DOLBY AC-4, THE ANSWER TO THE OPUS CODEC. COMING SOON TO EVERY VIDEO FILE YOU WILL PIRATE

Are all your devices Dolby AC-4 ready, Jow Forums?

I hope so because when everybody makes the switch from AC3 and Plus to AC4, you don't wanna be left out, do you?

dolby.com/us/en/technologies/AC-4.html

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tech.mit.edu/V122/PDF/V122-N54.pdf
blog.dolby.com/hearing-is-believing-comparing-dolby-ac-4-to-dolby-ac-3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It will probably come with a very aggressive license. Hopefully it won't get traction over a more free standard.

>Hopefully it won't get traction over a more free standard.
Pretty sure all your Netflix, Amazon, and Bluray rips will be AC4, not Opus or whatever meme codec you think will make it.

I see no reason for anyone to care, what's the thing that would make this audio format matter?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-12 Hearing Is Believing Comparing Dolby AC-4 to Dolby AC-3.jpg (1216x808, 260K)

>transcodes to opus at 160 and then muxes
>implying i give a fuck

Attached: 1554355417382.png (600x599, 274K)

I'll only be interested when it can be decoded in hardware

it will

ATSC 3.0 is going to have AC-4. Reminds me of the time they bribed MIT to vote for AC-3 for the original ATSC HDTV standard.
tech.mit.edu/V122/PDF/V122-N54.pdf

Attached: Rokend_Camel-reclamebord_Smoking_billboard.jpg (787x775, 151K)

At a price. Remember how great AC-3 support was?

enjoy paying!

so what bitrates are we talking for AC4? they say "lowest possible bit rates" but don't give numbers.

opus 1.3:
>96kbps = good average bitrate
>128kbps = only some audio samples are distinguishable from lossless
>192kbps = transparent

I'm only interested if it can be transmitted over SPDIF/TOSLINK. Using HDMI for both video and audio, requiring expensive and complex HDMI receivers and drastically limiting alternative/DIY solutions, was a big mistake.

>they say "lowest possible bit rates" but don't give numbers.
yes they do.

blog.dolby.com/hearing-is-believing-comparing-dolby-ac-4-to-dolby-ac-3/

I fairly confident they can't beat Opus, but they could potentially be as good as Apple AAC-LC or something like that. But the video industry does not care about beating Opus and will simply bend over and give them all the money in the world, meaning we will end up paying for it.

>5.1 no samples
>not even AC-4 converted to FLAC samples

>as low as 96 kilobits/second
that doesn't really say anything though. is that the technical lower limit and nothing lower is possible? or is that the lowest bitrate without obvious artifacts? the latter would be impressive but i'm guessing they mean the former.

shit

this

ew

everything voip uses opus

this isn't about voip

afaik opus wasn't started for your netflix

I don't care since most of my PC stuff gets decoded to lossless, multi-channel wav out over HDMI to AVR anyhow.

All big net corporations seem to force AV1 since it's efficient and, supposedly, patent-free. But why isn't there a similar development for audio codecs? Wouldn't Netflix, Google, etc. have an interest in a royalty-free audio codec that hardware vendors will implement, just as AV1?

That's opus. Opus is easy to decode so hardware isn't really needed to decode it.

Google is already using opus on Youtube.