Case fans

Are case fans a même or do they actually matter? I was thinking of buying pic related but I sort of thought I might be wiping my ass with $20. What case fans do the Supreme Jow Forumsentlemen use?

Attached: Screenshot_20190512-151357~2.png (720x1194, 189K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/8OmkmluAYAQ
bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/the-big-cooling-investigation/10/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Noctua and Be Quiet, thank me later

i use these. they function at spinning. if they are cheaper then other options get em.

You definitely want case fans, otherwise the hot air from the HSF inside a case will just recycle due to turbulence and basically become trapped. The more directed your airflow is the better. Arctic case fans are pretty decent imo. They're a type of rifle bearing so they should last longer than bushings but they're not ball bearings like you find on heatsink fans

Good airflow and good temperatures are a meme
it doesnt matter if your cpu hits 100c degrees and starts metling

case fans don't matter as much as airflow. same airflow in as out is what's important. you can get better temps with two fans that are positioned properly over five fans that aren't.

Not really a meme, but after 3 you get diminishing gains and most modern cases already come with 3, so it's not really a priority. I used 3 intake and 2 exhaust, but only because the top exhaust is one of the most important positions for airflow, so i fill it and added 3 fans as intake just to guarantee i have positive air pressure.

Noctua (NF-S12A is the airflow model but get the NF-P12 or NF-F12 if you're using it on a position that has filters), Gentle Typhoon, fans that use the patented Matsushita Fluid Dynamic Bearing design such as Cougar Vortex (good and cheap), Be Quiet BQT T12025-MF-3, SilverStone Air Penetrator AP121, Zalman ZM-F3 FDB. Are all excellent, moves lots of air and will last for a very long time.

Those look like static pressure fans. Unless you're putting them in rads you probably want airflow ones.

Thanks. I need 1 fan for my cpu cooler, which can accept 3 but currently only has 2, and a total of 5 fans for my case (2 intake, 2 top exhaust, 1 back exhaust). These would cost like $100 to get 5 of them though, I can't justify that at my current level of poverty.
Thanks for the recommendation I have a cougar case and I've been pretty happy with it. Only thing I've noticed is that the dust covers obstruct the airflow quite a bit especially on the top.

Why do you think you need 5 fans for your case? Are you trying to make it self-propelled?

Haha, I guess I should have said that it has SPACE for 5 fans. After watching this I doubt I'm going to buy any more.
youtu.be/8OmkmluAYAQ

Here is an in-depth test about how many fans are needed for good airflow and which positions are the most effective:
bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/the-big-cooling-investigation/10/

Avoid Arctic at all costs, the fans break off the spindle on the motor all the time on these

you only need case fans, no need for cpu or gpu fan

Bump

Looking at case airflow is dumb. You should be looking at airflow to hotspots. That means that the same principles won't apply for every build. When you have something that needs cooling or filtration or whatever you should be including it in a duct. Like having the upper rear corner of your room being used as a spray booth for cars and thinking air in, air out to the entire room is good enough. Maybe it is if you're just covering up scratches but for big jobs you should have a proper ventilation duct around the car.

All fans lose their bearings after 2-4 years and become noisy fucks. Arctic is no exception.

Attached: 1500104421804.png (250x300, 98K)

I have a Noctua NF-S12B running for 10 years here and it's whisper quiet.

>turbulence
A better term is "eddies".

No it isn't.

>Implying his high quality fan won't continue to run quietly for 10 more years without issue

>never bought a Noctua before

Do it user, you won't regret it.

Shits a fucking meme you jackass.

Before case fans were a thing the PSU fan pulled air from the bottom front of the case. Shit has LITERALLY always been built in.

You are fucking delusional if you think a brand built on quality doesn't quickly degrade into mass produced garbage after they gain volume.

An up and comer cooling fan from 10 years ago being the same as one from today?

LOL god you are delusional.

BTW only fags bought that shit back then anyway.

I worked in an industrial environment and I had to retrofit extra cooling into a bunch of legacy gear like this. Typically, the easy solution was a single top mounted fan - sometimes we would mount on a side panel. We used non-standard fans like the EBM/Papst 4800X and wired them externally in most cases. Noise was high but was acceptable in our environment. End blogpost.

I'm considering blinging out my rig with some LL120/140's.

I bought some noctua fans and honestly they barely made a fucking difference and I still have to have them lower than 900 rpm otherwise they become too audible. I like the look of my fans but If I only cared about performance I would have stuck with my arctic fans. Pretty much the same fucking thing and cost me £6 each on amazon.

Fans move air. Air moves through parts. Air makes noise. Maybe you should think of having an open air system with no fans.

My point is that everyone talks about how quiet and cool noctua+be quiet fans are. They seems just as loud as cheap arctic fans and practically the same when it comes to cooling. IF they do last much longer than normal fans then I'll be happy with my noctuas. Otherwise it was a waste of money. As long as your fans aren't loud crusty pieces of shit it's not worth paying over twice the price.

Yeah. May as well buy some cheap Arctic fans. I got a couple of 120mm Arctics and they are pretty quiet.

Exactly, and noctuas etc may give you 1-2c difference. Literally not woth twice the price. It's not going to change anything in terms of performance or longevity.

Nah these one are the "normal" ones.
The P12 are the static pressure fans.

If all you're doing is a basic build, your case fans won't matter all that much. However, when you start to dig a bit deeper and push the limits of noise and reliability, it will start to matter. Different blade designs are suitable for different tasks, and picking the right fan for the job can be the difference between 500 RPM and 1500 RPM - 5 years or 15 years.

The pictured glorious Gentle Typhoon for instance has very high static pressure, so it's good for tighly packed heat sinks. Fans like the Noctua NF-S12 on the other hand are capable of sustaining almost no pressure, but they can flow a lot of air at very low rotor speed as long as the path is not obstructed. Both are very good fans as long as they're used correctly, and if they are, they can run at much lower speeds than less optimized fans, reducing noise and improving their life span.

Attached: gjellyofthisgfxcard.jpg (1440x1345, 1.12M)

>We're gonna need a bigger fan

depends, i dont see my case so what i did i threw psu outside the case and temps inside droped 13C. way better than any kind of setup of 2-6 case fans

Shouldn't need more than what comes with the case itself, don't know if the quality is all that different from what you can replace them with, unless you want specifically quiet fans and such.

Speaking my language.

After considerable searching, I am sad to have lost my pictures of 2x 38mm NMB fans on my prolimatech megahalem.

Please settle for an above-average heatsink instead.

Attached: 20151215_195826.jpg (1322x992, 405K)

As I am not powering a nuclear plant or something crazy like that, I have only the standard fans that come with a normal case.

Even while gaming on this old-ass poorfag PC (as I'm doing now btw, watch dogs 2) the temps are nothing out of the extraordinary so I really don't understand while some people put a kazillion fans in their case and make it look/sound like some fucking UFO.

Attached: Annotation 2019-05-13 115803.png (628x75, 8K)