Question

Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's graphics card or connect it to a pc and do any upgrades there? I want to keep using my laptop for my hobbies but the graphics card is pretty bad and was wondering if a change was possible or if I would have to buy a new laptop

Attached: laptop.png (573x430, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

prntscr.com/np1lcz
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If it's pic related, you're stuck with the Intel IGP, no way to change that. eGPUs are either very expensive, or very troublesome.
Get a desktop for real work, or spend 1,5k on a "decent" notebook.

And by decent notebook I don't mean a slim lightweight piece of shit. Get a real big, heavy notebook with decent cooling and an MXM GPU.

Pic unrelated, sorry I didn't specify

I do still have an intel graphics card though, so I guess my only option is to get a desktop. Problem is I play on a bed and it would be very troublesome to set up a desktop, monitor etc on something like that.

Say the specs then, user, I can't guess them.

Get a used mobile workstation with quadro gpu. Dell precision, 15 inch thinkpad or some fujitsu.

The cheap option is a Ryzen Vega notebook. The lazy option is a desktop and use steam streaming to your current notebook.

He is gaming, Quadro drivers aren't for that shit.

I played wither 2 on 2013 dell with 2GB quadro. It worked alright.

Sorry, my bad.

Attached: Specs.png (500x265, 13K)

We're in 2019, user.

He wrote "hobbies" in first post. I thought he wants to make something productive.

>Is it possible to upgrade a laptop's graphics card or connect it to a pc and do any upgrades there?
Yes and no. Some laptops had slotted GPU, but you have to keep in mind TDP and stuff, since it might run hotter, than it should, which will turn your PC into the MacBook.
Also some laptops will allow you to use ext. GPU.

In any case, you're better getting new laptop, since laptops usually have everything soldered in, and only things you can change are RAM and storage.

prntscr.com/np1lcz Graphics card

Almost same as mine. You can get one of those cheap eGPUs, sacrifice the Wireless card, but you also need a PSU to power the card and the data cable exposed outside the notebook.

I didn't specify hobbies, mostly looking for gaming

As somebody who owns an older workstation that is modded (And just bought a fixer-upper before this whole fucking Intel screwing the pooch thing happened) I'd be kinda hesitant about trying to match today's performance with any sort for Workstation/Barebones with an MXM gpu. Doing the math on my end, my now totally fucking useless M4800 with an RX 560 and a 4K screen/motherboard replacement would outperform some of the cheaper gaming laptops at around ~$600 give or take $50. That's assuming that said card actually is compatible with the BIOS. It's a crapshoot for most laptops if it works and you have to rely on somebody willing to shell out anywhere from $200 to $1000 (for a P5000) to see if something works, and good luck convincing most people to do that.

There are eGPU setups that use Thunderbolt 3 and ExpressCard as well, so if you have one of those ports, consider doing that or actually buying/building a fucking desktop and save your back

This.

Regarding eGPUs, there are mPCIe ones, M.2 ones, Thunderbolt (the good ones), and Express card ones. All are shit, you still have a dual core CPU for gaming, and you lose performance getting the image to the integrated display.
Get a desktop and use part of the money on a decent chair.

Gaming with a laptop in bed is a bad idea if that laptop is sitting on a comforter which could inhibit airflow. I tried using a cooling fan as well and then it just gets cumbersome. If you have a laptop table that slides under and over the bed it's ok but still at an angle.

Cont.
I am guessing by continuing gaming in bed being your hobby you should start a different thread instead of the upgrade my laptop gpu topic which should by now be much more possible but isn't. Although comfy computing isn't that popular here on Jow Forums

Haven't faced any issues like that, I think I'll be alright. Been playing on a bed for over a year, don't know how you're imagining it but probably not how it is

Yet my old brick still btfos op's lappie

You can improve integrated graphics performance a bit.
1. Go into the Intel graphics control thing and turn all the stuff to down/off/diver-defaults/performance/application. In some of them there a drop down menu kinda top-left for different sections but it looks just like text.
2. Goto sound configuration/properties control thing and set sound quality to fast. Test before and after if you don't believe, why it works idk.
3. Goto power profile (in control panel) and I forgot but read the settings, there's some for graphics if I remember correctly. More power = less battery so.
4. You can do this a little ay a time. Go thru task scheduler, services, and startups (last) and disable the bullshit. Search what stuff is. In task scheduler "customer experience..." is botnet data mining.
5. Turning windows animation stuff off might help.

>laptop graphics card
read a book lol