Okay, so I've reached an acceptable state regarding "how to use linux" (i.e I know about mesa, pulseaudio, pcmanfm, wm...

Okay, so I've reached an acceptable state regarding "how to use linux" (i.e I know about mesa, pulseaudio, pcmanfm, wm, that DE's are shit, how to undecorate a terminal, etcetc) and now I simply have no fucking idea what to do next. I'm literally looking at my monitor right now thinking "The distro is complete and there's literally nothing else to do".
So what am I supposed to do now? "Rice" my desktop until my arse starts bleeding?

Attached: giphy.gif (426x213, 1.69M)

Other urls found in this thread:

slackbook.org/html/package-management.html#PACKAGE-MANAGEMENT-OVERVIEW
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Rice it to a point that Reddit will explode

Why are DEs shit

WTF do you do after installing Windows?

pray to bill gates

This is partially the issue with Linux and Linux adoption. I have never meant somebody outside of the administrative profession who used Linux for anything other than hobby programming and ricing.

This is the question.

Just use it like you do your normal computer. If your answer was download steam and play games well then you picked the wrong OS senpai.

>If your answer was download steam and play games well then you picked the wrong OS senpai.
Most steam games work perfectly fine to be honest, famalam.

No they don't. A handful of people are lucky to have their drivers all working properly and in conjunction with one another by far and wide the inconsistencies in drivers, hardware, and developers of games don't often work out. Across 4 different builds using various components the last 5 years I have had some luck running small indie games and old triple A titles on my Linux installs but not once have I been successful in playing a triple A title that wasn't listed as Linux compatible. Which is a LOT of them.

>last 5 years
Opinion immediately discarded, crawl out of your cave and read some news every once in a while

Take the final redpill on linux. Realize that you use computers for the software and not the OS. Then switch to windows which actually has the software you need to get work done.

>Realize that you use computers for the software
I use GNU/Linux for the free as in freedom software, user.

Lol. It's always the retards that used linux years ago and don't read any tech news that spout this garbage. Kill yourself faggot

Video games aren't work. Making pepe memes in pirated photoshop isn't work.

Not that user but,

Do gaymes actually work well at high refresh rate with Nvidia GPUs on loonix now? It's been a while since I've looked into running it on my home tower .

Why would high refresh rate not work? Pick a game, enable steam play for it, and choose the later proton release. That's it

Way back in the day I had a bug, or maybe I was just retarded, where I couldn't get my monitor to run over 90hz

I wouldn't know anything about that since my monitors are 60 Hz. Only one way to find out but I haven't heard complaints from anyone else about it

>So what am I supposed to do now?
Use your fucking computer to work? Why the fuck do you have a computer if it's not to use it?

Speak to a therapist about your autism

Because DE's are bloat and does not add in anything. Pretty sure I heard that DE's can also add more security holes and other shit I didn't bothered reading.
Edit videos, browse, chat. I know that you can (also) do all that on Linux -- but what I'm talking here is what I can do with Linux as a whole. i.e the distro itself.
>I have never meant somebody outside of the administrative profession who used Linux for anything other than hobby programming and ricing.
well, fuck

if you're still there user, I've had 144hz running fine with nvidia

grep, awk, sed, and bash

>I can install Arch with a tiling WM so I know how to use Linux
Ahahahahahahaha

get a good GPU, download lutris, wine 4.8 protonified, feral game mode and enable esync and dx11 and enjoy games u nigger

>grep
I know how to remove words out of a specific command with it -- and to use it to search for a specific word/file/whatever. Which seems good enough.
>awk
>"Or you could try programming something!"
Like what? A new browser for Jow Forums? Nah.
>sed
That's... interesting. I'll dig on it for a bit.
>bash
I'd rather use zsh. Much more lightweight and KISS compared to bash imho.

Constantly work to fix all the shit that breaks. Don't bother sending bug reports to microsoft because everything is broken and just has to be worked around.

Play games and get work done, but I'm asking for things that are actually possible to do on Linux

I dunno man, works on my PC

Attached: 2019-05-16-153303_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 2.34M)

Protondbs statistics are looking way better than what you are describing...

i think that you've made a mistake, what you're referring to as "linux" is in fact gnu/linux or gnu+linux, linux by itself is just a kernel, a program which allocates the machines resources to the system, while it's a useful part of a complete operating system it's useless by itself, there really is a linux and you're using it but it's just a part of the entire operating system GNU with Linux added as the kernel therefore it is GNU+Linux or GNU/Linux

That's like saying NES should be called Nintendo Entertainment System instead of only NES. Nah, I'll keep calling it Linux instead of Gays Niggers United/Loonix.

>using slackware in 2019

Arch user detected. Bask in my kawaii, stable glory.

Attached: 2019-05-12-213131_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 608K)

I'm a Debian user. But at least arch has a real package manager with dependency management.

>But at least arch has a real package manager with dependency management.
Stop spouting myths you read online and actually check your facts.
slackbook.org/html/package-management.html#PACKAGE-MANAGEMENT-OVERVIEW
Also, the lack of forced dependency resolution is the POINT. Key word, forced. You can have dependency resolution if you want by automating build scripts, which is the most UNIX like way to manage packages.

Attached: b1bfcf5b5d8c9383a306fce21672d85c31aefa19d9bff6d478adb77f70802c46.jpg (648x677, 122K)

It's not a myth, that page literally says that slackware has no dependency checking. I never said that slackware doesn't have a package manager, I said it doesn't have a real package manager that manages dependencies.
When your distro is even worse at dependency management than Windows, you know it sucks.

Use it as an os, retard.
The point isn’t to rice your desktop, it’s to have an OS that’s fast, reliable and free (as in freedom).

>When your distro is even worse at dependency management than Windows, you know it sucks.
Not having automatic dependency resolution is a blessing, not a curs. If you believe otherwise, you haven't been using Linux long enough. I'd rather use build script to automate package installs, and view logs in plaintext then have apt shit the bed every week.

Read a book. Go to the gym. Talk to a girl. Find a job. Take on a hobby.

use the computer as a computer
write some software, draw a picture, browse the internet, do your taxes, watch some movies, emulate a videogame maybe
whatever the fuck

If you can't think of anything, why even have a computer?

this

>apt shit the bed every week
No decent package manager does this ever. I guess aptitude might be shit, but no one else has these problems.

>No decent package manager does this ever. I guess aptitude might be shit, but no one else has these problems.
Broken packages is a regular occurrence with apt. Don't give me that shit boy.

>I guess aptitude might be shit, but no one else has these problems

Fuck, meant for

Install i3

>install some autistic shit nobody cares about
see

>Because DE's are bloat and does not add in anything.
except gnome making my life easier with a fucking overview instead of autistically switching workspaces and windows to find something.

>except gnome making my life easier with a fucking overview instead of autistically switching workspaces and windows to find something.
My window manager does this just fine, thank you very much.

Attached: memearrowgnome.png (525x237, 38K)

>11 editors

Why is this thread not locked?
Autism is not technology.

You apparently have still to grow out of the pseudominimalist phase, no wonder you don't know what to do.
This post summaries cat-v perfextly, except swap Linux with 9front.

What wm is this?

WindowMaker

have fun getting eye cancer, I don't need to stress myself over using my fucking windows.
Gnome mirai zura

Is your virtualization stack perfect? Do you have win7 running in a kvm-qemu machine w/ PCIE passthrough? Is your firewall a slaved pfsense instance? Have you forsaken libvirtio? Have you plugged all the huge security holes in X and ended up w/ a working windowed environment?

>needing to have sticky notes to maintain your system
wew, nice full time job you got there neet

dude, you are installing pkgs individually. you can do that just fine downloading the package in debian and installing it with dpkg. lmao what a loser

Imagine unironically believing doing more work for no reason is better.
You aren't fooling anyone, zoomer.

Can you read? apt specifically is shit. But luckily, there are good package managers out there which will do a far better job than you ever will manually.

Find a problem with your set-up (unsupported filesystem, inefficiency in thread handling etc) and hack on it.

What do you mean by "undecorate a terminal?"

JUST

compute some stuff