Would any serious work be possible with a Pentium I CPU today?

Would any serious work be possible with a Pentium I CPU today?

Attached: intel.jpg (500x374, 18K)

Other urls found in this thread:

uncreativelabs.de/th99/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

quite a lot actually, i remember running emacs (yes, that bloated monstrosity) on my old pentium 166

You failed to define" serious work."

It's a general purpose CPU that can do all sorts of mathematical computation. It can do anything you want it to, practically. It's just going to take 10 eons to do it.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.jpg (626x380, 40K)

How are you going to protect it from the dreaded ZombieLand viros though?!

Oh Em Geez user, better watch out

>IRC
>FTP
sure

Well if you only use old software then you can do a lot.

everything it could do when it was relevant hardware
my amd k6-2 can still play music and browse Jow Forums
older photo editing software, video editors, drafting software
its just gonna be way slower than modern software on modern hardware

i have a thinkpad G40 from 2003 with a pentium 4 and integrated graphics, 1gb of ram, that runs autocad 2005 without issue
used it through highschool in my drafting classes (im 22) and for 2d drafting it was perfectly fine

Attached: desktop.png (1152x864, 171K)

Sure, better to sell it to some hipster faggot who wants a dosbox and use the $100 you get to pick up some chinkshit box made in the past 5 years, though.

old version Word typewriter
I recall Pentium 1 was slow even by late 90s standards

Hi Cameron!

Attached: 10A3B73A-5E8B-40D6-8B58-79212E3072CE.jpg (900x900, 50K)

I can't wait to be the motherfucker in the threads still using an FX-8350 on windows 7 and shitposting with it after 20 years

I have a Pentium D on XP, 2Gb. Can just barely run FF web browser, play small shitty embedded videos (not at useful definition). Do you want to edit text files? SSH into remote computers?

Pentium machines will still do all of the same stuff they did when they were commanding upwards of five figures new, they'll still perform mathematical computations literal millions of times faster than you ever will while never tiring and maintaining near perfect accuracy, they themselves are still many times more powerful than the room-sized machines of 20 years before for some tasks.

In fact, "serious" work is pretty much all old computers are still useful for, in the modern age they mainly suck at being toys, as has found out in his struggles with a multi-processor machine with multiple gigabytes of memory and storage the most well endowed DoE national laboratories could have only dreamed of having even a decade before.

Attached: hitachi_flora.png (1600x1968, 1.36M)

>late 90s
A processor that was anywhere from two to three generations behind in a time when Moore’s law was still for all intents and purposes an actual law was slow? Wow, well no shit.

you're better off with a raspi, they aren't affected by MDS

Raspis are unironically slower than 1995 shit for a lot of serious computation. Stop shilling that basedboy garbage.

You could make a decent router for a sub 50mbit connection, A WRT54G is only 200mhz and 32MB ram.

I used to shitpost on a Pentium Pro w/ Imagine 128 II regularly until about a year back I pulled some board jumpers out to fix another box and couldn't remember the config I had it in, and the manual was lost to the eons

still have it, it just won't boot, and I can't be assed to try all the possible jumper pins

Attached: 448.jpg (600x442, 17K)

>maintaining near perfect accuracy
till you tell it to divide 4195835 by 3145727

Attached: 1555701915233.png (540x540, 450K)

a true testament to the quality of modern bloatware and web
(you should just buy some refubrished ram from chinks or ebay for 5$)

I have pentium pro 180mhz machine with 1gb ram and ssd. It can run everything but modern web. You can fire up latest office and it'll work at reasonable speed but web is just unusable, even Jow Forums takes forever to render in chrome, things like gmail never load.

>even Jow Forums takes forever to render in chrome
Well no shit. Chrome is pretty heavy on the CPU. Have you tried any alternative light browsers like K-Meleon, Midori, xombrero, or w3m?

Nah man, you're wrong, this are bench results for 1996 IBM server with pentium pro 180 running win2k3.

Attached: Octane20.png (866x855, 33K)

And this is $10 chink orange pi zero.

Makes you think how bloated and slow is software these days.

Attached: Octane20_orangepizero.png (852x854, 95K)

Yes, look at Russian Elbrus CPU. Based on similar design. They use them in theur modern tanks

My project group mate is using a shitty laptop with a pentium, it works surprisingly well

pdf.js is actually much closer than I anticipated.
Is it single threaded?

Looks like it's (mostly) single threaded.

Attached: Octane20_orangepizero2.png (1281x1024, 158K)

>FX-8350

My brother, we will be posting forever on our eternal processors.

pic of IBM

Attached: DSC_0111.jpg (675x1200, 69K)

Yes. Retard.

and orangepi for reference

Attached: 4321.jpg (1280x720, 131K)

cli stuff maybe

Attached: error message from 2013.png (498x252, 29K)

yes.
serious work boils down to publishing and the Pentium I can run latex.

Hence "near-perfect" :^)
FDIV only affected a few Pentiums though, and even with it was still consistently and accurately wrong.

>complains about “bloated” software
>uses a javascript benchmark
Kill yourself, redditor.

uncreativelabs.de/th99/
If you can't find your board here, your board a shit

Using period software you could probably do quite a bit. Really it depends on what you'd want to achieve.

awww shit here we go, shes on there

Some people do serious work on C64 today...

Fuck yeah.

Nope, it was just a silly joke, nobody ever used it for serious work. All computer made before 2007 were never used for serious work, they could never do it, not that they magically lost the ability to do so.

Nope.

Well, a couple of years ago I had to give an Assembler exam and my main PC died on me. My only resource for practicing was a Pentium II 400Mhz / 128 MB RAM.

Booted up Debian, installed gcc, nasm, vim and started coding.

>uncreativelabs.de/th99/
Where the fuck has this been all my life?

Heh, went to check if my cheapo PCchips motherboard is on there, chipset is listed as "Intel TX Pro II" when it's actually PCchips's "TXPro™" that's just a rebadged SiS chipset. Even decades later someone's still getting bamboozled.

Do any zoomers here actually compute with their computers? Threads like these are always full to the brim with people talking about literally nothing but web browsers and how any computer that can’t stream a minecraft let’s play at 1080p is literally a paperweight that was never useful to anybody.

I thought this was a technology enthusiast board, but you’re all such a bunch of fucking plebs.

cope

well I mean PC Chips was the company famous for scamming people by putting fake L2 cache on 486 boards and then changing the BIOS so that it lied and always said it had L2 cache. The whole company was built on bamboozling people.

>its just gonna be way slower than modern software on modern hardware
Not all the time. Modern software is bloated beyond all belief. I can think of numerous examples of older software on old hardware running circles around newer versions on much newer hardware.

Naturally image/audio/video editing consists of highly optimized core functions so you won't find this happening there. But open an older version of MS Office sometime. A Pentium might be going too far back, but a G5 Mac with the Office that was current at its time will run circles around Microshit Office today on a quad core i7.

>...they mainly suck at being toys, as has found out in his struggles with a multi-processor machine with multiple gigabytes of memory and storage the most well endowed DoE national laboratories could have only dreamed of having even a decade before.
The web is absolute shit. HTML is shit, CSS is shit, JavaScript is shit, it's all such bloated shit that it chokes machines which could otherwise be simulating nuclear weapons testing or black holes or something.

people these days build a pc, or install an os and think they're Jow Forums material