ReactOS

Why is it progressing at a snails pace and is there an alternative that isn't Microgay Wincuck.

Attached: reeeee.png (1200x662, 364K)

Because reverse engineering Windows is hard.
>Is there an alternative
Only Linux with Wine.

If half of the Jow Forums user base donated the price of a fucking cheeseburger shit would progress more quickly. So go toss your five bucks in the tip jar ya cheap bastard!

no contributors and no money

You are better off with Ubuntu, even though it's nothing like Windows, which is actually great. Ubuntu is getting all the fast updates and ReactOS is "just ok" in that department.

If you really are a Windows exile then try Gnome on Ubuntu then branch out to a different desktop when you are more comfy.

Attached: ubuntu1904.jpg (640x358, 24K)

OP here, I already use Fedora as a daily driver and have for years, I'm just asking because an open source Windows version without Microgay sounds incredible to me.

Not going to happen, realistically Fedora or Ubuntu is the real Linux future with fast updates and development. I'm personally not bothered if they ever become like that Microsoft effort. ReactOS won't be keeping up though, so Ubuntu or Fedora really are your best bets,

Fedora is dogshit for a workstation though. At most you could use CentOS or OpenSUSE, but Ubuntu LTS and Debian Stable are the best distros for workstations.

Why is Fedora dogshit for workstations?

t. ReactOS dev

A 9-month release cycle is OK for enthusiats and testers, but not for working. Upgrading to the next version will inevitably indtroduce bugs/regressions.
CentOS, OpenSUSE, Ubuntu LTS and Debian have several years of support, up to 7 with Debian and up to 10 with Ubuntu (that requires paying though.)
Plus, with the advent of Snap, AppImage, Flatpak and Guix it's possible to have a stable OS and still have cutting edge programs without fear of destroying your install.

Ah I see, that makes sense. Guess I'll consider giving CentOS a try as a main OS then.

I'm not sure what size team they've got and what kind of time they can devote, but rebuilding Windows XP from scratch sounds like a pretty big task.

Fingers crossed in the future there will be more contributors and hopefully things will move along faster.

It's literally just wine: the os. Just use GNU/Linux.

Sure would be nice if Microsoft would publish the NT kernel under an open source license.
Could you imagine a world where you can get different windows distributions?
I might even move back for that.

>Sure would be nice if Microsoft would publish the NT kernel under an open source license.
That would give a lot of information to attackers. BUT would be nice the windows 9.x family become public.

Because no one is interested in it, if you're not running windows and need to run windows programs there's Wine.

Ubuntu was actually recommended. Fedora... horses for courses.

Attached: ubuntu fullmoonhowl.jpg (1080x1050, 154K)

DON'T IT ONLY HAS OLD SOFTWARE

>is there an alternative that isn't Microgay Wincuck.

Yes

Attached: macintosh-logo-845F254B9A-seeklogo.com.png (273x300, 22K)

If you hate normal Windows 10 editions for consumers like me, there are only two working alternatives for you:

1. Use the only non-crappy Windows 10 distros based on NT 10 kernel:
>Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2019 (and the upcoming LTSC 2022)
>Windows Server 2019 (and the upcoming Server 2022)

2. Switch to Loonix with Wine and go thru the painful learning curve in order to do basic shit via CLI / terminal and config files, because proper GUI for Loonix is non-existent.

3. Go back to Windows 7 or even better Windows Embedded POSReady 7 and use it as long as possible with third party AV software and good firewall.

>if you're not running windows and need to run windows programs there's Proton

They backport recent versions of GNOME and flatpak, and associated things necessary to keep those running. Also server bits in SCL and miscellaneous odds and ends in EPEL. The only thing that really sucks about CentOS is it's all tied into ancient kernel releases.

a cheesburger costs five bucks? What the fuck america?

For doing what you'd want ReactOS for, Linux with WINE is the less roundabout way to accomplish it.

I started to learn how to code to contribute to React OS
If you are a programmer go contribute something

Attached: 1359608594399.png (651x597, 317K)

Because all software is gaymes right

My guess would be life, these people probably have one, and less than what ten people trying to replicate what thousands of people did over many years.
I think it's coming along nicely. Ignore the linux cult shitting up the thread with their recruiting efforts.

Wine moves at a fairly slow pace, and that's just a reimplementation of the Windows API.
ReactOS is reimplementing everything, and fairly big chunks of ReactOS's Windows API implementation are ported from Wine.

>non-crappy Windows 10 distros
does not exist

It is, search torrents.

It should be pretty obvious, that in order to consider ReactOS "complete," a bunch of people have to cuck the OS in exactly the same manner in which Windows is cucked. (He does it for free.)
Then they have to uncuck the OS enough that it can be considered an improvement over the original without breaking compatibility.

You can get one for a little over a dollar but it tastes worse than the wrapper it comes in.

Attached: shit burger.jpg (514x386, 61K)

It's a meme and barely works on bare metal