/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread/fglt/

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

LibrePlanet 2019 conference videos:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnl0VdFgaH4zDIK5sl2Bl1FEf1B0ELn_U

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: stallman-talking-about-free-softwarez.jpg (1920x1075, 520K)

Other urls found in this thread:

askubuntu.com/questions/879986/emmc-boot-installation-compatibility)
youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE
github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO
github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues/new
fsf.org/blogs/community/libreplanet-2019-videos-now-live
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Linux is obsolete.

Attached: 15480015057360.jpg (1280x898, 266K)

Gnome is gay

There is literally nothing wrong with being gay.

gays are cool, fags are the worst

any anons have experience with linuxacademy? should i bother with this shit or should i just read a book? the format is appealing to my simple mind

>fedora 30
>sudo dnf update
>fail to synch cache
>fail to synch cache
>fail to synch cache
>fail to synch cache

What a hell. How i fix that?

>Gnome
I've just flat out avoided GNOME applications for quite some time. They've removed the menu and window title-bar from every single application. gedit, which they've now renamed "Text editor", used to be decent. Now it's just trash like the rest of GNOME.

I honestly don't get GNOME's design-decisions. It's like they are intentionally trying to drive their dwindling user-base away.

try dnf clean all and see if that helps. it's possible but I'm not sure it's likely.

failing to sync the cache is more likely a result of something related to your network setup. Like DNS or something else. Are you sure everything network-related is working as it should on that machine?

I hate kpop op

I just like the girls, the music is disgusting zoomer garbage.

Attached: DaYXGcUV4AADg1k.jpg (802x1200, 256K)

degenerate

Everything web-related with a qt UI depends on the qtwebengine, which is based on chromium
The botnet is in the way of my lxqt desktop

Use MATE.

no u

He's right, you know.

Attached: Bezos.jpg (720x766, 56K)

Which distro is best for both RAMdisk and virtualization of a Windows OS? I don't need a DE. It just needs a net connection, RAMdisk, and solid virtualization.

Is polybar broken? I've tried tweaking it for hours now and nothing is working?

>that greedy asshole
>we should have all his money instead

Don't reply to off topic bait. Just report and hide.

Tax the rich!

based
fuck beZOG

How does updating work in Guix? If I want to update GNOME for example, and Guix packages 3.28 as default in Guix 1.0 but there's 3.32 available, do I need to wait for Guix 2.0? Or can I move up to 3.32 and it just works it out without breaking the fucking system?

KDE fanboys

explains yourselves

Attached: kdenlive-crash-on-adding-title-text-clip.vp8.webm (1280x720, 2.45M)

>freedom from corporate spying
>not in topic with the software freedom general

Attached: d6f.jpg (403x389, 19K)

wallpaper please :)

Why is this here?

Slackware or void?

Can someone help me
i m using icecat and i cant install add ons
i tried everything i could find but no luck
the add ons work-i can load them temporarily but i cant install them

non-tech savvy person here

I have been having a blast with gnuLinux since you guys adviced me to ditch Windows, but i still need windows for my games and obscure software that doesn't have a linux version.

My question is: how far are we from virtualized gpu's? i know about qemu+gpu passtrough, but i want something like what we have on cpu's, where the VM recognizes the cpu virtualization capabilities and just works.

Attached: 1518914215498.jpg (1800x1322, 350K)

It senses degeneracy

Any bspwm users here?
I don't use gaps and I really hate how the border line looks. I've been trying to find a way to make the focused terminal look "brighter" or more "focused" than the others in the same desktop.

As you can see in pic related, currently all terminals look the same and it could get confusing after zooming out. Anyone knows how to do this? Thanks a lot.

Attached: 2019-05-14-150234_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 254K)

I'm trying to install Lubuntu on a computer but it has an eMMC for a hard drive and is having issues. I've read here (askubuntu.com/questions/879986/emmc-boot-installation-compatibility) and the only thing I can't do is disable Legacy Option ROM. Any other way around this so it can boot from the eMMC?

Parabola

Linux has jumped miles in a matter of a few years when it comes to gaming. You can play almost all modern games now. Check this out:

>youtube.com/watch?v=Co6FePZoNgE

What other obscure software do you need?

An operating system.

I am a macfag who got into linux due to the servers I'm managing (all debian or ubuntu based). I'm considering moving away from osx when I buy my next laptop.

I just installed gentoo in a vm. I installed SLiM and bspwm so I've got a basic environment up and running. What should I do next?

I know, and i will only use linux once the time comes, but for now i need windows, since i love to install mods and the kind of software needed to mod games often crashes -or just don't work- on wine

so can anyone explain how clear linux went from 0 to something that my non-linux coworker knows about? Is it any good or no? Is there an AMD equivalent or is every distro considered that?

realistically what does buying a homeless person a home do? They're usually homeless because
>not intelligent enough to have a stable income
>addiction
>psychological problems
>not intelligent with money in any sense
>faking for free gibs from retards like this guy.
I mean there are some cases where homeless people are homeless due to just shit luck of the draw but the rest nah.

It just got a GUI installer so it's in the news right now

is it any good tho? Also if that's it then wtf I can't imagine it was hard before.

>Is there an AMD equivalent
github.com/InBetweenNames/gentooLTO

What am I missing if st can only do either full or no transparency? compton is up and running

Only once everything attributable to the GPU is handled as CPU vector instructions. So like 10 or 20 years from now if ever. Even then it's likely anything off the CPU die is going to have to be assigned to one OS or the other for latency reasons. Like we do with every other kind of add-on device presently.

why is chromium on void still on version 72 when 74 has been out for a while now you'd think that's one of the few apps they'd keep updated regularly.

These twitter tards are fucking dumb. Anyone over the IQ of 70 know Bezos networth is not entirely in liquid cash. So no, he can't buy every homeless person in America a home.

it just hasn't been updated yet
you could open an issue on github.com/void-linux/void-packages/issues/new

What about Intel GVT-g or that virtualization thing Nvidia does with their Quadro cards?

People should stop visiting Distrowatch. Every visit makes 'em dumber.

i'm pretty sure that all cases are shit luck

Anyone else having issues with Appchan X or other greasemonkey scripts in Kubuntu with firefox? It doesn't work at all.

Attached: ass.jpg (500x337, 38K)

I sometimes wonder things like which distro has the world's largest install image size or which one is the most used amongst mentally ill people. My life is pretty bleak to be honest.

Anyone knows what's up with my install of krita's font being this tiny all of a sudden? I've looked around but I can't figure out where I'd change it back to normal, googling did not seem to have what i was looking for, deleting kritarc didn't fix it either, and I can't find any qt or kde config files that looks like they would contain font related stuff.

Attached: 2019-05-14-225834_2560x1440_scrot.png (313x576, 21K)

why??
why can't have nested while reads?
It just works absolutely weirdly, but I kind of need to do it.

(what i need to do is main read line from file and nested read line from stdin)

Attached: 1547240271398.jpg (493x615, 69K)

Attached: 2019-05-15-005655_645x434_scrot.png (645x434, 48K)

I am fairly new to Linux and i just did a fresh install of Antergos with KDE. Whenever I screenfetch from console I get the following error.

QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: Breeze, Oxygen, QtCurve, Windows, Fusion
QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
Available styles: Breeze, Oxygen, QtCurve, Windows, Fusion

It show sup twice just like this. I haven't messed with any settings or app styles. Anyone know how to fix it?

Libreplanet videos are up fsf.org/blogs/community/libreplanet-2019-videos-now-live

I read some of these, but I don't get the reason why it doesn't work

You don't use read to read from stdin. You use $(

what?

Harmful thoughts that may lead to telemetry desires.

The fuck is clear linux?

A distro

Eye-wateringly expensive driver hacks that don't work very well. Intel doesn't even have an actual dGPU product.

I understand > (append) and >> (overwrite). please exbrain < and

Flavor of the month distro.

>t. fucktard Jow Forums spammer

Wher e does stuff go when u send it to /dev/null?

> overwrite
>> append

< read from a file as standard input
$ cat file | grep something
is equal to
$ grep something < file

there's no such thing as

nothingness, even if you're a religious person

/dev/null goes to the great recycling bin in the sky, bytes get reincarnated to reduce the environmental impact of computing

yea I mixed up the two sorry, real tired today
I thought < could be used to input from other commands as well. thanks

>I thought < could be used to input from other commands as well.
bash has this too, called "process substitution"
cmd

If i use armory to create a bitcoin address and then someone sends me bitcoins to it, how do i convert that to USD?
Are fees going to rape me?

very good link!

Should I install Fedora or Antergos? I'm on Xubuntu right now. I used Manjaro for while, and Mint before that.

There are only two distros. Arch and Debian.

Slap KDE Plasma on there, and get Vim.

Antergos is unironically the best Arch-based distro. Some people have reported install trouble, but it was fine for me, and it runs creamy.

< read file
append to file

$ cat

I want a decent distro that I can install on this old Netbook I have. It's i386 (an Atom) so Arch seems to be out. I wanted to check out Crunchbang++ but there's no direct ISO download and the torrent is going to take forever. Any other suggestions?

herefiles seem like such a niche and obscure thing
what practical applications do they have?

I have an interesting scenario. I have 2 hard drives i want to use 1 for windows gaming and the other for linux, I also already store my games on both drives. Can i setup the 2nd drive to have a large partition that i can use to boot into linux ?

Automating sessions in command interpreters. Also more readable sometimes if you have a wall of text that requires a shitload of escapes.

>>I have an interesting scenario.
>implying you have an interesting scenario

this isnt friendly

Yes. Either move the data on the 2nd drive to create room at the _front_ for GRUB + your distro
Then in your BIOS give the 2nd drive priority booting and it'll let you choose to boot windows or GNU/Linux.

Or, install your distro to the _back_ of the 2nd drive and then overwrite the windows bootloader on the 1st drive with GRUB.

The 1st option has the benefit of not having to overwrite the windows bootloader. But resizing a partition to make room at the front is a bit more dangerous and takes longer.
The choice is yours

but the problem is my games wouldnt be able to fit on just the 1 drive

Yeah, I want a refund on my expectations.

Download moar ram. Then you can store your games in it.

Debian netinstaller with lxde.

I'm trying to learn about infosec networking, and I keep seeing people using parrot os (debian-based). Is it any good?

Attached: parrot.jpg (1440x797, 281K)

So i download some images and it came witH json and text files, how do i merge the json file in to the metadata/exif data so that i can view it in an image viewer?
Prefer a way to do an entire folder at one time(100+)

what is going on with linux on arm? Does the desktop still run like trash and youtube videos stutter like a bitch? Is Maynard ever coming out?

I don't understand what you're asking then user. Are you expecting me to somehow solve the problem of your data not being able to fit on 1 disk?

But if you're just asking "can I?" the answer is yes, you can organize your shit literally any way you want with the only requirement being that whichever disk you want to give boot priority too should have GRUB installed at the very front of the disk.
If you want to post an exact example then feel free to, but I don't know how you expect to organize your games

ARM is still gonna be ARM.

so the nvidia board is the only option for not shitty performance?

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, but the Solus forums are dead as shit.
I’m trying to install Solus on my Thinkpad x200T with the live iso via USB. I made the boot media with dd. When I try to boot from this usb on my thinkpad, nothing but a white cursor appears on screen and the light on the usb flashes steadily. The same installation media will boot just fine on my other laptop, an a1278 MacBook Pro
Any idea what to do?

>have a wall of text that requires a shitload of escapes
at that point you would conceivably simply open your text editor lmao