He uses vim in 2019

>He uses vim in 2019

Attached: 1540426324019.jpg (960x540, 62K)

> They* use Vim* in the* 2019
ftfy, nbd

>vim
theres no better alternative

Attached: 1557513471470.jpg (600x600, 18K)

A wild VSCode appears.

>*She uses *neovim in the year* 2019

>animu
opinion discarded

Micro proves you wrong

>animu
opinion picked up

Based shironeko poster

We all use vim, you dumb little shit.

No, I'm mot a child, hence I use emacs

Why should I use Vim over Pycharm etc?

t complete noobie

Attached: 1557695706749.jpg (729x572, 164K)

this, emacs evil mode

I'll answer your question if you give me the name of the doujin that image is from.

another vim user, a man of fine tastes I see

Attached: 1525369754978.png (750x780, 77K)

what else would you use to edit server files via ssh

Its not doujin but canon manga

Essentially it's been around forever, and everything that you will need out of an editor, you'll get with vim. It's kind of the idea that you use an editor to edit the code, and that's it. At the end of the day, it's what you feel works for you the best. One social advantage of vim is if you;re using it in the workplace others may (or amy not admittedly) develop a greater respect for you, as vim is rarely used by amatuers.
Also, if you could say which volume and possibly chapter the image came from I'd appreciate it.

>VSCode
malware

>he posts anime girls in 1990+29

She's the only one with ears like that in the anime, and it's never explained.

> he makes us painfully aware that 1990 was 29 years ago

>coworker uses vim
>walk over to his desk to help him with something in the code
>needs to copypaste a block of code from one place to another place
>takes 2 minutes and 60+ keypresses

Attached: 1553704868.png (600x600, 207K)

There's a billion ways to do that in vim. You're either making it up or your coworker is retarded.

i can copy and paste anything in or out of neovim fine. sounds like your coworker is retarded. with vim in a terminal emulator you need to configure it properly, but with neovim, or any vim GUI copy and pasting isn't difficult.

Electron
>>He uses vim in 2019
What can you use in c++ that let's me switch files and open another files and edit it withing another file.

I checked just to be sure. They're just decorations. There's at least one instance where she's not wearing them. They're still used to emote throughout the series, so I can understand the confusion.

Just found the source, it is a doujin fak you.

vi

Sauce?

>running a literal web browser to edit source files

Attached: zoomer.gif (478x350, 84K)

Chinpo Yakuza Miporin

Agreed. Use GNU Emacs instead.

>he doesn't make /usr/local/sbin/vim a symlink to nano

>/usr/local/sbin/vim
I'll never stop getting amazed at the retardation of the Unix filesystem hierarchy.

>Running a literal terminal to edit source file

>Bu-bu-but it's coherent
Doesn't make it less retarded.

If I wanted to code with bloat I'd pick fucking Spacemacs or something over an Electron "app."

>Thinking technical choices are more important than final UX
I bet you think bash is better than powershell

Phhhaahahahah, I bet this guy doesn't know how to use Git without a shitty branch viewer or even a compiler or debugger without an IDE holding his hand.

It takes ages to do anything in any IDE, why should anyone let a restrictive wrapper around better tools nickle and dime their time away when they could just be coding?

it just werks

They are. If users are ok with devs churning out bloated garbage because muh 10% better UX then sooner or later you'll end up with everything being a bloated pile of trash with a net worse UX.

Because workflow.
An IDE goal is to improve your workflow and standardize it.
It's the difference between making a plane in your garage and building a fucking Airbus A380.
Sure, at the end of the day is building airplanes, but the scope of the projects make them completely different beasts to handle.

So you should use an IDE if you don't know how to use makefiles, got it.

VS code is very fast when it comes to mean time to code. small reboot-less extension installations get you a lot.

when people complain about IDE's feels like they are bitching about visual studio circa 2008. Even VS 2017 & 2019 are quite nice.

I wrote my own fucking compiler for a small VM project I had. I mostly likely have a deeper understanding of how they work than you.
I still prefer to do a task in 5s with a button click than spending a minute trying to remember the fucking proper syntax for the args of a command I use once a month at most.

>My workflow
>Code
>Create the commit in github nice GUI and pressing Push
>It's automatically fetched by the test servers, where users can test the changes in Prod-Like environment
>If users are satisfied, I create an another commit in a different project. No dirty copy paste needed, it's all locally fetched from the pre-prod codebase and ready to push to prod.
>I press push to prod and it all works

>Your workflow
>Have to SSH to prod
Big yikes

Sisti !

And makefiles are for people who don't know how to manually follow instructions and copy paste them in console.
>Switching comp option in IDE :
>Bunch of checkboxes and select drop down
>Changing them in makefile
>Add a semicolon
>Break everything

Each abstraction layers allow you to be more lazy with the parts that are just obstacle to you actually outputting working business code.

Don't bother, most of Jow Forums is on g because they were too poor to afford a real gaming computer when they were kids and never worked on corporate level projects. For Jow Forums, following a tutorial on how to make your own node plugin or integrating web3 to their frontend is the summit of project depth they encountered.

It's hilarious that you think you need a GUI for any of that or that anyone cares about your shitty project.

Every post reveals a new way that you suck at programming and don't know how to properly use tools without an IDE

>Jow Forums is unprofessional because it knows how to program without an IDE
I would hate to work with that kind of "professional" programmer

Pressing a button is always faster than copy pasting a command.

You don't "NEED" anything, you could literally make your whole computer work with a 0/1 input device.

However, people who view coding as a Job instead of a Hobby enjoy QoL improvements.

You want a bare-metal dragster and handle your engine tuning for every race, I want a big family car with autopilot and comfy seats where I config it once and forget about it.

What is your typical workflow?

You don't need a GUI for automation, but keep defending your inability to live without a slow fragile GUI and making unverifiable claims

Not going through 5 menus to add a compilation flag

No. Jow Forums is unprofessional because they don't see the point of IDE. I know how to code without an IDE. For light projects sure. I won't start my VS for a simple webhook listener.
As soon as you start coding on corporate stuff, the sheer amount of dependencies and the often lack of documentation on them (because they are in-house proprietary tech) make features such as peeking or automatic dependencies acquisition are must have. Not everything can be solved with npm -update.

>You don't need a GUI for automation
Why do you hate pointing devices so much ? The 80's are over.

you can customize it, people like the fact you can add macros easily and if you need any feature of an IDE you can download plugins. also when you start from zero and build all the features ground up you tend to be more proficient in using all of them than if you were offered millions from the get go.
it really doesn't matter though, you should use whatever makes you write more code at a faster rate. using something like sublime is essentially exactly like vim, you can just get the vim plugin and have the same keybinds

You can have a job without working with mobs of useless idiots.

>Going trough 200 lines of text instead
>In console
>Editing the wrong conf

Lol, I guess I should use my VR headset to add a compilation flag next. Newer isn't inherently better.

Then you are working in a small company with no real impact on the world.

Yeah, you suck at editing config files without help, this is what I've been saying

Faster and easier is inherently better.
Are you one of those idiots who don't understand how Apple products could be more popular than M$/Android products ?
Or that >Next year is gonna be Linux desktop year guys, I swear

And huge corporations that hire armies of talentless hacks to spin their wheels do so much good for the world.

It's only faster and easier if you suck. No, I'm not, nice strawman though.

>Yeah, you suck at editing config files without help, this is what I've been saying
Well yeah. I'm too expensive for the company to spend my time caring about such mundane details for conf that i'll use once or twice in my life and never look at again, especially if their creators have made a convenient way for me to make it do what I want in less than a minute. Sure I could do it manually. And as good (if not better) than you. But that would be a waste of company money. Black box programming is as old as programming itself. You should understand how something you use work in the system, not know every internal subtlety by heart if they have no external impacts.

I sure as hell don't know the details of the Intel OOE hardware implementation, despite virtually all of the machines I work with using it. I know the basic of it, the potential risks and limitation, but I'm not an expert on it, nor do I need to.

You are basically a retard advocating for reinventing the wheel every time.

Wow you're so important

I'm pretty sure I can click a button faster than you can type.

>It's easier if you suck.
You are literally arguing that's it's easier only if you don't spend time and effort learning an another way... Which is literally the definition of easier.

As any employee above Starbucks Barista level should. You don't ask your 150k /year engineer to mop the floor, even if most of them could. A company will do financially better if every task is accomplished by the people that are the most cost-efficient at it.

>I'm pretty sure I can click a button faster than you can type.
The Dunning-Kruger effect is a bitch, ain't it.

Look at a mirror I guess.

Mmmhm, yeah, it is!

Someone on the team has to be able to fix the build system when it breaks. It's okay if that's not you but there's no reason to shit on people who know how to program without Visual Studio. If everyone was happy to just work with some high level tool and not understand how it works, there wouldn't be any high level tools.

I guess no engineer in a company above 150k needs to know how to use a compiler or build tool without an IDE, you've really opened my eyes.

>I know you are but what am I
The absolute state of GUI babies

>anime
Now THAT is what I call cringe.

>I prefer using a GUI rather than a CLI because I find it easier and faster
>w-well fuck you and your project, f-fucking gui babby, haha n-noob
This is how you sound, user.

Attached: you2.jpg (227x200, 13K)

Except the conversation didn't start with people just saying they prefer GUIs and people shitting on them, it started with shitting on people who use CLIs.
They're literally the people who actually know how to use build tools and made that IDE they're working in hobbyists.

>Someone on the team has to be able to fix the build system when it breaks.
Agreed

> It's okay if that's not you but there's no reason to shit on people who know how to program without Visual Studio.
I believe anyone pretending to be skilled should be able to code both with and without, and chose what suit him best.

>If everyone was happy to just work with some high level tool and not understand how it works, there wouldn't be any high level tools.
Do you understand how anything below assembly works ?
Do you understand how your (USB, not PS2) keyboard work ?
The whole tech world is just a superimposition of abstractions upon abstractions. And the goal of most tool is to reduce the boilerplate needed to interact with the abstraction layer you are working with.
IDE are just a package of tools with a preset UX.
GUI (properly done) are faster and more intuitive than command line, if only because they require less keydowns and expertise. Command line should be a fallback, not the default.
If using text/console is better over a GUI, it's because the use case was too niche to warrant the effort of developing a well thought GUI wrapper on top.

What of those points are people disagreeing with ?

My waifus are smiling at me, normalfag. Can you say the same?

Attached: 45f163544e85c4d425237b6bf7bdfc97.jpg (736x414, 54K)

>Need ?
No

>Would be beneficial to know ?
Sure

>Should be wasting their time with any doctrine regarding workflow instead of what allow them to output the most value for the company
Definitely not

>Good GUI/UX faster than CLI ?
Yes, always.

But using CLI by choice and not necessity is objectively retarded user

>I believe anyone pretending to be skilled should be able to code both with and without, and chose what suit him best.
I agree with that. Except the conversation didn't start this way, it started with shitting on people comfortable enough with low level build tools to find them better to use than an IDE. Of course I'm going to ridicule anyone who thinks that. There's no point responding to the rest of your post if this is your actual position.

CLInosaur

Attached: serveimage.jpg (600x450, 27K)

Setting up a GUI no one on your team needs on top of a custom build environment you had to make anyways is retarded.

>2019
>he

Never gonna make it

No it did not. See

fag

Fellow vimzards, anyone know answer to this question?

Gnutards assume everyone else is also a decrepit hunchback with no motor skills so doing simple shit with a mouse is impossible to them, and try to argue that reserving both hands for the keyboard and typing several characters for simple shit is better

Not where I entered into the conversation

What the fuck kind of strawman is this?

You'll have to write a completion function probably, but there are helper functions you can use. See "help completion-customlist" and "help getcompletion"

>He doesn't use joe
laughing_girls.jpg

Attached: joe.png (676x692, 110K)

Was meant for
It's a matter of time invested vs time saved. Moreover, once you developed a GUI module that integrate with your IDE (or pseudo IDE such as a pimped out VIM + package manager + GIT which is ultimately end up doing the exact same thing as an IDE except you have to manage everything yourself) you can of course reuse it's code.

Even lazier is using webhooks everywhere, as listeners can be launched as Daemons/Powershell background task in a few lines, launch at startup and execute arbitrary attached script when called -which are, surprise, the automation scripts you are already writing anyway-.
Your GUI then can become literally an html page that can be copy pasted/versioned between users. And if you need to fancify it, you can always make it devolve into a full blown electron app.

If you are interacting with users/slightly less technical people at any level, it is also a very efficient communication tool to show that things are actually hapenning, which is key when dealing with other teams/management that don't understand the difference between cat'ing a mp4 file and actual code.

The keyboard is a more consistent method of inputting data. Dealing with code will almost always be faster and more efficient if it can be done purely from the keyboard, whether it's in an IDE or not. I don't typically use my mouse at all while I'm programming. The way things are going with consumer computing, I think the mouse has even been replaced by touchscreens. So why aren't you coding on an iPad since it's literally 2019?