KDE 5.15 -> 5.16

>KDE 5.15 -> 5.16
Shitload of improvements, fixes, new features and UI improvements.
kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.15.90.php
>Gnome 3.30 -> 3.32
Literally nothing has change except slightly improved performane and a new default theme (who uses default theme?)

Why is GNOME, a desktop with much more funding so shit?

Attached: notifications.png (1011x909, 474K)

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.debian.org/buster/plasma-desktop
reddit.com/r/kde/comments/agug6s/the_way_kde_handles_blur_falls_victim_to_this
bugs.kde.org
pointieststick.com
old.reddit.com/r/kde
community.kde.org/Get_Involved/design
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

KDE was always the superior solution, GNOME is dying soon.

Yes, let's just ignore GNOME now being able to handle fractional scaling.

Plasma Wayland can too.

Still doesnt work by default even on wayland (Fedora gnome 3.32.2)

That UI is a clusterfuck

Theres nothing coherent about KDE. It's a bunch of random shit hacked together. I'd rather use Xfeces and the foot over KDE.

KDE is Boeing.
LxQT is Airbus.
Gnome is fucking Tupolev.

I'm the Director of Engineering at a major software company. When hiring, I always ask the candidates which Linux DE they prefer. If they say Gnome then I immediately know they're a brainlet who can't code, can't handle anything other than a tablet, and would probably fuck the company up with diversity initiatives.

Thank you Gnome for making my hiring decisions easier. Thank you KDE for making a functional desktop environment instead of catering to brainlets and low-IQ brown people.

Attached: Linux DEs.jpg (677x1400, 199K)

Have you met someone like gentooman, which said shit like "DE is a bloat"

>GDM + Gnome
>bluetooth audio doesn't work without ridiculous workarounds

>SDDM+KDE
>nvidia PRIME doesn't work without ridiculous workarounds

why is it all so painful, bros

We did get a walking meme say something similar to that, he still got hired since he hated gnome. Brings a good touch of autism to the team.

Attached: 1524993421413.jpg (1400x814, 446K)

"screen if I must multiplex, otherwise I am a tty user"

hired/fired?

Install KDE Neon.

Plasma is way too fucking ugly and no custom themes can save it. I also can't be bothered to change so many of the poor default settings. It really is death by a thousand paper cuts. I'll wait a decade for KDE 6 to come out and take a look again but until then, I'll use something else.

>can literally change the look of entire DE
>no custom themes can save it
brainlets please leave

>ugly
KDE Plasma is the best looking DE out there

Give me a Plasma theme with very round corners and a lot of whitespace.

You have shit taste.

Yes

I like KDE, a lot.
But I also like the foot. Right now I prefer the foot in fact. There are some little things that annoy me on KDE, on Gnome I don't have this problem mostly because the developers removed this stuff together with some useful functions.
But KDE's been improving a whole fucking lot with each update.

I already did.

based fencesitter post

>personal preference
>you have shit taste

Paddding (what you geniucs call whitespace) can be configured for everything. Round corners can be enabled anti aliased in multiple ways and you can also modify their radius.

You are just an idiot who sees Plasma and dislikes it without understanding you should reshape it. But clearly vrainlet

What’s the competition really? The only other DE with decent looks is Gnome 3 and even that is just ok. Cinnamon, Mate and Xfce aren’t even worth mentioning in terms of looks, Budgie looks like a Gnome 3 ripoff, Deepin and Pantheon are wannabe MacOS.

Where is the setting for rounded corners in Plasma? I will give it a try.

Gnome with extensions is a nice looking alternative to Plasma it you want a Windows UI.

Gnome starts to look and perform like shit once you start piling on the extensions. I prefer Plasma where I don’t need extensions for basic functionality.

I don't think I've ever encountered anybody IRL who genuinely likes Gnome. If someone told me that I'd be giving them weird looks forever after.

GNOME is way better

Nice. Does it have tagging folders/files on Dolphin yet? I tried using it but it was buggy as fuck.

Looks like Discover, one of the shittiest softwares that has ever existed on KDE, is still shit.

Attached: discover-update.png (960x720, 59K)

The blurred breeze seems like a nice addition. I had to use qtcurve, I think, to make blurred windows previously.

Attached: window-management.png (1920x1080, 1.75M)

how could anyone sane downgrade to a DE from a WM?

shit padding. how hard can it be?

because you're trying to use garbage technology

what is it about a graphical interface that confounds open source developers? Either its fucking bare bones as fuck and you have to install 3rd party software just to make it barely functional (gnome), or it's fucking shit everywhere (kde).

At least the Gnome compositor works very well unlike Kwin that needs to play hard to run on AMD GPUs and even so it continues with stutter.

You only need the extensions officially maintained by Gnome devs. It's faster for me to click a few check boxes than to fix all the paper cuts in Plasma. However, I do wish tweaking a DE to make it good would be unnecessary.

>dragonshit
>still getting constant updates because the developers can't do shit right on the first try
>a fucking foot
>slight incremental updates and occasional tweaks
Wow! It's almost like it's a finished product or something
Browsing Jow Forums does not make you Director of Engineering at 4channel LLC
Kde and dragongtk looks like absolute garbage, even more when you use it on anything other than kde.
Autism

>touching anything qtrash
even windows it's faster than kbloat

Attached: qtrash.jpg (951x835, 149K)

>Why is GNOME, a desktop with much more funding so shit?
Because they dont listen to their userbase i doubt they even use what they make.(like freebsd devs)
They constantly fuck shit up and make excuses.
Not to mention gnome is co-opted by lefties.
They dont even know how to properly use money
Remember that time they nearly lost all their money to a women's out reach program? The one that was a complete failure. Worst part about it is that money is actually donation money. So that money you gave them because you wanted them to improve their desktop went to shit.

KDE doesn't listen to anyone either. Its going the way of Gnome
>Dolphin Places replaced with weird Baloo powered folders
>KWin still doesn't work on VirtualBox after however many fucking years
>More nauseating bling effects every new release you can't turn off (Taskbar has transparency you can't disable, shadows can't be disabled and now there's this ugly ass blur that looks much worse than how MacOS and Winblows 10 does it)

Surprising no one, KDE 5.16 will be slower and buggier across all platforms. What if they stopped being ADD kids and fixed the fucking problems first? God

Attached: 1546798720877.png (1920x1080, 2.58M)

>not tmux
we'll call you

I wont act like i like kde either.
However it is in reality much lighter to gnome and the over all desktop environment is still functional.
Not to mention a lot of kde utilities are nicer compared to the gnome counterparts(look at nautilus vs dolphin for example)

just dont use wayland.
utter trashfire window system

>kai uwe
KEK

guess im switching to GNOME then

Kde had tagging before everything else, even Windows (MacOS had those colored labels first tho)

I just wish plasma didn't run like absolute shit, at least on my VM

not enough clutter, there is obviously some free space left that can be filled with shit

>KDE
>Gnome
both are shit.
one is a wannabe Windows dumpsterfire.
the other is a shitty iOS ripoff.

neither are worth installing on your machine.

Plasma can't even manage to look good on integral scaling

"Unity Desktop"

hired/fired?

I hope you realize that the expanding brain meme is supposed to be ironic, and that the "stupidest" choice in the image is in fact the best.

Because you can't improve on perfection

Well it’s 5.14 for the upcoming Debian 10.
packages.debian.org/buster/plasma-desktop

good god look at the bloat. can they cram anymore useless icons and sub menus into that thing? and people say windows is bloated...

jesus christ what is going on here

Attached: IMG_20190517_144247.png (201x881, 97K)

Shitty bait, but apparently Jow Forums is full of retards
Congratulations, you win the prize for the most retarded reply

How did you make the window decorations blurred? I unironically miss win7 aero.

reminder that only macOS and KDE has true color blur since this is fixed now
reddit.com/r/kde/comments/agug6s/the_way_kde_handles_blur_falls_victim_to_this

>who uses default theme?
i do. not everybody is a ricer

Do QT applications stop randomly crashing in wayland yet? I hate gnome, but gtk just werks in wayland while QT still has random bugs.

I'm a brainlet using Debian-Gnome. What should I be using instead?

Debian with GNOME is fine.

How'd the hidpi scaling on kde right now? Last time I couldn't use it on a 24" 4k monitor.
Gnome on the other hand I can scale the font and it looks mac-like sharp

>Wayland
Hey, r e t a r d

Go away xorg dinosaur.

that just proves how much plasma is behind gnome
gnome doesn't need much change, it's already close to perfection

>Brings a good touch of autism to the team.
I figured you had enough autism for the entire company.

Attached: FB_IMG_1553491039628.jpg (368x363, 15K)

>gnome doesn't need much change
Get rid of all the javascript in the code and I might believe you.

As an Xfce user, what benefits does this new Plasma version bring that could make me want to jump in?

gnome makes polish people angry?

I use default theme on GNOME and almost default GNOME. I think it looks quite nice. New icon theme fits well with any other programs icon and everything looks coherent. Some people hate GNOME for intentionally debilitated design, but I personally like a lot. It has nice workflow, hot corner stuff works really well, animations are silky smooth and it looks better than KDE on my 12" laptop. KDE might suit better for desktop, but last time I tried it was laggy. You probably never used GNOME for extended period of time and you hate it because other people hate it. Both GNOME and KDE are great, they have some flaws and they work for different kind of people, just use whatever you enjoy. Peace. Here's kitten.

Attached: IMG_20190517_181908_591.jpg (1024x1280, 154K)

I think it's mostly because QT went through various phases in troubled businesses that didn't always make it clear it would remain useful to open sauce projects.

Also qt is really quite big.

Xfce will become GTK3+ soon

it will get rid of your shitty de

why can't kde into design?

Attached: notification 1.png (1020x446, 280K)

Attached: notification 2.png (2022x909, 1.01M)

Attached: r3rn2my5hoh01.jpg (1277x1281, 154K)

this is what KDEfags think looks good

KdE iS tOo CoMpLeX.

Nope, you can see a lot of criticism about it. They said it's just beta for now and it will change. Free software always suffered from bad UX/UI (there are a few exceptions).
The difference is (IME), if you approach KDE devs with an improved concept art or just objective feedback about how to improve the notification window, they would actually listen.

heres a template, show us how you would make the interface better and post on Jow Forumskde (this post is not sarcastic)
remember to add all the potential elements, and some of them could be hidden until a mouse over event

Attached: template.png (1011x909, 477K)

This blue line that goes over the icons trigger my autism.

go back

It looks great in me desktop because I don't have a thin taskbar. So it has space to breathe

>KDE users care about functionality, use their computers like gods
>GNOME cucks care about aesthetics, wish they were using a mac instead
call me when gnome gets actual features some day

Attached: useful-features.png (959x862, 104K)

Based KDE

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-17_19-19-26.png (357x332, 90K)

That UI is fucking cancer, Jesus

This, just put a 3 dot icon on the right with these options that were removed and you'll have something that looks great and is functional.

>move notification icons to the left
>remove red bg from X icons
>replace that godawful settings icon with a gear
>hide the settings icon and close buttons until you hover over the notification
>if you give a shit about touchscreens: allow notifications to be swiped away
done.

how about the little red X buttons would only appear on the individual notifications when hovered on them

I'm currently using xfce, but I'm interested in trying KDE, especially because of that pretty feosted glass effect. Is it as fast and light on the battery as XFCE?

go join the VDG and make some merge requests then, or quit bitching

>go join the VDG
I'm already lurking the telegram chat
too shy to say anything

Attached: 1447573218281.png (1856x1651, 1.29M)

bugs.kde.org
pointieststick.com
old.reddit.com/r/kde

community.kde.org/Get_Involved/design

I realixed that I didn't use over half the shit that even xfce had. Now I just mix amd match my own DE.

What's all that bullshit on the left? is there a separate category for printer notifications? for road construction notifications? wtf?

those are all the other plasmoids in the tray, laid out vertically for some reason