Why is the software port on Mac OS consistently so much worse than its Windows counterpart?

Why is the software port on Mac OS consistently so much worse than its Windows counterpart?

In a hypothetical situation where similar hardware is used, without thermal constraints, there's a massive variation in application performance.

Not just talking games here, but even basic applications like the Microsoft Office Suite (and don't even pretend there's still a rivalry between MS and Apple) seem to have a massive number of features stripped out. Performance is often far worse, including far greater battery drain and even often renderer slowdown.

The same can be said for a lot of 3D modelling software too, like Autodesk software. It's just so much worse on Mac OS. I refuse to believe that it's purely down to hardware, and whilst a few years ago we could blame APIs and compatibility layers, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Hell, even web browsers run worse on Macs. I just can't fathom how this is even an issue. Does anyone have some insight?

---
I'm actually curious about the issue because I like to have variety and options available to me as the consumer, and Linux is... plodding along... and WINE is functional a lot of the time... but it's not a 'daily driver replacement'. I actually like some of the way Mac OS functions, but then I remember how shitty some of the software is and I just can't use it.

Attached: Mac-vs-PC.jpg (1000x600, 178K)

Because macos is abandonware.

Attached: 1540753864518.jpg (644x1049, 215K)

MACTODDLERS BTFO

Attached: 1534234817943.gif (500x284, 1.75M)

Because Mac has horrible APIs

>2015
But FCP X hasn't been discontinued (yet), so it's like, lifesupport-ware?

Or maybe they have enough people who got that covered already?

Ya want to provide some benchmarks on identical hardware first, bruv.

And also because Apple is definitely going to kill the Mac. They just don't want to admit it (since that would be dumb).

That's pretty difficult, I was talking more feature-wise than benchmark-wise anyway. I don't own a real Mac anymore either.

The difficulty is, that Mac OS isn't natively supported on non-Mac hardware, and Windows isn't well supported on Apple hardware. Making a cross-comparison with benchmarks is really hard, because the firmware will sabotage them either way.

>going to kill the Mac
probably not, but i wouldn't be surprised if they came out with arm laptops/desktops

Usually because they take the windows codebase and just shoehorn it into the Mac.
MS used to have a separate set of devs for the Mac who would put out far better versions.

Oh? What was the last version you remember being good? I used 2010/2013 and they really, really sucked on Mac.

Goes back to circa 2000. While IE (on Windows) was widely accepted as a joke, the Mac version was one of the best, most standards compliant browsers around.

Office Mac was pretty good too, but around version 4 they merged and the Mac version was seriously broken by the change.

>Windows isn't well supported on Apple hardware.
Usually only with smaller shit that wouldn't affect the result much.

As for features, it depends on software. Adobe is fine. Office has a lot of shit stripped because the Windows version relies on outdated macros backwards compatibility. Also the differences now are miniscule. 2016 version is way, way better than the 2011 joke.

When it comes to performance, the only thing that might be a big difference is the openGL shit and the likes since the drivers for Mac OS are beyond outdated, so if the software doesn't have Metal support, it's going to suffer hard.

>Usually only with smaller shit that wouldn't affect the result much.
The issues go all the way down to turbo and fan control. It's pretty shocking.

Works on my machine

except a Proxy Editor i use at work. That fucking thing dies on W10 but never breaks or shits the bed on OSX

On which ones? I recall trying bootcamp back in 2012 and it was pretty fine, only the fan working a bit more than usual. And I recall reading that beta of Win 10 worked better than Yosemite (or whatever came after it) on noports Macbook.

The system level issues have been present for quite a while. Some of the newer macs even blew out their speakers in Bootcamp, but it's gotta be said that's somewhat rarer.

> but it's not a 'daily driver replacement'
But it is! Windows 95-98 was more unstable, less functional, but people used it.

Because of the porting process. Software doesn't improve of that.

bass

But it's not even a straight up port, it's usually a feature barren redesign they've produced especially for OS X, and I just can't understand why they'd create something so utterly inferior.

>I just can't understand why they'd create something so utterly inferior.

The software, or the mac?

You cant understand why a minority platform only got lip service support when software is made for industry not individuals? Maybe see a doctor for your retardation.

Most shit is lazily optimized. Like it was shown some MacOS games are tweaked .exe files running on Wine or something a while back. Actual first party apps are different.

>iToddlers BTFO

Attached: whistlersmotherboard.jpg (500x440, 53K)

iTods BTFO

Attached: 1551315243782.jpg (220x229, 5K)

>satania meme on May 2019
cringe

>being an itoddler on may 2019
cringe

GIMP runs way better on Mac than Wangblows, as does Emacs.