Old macs thread

Considering a mid-2012 i7 with 2.9 ghz, 16gb of ram, and an SSD. Is this overkill for writing fanfiction, emulating 8-16 bit games and schoolwork? Am a PC guy for desktops so I dunno if it's too much

Attached: download.jpg (300x168, 8K)

>Mac
>Writing fanfiction
Neck yourself.

Imagine buying a windows laptop

>7 year old mac
You'll get better performance out of a $200 Acer.

Attached: 1533207691591.png (636x727, 137K)

>highest spec version with far more GHz than the shitty one in your screenshot, an SSD, as much RAM as most gaming PCs and third-party performance applications

>Imagine buying a piece of hardware that doesn't have software locks and you can run anything you want and need on it.
Do iToddlers really use this as a comeback? Jesus. H. Christ.

the MINIMUM you should look at is a 2013. the difference in battery life between haswell/post haswell and pre-haswell is literally nearly double the battery life.

that's like ivy bridge? that's when intel reached the limit, should be good

You can reasonably use pretty much any computer newer than like 2009 for whatever.

Acer's build quality is appalling. Nice price-performance ratio, but I'd like to have a machine that lasts longer than two years.

>I'd like to have a machine that lasts longer than two years.
Why would you ever consider macshit then?

>Is this overkill for writing fanfiction, emulating 8-16 bit games and schoolwork?
Mine already does that all fine with half the RAM, and it can run less intensive Steam games to boot. You might want to look into getting the HDD swapped out for a SSD to squeeze out a little more performance, though. I've noticed mine chugs from time to time after I installed Mojave.

Watch out for the rubber feet. The stock ones have a tendency to have their glue melt and fall off after a while, but the aftermarket feet supposedly stick around better.

Daily'd my 2012 Pro 15" since release, I doubt you were even old enough to buy a laptop then

I literally bought that kind of MacBook a month ago and can't stop using it. I think a mid 2012 will hold it's value the most since it has the 22nm processors, USB 3.0, and better Bluetooth in the classic form factor. I torrented MS Office and Final Cut with no issues. Accessories are cheap too. Many are practically giving away adapters and the 1st gen Magic Mouse/trackpads. Lastly it is also technically officially supported for the Mojave OS as well but I'm waiting on an SSD to do that.

Attached: 20190512_193927.jpg (3393x2268, 3.98M)

I'm using a 2013 air mostly as a typewriter. Pro should be fine, my only problem is 4gb of ram

Pretty encouraging
Is the mouse in the photo good or a gimmick? I'm considering also getting a wireless version of the older mighty mouse

For the $80 dollars they charge for them new I would feel ripped off but buying used for $20 it ain't bad. And now I have a use for all the free Harbor Freight batteries I hoarded lol. I'd say pick what you want, it's fun to use but a traditional mouse would be more useful, especially if your gaming needs right clicks, it senses right clicks but you can't really roll into a right to left click. But with the ports being on the left side I think wireless is gonna be a must.

Attached: 20190513_191720.jpg (4032x2268, 2.37M)

it'll be fine, but early Retina MBPs run hot even for light stuff while newer ones only run hot under decent stress.

Don't think he's getting a retina, last of the non retinas hopefully.

Back to your containment board manchild.

Attached: 1538216354334.png (400x1650, 367K)

I've got the 2013 model with an i7 4960hq, GT 750m, 16gb RAM, and a 1tb SSD. Jow Forums can seethe all they want but it's still a very very pleasant machine to use for just about every task I throw at it.

Paired with my meme small form factor gaming PC and I'm pretty happy.

see

Thanks for the (you)

see

lel all you need is MacOS. Why would I install some janky ass linux distro on a laptop that comes with 10 things I need to fix before I can use it. Do linux tards really think they have some sort of superiority because they google some fixes for an obscure distro that impresses no one.

Attached: 1557633771843.gif (250x250, 622K)

see

top tier bait

Attached: yRejNKA2rN-6.png (300x250, 25K)

since linux is literally ran by trannies now, shouldn't /lgbt/ be changed to a linux logo?