/wdg/ - Web Development General

Have a nice day.

Previous thread: >Beginner Roadmap and Overview
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
youtube.com/watch?v=UnTQVlqmDQ0

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction to HTML/CSS/JS and Node.js or Django
freecodecamp.org - curriculum including HTML/CSS/JS, React, Node.js, Express, and MongoDB
javascript.info - curriculum providing a strong basis in JavaScript

>Further learning resources and documentation
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
hackr.io - crowdsourced collection of tutorials from across the web for learning languages and libraries (ignore sponsored stuff, look at upvotes)
learnxinyminutes.com - quick reference sheets for the syntax of many different languages (generally not sufficient on their own for learning something, but very helpful)
pastebin.com/gfBPg24A - Collection of PHP links.

>Asking questions
jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS
3v4l.org/ - Use this and post a link, if you need help with PHP/HackLang

Attached: wdg.jpg (1280x720, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.docker.com/compose/extends/#adding-and-overriding-configuration
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/map#Specifications
codewars.com/kata/noobcode-01-supersize-me-dot-dot-dot-or-rather-this-integer?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_coding_challenges&utm_term=2019-05-14
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1095&v=HaEPXoXVf2k
youtube.com/watch?v=TsgKnb1E8jA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for jQuery master race.

>tfw my code monkey brain finally got it together and got JWT token renewal & socket authentication working

is there a magic declarative shit, like I just give it some REST API and it makes a nice functional frontend of it? Probably with an option to use some specific css framework as well? I hate doing frontends

Vue.js
It looks cool but I find it weird.. Are people mostly launching it from CLI or using it from a Webserver dedicated html page ?

no, how would that remotely be possible?
The only thing you could reasonably expect an automated process to put out with current pre-super-AI technology is the same thing you can create in ~10 minutes. Basically a page with some buttons, text fields and some AJAX calls woven in.
You don't really 'launch' Vue from the command line. Maybe a dev server or some server-side-rendering framework.
Normally it's just part of your sites JavaScript.

like react-admin without the retarded react-adminness. Just display these items like a pack of cards or table and be done with it

What do you need it for? Would Postman be sufficient?

>no, how would that remotely be possible?
Not the guy you're replying to, but I don't think it would necessarily be that complex. Not actual functionality, but just the basic dashboard. Just taking the field names and types, plus the format to send in (get vs json post vs form post vs whatever), and then spitting out a reasonably pretty set of form fields with a submit button, and some JavaScript that sends the request and displays the result (as opposed to letting the form submit for real and causing a navigation).

no, I need it for customer facing saas

Whats the best practice for running jobs in backend and letting front end know its done?

say im uploading a video and its gonna convert, i want it to redirect to finished video when its done. How?

How can I detect memory leak from my script on the page?

I have no idea how to approach it. i already detected there is a leak and I'm confident it is my script I injected into the page but I dont know how to figure out what exactly in my script does it.

If i have certificates from in my native language should i translate them for my CV or nah?

Attached: 1546741451045.jpg (326x326, 20K)

websockets

Vue allows you to build a JS bundle file that, when called in an HTML file, renders HTML in a browser. You can serve that however you want

There is a Vue CLI that automatically generates a project for you, so you don't have to set up babel / webpack. It's very very good and I recommend you try it.

Someone said in a previous thread you need to do a basic todolist to get a job in webdev, what the fuck is this true? I made two full stack sites and two front-end only ones and i am still scared to apply because i think i am too stupid for it

Can anyone help me out with these questions? Got sent these by a recruiter for an interview I have tomorrow but they’re stumping me. I know I’m supposed to use either focus or autofocus for the first one but I’m not really sure what it’d look like (does it go in the a tag...?)
And the second has be completely stumped.

Attached: B626A741-E09F-43B2-98E5-76A986D41EB5.jpg (639x435, 72K)

apply while grinding algorithms

These are some crucial basics user, maybe you should develop yourself some more before applying at jobs like this.

set the onClick handler of any button with class "skip" and set the focus onclick?

second, a simple for loop?

If you can't solve those, what is some employer going to pay you for?

>jquery

drop the place asap

this

>Grinding algorithms
>But the questions you will get are shit like this
Dont know, seems really not worth it, especially when i asked how to make a binary ATL tree to my friends who work in webdev and they all didnt know what the fuck was i talking about

if you need padding yes, otherwise nah

Webdev is a joke. I've got a coworker who constantly rants that the API is often too low level but when asked to implement the api he wants, he just sits there browsing reddit.

Is Django a good framework?

The second one just seems like a bad question, why would you even be doing that on the frontend?

>when i asked how to make a binary ATL tree to my friends who work in webdev and they all didnt know what the fuck was i talking about
Could it have been because you meant AVL tree?

To be fair, I never learned the details of AVL trees in my CS curriculum and I got a job just fine.

Do I go freelance again lads? bored of my job of 2.5 years (senior front end), have freelanced before successfuly but got bored of dealing with clients. Thinking either try for full time remote job or just freelance and have more free time.

Shit of course i meant AVL, still they knew what i was talking about because i showed them yt videos (and didnt fuck up the name like this time) but they didnt bother to give a fuck about it.

>freelanced for 2 years
>worked for 2 years more
>suddenly nobody wants to hire me anymore
God fucking damn it I hope crash comes soon. Especially due to

Could you give me some pseudo code or something if you have time? Like I can guess what you mean, but I don’t know how the syntax would look like at all.

I dunno, it’s a company that makes websites accessible for the disabled so maybe that answers your question.

>pseudo code
Not being mean user but do you know any javascript or have you used jQuery before?

If you want Python i'd suggest Flask, Django is just too "big", flask can do the same shit

It does not have integrated database management tho, right?
I am writing a front-end to a database, not a static site.

Yup, API Platform does all of that,
and it's extremely powerful

Literally instal SQLAlchemy

Good job user.
Did you use socket.io?

How do i call my personal site about myself? For now its literally called mywebsite lmao

If you want an ORM baked in, Django. Also, django is fat.

If you want to write your own and be lean, Flask and SQL alchemy

is it dangerous to just forward a port on my router and expose my IP to share webpages i make with friends and stuff

Just host your site on Heroku, its free with a DB that has up to 10k rows

Yes. Mainly to use specific libraries. Now I can start promisifying my async callbacks that aren't really async. If I ever do another socket project I'll look into websockets or whatever that another user mentioned

Docker really is handy

>Create project that combines like 5 different programming languages
>Throw them all in containers
>Combine them with Docker compose
>Call it a day

What's the best phpmyadmin alternative/trendy replacement? Preferably something with a Docker image I can put in a compose file.

Its a lot to take in at once. I had a tool chain that did a lot of what Docker did which I felt bad about needing to replace, but once I was able to totally digest what docker (and kubernetes I guess, but I haven't delved that far in yet) can do for scaling individual parts of our stack/software across different machines, VMs, etc. it began to feel worthwhile. I still haven't totally wrapped my head around everything though, which is annoying.

isn't this ngrok?

I’ve built my own website but I shy’d away from using Javascript beyond making a register button, honestly.
I kinda lied earlier though, the interview was today. Got asked two questions, how to target a specific tag and add a role to it, and how to change the innerHTML of an Learn-More to “learn more”. Think I got my thoughts across but I ended up having to write pseudo code.

>layered fs with shared kernel

wow, that was hard. 90% of docker use case is static linking binaries because brainlets can't into dependency management or pick a language that supports it. The rest is writing shell scripts into yaml files.

Is this a good way to handle having different services running in a development environment vs production?

docs.docker.com/compose/extends/#adding-and-overriding-configuration

what is your expected salary for this position?

$30 an hour

nice, hope you get it

We have a system in place for dependency management, but the remote workers that we were trying to hire couldn't follow instructions/debug build failures or even send the logs over to me reliably. Also I don't want to store binaries in our git repo, and even then its not like static linking makes cross-platform compatibility magically possible. Docker solves the issue and a lot of others (that I'm sure to encounter in the coming months) in the process.

>I dunno, it’s a company that makes websites accessible for the disabled so maybe that answers your question.
Damn I should do this on upwork. I spent a long time getting a law firm's site up to date when the new regulations came out 2-3 years ago in the US but after that I did nothing with what I learned. That company makes their money solely off of that?

Yeah, purely off of it. I don’t think they have any competitors either.

Alright never mind I'll just use the default phpmyadmin image. I wonder why its not Docker official? I won't enable it in production anyway so I guess it shouldn't matter.

Do you need a web based solution?
I much prefer something like dbeaver, heidisql, mysql workbench, ssms when working with databases.

Does anyone know if Array.map() is an ES5 or 6 feature?

developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Array/map#Specifications

My client switched up what I'm doing.

Originally I was supposed to add some stuff to WordPress which I'm bad at so I charged low.

Now he wants to use something I know how to use so I want to charge more since I will be able to go a lot faster.

Would it be normal for me to void and rewrite the contract with a higher hourly rate?

I honestly think you better ask that at reddit.

because the spacing? I space like that because the reply box is so small and it helps me read it better. Also it looks better than having one really long line.

Depends, did you sign anything yet and does he know you set that price because of that reason?

I've told clients before that I charge differently for more intensive work. Are on-site, only ever take on a single client, or they've got a low cap on hours/week? If not, just bill them appropriately. Don't bean count your own hours to minimize what you make.

Sharing your ip means two main vulnerabilities. IPs give away your general location, and if you've got an open port with a known vulnerability they can exploit it. Both are pretty low if you know the people and can do basic computer administration.

How good is DJagno?

Started as an intern only knowing shitty html and css in August 2018 making a $1500 monthly stipend. Got hired on as a jr fullstack dev in November 2018 for $50k a year. Just had my 6 month review and salary went up to $54k. Nice $4k raise but I'm still a jr :(

i wish i'd earn 50k usd a year

Review my code please : codewars.com/kata/noobcode-01-supersize-me-dot-dot-dot-or-rather-this-integer?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly_coding_challenges&utm_term=2019-05-14

function superSize(num){

let arrayString = num.toString().split("");
let arrayInt =[];
//Convert to int so I can sort them
arrayString.forEach(function(element){
arrayInt.push(parseInt(element,10));
});

//Sort the array , reverse the order , join them and finally convert them to Int
return parseInt(arrayInt.sort(function(a,b){return a - b }).reverse().join(''),10);

}

>finally get contract at $50/hr. after years of searching
>easy work, but unfamiliar platform/template language (PHP)
bros, I can't fuck this up. Halp.

Are you working with WordPress too?

Not wordpress, but something similiar. How is wordpress for you?

`${true && 'big'}`

function superSize(num) {
const arrayString = num.toString().split("");
const arrayInt = arrayString.map(str => Number(str));
const sorted = arrayInt.sort((a, b) => b - a).join("");
return Number(sorted);
}

I see. I gotta practice more.

Got a stupid question to know how fucked I am. Not gonna lie, it's for school.
I have 2 weeks and half to make a simple e-commerce wich means just doing the product lists pages, the product page, a login system, a CRUD for the products and customers and a cart.
I don't have to deploy it or make a real implementation of a payement system and stock management, just basics operations will do and I just need to run it on my computer to present it to my teachers.
All that with Angular and Spring Boot for the backend.

I don't work, I don't have school and I don't have to stylize it in a certain way. So I'm going to do that all day long from now on. Already started I'm like 10% done with the job.

How doable is it on a scale to 1 to 10 ?

Attached: fbf.png (250x250, 78K)

function superSize(num) {
return Number(num.toString().split("").sort((a,b) => b - a).reduce((a,b) => a + b))
}

alright then
const superSize = (num) => Number(num.toString().split("").sort((a,b) => b - a).reduce((a,b) => a + b))

const superSize = (num) => Number(num.toString().split("").sort((a,b) => b - a).join())

2 weeks? easy.

I have to build a complete website in 2 days, in unfamiliar territory, with a template engine I've never seen before. You're much better off than I am.

i feel like it shouldn't be too difficult to go straight into web dev as freelance with no work experience, as long as you have a portfolio proving you know what you're doing. am i being idealistic? will people care if i am fresh out of university with no real experience?

Well having a website with testimonials and a real portfolio of client work is always going to be better than just showing off your to-do list and weather app. With that said it's not impossible to snag freelance jobs especially online if you use freelance websites that help find you work. Personally if I'm new I would learn wordpress, buy the elementor pro plugin and just sell clients pre-made templates with their content replacing the template dummy content and use elemetor to drag and drop bullshit components on the site. While you're doing this you can practice your real web dev skills, maybe actually get a real job and use the fact that you have freelance experience as a way to get noticed from all the other jrs.

>I would learn wordpress, buy the elementor pro plugin and just sell clients pre-made templates with their content replacing the template dummy content and use elemetor to drag and drop bullshit components on the site
sounds soul crushing tbqh. i need to do my own thing or i will go postal. i could get a real job as a java codemonkey but i don't want to end up stuck in some fag "open office" silicon valley hand me down ideology skinner box. web dev seems like the most in-demand area of coding and the easiest to weasel my way into freelancing.

i feel lonely learning to web dev. what do i do?

How do you choose between MySQL, postgres, and sqlite??

just dick around for a few hours

No because they have a freelance sub with some good info.

sqlite for offline applications or things that dont require many writes
Postgres for anything else
For cloudatabases noSQL ones either MongoDB or Firestore if you are rich

Thats all you need

Been pretty busy over the past month or two, but found a couple hours a short while ago to work on Maniwani, mostly on some bugfixes and some minor performance boosts. The rampant HTTP 500s on Futatsu that were due to gevent not properly cleaning up database connections should be fixed now, and the gevent worker pool-based code is now purely sequential again, but backed by subqueries (the way it should have been originally, if I'm honest).
It's not immediately obvious in pic related, but Maniwani now outputs media/thumbnail links directly to S3/the CDN instead of outputting an URL that hits the app server before redirecting, so Maniwani installations that are CDN-backed like Futatsu should see a nice little page load time boost.
Next up on my personal todo list is extending the caching system to save fully-rendered pages wherever possible - page rendering with Jinja is currently taking up the lion's share of response time - and migrating the Jinja templates to a universal React setup, though the latter will likely take a while.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-14 Maniwani - A test thread(2).png (1870x971, 331K)

I'm a complete retard and know nothing, can I get some help?
I need a local html page to get text from a local txt file on load, place it as an object, and change the font color. Last part is what I'm failing to achieve.

what are good reasons to use noSQL? almost all resources i have found on the net seem to say that noSQL is just a meme.

These days do you also have to be a graphic designer to be able to sell yourself as a front end dev?

might help a little bit, but its not necessary

any specific reason it needs to be an object? otherwise use ajax to import it into your page and then you can style it however you want

/*NoSQL databases - DynamoDB*/
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1095&v=HaEPXoXVf2k

tl;dr non relational databases

what?

It feels sad that we won't have Scythian songs bros, Mongolian bros help though, but fuck, we'll never hear them sing.

youtube.com/watch?v=TsgKnb1E8jA

Pay no attention, its a guys custom imageboard where he makes zero progress for months while the rest of us have shat out a dozen complete projects

This still looks too understandable and maintainable for a codewars answer.
probably not really possible if you load it like that and also access the content.
Either request it via an http server or use a file input element to load it.