Free open-source software

>free open-source software
>no free open-source hardware
why?

Attached: 21879367_1150783748356972_1956418952640856064_n (2).jpg (318x317, 25K)

Other urls found in this thread:

certificate.oshwa.org/certification-directory/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There are several options.
There's much more software around, so you see it a lot more.
Hardware is very few, even proprietary is very few.
power8, power9, risc-v, are CPUs
TAPR for radio
etc

Isnt RISC V open source?

you can't make open source hardware in your moms basement

You mean free as in beer or freedom?

If it's the former, it's because base materials cost money and nobody wants to buy materials to give away for free. Software only requires time.

If it's the latter, there is some free hardware but not much.

watch me nerd

Hardware isn't cheap to make.

Nobody cares about free hardware because of
>The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help others (freedom 2).
Not even Stallman has a lab for copying microprocessors.

So is it even remotely feasible to see an open-source customizable CPU that would be on-par with intel or amd?

Not until 3D printing is cheap, precise, and ubiquitous. So 2099 at the soonest.

Possible? Maybe.
Feasible? Fuck no.

Software can be distributed at no cost, hardware has to be manufactured.

software can be copied and distributed for minimal cost
you just need to create one kernel and you can share a million copies
meanwhile if you want to share a million home made remote-controlled dildos you need to manufacture the hardware a million times

Not if you have an FPGA

Not
But we will get ones that are on par with ARM

Well, you could run it on an FPGA.

Arduino is open sauce hardware

The whole point of FOSS is that software is easy to copy and distribute, so it should be done as they are essentially a series of instructions you just need to execute.

When hardware is as easy as to write and copy as software the movement will take of, there's some move happening but we need greater technology, give it time.

>Software only requires time.
tecnichally, you also spend on electricity, which does cost money. Unless you make software on a library, i guess.

There are actually plenty, since 3D printing is a thing
>That one website that gives out 3D print schems
>AR HMD opensource projects like Northstar
>Anything arduino

Because Stallman had actively worked against this for multiple decades. He actively spread FUD and misunderstanding, telling people that free hardware is unimportant, and sometimes redefining free hardware as hardware GNU/Linux can be run on.
Hopefully RISC-V works out well. Fuck the FSF. Fuck GNU.

Arduinos have closed-source CPUs.

Everything in Weimar Germany was open-source hardware, as patent law did not exist there. This was one of the reasons for their extremely rapid industrialization.

Attached: krupp guns.jpg (971x708, 289K)

But there is and the GPLv3 addresses it in a big part

It's called risc V.

Correction:
Possible? Yes.
Difficult? Yes.

If you really have to ask, you don't deserve an answer.

Isn't Arduino free hardware?

Lol no. Open source community cant even do software right you think they can do hardware better? Kek

Free hardware as in beer. Yeah ofcourse not as people have pointed out stuff costs money. But then again the whole point of FOSS is that you can not that you have too. So I would love to have a fully free pc from the hardware up. Even just getting tinker boards etc with free(dom) hardware would be a game changer. Also I think once this becomes a thing services migh spring up that can actually build your customized hardware designs (which dificult I know but not entirely unfeasible)

Not like the closed source software is any better tbf. If we got open source hardware it’d be just as shit as what we got now, probably worse though. But at least all the vulnerabilities are out in the open ig.

I would really like it if they companies released their schematics and manufacturing processes for their old gear.

>thinking no patent law is equal to open source

No. When it comes to design, the open source community is currently in 1989 (Amber is a working ARMv2a implementation that runs on FPGAs). When it comes to fabrication, the open source community is currently in prehistory (hobby photolithography is limited to huge feature sizes and nobody cares about it anyway).

What are you talking about? No 3D printing will ever be suitable for making modern CPUs with.

Well everyone would have to have an FPGA then. And even so it would still not modern CPUs but it would be very cool og everyone used FPGA bases computers anyways. Freedom wise that is.

>>no free open-source hardware
Did you research after thinking up this stupid post?

Yes but you'd be spending money on electricity even if you have a computer running regardless.

Why don't we emulate free and open source hardware in closed source hardware?

Attached: 85e.jpg (764x551, 263K)

certificate.oshwa.org/certification-directory/
There's not much, but I believe future developments could be led by open architectures and instruction sets -- and we may be approaching a radical change in computer hardware, as quantum advances and becomes more common. We could have the new tech developed by some public international scientific institution, like the CERN or something.

There's plenty. A fuck ton. Free .stls, free scrap, open documentation, just be resourceful

define 3d printing

there's diagrams for every pcb out there.

who the qt