/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

!!! Serious Intel CPU MDS vulnerability, upgrade your kernel !!!
linuxreviews.org/intel-mds-patches

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: flgl-upgrade-your-kernel-NOW.jpg (1400x911, 376K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/helmuthdu/aui
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Puppy Linux and squashfs in general.

timely reminder to patch now lads.

if (strstr(vendor, "GenuineIntel") != NULL) { exit(0); };

there ya go. patched.

cat /proc/cpuinfo
bugs: cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf mds

The bugs are starting to add up, aren't they?

Attached: kernel-5.1.2-on-intel.jpg (1920x983, 518K)

>Intel i5-2500K
It has served me well for so long, I'm sad to see it getting crippled.

Attached: uoJ12U6j_o.jpg (1372x2048, 573K)

Get rid of your yellow fever, faggots.

never thought that amd had finewine on CPUs too.

anyone here using cmus? how do you correctly add cuesheets to your library?
suppose a directory layout like this:
~/music/Artist1 - Album1/Album1.flac
~/music/Artist1 - Album1/Album1.cue
i enter the file browser view (5) and navigate to ~/music/
now when i highlight the only folder in there and press a (to add to the library), it adds both the whole flac file, but also adds each track separately based on the cue file (at the same time)
so basically if the album consists of 10 tracks and lasts for 60 minutes total, then after adding the directory to the library, the total library play time is increased by 60*2 minutes, and the total track count increments by 10 + 1
how do i make it so that only the separate tracks from the cue file make it to the music library?
if i enter the Album1 directory with the file browser, it only lists the .flac file there and the .cue is invisible

Ubuntu minimal install or Arch?

how

Alright for a bit of fun but no breeding, eh?

is there a dash/toolbar icon thing for thunderbird feeds for gnome?

Fap to whatever you usually do, then at the point of no return switch the image to an unmarried, virgin, aryan woman in the missionary position.

I'm considering installing Gentoo, mostly inspired by a deeper curiosity over how the OS works. I'm reasonably comfortable with software development, the command line and the system internals of GNU/Linux. I'm most familiar with Debian/*buntu distros.

My main concerns are:

* What are the benefits as opposed to Void or Debian?
* Can one reach a level of daily-driver usability matching that of Ubuntu?

I mostly use my system for browsing, development and listening to music. A stretch goal might be to install Proton for Steam.

Honestly, you don't learn that much by installing Gentoo beyond how to be patient while it compiles software. My recommendation, if you really want to try Gentoo, is to do it in a QEMU VM. Actually installing Gentoo involves waiting a weekend or even a week for compilation before you have a working system with X and a browser and things like that.

And you quite frankly do not learn that much about the bare metal by installing Gentoo anyway, It's not like you have to ./configure --options=whatever and make, you just type emerge packagename and wait. It's just like dnf install package or apt install package except it takes longer.

And Gentoo's not very actively developed these days.

If you really want to try a OS which is source-based then try Guix. It's easier to install and use and though there are pre-compiled packages you can install them yourself.

Attached: guix.jpg (2572x1621, 839K)

insdall geegs

Attached: 1502046931769.jpg (418x248, 17K)

Here's the real kicker: The Microarchitectural Data Sampling mitigation code is only effective when SMT/Hyperthreading is disabled.

>lying to newfags to make them install your distro of choice

Attached: .jpg (500x620, 91K)

Im trying to setup a server for Universal Media Server for streaming to different devices but the problem is that I can't run any .jar files. Im using Ubuntu 16.04 and have installed Oracle JDK 9 but even when running the .jar file in a terminal nothing happens but I did get an error earlier saying something about Oracle Java Virtual Machine. I've tried finding a way to install it but every source I can find says the package is missing. Is there any solution to running .jar files in Ubuntu/Debian?

apt-get install openjdk-9-jdk

I'm not sure why you would want to use Oracle's flavor and I never tried that. With openjdk you'd just run java -jar myprogram.jar

I did try that before but I just get Error: Unable to access jarfile ums.jar

How do i stop firefosx from raping my system resources with 3 god damn tabs open after 10 minutes?

bump

Does it need to be executable?
Chmod +x ums.jar

Well in Nautilus I did check it as executable and even running open jdk 9 nothing works.

Newfag here, only switched to Linux a close to a year ago. Been using Ubuntu this entire while and i dont care what any body says i like it. But im getting curious about what else is out there. Whats a good distro to try out for an beginner/intermediate level user, i'd prefer something that gives me access to bleeding edge software and also doesn't try to ram my asshole when i try to install NVIDIA drivers.
Should i go with Manjaro or Fedora? Other suggestions welcome.
>inb4 if youre not using Gentoo from the get go youre literally using bloated malware

please no memes, im looking for serious suggestions lads

I'll take a look at Guix, thanks user.

How do you get the daily latest version of blender 2.8 on arch? Devs update blender everyday but arch only has 2.79. I've been manually downloading 2.8 it every few weeks like a brainlet but this is what arch is supposed to be good at right?

void. very easy to use, but no system d is a big change. plus you can do lots of tinkering with xbps.

Running minidlna on ubuntu but whenever I try accessing the server from a compatible device none of the folders show any content. Any solutions?

Are you running it as a service? If so youll have minidlna running as its own user and your media under your user.

So you'll either have to run minidlna as you, or give the proper permissions for minidlna to access your media. Usually adding thr minidlna user to your group is the easiest way.

did you rescan the shared folders after setting it up? I have an alias for mine to do so whenever I change something

alias superminidlna='/etc/init.d/minidlna stop && minidlnad -R && /etc/init.d/minidlna start'

It's just currently running but I made my music,video,and pictures folders shareable through nautilus. I also went to var/lib/minidlna and tried making it shareable in nautilus but only got " Could not change the permissions of folder "minidlna". So not sure if I addeded it to a group.

Is there a better alternative to Openbox? It's pretty heavy for a WM and XML is pure AIDS.

Attached: byakuren holding kogasa.jpg (1377x1040, 511K)

yes, other window management software exists

How do I add simultaneous microphone input to my mpd html output?

Fluxbox doesn't use xml and is like openbox. However, if you think openbox is heavy you have brain problems.

I downloaded Kdenlive video editor for Linux Mint from the software center, but it is not the latest version. How do I update the software?

Who should be the owner of my mounted non-removable hard drives? By default it's root, but then I have to change the permissions and make them writable to everyone. Is it smart to just change ownership to my user or usergroup? I'm asking in case there is some interference or something. Pic unrelated.

Attached: pwo8hpi7lks21.jpg (1000x1000, 170K)

>I'm asking in case there is some interference or something.
Interference?

I don't understand what you think is going to happen, but you can do whatever you want with the permissions on your drives.

github.com/helmuthdu/aui
Using virtualbox; am I missing something when the system wont go past "Booting..." after installing the base system using this script? I've installed Arch before following the wiki.

Which version of linux is most friendly for old people?

My grandad just got internet and wants me to get him connected up but his laptop which has windows 7 on it is old and painfully slow so I'm just going to wipe it and install Linux so he can browse the net safely and also not get tricked by any Indians from Microsoft that phone him to fix viruses etc.

I was thinking Lubuntu which I use on a laptop.

Attached: 1557164071837.jpg (960x960, 77K)

Linux Torvalds

Debian with LXQt.

install gentoo

is /fglt/ confirmed for based kpop posting now?

>sudo reboot
>error: couldn't talk to the init daemon
thanks systemd

Xubuntu
Debian stable with XFCE

GNU/Linux
Xfce

Is there any arch based distro worth using instead of arch?

Attached: 1458335621575.png (1920x1080, 98K)

Parabola

don't fuck up your grandad's computer, freetard

no use arch only u nigger

XfCe

sorry for guetto ass picture, but is CloverOS broken ? Latest iso gives me this, tried on 3 different usb's, bios and UEFI, on my desktop and laptop, always gives me these errors
anyone got a clue (or an older working version of the iso) ?

Attached: file.png (1152x864, 1.66M)

Archlabs seems pretty comfy to be honest.
Good installer, good default theme, friendly community, no sperg autists repeating 'muh arch way' or telling that they use arch btw.

Just use sysrescuecd.

Its the only Gentoo based bootable distro worth using.

>SystemRescueCd is not intended to be used as a permanent operating system
oops, forgot my filters

Says the guy that is too stupid to feed a broken initramfs on a broken distro the path to his usb storage.

It's a neat distro that 'just werks', but the development of it has gone into hibernation recently so dunno

He's not used it for years, he forgot his password and needed me to fix it and after fixing it I discovered it's very slow, he's now having trouble with it so thought it be best to install a nice simple safe locked down OS with a few icons for him to do basic stuff.

Idk, I'm still pretty much a n00b desu. I was wondering what are the best practices in this case.

Parabola if you're more on the edge side, Manjaro if you're more of a beginner.

They are just taking some time off, apparently.
It's a rolling release after all, just install and update.

help

this is what i want as a white solus end user

Attached: (eunha) one [151025] 여자친구(GFRIEND) - ONE @광주 Y'Z PARK공연 '은하'직� (608x1080, 2.54M)

thanks for the help trip, i'm glad i forgot my filters

So I installed packet tracer and it works on cinnamon but not on KDE. The error it's giving is a segmentation fault, if running through command line. However when using the shortcut icon it seems to just freeze up the menu bar of kde entirely so I can't even check the error message. Any suggestions?

Whivh reasons are there to install Fedora?

How would i watermark a picture hosted on an http server dynamically upon the user accessing the image?

So i put a folder in /srv/http/images with 10 images.
Then some script front end takes the image and does an imagemagick command to it and then serves it to the user

it works pretty well. What reasons are there to install any distro, they all do basically the same thing.

It's the best distro for GUHNOME and Sway
You can get pretty much anything the average person could ever want from the default repos + RPMfusion
Popular enough that you can easily find the answer for your problems
You could use Silverblue if you want an OS that literally cannot break

>GUHNOME
Are you retarded?

Would do that with PHP personally.

Stop shitting up images.

what do if I installed a program through the package manager, but there are newer stable builds available online? do I first remove/purge the version installed through package manager or simply download the new build and install it on top?

how do you guys launch wine programs on dwm?

When will the first LTS 5.0 kernel be released?

>go to local microcenter to get used thinkpad
>get a crazy deal on the scratch and dent floor model of "winbook CW140" (aka chinkbook 9000 with decent specs)

Laptop works like a dream once I get Linux running on it, however for whatever fucking reason I can only get the touchscreen to work on ubuntu 18 LTS.

I've tried:
Fedora (works no touchscreen)
Ubuntu 19 (works no touchscreen)

Debian + KDE Neon + X/Kubuntu wont even boot

Weirdly enough, if I try and install any other DE (even Vanilla GNOME) on Ubuntu 18, the touchscreen just stops working. I use Debian on all my other machines and I really just want vanilla gnome. Ideally I want to get Debian +GNOME working on it.

where the fuck do i start with this shit, i just want to find what touchscreen driver is being used

Attached: stock-photo-man-eating-sandwich-10927630.jpg (450x320, 29K)

The 1st one. You don't want your package manager still thinking it has it installed.

just write a shell script with the arguments used and put in your $path or whatever

Linux?

Yeah, any idea when the first 5.x LTS will be released or do we not have any idea when it'll come?

i'm using a gtx 1060 but i wonder if i should upgrade to a radeon 590 on linux for better vulkan performance
tell me

why is
>[drm] RC6 on
holding up my kernel for 30s while booting? Even if i disable rc6 it takes just as long

Ill do what ever the fuck i want to do with my images faggot.

>cp - copy a file
>dd - copy a file
whats the difference

Attached: DpIA3MuW0AEGEaR.jpg (1200x893, 164K)

one can fuck your ass up, the other is just cp

then read kernel documentation. gentoo does not make you learn anything important

retard, just use something like fedora it's easy as shit to build rpms and will be more useful

>at this moment i'm euphoric

copy vs DICKDUSTER

>Gentoo's not very actively developed these days.
Are there any good reasons to think this?

Install blender-git from the aur, the arch repos are actually kind of slow, the aur is archs big advantage

lspci -v, or lsmod

It is just my opinion (not a commonly accepted fact) and here's why: I actually used Gentoo as my desktop system something like 2003-2015. It used to have ebuilds for new version of softwarez hours or a day after some new version of the softwarez was released. Updates became increasingly slower as time went on.

I haven't used it as a daily OS for some time but I have the Gentoo in a VM so I can plainly see that a lot of packages have _masked_ ebuilds for versions prior to those included in Ubuntu and Fedora. I can also plainly see that development of a lot of core packages like gentoolkit, genkernel and so on haven't been updated for years and years and are held together by glue and duck-tape.

If Gentoo works for you then great, enjoy. I just can't in good faith recommend it to anyone, not as a desktop OS anyway. As a curiosity in a VM.. sure, it's fine to use as a toy.

Attached: gentoo.jpg (1932x1092, 562K)

gentoolkit was updated on Saturday, and genkernel last month.

What is an example of a package that's out of date in the Gentoo repo?

how the FUCK do I get networkmananager to work on gentoo?

Attached: 1557411998190.png (1071x479, 201K)

How many % of Linux users are programmers?

sup lads, im scripting something and need to determine if the machine is a laptop. any simple one-liner to do this? thinking about just checking for a battery but not sure if there is something better.