GSM communications. The latter has never changed since it was originally invented.

>1g
no, that's 2g.
op probably lives in some third world nation that still has 2g support and SIMs that are compatible with such old phones.

SIM = Subscriber identification module

It's like a login name+password to the cellular network. It has nothing to do with the connection type.

Yes you can, emergency codes work internationally so that burgers can dial 911 while on vacation.

You can, all of the common international emergency numbers are redirected to 112.

Wrong! You cannot dial any emergency number without a sim in europe

>Yes, it violates the GSM standard, but calling emergency services in Germany from a cell phone requires an active SIM card. The reason was to prevent hoax calls from inactive, and therefore unidentifiable cellphones.

Forgot the link

travel.stackexchange.com/questions/86440/does-the-european-number-for-emergencies-112-really-work-in-germany

I've tried it, doesn't work without a sim.

>On some networks, a GSM phone without a SIM card may be used to make emergency calls, and most GSM phones accept a larger list of emergency numbers without SIM card, such as 112, 911, 118, 119, 000, 110, 08, and 999. However, some GSM networks will not accept emergency calls from phones without a SIM card, or even require a SIM card that has credit. For example, Latin American networks typically do not allow emergency calls without a SIM.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_telephone_number

That's only Germany. Our dispatch centers in Hungary accept calls without SIM cards. Could link sources to that, but you couldn't decipher them so I don't bother (web translators are unusable for Hungarian)

doesn't work in the UK

Yes because your emergency services number isn't 911 it's 01189998819991197253

Nope, it's 999

Your SIM can make calls over 4G, 2G, 3G, and 1G. Normally you put your phone into a phone that has 4G and it makes 4G calls. Now you put it into a phone that has 1G and it made a 1G call.
This isn't rocket science.

It was an IT Crowd reference lole
youtube.com/watch?v=ab8GtuPdrUQ