Tfw you get a brand spanking new 33.6k modem for your pentium 2 computer

>tfw you get a brand spanking new 33.6k modem for your pentium 2 computer
The future has arrived.

Attached: boom.png (1000x861, 259K)

was this the first boomer meme

i think it was Jow Forums laughing at old dudes investing on crypto without knowing anything

the thumb is the most important part of this image.

It's the boomer's wife's thumb.

*ex-wife

>tfw you get a brand new 14.4k modem for your Commodore Amiga
>*sip* fuck those days were GLORIOUS.

Attached: 1539823484428.png (1600x912, 533K)

it started as an edit of brainlet wojak I think

Attached: 1531009027628.jpg (281x215, 14K)

I want to go back

I'm so old I had a 300 bps (or was it baud?) modem
I could read the text from BBS's faster than I received it

Internal or external?

you're not old enough if you don't have acoustic coupler

> 300bps
yep, it really was (not) that much fun watching each character type out.

>going to gamefaqs to save all the guides and then disconnect as soon as possible because internet was by the minute and super expense

It's his son, he's a pink wojak who got duped into the college meme with support from his parents who decided to pull the support to buy a yacht

I think at that speed BPS and baud are the same. It's not until you get into the thousands where they begin to diverge, but then again, it's been a while.

Nigga, I had 56k by the time Pentium 2s were out.

>tfw getting a CD drive for the first time
You could install GNU with just one disc. Saved a lot of time.

I remember installing red hat with pic related.

Attached: zippythegnukangaroo.jpg (640x480, 22K)

>tfw 22 year old game still plays great
AoE1 > AoE2 in terms of aesthetics and civs

I remember downloading the trial version back in 97, it took 72 hours. Thankfully we had a dedicated phone line for our internet connection so no phone calls fucked with my download.

Attached: age of empires 1.png (1024x768, 178K)

>usrobotnik
Hayes is better.

In the late 90's, you only bought a 33.6K modem because you were a poorfag that couldn't afford the extra 100 bucks for a 56K modem, or because V.90 had not been standardized and choosing between USRobotics or K56Flex for increased downstream depending on your ISP was too much of a hassle, or because you were living in the middle of nowhere where the distance to your phone office's digital line converters was too large to make it work anyway.

Wintoddler shit.

Attached: 1444834474758 (2).webm (1920x1080, 265K)

Dead serious question: how safe was the internet back in the 90's/early 00's? Did you have to worry about drive by downloads and harmful JS? Asking people who were at least late teens back then, I was a kid, so I neither knew nor would I have cared.

People hacking the shit out of you (e.g. when connecting to IRC networks which didn't obfuscate hostnames by default) was an actual threat because everyone connected their Win9x shitboxes (and to a lesser extend, unixoid systems running all kinds of vulnerable services) directly to the internet without a firewall. The only saving grace was that you were generally only connected for relatively short moments of time and you couldn't just sweep the whole IPv4 address space in a matter of minutes like you can now with a gigabit connection.
It only got really worse between the time when broadband became widespread and issues like AOL net send broadcasts finally raised some general security awareness (e.g. XP SP2 introducing a personal firewall and a persistent prompt to install antivirus software by default).

I started using the internets back in 2000 / 2001. As far as I remember Windows up to ME had some serious exploits that could fuck over people. Back then it was typical for malicious websites to fuck over people with fast moving windows and other major annoyances.

People were hacking a phishing the shit out of each other. Entire databases and APIs would be open with zero security and you could easily hack the highscores. Some first online games even stored everything client side kek

that disgusting neckbeard wiggling his sausage fingers like a complete faggot

Plus, what's with the gay little bangles on his wrist?

>mfw i'm old enough that when i was at school in my late teenage years we all had a zip to store our project and personal date on it

Attached: 1555268210193.gif (240x138, 289K)