When is it "too late" to start an IT career?

when is it "too late" to start an IT career?

Attached: drunk-and-depressed.jpg (600x400, 17K)

Your dumb

ty

when you succumb to your doubts.
it is never too late friend

When you can't into "C".

Depends on what you want to do.

When you stop trying

When you start making threads on Jow Forums about it

If you have to ask, it's too late.

I've seen 40 year olds on a helpdesk, so aside from being a fucking loser I guess never

the best time to start was yesterday
the second best time is now
get fucking started you lazy bastard

what if I have the flu today

>being sick means you can't be at your computer/phone and learn

read books
watch videos
learn
stop making excuses and do it

Why would you want to? IT is a shit career choice. Whatever you do, don't listen to Jewish dick suckers on Jow Forums talking about money. For every dollar you make in IT you have to swallow a gallon of either Binyamen or Rajesh's cum. It's a career for cucks who are so effeminate they couldn't hack it in any other field. Be a man and do a man's job, you'll be a better person for it.

not op but you made me get off my ass right now so thanks for that

Just do it user

Attached: KE6QNYV.png (1357x1281, 1.49M)

That's true for programming, but actual hardware shit and networking is real man's work. This is why nobody on Jow Forums actually does it.

>she needs to join our startup
>let's invite her
How have I missed this every time I saw this before?

How do I get into networking? Do I need a degree?

>am 18
>know barely anything past basic python
>wasted time on surface-level tech classes
is it over?

Not at all. If you can find a datacentre, apply for a job there. The jobs are often shit and plenty of places will hire you to unironically crawl under the floor all day plugging in cables. From there, the only way is up.

You can always learn to kode and work in IT sweetie! We need more powerful, strong women in technology to introduce more diversity! Pure skill or talent cannot replace the need for a diversity of experiences and inclusion in the tech industry, and all it takes is for strong women like yourself to step up to the place and say "YES! I will accomplish my goal and introduce much needed femininity to the technology industry and I will NOT be intimidated by all the tech bros and their narrow minded views!". You can do it girl, YAAAAAAAASSSSSSS

When is it too late to leave an IT career? All it brings is stress and misery

Goto Cisco net academy and find an institution that offers a program near you or learn yourself and get CCNA cert. that should be enough to get your foot in the door.

Bumping so I can reply .

Id say too late is when the market is dominated by Indians and h1b pajeets who will work for slave wages and low ball themselves just to get a job that would have otherwise gone to a proper citizen. So about 2005 is too late.

It's too late beyond your mid 20s to get into tech, or any undergraduate field for that matter. Especially if you're coming from a poor background without preexisting networks or connections.
It doesn't matter how bright or talented you are. People judge you and see you as behind if you are totally honest with them. Even if you have a good excuse, they will view your say poverty at the time as evidence that you are not quite that intelligent or will automatically think that the real reason for your chronic unemployment can only be explained by mental illness. If they do want to hire you, they'll offer an insultingly low salary (30s-40s) because they know you're desperate.
You can, with effort break-in but relative to your peer group who started years earlier, you'll almost always be a day late and a dollar short—salary will be lower, you'll be working harder, and will easily be replaced. Nobody is going to care what some slightly older guy says who occupies a lower position on the rung.

After a certain point, it's better to cut your losses and consider another path in life. Medicine, priesthood, and pharmacy are great options for people irrespective of how late they state and will always give respect among mutual colleagues at any age. This isn't the case with late-bloomers in most career tracks following undergraduate who most certainly will scrutinized and judged. Those require time of course but so does jumping through all the hoops and being at the mercies of people to advance in tech.

People love to say platitudes and vague advice but they haven't been there, and what they say is often rooted in pride than any desire to help you. You might hear inspirational stories but those are n=1 anecdotes, often PR material to get a story on CBS Evening News. Many talented people slip through the cracks because they started too late.

Attached: job market 2019.png (751x482, 316K)

when the job market becomes filled with retards. Aka you’re already too late. Just do a real job that won’t stress you out and underpay you.

yeah

just do something else. too many H1Bs and nepotists to worry about. its not what you know but who

Bruh I'm 26 with a bright future. I just couldn't figure out what path to take. Let your skills do the talking

>playing vidya all day is real man's work
sure

>with a bright future
>what path to take
>Let your skills do the talking.
The absolute irony.

Attached: 1552093602943.jpg (250x250, 7K)

great way to ignore all his advice

If you're 13 years old and still aren't dreaming in code give it up.

dunno. i went into programming at 33. i have a dude in my team that started to code at 48 (he worked at bank (pretty high up) and got bored of it).

It's too late since today. I am really sorry but now you will never be able to become a programmer

Low IQ writing style. Reject opinion.

Never too late. There is a technology called hair coloring, stack it with a hoodie and some well fitted slacks. Talk like you've exited a startup and are just working for fun, or something to keep you interested, but not like you actually have to.
It has blown me away my whole life how engineers downplay marketing and [product|personal] presentation in spite of the reams of data suggesting it has some of the best ROI possible of anything you can spend your time improving.
Some programmers are 55 and really good. They also have stains on their t-shirts, are overweight, and act morose all the time. In a perfect world this wouldn't matter for a job interview, but you are not interviewing or operating for a job in a perfect world.
You have to at least be able to seem like someone the 20-somethings can hang out with without feeling awkward. This is less about appearance than attitude. If you are enthusiastic and keep up with the youth culture a bit, you can probably fit in ok.

cringe.
wishful-thinking and delusionpilled

There could be something to this but, think of the immigrants coming in and battling through. If they can do it an American should be able to.

You can't drink.

Also get swole and lift weights.

Also be comfortable with being beat up and rejected.

Also if you know your shit you know your shit. I'm sure most people in tech are tranny quasi-affirmative action but if you're good you're smart dedicated serious and physically fit and mentally resilient, not drug addled, you can find your way.

I totally understand your frustration and that looks matter even if just subconsciously to everyone is quite the shitty paradigm to navigate. Humans being mimetic creatures results in all sorts of weird unfairness and idiocy.
However when it comes to advice, are we interviewing for a job in an imaginary world, or the real one?
If it's the real world, this is great advice. Just like having a marketing team instead of thinking every product will sell itself is great advice that almost every company in existence learns at some point or another.

When your iq drops below 90

this is extremely true, just don't mistake putting an effort into getting along with your co-workers as trying to fit in. Because you wont fit in like a member of the mystery machine but if you don't try to be the cool old guy you will actually succeed in being the cool old guy by virtue of carrying yourself like you know your shit and having a broader base of understanding

when i was in college the adult students frequently tried an approach that more or less had them ceding their wisdom and age to a group of young kids operating on pop buzzfeed wisdom and it was really annoying because they knew better they just did the whole 'when in rome' thing and that is kind of precisely what you shouldn't do as an older person in that situation

Attached: reddit.jpg (4032x3024, 1.27M)

18? Do you only plan to live to 30? Do more python, do better python.

Also tech it and da computers is not all the shit you see on TV with hoodies and sneakers I'm sure there are normal places where people work and have normal lives with families ignore this tranny youth shit

right back at you user.

Do you have to wear shit like suits in IT? I despise them absolutely hate them in my previous office job i had to wear suit-like shit (pants could be jeans but you had to have a dress shirt) and every minute there was fucking hell

>I started programming and working on computers when I was 9. If you didn't do that, you are never going to make it.

I'm guessing that seeing this attitude has made you felt it is too late.
Look at the comments on some IT YouTube videos. There are men who are probably much older than you writing comments like, "I'm 52, and I just started working in IT thanks to you."
Don't get discouraged and keep trying. If you do that, it is never too late to learn and catch up to the people who seem miles ahead.
Good luck, user.

>21
>still cant code
>wasted my time with maths and school
Its unironically too late

>but, think of the immigrants coming in and battling through
H1B candidates are willing to work for a lower amount and even more attractive, sponsorship is limited to one initial employer, meaning you essentially have someone who cannot leave for better opportunities. They also qualify for positive discrimination points. In light of all these facts, an H1B import stands a better chance than a naturalized US citizen for most jobs.

13 but even at that point you are seven years late of those who started when they were six.

When you give up, user.

You shouldn't. It's too late because the whole thing is going nowhere. The modern tech industry is absolutely cancerous. Outside of embedded applications and basic office work, computers are more of a blight on society than they are useful tools. The argument that anyone needs "social" media (including Jow Forums) is the same argument made by weedfags, that their recreational drug has some legitimate use. Don't contribute to cancer.

Attached: 1556409888558.png (512x512, 162K)

Others just have to big of an lead its useless. You wont get a your foot between the door

t

Attached: 1450021555085.gif (500x536, 388K)

When you're dead

t. HR bullshitter

One of my former classmates was 43 years old when he started to learn programming and he's now happy with his career. I mean, he's only a web dev but it's only too late if you believe it's too late.

Started at 27 and have a decent pay fun job now. It's not too late, if you are enthusiastic enough.

>One of my former classmates was 43 years old when he started to learn programming
And what did he do before that?
Career? Military? Business?

If you're 43 years old and have no work history of value, nobody gives a shit and they're going to pay you next to nothing.
43 years old and zero experience is a death sentence and if you're lucky enough to find a job, they're going to want to pay you jack shit. You're going to be decades behind those who started earlier.

Better to be honest with these people here and tell them they're better off just going into something like trucking where they can make $60k/year after a few months of training than sell them on some meme "well I know this one guy who got lucky so you can to", and waste 4 years of their life just to discover that millions of "better qualified" candidate are competing against them and struggle with unemployment.

Oh yeah I don't live in the us lmao

where do you live?

It's literally one of the few industries where you need zero physical ability (outside of maybe datacenter monkey) to get your job done. So age has just about zero bearing on getting the job done.

TBF you dont need to be too smart either. You can make somewhat respectable living as a help desk monkey. Enough to pay rent and contempt yourself with few paltry leisure's.

Now

Optimistic to say the least. Age doesn't affect how the job is done but it does affect hiring practices, especially if you have years of menial or absent job history.

How do I become help desk monkey? I've got the monkey part down

Attached: 1557241808264.jpg (638x558, 106K)

If you’re not already dreaming in code at age 8, you may as well give up.

You're dumb

if you are here asking this instead of learning or doing some gods work shit its too late everyday

/thread

how do you know they weren't doing it for 10+ years? i doubt anyone would hire a 40yo with no IT experience

Yup, this is how I made my way up. feels good man.

Attached: 326-3261848_318kib-1053x1080-1529863334520-dabbing-pepe.jpg (820x976, 142K)

but you were yungin. you are missing the point of the thread

Going back to school for IT at 26, I hate my current field and IT seems by far my best alternative after doing research for a good while. Might take me a while to find a non helpdesk job but who really cares? Once I work one of those no future employer is going to care when I started (probably)

>Why would you want to? IT is a shit career choice. Whatever you do, don't listen to Jewish dick suckers on Jow Forums talking about money. For every dollar you make in IT you have to swallow a gallon of either Binyamen or Rajesh's cum. It's a career for cucks who are so effeminate they couldn't hack it in any other field. Be a man and do a man's job, you'll be a better person for it.

Attached: 1534575670400.jpg (3024x4032, 1.83M)

No, i started late 30s. its not too late. only area of tech with ageism is like at facebook and google.

Also how fucked am I if I did nothing out of college for two years but as mentioned am going back anyway? My lack of work history is still an issue

>y-you have to shovel shit for a living or y-you're an effeminate cuck! using brain no manly!
starting to think feminists have a point when they talk about fragile masculinity

>Medicine
>literally 10 years of school for someone in their late 20s
>will be fucking 40 by the time they get out residence
>meanwhile this retard thinks a 4-year BSc in CS is a bad choice for someone who is 24-26
holy shit Jow Forums gives horrendous advice. Please don't post.

It's fucking awful advice.

>he thinks BSc makes you a valuable human being

Attached: 1557675696746.png (341x357, 236K)

today

Generally no. A button up shirt and khakis are usually a pretty safe choice to start with, then see what you can get away with. Do your research, my current company even has "you won't ever see a suit and tie here" or something like that on the careers section of their website.

>help desk jobs need at least an A+ cert or 2 years experience or both
>decide to self teach myself java as well
I just want out of this neet life.

if you aren't born into it, it's to late

Right after you ended an IT career.

IT is dead, get into manual labor. There will be a total-industry-collapse in the near foreseeable future.

Forget her inability to navigate a command line, look at that fucking code. Some introduction tutorial level shit. lmao stupid bitch

This. Get a law degree or a CPA certification, because the tech bubble is about to burst.

>get CCNA cert
Which one? There are a ton of them.

This is what people think whenever you start your career late and it really affects perceptions and opportunities.

4-year BSc doesn't guarantee employment, especially if you're older. A medical degree always will. Also Grad loan bux you can actually live off of, unlike undergrad, so it's not like you're living in squalor. You have enough for an apartment and some food and to make ends meet. I struggled post-undergrad and couldn't find employment and eventually went back as a non-trad.

HELP
I FAILED LIFE
LOLE

Programming isn't the only job in IT. I make 18/hr as a VoIP technician, sitting at a desk watching YouTube all day. I might take 5 calls in a 8 hour window.

COMPTIA A+ is a good one for entry level jobs. I got mine for 200 and pirated all the materials. Got me a job at 14/hr answering remote support calls.

I'm assuming this was 99% super basic tech support or was this more high level tech support?

That's nothing.