At my new job i have to use pic related

at my new job i have to use pic related

what does Jow Forums think of this language?

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1280x1280, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nebulacentre.net
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

python without forced whitespace

feels sorta like that. i like ruby OOP more than python OOP so far though for sure.

it's okay
good luck at your new job

I'm learning right now. Building a few projects to familiarize with it. My two friends are telling me to stay the fuck away from it, but I'm really betting on Rails to build a SaaS soon.

blocks are great

Good language. It's dying but slowly. Enjoy while you can (there's time.)

Ruby is a lot better than Python, its only fault IMO is its block syntax. I think Dart is a better language both in regards to OO and FP and it has static typing so if I had any choice I would choose Dart.

Ruby is actually super cozy and I really enjoy using it.
People like to shill it as though its some competition with Python, due to the fact both can be used for general purpose scripting.
Learn how blocks work, since ruby is Kind Of Lisp tm.

It's a great language, but the webdev crowd have it a bit of a bad name. If you can handle FP, it's amazing, since it started life as a lisp. learn blocks and yields and it's amazing how flexible it is. Good luck with the new job user.

bump
its a better python, but its dying because python is more popular

I like it. It's cozy. Easy. Also better than python. The community is nice as heck to each other.

Good language, slow in computer task, but very nice for ruby on rails

why is ruby dying? just curious.

Ruby on rails begin only usage for the language and people is moving from RoR to Go,Java,Python.

Is this a thing where you have programming experience but might have to use a totally new language when starting a job?

yes. i primarily use C and python, and am currently learning haskell. i am experienced in progamming, but the team i'm on uses 99% ruby, which is not a language i am familiar with. but after a while, the language doesn't matter much. you just use what you need to use.

idk why rails would be the only use for the language, python is used for a ton of different shit and outperforms it in a lot of cases.

Pozzed

yes or you may know the language but have no exposure to the frameworks being used

Ruby is OOP done right.

Ruby has the problem of everything being an object, even more so than Python. You can also overwrite the implementations of standard objects, including the god object from which all other objects inherit. It's an object oriented playbox which is perfect for writing completely incomprehensible code which somehow works.

t. hobbyist programmer

Haha. Ruby is Kind-of-LispTM. I like it. It's like LISP, but even less efficient when it comes to any serious functional problem-solving, since not only does it have poor optimizations, but you're creating a shit ton of objects and it's nearly impossible for anything to be guaranteed as pure.

I like Ruby though. I think a lot of the ideas it threw in everyone's face are now getting implemented all over. I think Swift had a lot of inspiration from Ruby.

For it's intended purpose it's great: quickly writing system programs or scripts that are easy to make and have readable code. Once a project gets sufficiently large, Ruby becomes a nightmare, because many of the conveniences it offers start to cripple further development. I'd still take it over PHP for websites.

The guys I've met that actually made money building services with Ruby have told me they are now interested in Crystal and Elixir. Ruby is kind of old news. Ruby was really great as an alternative for PHP, but it has it's own problems that become apparent in big projects.

I'm personally not experienced with starting, building and maintaining projects. I am building an application right now, and I use ruby for some demo/prototype sorta stuff but in the end it'll likely be C++. One thing I have been keeping in mind is what kind of programmers are available for a given language, and how much they cost. I've heard that Ruby developers can be more expensive, so some people still use PHP just because the website is the same and costs half the price to make. For the application I'm building, Ruby doesn't make sense because it will run offline with native widgets and interact with a pc and connected app on a mobile device. Ruby is more suited for web and system applications.

nebulacentre.net

Attached: ncp_banner.png (1804x400, 205K)

the original RoR adapters are disillusioned, and being replaced by bootcampers who totes know ruby, python, and javascript!

ruby is great but the tools built on it have become bloated piles of crap (rails, brew). i’ve been writing ruby for ten years and i 100% get why node is the future.

that being said... ruby is going to be the next php in the sense that there’ll be demand for devs for a while yet.

Ruby's List class has 78 methods. I'll let this answer your question.

Ruby is comfy and actually has sensible OOP. It may initially look like a bad idea but read some books on Smalltalk to get the theory behind that style OOP.

>Ruby's List class has 78 methods. I'll let this answer your question
a double-edged sword?

cool but slow

fuck python for real

look into the crystal language then

max comfy

What is that, gramps, some kind of a proto-Crystal? What do you mean, it didn't have types until version 3.0? I can't believe you used to program like that.

For any task you can think of other than writing web apps really quickly, some other popular language is better at it than Ruby.

One of my favorites. It just werks. I don't have to think about how to express something.

The language itself is actually pretty good, and it's probably the one that can most accurately be defined "a better Python".
Unfortunately, it's not nearly as supoorted, and lacks many libraries in comparison.

Because Ruby OOP is a true language feature and not this shit people call Python OOP