Librem 5

>Librem 5
You buy it?

Attached: Librem-5-Linux-smartphone.jpg (800x450, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
puri.sm/products/librem-5/
puri.sm/posts/purisms-librem-5-progress-in-videos/
puri.sm/posts/tag/phones/
source.puri.sm/Librem5/dvk-mx8m-bsb
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I have preordered and am quite excited.
inb4 paid fud shills

It will be DOA like all other alternative phone attempts

does this have apps

Yeah same here. I just hope the fucking neckbeards on the forums just shut the hell up and let them design effective functional hardware instead of mandating screen ratios and sizes before the final boards are developed.

I bought the Ubuntu phone, not falling for it again

It runs a fully fledged GNU distro.
Ships with PureOS, but you should be able to install any distro you wish (especially Debian based ones (but we're all pulling for the GuixSD people to pick it up too)).
It's what the smartphone should have been (a real general computer in a handheld touchscreen).

shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
puri.sm/products/librem-5/
puri.sm/posts/purisms-librem-5-progress-in-videos/
puri.sm/posts/tag/phones/

If I need to buy a new phone, I will get one. But I want a KDE phone.

Attached: 1543370063026.png (1277x1281, 214K)

Can it run crysis?

>GNU distro.

Attached: 1548120665546.jpg (300x260, 14K)

Unfortunately without Android or iOS, I can't get free phone service via FreedomPop so I have to pass. I do run de-Googled Android though on my V20 (only other flagship phone with a replaceable battery).

No, I'm not going to give up the modern functionality of my phone so I can annoy my coworkers about how I'm running a linux distro on my phone. Then get laughed at when something inevitably goes wrong

No
They're already starting to prep their pre-orders for the incoming abortion, $600 for a phone with 2012-2014 tier specs and a horrible user experience

This will be dead on arrival like all the other alt phones

I would if it weren't so expensive. $650 for a preorder is too much. Max I would pay is $350-$400.

looks like `dead on arrival' was the main theme of this week's shill meeting

Someone on IRC brought up an interesting thing.
If they really release all the specs as they've promised, will cheap 3rd party knockoffs pop up?

yep you're gonna have to stick to pushing this piece of hipster trash with such thought provoking discussion prompts as "You buy it?????" on Reddit where it belongs I guess
let's hope, way better for us and Purism gets what they deserve for this idiotic shilling campaign.

If Linux isn't ready for the desktop, wtf would you bother running it on a consumer oriented smartphone?

Would you really trust a /csg/ Purism knockoff though?

it's all going to come from the same exact place, one will just have some bay area kikes' "guarantee of Freedom(TM)" with $300 gratuity

>fake security overpriced shit
No thanks.

Attached: 3179_full.jpg (131x270, 10K)

Is that really true though when the Bay Area kikes are the ones that will be flashing the software?

At least with them, the chinks are only providing the hardware

I'll buy a used one for cheap as fuck when it fails just to dick around with.

>Speakers: At least one
Get back to me when they actually have a working model

This.
Use ur chinkphone as long as it works.
And after five years they will either close their company/phone department or have an updared cheaper version.
Don’t fall for beta test memes.

that's an alright point, but at the same time, is the whole purpose of this phone not in the hardware? if it's a 1:1 clone you could probably reflash it yourself with the official image.

Will there be an image released? I was under the impression PurismOS would be kept private

not sure but that sounds like a shitty thing to do if that's true, this is supposed to be a free as in freedom phone which should extend to all of the software as well, otherwise this crap has even less of a reason to exist...

They've published the manufacturing files for the devkit. Not sure what that means for the final product. I recall thinking they were going to delay the files a few months after release, but I am not sure where or if I heard that.

source.puri.sm/Librem5/dvk-mx8m-bsb

Attached: lain.jpg (1280x720, 114K)

>I was under the impression PurismOS would be kept private
u wot
it's literally one of the fsf endorsed distros
one of very few

>$650
>768x1366
>32GB

Attached: 1531121914158.jpg (361x437, 48K)

>GNOME
into the trash it goes

Attached: 1553082108043.png (1024x768, 243K)

just flash Lineage onto your phone

no, never

It's vaporware, it will never be released

>Just let Pajeets be the true masters of your data, bro!
K

Is Lineage still tied into the botnet?

quick rundown?

OH NO NO NO NO

Attached: Purism Librem 5 development kit demo-2IiTru7ICEU.webm (1280x720, 2.8M)

Looks fine to me. Get the hardware acceleration going and refine the UI a bit more and it'll be good to hit the market.

>OH NO NO NO NO
As in `wow it's actually working and all the hate is unwarranted and bogus'?
All the consumer cellphone general people complaining that it doesn't have modern flagship stats should know they aren't the ones being catered to and their opinions don't matter at all to those of us interested in this.
I haven't had a phone since the Snowden leaks. Even if this lags technologically by 5 years, it's still going to be better than what I had back then.
And that's a small price to pay. But more importantly, it doesn't matter at all in the face of freedom and privacy.
Plus the fact that I might be able to install normal stock Debian or GuixSD on this thing makes it way more interesting than anything of this form factor that currently exists.

/thread

They're full of shit or don't have the first clue of what they're talking about. What botnet when it's open source and doesn't come with gapps?

I'd like to have one, but it's just too expensive for me. Guess I'll get a PinePhone or something like that instead.

>Typical_pajeet_rom_from_XDA

The PinePhone is less expensive and seems to at least try to go for open source stuff too, so I'll check that out instead

Attached: pine64_pinephone_prelim2.jpg (1000x826, 156K)

I'll think about it, i like the idea but if the OS is fucking slow and unresponsive i just can't deal with that.

lol
check this pinephone with less than a third of the specs

Attached: out.webm (1080x1920, 2.98M)

>First generation product isn't fully optimized while in development
As long as they share their work, things will improve. I think they are mostly keeping it in house while its in development but will release the sources once it's out.

And it's a bit absurd expecting a tiny team to compete with a multi-billion chinkcorp on price.

I want to believe that this is my next phone, but I am waiting

No maybe the pinephone

Oh shit palmOS is open now?
Nice.

No i plan on getting a pinephone.

Attached: bf6.jpg (340x527, 20K)

LuneOS isn't PalmOS, just a successor. Uses standard Linux, Qt, etc.

I kind of want to build one with a e-ink display. that would be cool.

I will if they release a

You do know most smartphones run Linux right?

Other poster almost certainly meant GNU/Linux or, as I've recently taken to calling it, the systemd OS.