Why did macbook pros degenerate so much after 2015?

why did macbook pros degenerate so much after 2015?

back then they had
>magsafe
>ports usable without "dongles"
>based keyboard
>upgradable m2 ssd slot

and now they only have
>"touch bars"
>faulty by design 0.1mm travel keyboard
>"dongles"

Attached: aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubGFwdG9wbWFnLmNvbS9pbWFnZXMvdXBsb2Fkcy80NDMxL2cvYXBwbGUtbWFjYm9vay1wcm8tcmV0bmEtMjAx (775x500, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-8570W-i7-3720QM-2-6GHz-32GB-256GB-SSD-K2000M-Win10-Gaming-Laptop/173843895937
youtu.be/8cUcr-Qeajc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"Pro" users stopped buying Macs

Attached: powerbook unix ad.jpg (1976x1202, 401K)

this and only this

They're releasing a new one in June.

will that be any different from the current designs?

yep, new iteration.

Well, even the 2015 models had major issues, but yeah, it went downhill fast. I doubt I'll ever buy a mac ever again (privately). In our offices, we've got iMac's through a deal that the University got, and I don't give a shit. It's a nice big screen, and if it breaks, we buy a new one. But for my own laptop, never again. Two keys on my rMBP 13" died, and now I'm going to have to go through a several-hour long procedure to take the bloody thing apart just so I can replace the keyboard - including having to heat up glue which is used to keep the battery in place. It's a solid laptop, but it's fucking unmaintainable. Don't even get me started on the issue of pentalobe screws, because that riles me up even more...

Probably thinner at the expense of keyboard travel, ports, thermal performance, etc.

fagbooks never had m2 slots, they had proprietary slots

>it's a solid laptop
>literally falling apart
The state of mac sheep.

>proprietary slots
you mean soldered-on flash chips?

They used to have proprietary SSD slots, but it wasn't proprietary or profitable enough.

Pre-retina use normal SATA drives. Only an idiot would buy a retina macbook anyways since nothing scales good.

I wouldn't call it 'falling apart' if two keys die - after 4 years or pretty much daily use, including typing a fucking PhD thesis on it. It's still the best laptop I've ever owned, but I doubt it's worth the hassle, seeing as the newer models are getting shittier by the year.
Also, I hardly would consider myself a mac sheep if one out of 6 laptops I've ever owned is a mac, and it's still the only mac product I've ever bought. Probably the last as well.

let's hope not user.

Let's hope so mactoddler, your tears are delicious.

Knowing Apple they'll stuff an i9 into there only to have it throttle at 800MHz the entire time.

Attached: rMBP.jpg (988x802, 190K)

My buddy has a 15 inch MBP with the 1680x1050 screen and it looks pretty fantastic.

1680x1050 at 15 inches isn't a "retina" display

what tears?

>>upgradable m2 ssd slot
they used a proprietary apple thingy

Only an idiot would buy a macbook anyways
fixed

Attached: 30558-50218-190410-Bouman-l.jpg (660x431, 82K)

case in point

Attached: ThinkpadVsMacbook.jpg (1237x1021, 448K)

At work I have a 2015 Macbook Pro. The lease on the hardware ends in June.

I got issued a 2018 mbp last year but it's sat on my desk. I'm being forced to upgrade in two week. Want to off myself. I hate that new shitty keyboard and I HATE having carry dongles everywhere.

Why would someone buy a business grade laptop themselves? What a waste. Business grade laptops are supposed to be bought by businesses at bulk discount.

The irony here is that most people working at JPL, Goddard, and Johnson use macs.

2012 last easily serviceable/upgradable. 2015 last good keyboard. Apple has always been shit at making hardware and gaslights it's users. The iMacs are okay if you think of them as a screen with a laptop permanently attached. Still wouldn't consider or recommend a glossy screen for any serious graphics work, matte all the way.

FPBP /thread

Apple stopped caring about performance for Unix workloads, and then stopped caring about performance for anything at all on Macs. Even the megacorps are starting to pivot to Linux.

Gotta love the $700 for 512 gb price.

think different

They used to combine form and function into something that you really couldn't get anywhere else: a sleek, lightweight, powerful laptop that could meet a lot of needs quite easily.

Now, they sacrifice function in the name of form, which means that there's no real reason to use one aside from its legacy. These days, if you want an ultra-sleek, ultra-portable, powerful laptop, you'd be better served with something like the HP Spectre.

Mostly because they hold up well over time. You pay a premium to buy new, but even thinkpads/old elitebooks/etc that are a couple of years old can be had for well under 500 bucks, even very powerful ones, and you can expect great durability/performance for the price point.

Apple really lost their way after Jobs died. Every single design post his death was a fuck up aesthetically and functionally. However they fixed how the pen charges, they've apologized for the keyboard issues, acknowledged the Mac Pro fuckup. Now that iPhone is no longer a cash cow I think they will sit down and think hard about the next MacBook Pro. At least I hope.

Attached: 20190502_171429.jpg (3060x1960, 3.36M)

When was Fagbook even a standard?

15+ years ago.

Attached: rim_apple.jpg (306x298, 20K)

Future classic. Tell him to take care of it.

have sex manchild

Apple painted themselves into a corner with the iPhone. They sacrificed functionality for form (I'm noticing a pattern), and they can't go back without looking regressive. Simultaneously, there's no real way for them to move forward in any significant way. I mean, sure, they could replace OLED with MicroLED when costs come down enough. They could also put the notch under the screen eventually. And I'm sure they will keep improving the camera (although I genuinely don't know why, as most people don't use cameras that much unless it's with an instagram filter, and we've already hit the point of diminished returns). But there's no way for them to "revolutionize" the form anymore, which really sucks, considering how poor the functionality is in comparison to the home button.

Phones in general are hitting a wall. Seems like the only real innovation path is the camera on flagship phones. I don't think anyone would complain about them being "regressive" at this point.

I'm looking for one to buy now and that's a bit exaggerated.

Not really. Proof: ebay.com/itm/HP-EliteBook-8570W-i7-3720QM-2-6GHz-32GB-256GB-SSD-K2000M-Win10-Gaming-Laptop/173843895937

>I don't think anyone would complain about them being "regressive" at this point.
I know I wouldn't. I have an iPhone 8 (because iOS users can't be assed to install Signal, wheras none of my friends or family with Android have a problem making Signal their default messenger), and I have no plans to upgrade so long as the home button is gone. It's impossible to use all the gestures one-handed.

Brainlet

Newer ThinkPads probably cannot handle those, and NASA has sent ZBook 15 G3s to ISS to replace the ThinkPads.

iTODDLERS

B
T
F
O

Attached: 1557267652585.gif (500x491, 376K)

Бaceд aнд peдпиллeд

This guy showed the older MacBooks benchmark higher than the equivalent Thinkpad with the exact same processor.

youtu.be/8cUcr-Qeajc

What were they actually thinking ditching the Mac Pro tower? It looks way cooler than the trash can AND it's much more practical.

I just mean you shouldn't buy then new. Businesses buy them, or lease them, new in bulk at better prices. Buying one for personal use new is just silly.

Yeah. Imagine that. A company that only allows you to purchase their OS with their overpriced bundled hardware can optimize both to work better than if they had to make it compatible with everything.

That's not surprising, and you see the same results with iOS vs Android, where apple squeezes more out of less than an OS that doesn't optimize.

I'm not gonna watch the video, because I can already tell that they aren't using the same OS on both machines, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

>a fucking PhD thesis
Gender studies are not a valid academic endeavor.

>so it’s not an apples to apples comparison
Duh, it’s an apples to windows laptops comparison

The towers are very dust prone, since the entire front end is grill and the intake fans are set inches within. Weight/environmental impact might be another, they're 45 pounds of aluminum and computer. The towers are also easily dented or scratched in a work environment. But they could've improved on that, the trash can was and is a short sighted design/disaster.

So what would you buy if you had to buy new? Modern macbooks are ridiculously expensive and shit. Dells have worst qc issue that they refuse to fix in years. Asus and acer are cheap chink shit.

>What were they actually thinking ditching the Mac Pro tower? It looks way cooler than the trash can AND it's much more practical.
Tim Cuck hates computers and people that use computers. Realistically going X86 was the end of their pro customers, intel don't offer custom CPUs, so any mac pro is doomed have the same specs as every cheaper dell workstation. Intel also charges absurd amounts for any CPU with multisocket support, IBM don't really care what you do with the CPU they just charge production costs + their profit margin. With PowerPC it was feasible for them to have dual cpu machines with high clock speeds at a lower price than X86. On x86 you had to pay the ridiculous intel dual socket tax and climb through 10 different clock speeds before you get to the outrageously priced 2P CPU with decent clock speeds for workstation tasks.

they are actually pretty shit and space inefficient for what they are considering they use a proprietary motherboard

Attached: 8EB32C97-AFC1-425C-BAED-21CE54D116E4.jpg (1000x564, 201K)

>keys fall off
>'not falling apart'
Definite brainlet

>Jow Forums loves proprietary chargers that caught fire now and constantly posted pics of it

lmao you dumb fucks don't know what you want

Works on my machine ;^)

IBM promised 3GHz with the PowerPC and it never happened. They got 2.7GHz with factory water cooling. The dual Intel Xeon Mac Pro had replaced it with a cheaper price as well.

Not sure if that's a PPC tower but those IBM chips ran hot as FUCK, so a lot of the space is taken up by the fuckheug cooler and shroud

It's intel
G5's are even worse

I used to work for a contract IT company, and we had a client that had like 5 G5 machines that "stopped working" all of a sudden. Turns out that all the water coolers had been leaking for what seemed like years.

I like the design of the box but fuck man the shit apple put inside of it was total ass.

I feel like the water cooled edition was a last ditch effort by IBM. The rest I haven't heard of any reliability issues.

Attached: 20190424_204600.jpg (4032x1960, 2.41M)

Cope harder neet

Why don't they just release a kino 17" thicker pro model with much better thermals? Pro is pro, their average consumer won't buy a macbook pro anyway. Just why? Who the fuck calls themselves a pro but looks for ultra thinness on a fucking pro laptop???

This. Phones are dead end at this point, unless foldable phones are actually usable rather than being a showcase tool. Bigger phones are not practical and there is no point in making them big, they are just supposed to be a tool that you can communicate and use with one hand and that's it. Only good iteration for the current phones would be a new type of battery that will make phones last much much longer at current form factor. But such battery would not just be an invention for phones, but rather be a huge advancement in every portable technology (laptops, cameras, wireless gadgets, ANYTHING portable that you can imagine).

Only custom Ryzen can save them for x86 environment at this point. Intel is hopeless and full of exploits.

It was all downhill after Tim Faggot took over.

I got a discounted MBP in 2015. It still works like a charm and I’ve never had any issue with it. The charging cable has seen better days, though.

I'm hoping Apple gives up and goes back to the old design before my current late-2013 bites the dust. This machine still feels fast and modern, I'd buy a newly-manufactured one if available with a new battery.

Apple can release 2013 macbook pro with modern specs and a newer display and it will be the best laptop on the market.

>why did macbook pros degenerate so much after 2015?
Try 2013

2015 trackpad is comfy though