What is a good baby's first Linux distro?

I installed Windows 10 recently and disabled updates, removed bloatware, etc, but somehow, out of nowhere, my machine started doing updates after I had already disabled updates several different ways. Now there's a bunch of bloatware installed and extra random shit eating up resources (not many, but it's still not ok with me).
I'm tired of my machine not doing what I explicitly tell it to. Flame me for Windows 10 if you want, idc. Games aren't worth this horseshit anymore.
What's a good starter distro? I am working on my AS in programming, watch anime, and pirate movies. So that's the bulk of what I'd be doing.

Attached: vlcsnap-2019-03-15-02h17m06s086.png (960x720, 439K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntubudgie.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=zsvGqbbRGoc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Arch
it will blow your mind

Fuck whatever the other tards on this board say about muh gentoo and shit, go Ubuntu. You won't be disappointed since it runs great on nearly anything.

Don't fall for the memes and install one of these:
- Any Flavor of Ubuntu
- Debian

I switched to Linux a few years ago for the exact reasons you are now. Use xubuntu. You don't want something for your first distro that takes a lot of configuration for things to look good and work right. Once you get used to using your package manager if you feel a desire to distrohop I suggest debian (non-free netinst iso) for a more minimal system.

Arch unironically. Most of the time you will spend reading the wiki just like every experienced linux user.

If you're not afraid of wasting some hours on a wiki and playing with stuff and breaking some other stuff Arch will show you GNU/Linux properly, you'll learn to edit config and setup stuff to your liking, it is very fun imo and you end to a system to your liking.

If you don't have time for that shit, Ubuntu of any flavor will do you well, it just works and is somewhat familiar.

arch, you'll get the basics, and can stand up any modern vert to test other things?
I think this.

Holy fuck, the amount of people recommending arch on this thread just shows how buttfuck retarded Jow Forums is
Do NOT install arch as a first distro, you WILL inevitably botch your installation and fuck your configs up as well as some other random shit like fucked up clock or locale (not my experience but I have seen it happen)
Just install Ubuntu or Kubuntu and try it out first, see what you like and what you don't like about it, as well as understanding what differs between a distro and DE, how to work a package manager and what's a rolling or a fixed release. After understanding the basics of an unix-like environment, you can move on to arch, where you'll be configuring every single piece of the operating system manually and in the command line, such as partitioning, DE and default software, system locale and clock, user groups and permissions... well, you get the idea.
TL;DR install kubuntu

could go with Manjaro as well for a middle ground. gain some familiarity with arch systems while being very user friendly

Linux Mint
Pop! OS
Manjaro

just start with ubuntu and get comfortable with the terminal and installing packages and stuff, Then maybe move onto debain or arch or whatever, Honestly the distro does not really change THAT many things, and if you want a different look with ubuntu install a different desktop eviroment.

manjaro is horrible and you should just use antergos or anarchy instead

the memedistro trifecta

The trade off for Linux is while you will be able to tell your computer what to do, as you refer to it. You will not be able to choose what software you get to run on your system, as Linux uses a repository system dictating which software you are allowed to install. Arch is slightly better in this regard as it also integrates a user run repository but its still locked down in that sense.

Technically you can build what software you actually want from source but essentially no one outside of developers actually does that, and they only do it for software they are familiar with.

>meme distros
Either use Zorin or kill yourself

you fucking what mate? you can just add more repos in most distros??

Ubuntu for babby's first just for the sheer amount of newfag friendly information and tutorials. There's safety in the herd.

you can add personal repos but it's overly complicated and requires that someone already built a binary for your OS. (if they did that, its probably already in an existing repo).

>overly complicated
are you retarded? it's usually one line you can copy directly from the website

debian is good babbi one. try arch and gentoo when you're older.

Make sure to get a distro with KDE

honestly it's hard to go wrong. anything with a good installer and prepackaged DE should do nicely. i'm a big fan of Trisquel because it respects its users' freedom!

I mean the actual process of earmarking a personal repo is dead simple, you are essentially just writing to some property fields to make the OS happy. But getting something to run in the way you think is not easy. Once you get off the beaten FOSS trail and want to install the programs you actually want it goes to shit really fast.

if you can't disable windows updates, you can't handle linux
now shoo

Attached: 1557800945169.jpg (425x425, 16K)

gentoo

Slackware is the best first and last distro

cringey neckbear

Stupid meme

Attached: kv79z589srx11.png (1200x800, 840K)

care to explain why?

Linux Mint KDE, if you get into it then try Arch. If you're a masochist try Gentoo.

i'll just direct you to someplace more fitting for you

for babbys first distro, its best to have something that focuses on polishing a particular desktop:
kde neon
mint cinnamon
mx linux for xfce
q40s for trinity de

these offer "windows" style desktop metaphors, so they can lull you into a false sense of familliarity that can frustrate you when things dont work in precisely the same way.

so if you are wiling to confont the unfamiliar, you could use desktops that by default do not imitate, and instead offer very strong opinions of their own about what a desktop should be:
elementary os
ubuntu mate
fedora gnome

Ubuntu(flavors) or Arch
Everything else is a meme

Attached: 003 - EgQr27N.jpg (990x720, 54K)

I wonder why the guide doesn't mention shit like cfdisk (as opposed to fdisk) or wifi-menu (as opposed to writing out text files and starting the interface manually), both interactive CLI applications that do the same shit with less headache.
Can't even pull the "Arch makes it harder" meme since they're in the ISO by default.

Other than that the installation is pretty painless, once you get a DE set up it's the same as any other distro.

Ubuntu
Debian is fine I guess, but I had soem problems with my multi monitor setup

I also don't recommend Mint, it's supposed to be the same as Ubuntu just a different desktop environment, but when I tried it it had some pretty old packages and I couldn't even get cmake to work.

I think Pop!_OS is nu-Mint, but without the problems of Mint.

The desktop environment you choose is going to matter more than the particular distro. However, getting a 'feature complete' distro, wherein you get a more complete package and don't have to fiddle with the desktop environment, I would probably recommend
>KDE Neon
>Linux Mint
>Fedora Gnome
In that order.

If you want a gentle-ish learning curve, I would suggest KDE Neon or Mint. It could be argued that Fedora kind of sort of is the "industry standard" version of Linux, along with Ubuntu.

If you want to "learn Linux" eventually, I strongly recommend you set up a virtual machine to do so, or use a bargain-bin laptop. Don't screw around with your actual workstation.

You seem to want two different things. Bloatware seems to be a problem for you, so you want something more minimal. But you also ask for a starter distro, so you probably want something simple. Unfortunately, a lot of the really minimal ones like Arch, Gentoo and Slackware aren't really that easy to use or at least install. And a lot of the easier to install ones have loads of preinstalled stuff, like Ubuntu and other Debian-based distros. So you should either pick one of the latter and just deinstall stuff, which, unlike with Windows, won't get reinstalled anyway, or you pick distros which are somewhat of a middleground, like Antergos or Debian.

Of the major distros, Mint and Ubuntu are the easiest to install. Fedora follows closely.
Debian might be a bit trickier but is rock solid.
You might want to experiment in the future and install something like Gentoo, Arch and all the other meme distros but you will find one of the ones above or some other "user-friendly" distro will likely cover all your needs of experimentation, customization and so on.

Xubuntu, Kubuntu, regular Ubuntu
try them in virtual machines first

>Now there's a bunch of bloatware installed and extra random shit eating up resources (not many, but it's still not ok with me).
this is probably your fault but whatever
also get an SSD

>KDE ever
Other than Zorin like someone mentioned, xfce is probably the simplest and not stupid eye candy-filled for normies.

I'd sooner put my grandma on xfce.

>Babys First Linux
Mint or Ubuntu Desktop
>Serious about learning Linux
CentOS or Fedora

Just try Solus os !

ubuntubudgie.org/

my god that UI just looks fucking huge and awful.

isn't gnome stupidly thicc too?

Excellent taste my man. OP this is the non meme answer.

has xubuntu updated lightdm/locker to fix the screen turning off on resume from screensaver or standby?

Ubuntu. Period. Don't fuck with fancy shit til you know the basics

Fedora or Ubuntu, probably Fedora.

Attached: 1548725703589.jpg (500x650, 53K)

Yeah and they're both trash.

V18.10 was pretty great, but 19.04 is a step backwards from the quality they were on the way to.

Linux Mint. That was made to be the simplest as possible for the user.
Use Xfce version you have a toaster.

I’m switched to Kubuntu after having the same issues with Windows 10. I’d highly recommend it I’ve tried Mint in the past and I couldn’t stand it. I’d also recommend you stick to anything Ubuntu fuck Arch and all that gay larp shit.

Ubuntu is unstable as fuck and breaks constantly due to being based on Debian testing. Use Slackware for stability.

This. Not only it's good for a newbie, you may as well stay in one of these, since everyone else sucks compared to them.

Ubuntu or debian, you can always try something more advanced later.

This, antergos is miles better if you're considering manjaro.

I started with ubuntu.
didn't like it. went fedora. really liked it. fedora is owned by ibm now which is a minus but I still believe it's a great starter distro (and you can comfortably remain on it without ever really needing to change too.)

GNU/Linux*

>Linux Mint XFCE, CINNAMON OR MATE
>Pos os (instead of ubuntu)
>Kubuntu

youtube.com/watch?v=zsvGqbbRGoc

Attached: 1550154614312.png (528x501, 293K)