Jeff Bezos & Blue Origin

Jeff Bezos announced at a Blue Origin event his vision for the future of space colonization. He wants to focus on colonizing the Moon, rather than Mars, and thinks it would be more viable to live inside what are called "O'Neill Cylinders", which you can see a reference of in the picture attached to this post. Personally I agree with the idea of living in space colonies, rather than trying to colonize an extreme environment like Mars, although this leads to questions of how we would be able to acquire resources like fresh water for self-sustaining agriculture. Clearly, mining asteroids would be the most viable solution here, but we have only barely touched on the ability to analyze asteroids, let alone construct mining bases on them. Perhaps to that extent, it would be easier to colonize Mars, seeing as it does have some large masses of ice which could be used to obtain fresh water and provide self-sustaining agriculture while advancements in asteroid mining technology are made. Of course, we could always ferry fresh water to and fro from Earth to the Moon or the colonies, but as it is becoming more and more limited as a resource as time goes on, I think it would be best to acquire this particular resource from sources external to the Earth.

What are your thoughts on this Jow Forums? Do you think living inside space colonies is viable? Will we eventually live an age and time where our souls are no longer weighed down by gravity?

Attached: 1552958773852.jpg (1920x1512, 803K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM
youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4
space.com/41554-water-ice-moon-surface-confirmed.html
acronymfinder.com/GSM.html
nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments_category/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

youtube.com/watch?v=GQ98hGUe6FM

Link to recording of event.

N

I

No

Space is fake op. It's a freemasonic hoax. It doesn't exist.

If we can make good enough rockets, I think both a Mars colony and orbital habitats will happen. I think getting a colony going on Mars will happen first; landing on Mars requires less delta-v than stopping at most asteroids, since Mars has enough atmosphere to aerobrake off of. Adapting various refining & industrial processes to work on Martian gravity should be a lot easier than in zero-g; and setting up radiation shielded habitats on Mars is mostly a matter of landing a battery powered boring machine, digging some tunnels, and sealing them up. That said, after we got the Mars habitats down pat setting up orbital colonies is the next logical step.

Attached: TM6445546465.jpg (960x636, 138K)

>can't even make a rocket
>wants to build fucking space habitats

Jeff Bezos should kys himself

> your thoughts?
jeff bezos never ceases at being a dumb cunt, living entirely in a world of science fiction novels and the make believe.
>If we can make good enough rockets, I think both a Mars colony and orbital habitats will happen.
we need to find better technology to increase performance of what we already have or find a completely new way of launching things at high velocity into space before any of this happens.

>Jeff Bezos should kill yourself himself

>some retard blows up a hole in the wall
>everyone dies
welp, so much for meme cylinders

>Of course, we could always ferry fresh water to and fro from Earth to the Moon or the colonies
no, that's not feasible barring a space elevator. it makes much more sense to acquire water from space, from asteroids or the moon, etc. i do agree that it's better to live in space colonies and mine hostile planets remotely with robotics. no point in getting stuck on a rock that you can't even walk around outside without a pressurized suit.

i want to disagree because mars is so far, but weve had the iss for so long and we dont have a massive terrarium or anything of note. maybe its time to COLONIZE

oneill cylinders are cool, but what about artificial gravity/intertial dampening like sidoni no kishi?
will we never develop this kind of technology?

Is Jeff Bezos planning to drop a colony on Australia?

Isn't that picture Rama?
Did Jeff Bezos just make up a new name for something that he read in a book?

i wholeheartedly agree that a moonbase is the first logical step in space-exploration. the thing is that planning further than that with the knowledge we have now is useless because we simply don't know enough about living in space. getting to moon asap and living there long enough to start industries there is the smart move to make right now.

youtube.com/watch?v=goh2x_G0ct4

go play your bongos somewhere else and let real people do science

Attached: 1183525540814.jpg (800x231, 31K)

nothing against science.
i just want any space program to ensure that any moon colony is populated by PoC and GSM instead of being another white flight gentrification exercise of privilege.

B8

a space launching platform to assemble multistage spacecraft on is the logical first step, you can use it to put a moon/mars mission together to carry more stuff in one go rather than having many saturn-like missions

NASA fucked up by going for the mars meme which is too ambitious without the lessons learned from a moon base. Now the chinks will make the first space base on the moon.

Could you pollute the moon as much as you want?

Mars is less extreme than outer space. It has an atmosphere. It has underground heat that you can extract. It presumably has minerals under the surface that you can mine. It has water ice at the poles.

so has the moon and its so much closer that when something goes wrong it's not that hard to investigate. a moonbase with a routine logistics going on there constantly is the key here

The moon has some minerals, I assume, but literally nothing else out of everything I mentioned. It most definitely does not have an atmosphere.

probably.
not like therse wildlife to worry about.

Great job taking newfag bait.

moon has water:
space.com/41554-water-ice-moon-surface-confirmed.html

and the athmosphere is the least of our problems right now, if something goes wrong in mars it's tens of days away whereas the moon is only a couple of days away, even less if we can routinely fly there

>COLONY DROPS will now be a reality.
We're getting the OYW one way or the other.

copied from gundam

>another billionaire businessman read scifi as a kid thinks he's a genius

Nothing to see here.

God no. We cannot pollute space with niggers.

>There's a chance that Zeon will be a Black Side.

jeff bezos? more like jeff bozos, am I right?

The moon would be a good base station but make a shit colony due to the Jello Baby problem. Same goes for Mars just slightly less so. Space station colonies are certainly the way to go for space colonization when there's no readily available 1G planet/moon. O'Neill Cylinders as they are designed and depicted originally are terrible designs and shape. The torrid-shaped space stations are more stable and more usable. A proper space station for colony purposes would need to have massively thick shielding, no windows except for temporary personal observation like ISS' cupola and massive arrays of solar panels and heat exchangers. Though, nuclear would be best for power generation, solar should still be used for redundancy.

The biggest thing here is that the Delta-V required for Mars is more cost prohibitive than simply launching more shielding for a space station colony. For the Moon, it is still cheaper to simply pass it by than to stop at it when you want to go from Earth to anything else in the solar system. Thus, it isn't even a good stopping point to pickup fuel or anything. However, it may be a better stopping point for picking up additional fuel and stages of craft that were purpose built in space. Like for craft that are intended to go to the outer solar system, out of the system, or anything to do with in-solar system infrastructure like asteroid mining.

Attached: Space Colonies - Jello Baby Chart.png (1360x3472, 1.17M)

It wasn't bait, user is correct. You are a dolt, dolt.

RIP in peace

>GSM
had to look that one up, #10 on the list, not looking so hot
acronymfinder.com/GSM.html

Attached: 1277513998303.png (446x600, 379K)

>weve had the iss for so long and we dont have a massive terrarium or anything of note

Well, the main reason for that is because ISS is strictly for small experiments.
nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments_category/

Some of those experiments have nothing at all to do with space per se and nothing to do with colonization. However, there are lots of experiments specifically design for space exploration, colonization, and related things. Like knowing how the human body performs long term in micro gravity and with x amount of radiation shielding, how systems and redundancies perform, how animals/plants grow and reproduce, etc. Most of the info gathered was already hypothesized correctly by scientists and even sci-fi writers (the older ones with PhDs.) It just needs to be proven that it is true then that info can be used to help design what is needed for everything else in space.

Take for instance all these fancy glass domes you see in sci-fi for space stations, moon bases, and Mars colonies. Real ones won't have those. That is because there's simply too much radiation going through space to allow it. Space colonies will be nothing but artificially lit interiors, gardening with artificial lights, and only scant, small, highly-shielded windows that are temporarily unshielded for someone to snap pics for 5 mins once in a while. The whole thing is a bit depressing when you think about it. It is like living in a submarine, though aesthetic designs will improve as more people go into space and colonize.

>gentrification

That isn't a bad word user. Stop using it as such. Gentrification is the betterment of people and society. Choosing to vilify that and to remain wallowing in the mud is a very ignorant and Luddite mentality that harms all of human society.

>ferry fresh water to and fro from Earth to the Moon or the colonies
I thought the moon had water?
I mean it hit the earth a loooooong time ago.

Even with water/ice mining/production on the Moon they'd still need tons of water all the time for various industrial needs.

No one is stupid enough to risk colonizing Australia. It is a wasteland.

Attached: mad-max-2-the-road-warrior-19812662.jpg (1024x421, 84K)

There are so many needs that humanity likely doesn't know about. That's the problem with space exploration. It's a gamble.

Good luck getting to space when Russia stops sending the rocket engines.

Russia makes US rockets?

Bezos is going to have a hard time doing that at suborbital altitudes

>gentrification is betterment
Imagine being this retarded

Imagine being the shit stain, on society that you are, who has been so deluded by his own failures that he blames others for them.

Attached: Don't blame others for your failures.jpg (570x425, 47K)

>t. Tolyatti squatter

Only the most important parts of the "US" rockets.

They will only stop when they go out of business.

Gundam UC here we come
I cannot wait for moonbase and the epic crate of formally Australia

It felt like a real kick in the stomach when I learned how quickly all Biodome experiments fail. Ecosystems need to be huge in order to have any sort of stable equilibrium.

Roskosmos isn't doing very well...

Going out of business because Jeff and Elon put them out of business.

You want to go with moon base first. There is an easy way to do it without defacing the surface and have protection from the radiation. The moon has large cave systems that can be fitted as a colony and basically allow for landing and take off with very little fuel usage. You would have to wall around it to a specific height due to the sharp dust debris all over the surface. Clean up inside the walls by gravity or other methods and you have a clean surface for transports to fuel up before going to other places in the systems or for detail checking of their craft before attempting re-entry to earth. Maybe just hanger at the moon base and take a normal shuttle to keep fuel and wear and tear to the main ship as little as possible.

Attached: Nova Class.jpg (1131x707, 147K)

This, kind of. Space habitats in Earth orbit make a lot more sense for large scale colonization, but in order to build them you need massive industry and infrastructure on the Moon and Mars. So the question becomes whether it'll be worth it to send humans to Mars or just use robotics, which depends on when we start this and how quickly AI and robotics advance.

The walls will be thick to shield from radiation.

>The moon has some minerals, I assume
The moon was (probably) formed from the Earth, and likely has many of the materials we have here. It also has water.

>Jello Baby problem
Do we have any actual research on that? Because until we breed apes in lunar and martian gravity we really won't know.

>we could always ferry fresh water to and fro from Earth to the Moon or the colonies, but as it is becoming more and more limited as a resource as time goes on, I think it would be best to acquire this particular resource from sources external to the Earth
And they say those New Space companies aren't catering to retards delusions

Cylinders like this + an orbital ring to get the first stuff up (with some particle stream running around inside it to push it up while the outside remains stationary) would probably cost less than some of our current public expenditures.

>He wants to focus on colonizing the Moon
Everything but a base and some satellites for research is probably dumb. Also he's just a rich guy and literally knows nothing about the feasibility of this

I would have guessed that Isaac Arthur would be popular here but it seems like I was wrong.

Health problems caused by lower gravity will be on a curve. How sharp that curve will be needs to be studied. No gravity/micro gravity on ISS basically destroys the adult body.

only good post itt

I think that's idiot for "no, everything I posted was baseless bullshit".

you're not real man!

The general consensus is JELLO BABIES JELLO BABIES JELLO BABIES!!!

Attached: Jello Baby All Grown Up.webm (882x656, 2.12M)

Attached: Jello-Baby-and-Blind-Colonist.gif (1227x1037, 1.68M)

Attached: 1550914262349.jpg (787x731, 150K)

I don't see a problem here, we could and very likely will implement some form of artificial gravity. The O'Neill cylinders create their own gravitational force through rotation.

Can't we just wait for Rama to float up here and just repurpose that?

Imagine never eating fresh meat and breathing fresh air ever again and living probably off onions based instant food.

It would still be infinitely more easy to colonise ocean floors and even easier to do sea steading.

Fuck space. It is a waste of time and resources.

>living in a spinning circus ride on a planet or moon

lol Just do it in space.

Attached: 1548744818177.png (954x692, 813K)

Why not both

it has light minerals which are rare on earth, but conversely, heavy elements are rare on the moon.

Imagine being so sensitive to culture's expectations that you feel the need to make other's feel insulted to numb the stress of you meeting such standards.

Fuck all earthnoids,
gravity weighing down one's soul

Doesn't living in zero gravity for extended times cause osteoporosis?

what do you need bones for?

Attached: 5.gif (475x347, 486K)