How many of you actually study math?

Attached: sssss.png (1484x906, 199K)

I didn't, useless skill.

Just the basic so that i can create some random shit while high

Only engineering maths, Im a brainlet

only the shit i need to get my bachelor
like analysis and statistics

this but even more unironically

Here and there, yes. I should spend more time on it.

I’ve studied a bit of stats and linear algebra on my own since it seems to be useful in CS, but beyond that I’d only study something if it was immediately practical or just seemed interesting to me.

inductive thinking is really good for programming and cs
other than that its a hit or miss really.

Zero, this isn't /sci/

Took my number theory final yesterday. It was terrible.

Math classes are much more challenging and interesting than cs clssses.

Attached: 1545141201980.jpg (342x245, 14K)

I was a math major, and got a masters degree after that. I also did a lot of theoretical physics. Math and physics are beautiful topics. I ended up preferring to work on practical things (machine learning). I still use a lot of math but nothing very deep. I tried getting into quantum computing recently but I have lost my drive to do truly hard math by now.

i do. but im an undergrad so i cannot consider myself a mathematician yet

Attached: Screenshot-05-06-19.png (1600x900, 237K)

>tfw I was 19 when I learned my time tables

based 3rd world education and bad parents

/thread
i am web developer

How do you survive as a supposed programmer?

Not me LOL
Studied philosophy and art history at university and now I'm a Django web dev. I was struggling to calculate VAT rates for an ecommerce site at work the other week - my colleagues were horrified

So what, I learned my times tables last month during abstract algebra class, only with letters instead of numbers. Don't let that hold you baack.

I did, for my bachelors, actually still do for a Masters.

There's lots of exciting facts that you never new even existed, and it's funny how the more abstract you go, you can then say a difficult problem/theorem is "just" a special case of a more abstract truth.

Only as much as is needed for algorithms and some quantum computing aspects.
I treat math as a tool, not goal in itself.

I really loved math as a subject in uni, however I quickly realized that I needed at least 10 more IQ points than what I had in order to contribute anything to the field.
So I chose to major in EE and became an engineer instead.

180 IQ here. I decided to go to comp sci, specifically web dev, because mathematics didn't deserve my contributions.

dude weed xD

2 hours math exercise everyday. 8 hours on exams.

sometimes i solve some integrals while commuting or just for shit and giggles, its nice brain teaser
but you are probably in shitty school if they accepted you without knowing time tables... I mean how good was you high school grades, SAT or whatever you did in your country?

I invented calculus

Attached: Leibniz_Hannover.jpg (600x724, 93K)

lemma?
lemma nuts

Attached: keksalot.jpg (225x225, 13K)

it's good for engineering.

wew lad

Attached: 1556337862950.jpg (633x468, 54K)

Math for me is like fucking a fat ugly chic. You just want to bust your nut and leave.

Double major here. Only doing CS because I know I'll need to do it anyways during my graduates mathematics, considering the focus... I don't really spend much time on Jow Forums though since this place is just stupid.

Attached: maths.png (1187x885, 82K)

Discrete math
I genuinely dislike calc and it has almost nothing to do with my degree (but unirconically )

>state University
Oh I am laffin. How are you going to get a job?

Attached: 1549562973233.jpg (444x354, 27K)

>already got several and declined them because they're remote
I specifically chose to do this one, remotely. I don't even live in NH.

not remote**

Based

I assume you wanted a pure math job otherwise why on Earth would you major in math? State Universities are holding you back if you want to get into academia.

Me for EE
But i'm unmotivated as shit. Any tips?
I quite like numeric calculus tho

i did undergrad and honours year in applied/computational maths. during undergrad i wanted to be a mathematician. during honours i realised this was a terrible idea. after that i enrolled in a PhD anyway, which i did for 6 months before fucking off to a real job as an operational weather forecaster. pay is fucking good but the shiftwork hours are killing me. waiting to hear back about a job in a different section programming the atmospheric models on the supercomputer, which i'm in with a good shot for. never programmed in a supercomputer environment before so it should be interesting.

No you only came up with the notation like the bitch you are

Attached: 8039B4BC-D20E-441B-841D-ED371F41118B.jpg (960x960, 221K)

I just want to do research. My wife and I make software and have a pretty decent income, I've got a lot of good shit going for me just in general with connections and competitions that I've won. Don't worry so much.
Stop worrying about 'motivation' and just start doing things. After a few minutes, whatever laziness or lost motivation you had will be gone.

I had to take a lot of upper level math courses and honestly I think they're kinda easy. solving math problems to me is the same skillset as writing an algorithm. I think the two go well together but I don't think you /need/ to be a math expert to be a successful programmer

me
I just browse Jow Forums instead of /sci/ because they are retarded cryfaggot babbies.
There is at least 5 "wahh my iq is so low" threads everytime I go there

everyone uses slackware, arch or gentoo until they actually have to write a thesis or do work

kek, as an undergrad I hope I can pull off another science masters like computer science or cryptography. Pure math looks sad to me

Advanced math is beautiful, I wish I could study it in my time instead of bullshit protocols and languages born out of Bell Labs retardation.
Don't major in CS, kids. Go for math or physics, and learn the actually useful CS part yourself.

undergrad stuff is fine, the whole degree is fine, going for math related postgrade looks painful

I'll be honest I love mathematics and I really don't take it seriously, more as an offline game.
>What he said, yeah, it's so true.
Learn the mathematics you need to get practical things done.

I do actual work on slackware, I have a bunch of programs running 24/7 that make me reports and trading charts so I can read them at 8am when I wake up.

a lil bit of linear and lambda for big boy langs like lisp

I barely graduated with a bmath. I honestly regret it and am neet now. Most people dropped out of the program, I was an idiot and stayed. Now I feel like killing myself every other day.

Thanks Newton

Learn how to program Monte Carlo simulations and work as a trader at a hedge fund. You better know your shit though.

I use gentoo and I had to write a thesis AND do work. Imagine being so fucking incompetent that you can't use Gentoo and make things happen. Sad.

stay seething brainlet. I bet you couldnt get past the installation screen.

arch isnt nearly as hard as those other two. its as usable as debian these days

based leibniz poster
newton is actually the faggot bitch in this situation

based
seething, bet none of you can even chroot properly
I doubt it, arch does most fuckups were upstream doesn't even have a bug. Meme distro with shit philosphy, slackware is better, but I don''t think it's properly maintained

Attached: Screenshot_2019-04-28_00-13-09.png (1600x900, 1.23M)

I use gentoo. How would I not be able to chroot "properly"? Dude, are you projecting or stupid?
Hell, I had to chroot to install gentoo on an SBC since the damn thing was so slow my Ryzen had to compile using the aarch64 chain. Actually, thank you for reminding me. I haven't updated it in like 6 months. I had set it up and left it hooked to my TV.

dumb beaner i can tell you just now installed dwm for internet points. Stay mad cs brainlet

Test

did it work? :--D

i dont think thats a math problem thats an attention whore problem

Hello Jow Forums.
Do you know of an easy way to convert a .xml file into a .bin file ?
I do not understand much about binaries and google has failed to show me an easy tool.

Attached: 1378084087627.gif (640x480, 809K)

this. im surprised he made it that far in that prestigious of a school to realize that math was not what he was interested in.

dwm is absolute kino though.

Attached: 2019-05-16-231026_5120x2160_scrot.png (5120x2160, 476K)

>>kino
imagine using reddit speak

see
this is me.
indeed dwm is nice. very low on resources.

>reddit speak
This bait is amazing because you're probably not baiting.

kek I don't study cs, and dwm is fine. I just use gnome since I don't even use slackware anymore.
too much software isn't going to be automatically upgraded so I don't want to use it

>phd in math
>any job i want
>300k starting

Attached: image.jpg (400x267, 24K)

gpus and mapreduce bruteforce solution

I prefer to lurk Jow Forums rather than /sci/. At least in Jow Forums I don't run into weebo combinatorics geniuses that made me feel insecure.

Newton was both very smart and a giga brainlet at the same time. He basically shat out calculus quickly to solve some physics problems he was interested in and then went back to working on alchemy and theology

I am working on a graduate degree in math.

I studied just enough, I'm decent to an extent and I can power through combinatorics and proofs but I'm not a fan.

Cringe and bluepilled

you are on the wrong part of the internet. nobody knows here how to "calculate" big O. or how to turn a code fragment into an equation.

I think the high level theoretical CS classes (program language theory etc) are pretty interesting but at that point it's just math anyways.

What? There's a lot of state universities that are good faggot, UMichigan for example

he's also not wrong

basically an autist

>age: 48

And there are lots of state universities that are bad. Few of them are good enough for a mathematics career; an education perhaps but not a job in research or academia.

its not really... pure math is probably the best stem field in terms of how interesting the stuff you do is on average. no one cares about your crappy thesis you are going to write if its in cryptography or computer science either. even if you do top 10 sexy hot fields 2019 data scientist/cryptographer/comp sci still at the end of the day no one is going to care about you except your family if you're lucky. might as well tuck in with a comfy field that doesn't have boring grunt work if you have the chance.

Attached: 1557818081773.gif (490x275, 995K)

What's the point of wasting time when nobody will use his proofs?

If your asking what the point in going into math is if what you want is to be a celeb and don't like math there is none which is what he found out. If your asking why he didn't work on proofs more people cared about who knows.

Retard time: what is the best book(s) to learn maths beyond very basic calculus? As an aside, I find one of the biggest barriers to higher level maths isn't even the concepts, it's simply understanding and knowing what all the various symbols and operators mean

>he's also not wrong
My wife, who actually uses reddit, told me she's never seen the word 'kino' used before on there.
>I'll call him a redditfag, then people will know I'm not from reddit!
This is how I see you and the other retard.

I did in highschool.

This, but including calculus.

I got through high school honor's algebra by plugging the numbers into my calculator, and then I started smoking weed and thus ended my education.

I'm teaching myself programming but the math is hard.

Ideally I would learn concepts without having to do dozens of problems for each little concept. Ideally.

Attached: 1 rAdj-l6VhMWKC5Jl-UFdYA.jpg (1600x914, 216K)

>I'll imply he's a redditfag, then people will think i don't like cock up my ass!
this is how everyone else sees you

But I'm not implying. I'm out right stating it. This place blows, I'm going back to lainchan.

oh, now it makes sense. have fun!

It's not hard to get good at any intellectual presuit as an amateur. Remember that the only thing that makes a professional is remuneration.

1 + 1 = ??

Based graph theory

I was good enough to pass the math classes in uni and good enough to realize I’m a retard compared to the people going full math. Any time I try to get into it I feel inadequate.

I'm going back and learning calculus and linear algebra so I can get out of the shit career path known as IT and move into development and machine learning. I'm currently a tech lead at an MSP, it pays well but I seriously want to kill myself at times. Development looks comfy in comparison to harsh realities of IT consulting.

i guess they never miss huh

>age: newfag