Anyone use one of these & can confirm if it works?

Found a 32 gig on sale for...I think it was like ~$24? I've heard that it can save you about 35-40 seconds when starting up your computer. Just screwed it on my motherboard. Anyone have one and can confirm? If my computer lasts me...4 years, then 35 seconds each day for 4 years makes it worth $25 as I see it.
Did I fall for a scam or can anyone who has it confirm that it works to cut off the time it's supposed to when starting up?

Attached: optane111.jpg (225x225, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriana_Fallaci
youtube.com/watch?v=Sm6lWJc8KmE&list=PLNpXDKIB9FKG2DYfmu6B4NPMRBMPqVueD
youtube.com/watch?v=rKXQQZTifzg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

if you have an SSD you don't need optane

fucking retard

What's the point?

Just buy a 970evo and your system will be up in a couple of seconds

intlel maymay storage

>shave 40 seconds from start up time
Maybe if you're running a 386

I bought a laptop with an i5, 8GB RAM and this optane stuff, at first boot times were around 1 min, now they're 10 seconds.

It works best if it's accelerating a HDD, not an SSD, but even an SSD will see improvement.

If you have an SSD + HDD, set it to accelerate the HDD, not the SSD.

>I don't know what this is
>Just a SSD, nothing more
huh.
Well that's something I guess.

>Just buy a 970evo
have a 970 evo, actually just got finished installing
>fucking retard
Sir, you sound very learned. How do you find the time, inbetween your investments in Silicon Valley and your tech innovations, to come onto this board and grace us lowly plebs with such outstanding contributions as "fucking retard." Did you think that up all alone, or did a ghost writer put that together for you. Have a lovely day. :) :0

Attached: oriana-tv.png (2206x1546, 1.75M)

Congrats
Mine gets up to 1.5GB/s on reads and almost 1GB/s on writes with Samsung cache disabled. A beast

>It works best if it's accelerating a HDD
Well, since this is a "backup" computer i plan to use for my torrents/pirating, etc, I have 1 500gig 970 and then a 10GB Seagate, so it seemed to make sense that it would speed that up...I guess if I have my OS on the 970 it probably wouldn't matter, but for $24 seemed like it was worth it just as an experiment.

>literally just a rebranded M.2 SSD

Cool, guess it makes ense then to put my OS on there if I use Linux...still not sure which OS I want to use....also found a 1000GB "Crucial" at the bottom of a drawer that i genuinely have no idea how it ended up there, maybe i was loaded around Christmas, ordered it, and forgot all about it...

Quick OT:
Her name is Fallaci, not "Pallachi". Former Italian partisan during WWII and one of the most prominent journalists in the years of lead.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriana_Fallaci

Optane is not meant for ZOMG SUPER FAST SPEEDUP DISK TIMES
It's meant to be a cheap way to get a huge extension on your memory pool without having to do any dumb configurations.

Do you run a SQL server? Huge web server dealing with a million requests? Do lots of video editing? All that but don't wanna fork out a kajillion dollars for a 192GB configuration of RAM? THAT is what Optane is for. Not fucking speeding up boot times.

>It's meant to be a cheap way to get a huge extension on your memory pool
Not this implementation.

It only saves time if you don't have your OS on an SSD.

>not leaving your computer on 247 or just putting it to sleep when not in use.

>QLC shit
lmaoing at your lyfe, you fucking retard

>Her name is Fallaci, not "Pallachi". Former Italian partisan during WWII and one of the most prominent journalists in the years of lead.
I know. I'm in love with her, even though she was in late 70s when I was born. She was perfect.

Attached: falllaci3.jpg (509x654, 138K)

>lmaoing at your lyfe
Fair enough. So, tell everyone about YOUR jetset lifestyle so we can all be jealous at how you live. I can wait for you to write it all out, your amazing adventures around the world. Why do I know I won't get an answer????

3D Xpoint isn't QLC dumbass. It's not even NAND.

>1
actually, YES, I do quite a lot of video editing. Why does everyone here--ALWAYS, no matter what--- try to find a way to rub othe rpeople's face's in shit, no matter what? I know, it's always been like this, at last the 4-5 years I've been here. Someone could come on here and announce: "Hey, I just had a baby son!" and there would be 50 people all waiting to tell him why it was a bad thing, why he should have aborted his kid, and why his life will now be miserable...

It's the weirdest tect product ever made.
Without linus shilling for it no one would care.

It's like intel pretends ssds dont exist, why would they do that?

One more Oriana, see if I can post this without getting a ban (though I'm sure 20 people will report it, TRYING to get me banned). Probably the only woman this past century who was genuinely smart and attractive:

Attached: oriana-fallaci-277698.jpg (650x449, 42K)

>Without linus shilling for it
Well, for the record, I did not buy it from that idiot shilling. If anything, had I seen him shilling for it it would have made me NOT buy it, since everyone knows companies bribe him with huge quantiles of gibs to hill their crap.
Once I get it set up by tonight and can compare it to my other Pc that goes just on an SSD, then will be able to report back and whether it makes an actual difference... although no matter what I come back and report, people will claim I was "shilling" either for or against it and was paid so you really can never fucking win here....

Do you have BPD or something?

Get help, you're on a tech board posting some dead woman and saying nothing relevant, what the fuck is your problem buddy?

Not sure, but you certainly sound like a man of experience. What exactly should I be looking for?

People with borderline personality disorder tend to fear people abandon them and then act in a way that makes the likelihood of that occurring certain.
Your post reminded me of that.

>Get help, you're on a tech board posting some dead woman
Ahh, I get it! I 'need help," because I'm discussing technology and posting pics of an attractive woman.....on a board where people post anime constantly and in all contexts...but posting 3 pics total during discussion of a cute girl certainly implies that I "need help." Ever think you might be projecting and taking out on me whatever your mum was yelling at YOU about this morning???
Also, I'll remind you that someone ELSE stepped in to give her correct name and to show that I was not the only one who knew of her and had an interest. May I also ask exactly how YOU are advancing this discussion?
PROTIP-- IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE TOPIC OR WHERE THE DISCUSSION IS GOING, DON'T FUCKING POST IN THE THREAD. SIMPLE AS.

Ah.....talk about talking "armchair psychiatrist" to a new level... so I'm afraid...people on this board will abandon me? Totally makes sense. Ever consider perhaps you might be projecting whatever your own psychiatrist told you?
The irony of all this is that I"m a med student, and I was interning for one of the top 5- psychiatrists in the US and they flew to Pittsburgh each weekend to revise the DSM-IV into the DSM-V several years ago, but again, this is OT.
So, coming from someone doing a residency IN psychiatry (and one of the few who prepared papers to hlp my mentor try to KEEP gender dysphoria in the DSM-V just as it was in DSM-IV rather than open the can of worms insanity we have now-- you might consider sorting out your own bullshit.

You sound like you have mental problems. Not even joking.

Ah a doctor who writes incomprehensive text, I get it.

>Ah a doctor who writes incomprehensive text, I get it.
This is fucking amazing. You're trying to rag on me for being a med school grad who "writes incomprehensible (NOT "incomprehensive," learn proper grammar, Patel) text, yet at the same time, you're throwing a fit in a Jow Forums thread discussing a tech device because....it includes 3 pictures of a woman, on a board that regularly includes anime pictures EVERYWHERE?
But to top it ALL OFF, you're standing here, calling ME "unstable," since I assume you...failed your final exam this morning (assuming you're not NEET), who knows what your deal is....but the level of projection is truly breath-taking. With that, I take my leave and you can get back to leading your charmed, exciting life...

Attached: falllaci2.jpg (272x400, 98K)

I guess he was from India.

>It's meant to be a cheap way to get a huge extension on your memory pool without having to do any dumb configurations.

No this version doesn't do that, I don't know if Intel abandoned that entirely or is aiming to do that for a future iteration, but the current Optane is just a way to hybridize your storage with a little bit of super fast cache. I wish it did though.

I work as an artist, 3D modeling and texturing, the idea of slower, massive memory pools for Substance Painter would be incredible since it tries to cache as many of the texture sets to memory as possible and on a massive, 40 UDIM project that can be well beyond 64GB of RAM unless you're constantly resizing the texture sets down to 512x512 as you switch around between them.

She‘s really a beautiful woman. U said you installed Optane? Any results yet? Maybe run some test?

>I guess he was from India.
Indeed. You can always tell by the grammar, since they're SO very confident they have the English language mastered and then eventually one or two sentences reveals they are simply aping what their hear on TV and don't really understand the rules of English grammar.
Interestingly, a shitload of these raging Indians are in Australia where "education" is now their #2 money-making industry in the nation--whih they sell to Indians and Chinese-- and then the Chinese and Indians bitch that "there are no native Australians in the classes. " Which then prompts a discussion on the Channel 4 Australia video on this scheme about how "Racist" these people are since "anyone can be Australian, of course!"
I used to be highly suspicious when just about everyone here claimed to have an IQ over 130, but when you read the comments from "normal" Indians and Chinese, it becomes totally believable since none of them would last 2 minutes on any board here given their atrocious level of English proficiency (the comments are esp. entertaining):

youtube.com/watch?v=Sm6lWJc8KmE&list=PLNpXDKIB9FKG2DYfmu6B4NPMRBMPqVueD

>Any results yet? Maybe run some test?
Still working on it mate as I research which OS I want to use.... some version of Linux might be fun just to see the difference....

>I've heard that it can save you about 35-40 seconds when starting up your computer.

Oh the humanity.

Attached: 1468703560727.jpg (1280x960, 378K)

To whom does this refer to? The OP or someone else. I‘m so fucking annoyed by this kind of post. Fuck you and your baseness

Doubt you‘ll notice any significant differences since they‘re all run the same (or nearly identical) Kernel. Ubuntu is a good place to start if you‘re a newbie, Fedora is for when you‘re at an intermediate level and want to learn (that‘s where I‘m at), and Arch is the hardest one to install and set up.

>To whom does this refer to? The OP or someone else
Well, if you have a mystery of English Raj, it's not hard to tell. I
m still reading the comments on the Channel 4 doc and getting a great laugh. Example-- here is a Chinese "grad student:"

Ji Li
"My friends with low GPA all goes to Australia to take Master degree. I don’t why these universities still rank top 100 .
7 hours ago"
(notice the tenses, verbs, etc... this is just one random post, there are thousands on that video alone. Oh, and esp great are the arguments between Chinese/Indians who want to go to Uni with "real Australians" and various Indians/Chinese who were born there or moved as a child insistent that they ARE, of course, "real" Australians. Wonder if the same Chinese would consider me-- with my blonde hair, blue eyes, and at 6 foot 2 and a "real Chinese."

>Doubt you‘ll notice any significant differences since they‘re all run the same
Maybe not mate. Even so, I'm learning a lot about various aspects of building a PC and m.2/pcie ssd

My computer boots in 9 seconds, so I don't think I need this. Do I anons?

>that extra emote
heh

no, small ones are not worth it, its just crappy cache
just get a decent size NVMe for 50$

real high perf Optane that you can use almost like RAM is 900- one

>Oh the humanity.
how do I know you're NEET? Let's say it can shave off....1 minute a day, allowing for turning off the computer and then on again at least once a day.... so a minute a day, 30 minutes a month, 6 hours a year, one full day in 4 years, waste, in exchange for a $24 piece of hardware.... is the trade-off really not worth it?
In any event, I'm off to work on the MB...highly recommend those who can watch the Aussie documentary on foreign students....it's...eye opening to put it mildly....

Attached: falllaci4.jpg (509x654, 135K)

very interesting, did you work with blanchard or smth

Lmao

waste of an nvme slot. like seriously what are you even going to do with just 32 gigs?

>My friends with low GPA all goes to Australia
He’s just bas at English goes in a sentence where the Subject’s in Plural is obviously wrong. So tl;dr your point is that ching chongs have problems with English. Gee wizz thx mister I really havent noticed that. However I’m 99% it’s not about the harshness of the grammar but the differences between their original language. I’m not a native speaker myself and consider English an easy language. However, I’m from Croatia where the culture is already westernized and I don’t only mean capitalism when I say that. Our languages share lots of words and figures of speech.
I remember when I was learning German (as a true Slav should) we had a few Asian kids in class. They couldn’t pronounce anything and were totally out of place. For instance not a single one knew who Alexander the great was or have ever heard of Socrates or Nietzsche.

I have 64GB of RAM on my server, cost me $90 on ebay
faggot.

For those who didn't get to major in Comp. Science for whatever reason (because you needed to take med school pre-reqs, whatever) highly recommend this book. No, not "shilling" for it, but will help you understand what you are actually doing. One of best book purchases I ever made...

Attached: upgradinganrepairing.jpg (384x499, 49K)

Or you could get a SSD that's half the cost and it'll also be up in seconds.
Dumbass.

>I’m not a native speaker myself and consider English an easy language. However, I’m from Croatia where the culture is already westernized and I don’t only mean capitalism when I say that. Our languages share lots of words and figures of speech.
I'm not talking about you as a Croat-- the point I was making, go look at the video and these Chinese and Indians are meant to be the "elite" students, or at least "elite" enough to study overseas, and yet read the comments. Not one of them could fucking last 2 minutes posting here without being run off for their awful grasp of the language.
Anyway, if it's available in your nation watch the dumb video, it will then make more sense...

>needing some boomer book to upgrade a PC

gramps plz

>I have 64GB of RAM on my server
Lol, I have 63.5 GB on my main PC, simply because the 32gb I bought from Corsair were not working, returned them, and the fuckers accidentally sent me me 64gigs, all of which work perfectly. It's pretty cool and I notice a real difference in speed as far as...opening a bunch of new tabs and that sort of thing...

>gramps plz
>"hey goy, don't you know reading is for boomers? What are you, reading a book, like an old man or something? Why aren't you on instragram like my bugmen friends and I, using the filter to turn you into a female? READING? Don't you know how last decade that is? Trying to actually read a book to understand the mechanics of what you are doing? Lol, you old boomer!"

can you even use internet gramps, or do you also need an ancient book to figure it?

Attached: 829Y80451sRt7AM.png (298x382, 104K)

>gramps plz
"LOL, he actually reads BOOKS! no, not even 'Harry Potter,' he reads, like ACTUAL books! What a pathetic boomer! How old is he, like, 28?"

Attached: puresoyy.jpg (261x193, 12K)

>have a 970 evo, actually just got finished installing

You've got a 970 EVO as your boot drive and you bought an Optane? Are you retarded?

>reading is bad
good goy

Attached: 1556476828389.jpg (480x360, 9K)

>Are you retarded?
It was $24 mate, not exactly going to bankrupt me Moreover, curious as to how the "Intel" memory performs in case anywhere down the line I want to buy a bigger one, in the TBs....
(obviously this story sucks and never going to pay that much and it seems like thievery, but you et the point)

Attached: intel-4tb.png (1378x1334, 355K)

come on mate, tell me how the heck APA fell as low as using 'some other gender' in healthcare standard

based schizo poster

Attached: elrisitas.jpg (600x600, 41K)

I use a 280GB one for a ZIL and L2ARC on FreeNAS.

youtube.com/watch?v=rKXQQZTifzg

One of the benefits of Optane is you can use it for both since it doesn't get bogged down if you use it for both writes and reads. I can't see any other logical use cases for one though. The 32GB ones are slower than a good NAND SSD which are only getting cheaper.

if your ram isn't ddr4 then its worthless

>
>ck APA fell as low as using 'some other gender' in healthcare standard
You mean in the DSM V meetings? Obviously, can't say much o fanything, I was only there as an "assistant" to the "Professor Emeritus" of Psychiatry, who was a former brain surgeon during the Vietnam war. He stopped brai surgery and moved into psychiatry at a large school in the mid-Suth (boards are the same obviously) after he claims most of the Drs operating would drastically fuck up and then laugh about it and say things like: "Well, at least he's still alive, right?"
I obviously couldn't speak up in the meetings, but my mentor would try to...gently prod the liberal "group" toward a more sane approach but they were not budging. On anything. Then we'd get into the car to go off for munch and he'd let fly a string of curses that I can't repeat here lest the mods ban me. For what it's worth, this dude was a navy vet and tried his best to...steer the insane "group"onto a more..reasonable path. No way. He retired about 1.5 tears later.

>1.5 tear
years. Now I'm spelling like a pajeet.

ok not gonna bother you if you dont know the reasoning behind it

I think I recall you, though it could be any number of others, as I'm the same "schizo" who bought the fucking $500 or $600 fucking Blueray/DVD player. I've already lost my remote, so right now about to fix my Samsung note 9+ to program to play.
Also, for those who don't know, you need special "1.2 anti-intellectual property theft" cable or else you do not get the full 4k. Just realized that a few weeks ago.
I'm about to turn on "Frozen." No homo...

That would actually be a savings of 14 hours over those four years. Even at minimum wage, it would save you moneytime.
That said, an SSD would be an even better deal, so...

>the reasoning behind it
The reasoning behind it? Dude, it was insane SJW JEWS who had the same exact ideas they had in the Weimar. Even the guy mentoring me--whose 2nd wife was a Jew-- knew exactly who it was and would tell me that as soon as we got in the car. Without doubt, every one of them pushing to get rid of the "Gender dysphoria" category in DSM-IV was JEW.
The ones pushing for the law in NJ to tae the fucking license from Drs in NJ who refused to do hormone treatment on childen? JEWS. Granted that issue was t only tangental to the larger DSM-IV reform but it did come up.
And yes, the word "Weimar" was mentioned openly several times.

The durability is good though from what I hear, not that it maters all that much

it does if it's your OS

here faggots...the 2 next to one another...

Attached: newmeme2.jpg (4032x2268, 2.7M)

Not really. You're not going to write enough on a regular SSD for it to matter. Even if you run swap on one you're still fine with any decent SSD.

weird flex but okay

>then 35 seconds each day for 4 years makes it worth $25 as I see it.
Only if you re-boot every day.
Do you run Windows, perhaps?

Can I use this as scratch disk?

Even if someone was not on Windows you would be retarded to not use some sort of solid state storage as your system drive now a days

This is really for people using RAID with one partition more than anything. I got curious and got one to mess with. It absolutely works, but pinning and disgnostics only work for the drive with your OS installed. Not a bad device if you have a multi terabyte HDD you want to speed up, but you're best off just getting an SSD really.