Opus

>still no universal support
Why? Just got new phone and Samsung Music doesn't recognise these either, so for lulz and testing I converted all my FLACs to 128kbps VBR MP3's too and there is a massive difference in sound to same bitrate Opus even with my chink bluetooth headphones.

Attached: 640px-Opus_logo2.svg.png (640x364, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

androidpolice.com/2019/05/07/android-q-will-have-native-support-for-data-saving-av1-video-codec/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>FLACs to 128kbps VBR MP3
no shit sherlock
128 mp3 sounds like shit

Point being 128kbps Opus doesn't.

there's no real drive to support it when there are no online music vendors selling music in that format (or just not mainstream). It's by far the most efficient format out there and I wish it had support too, but that wont happen unless maybe Google or some other company starts distributing music in OPUS or people like us make players supporting it, or demand it's support in current players en masse, etc.

Attached: 1556519714202.jpg (720x720, 83K)

just use vorbis

this

+aotuv @176kbps

Rename your shit from .opus to .ogg and they'll show up

>no universal support
Ffmpeg has a decoder. Anything that uses ffmpeg has support. Stop using shit software.

>so for lulz and testing I converted all my FLACs to 128kbps VBR MP3's too and there is a massive difference in sound to same bitrate Opus even with my chink bluetooth headphones.

no shit, you should have used LC-AAC

or vlc

there's no hardware decoding which means even shittier battery lifetime. most people don't know about it so phone manufacturers don't bother adding support.

Most of these players can play them since they are supported by Android, but they don't let opus files show up in their library view since they aren't programmed to extract metadata from opus files.

>Samsung Music
holy shit kek

samsung music supports it if its a .ogg you autist. don't forget to turn off volume normalization for maximum dynamic range placebo

>Samsung Music
There is your problem.
Android has supported opus since lollipop.
I recommend gonemad, I've used it to play opus as far back as 2014.

Attached: gonemad.png (300x300, 34K)

Imagine unironically using "Samsung Music".
Is Jow Forums a boomer website now?

Just use the .ogg container

drm support?

Ogg is a earlier project of opus dev(s), isn't it? Why choose ogg over opus?

Because many phones support Opus decoding, but not the .opus container.

Ogg is a general container that can contain many different audio codecs. The .ogg extension is associated with Ogg Vorbis, but doesn't necessarily have to be.
.opus also uses the Ogg container, but they changed to extension just to make it easier to identify that it contained Opus audio data.

>phones support Opus decoding
What does that mean? Why does "phone support" matter when a non-shit app can play it regardless?

Many people confuse lack of support for the .opus container with lack of support for Opus decoding. That's why it's usually recommended to try and change the extension to .ogg, before giving up on Opus entirely.

Just use FLAC. You can't possibly have 1TB of music right?

Anyone who's into music and prefers FLAC has way over 1TB.

I'll never understand people that don't settle with the best. Why settle for compatibility? Retarded.

Attached: Hes+xx+years+old+folks_b98093_6879102.png (1200x1317, 392K)

I mean why do you talk about "phone support" when it's down to individual apps whether they'll play it or not?

There's no mention for any audio codec as being hardware supported on Exynos 7885

Well fuck, that actually worked. Thanks!

Attached: 1557256141641.gif (500x281, 474K)

Why are you being so autistic?

>asking this in Jow Forums
everyone is an autistic animefag here, bolgo

Attached: 1534203984393.jpg (225x234, 54K)

Because using wrong terms like that is misleading.
Every phone supports Opus, as long as you use a decent app and not something made for tech illiterates like "Samsung Music".

>Why

because AAC exists

Just install AIMP. lmao

>opus

cringe

>On a related topic, Android Q will also add support for the Opus audio codec, which was first released in 2012.

androidpolice.com/2019/05/07/android-q-will-have-native-support-for-data-saving-av1-video-codec/