How much is too much to spend on a laptop?

How much is too much to spend on a laptop?

Attached: 90acef2e-f196-4722-bcc0-0332ba3addc0_1.a03095ab3e37fe12841fcc09dfff19b4.jpg (2400x2400, 672K)

whatever apple's price is

Beat me to it.

Over $100 and you're getting ripped off.

I spent around US$1500 for mine

anything over 300 euro and you're better off getting a proper desktop plus a netbook or smartphone

This, anything more and you're pissing money down the drain.

yep
yep. no reason to spend more than a couple hundred bucks, unless you really actually need portable processing power for some weird reason.

>unless you really actually need portable processing power for some weird reason.
SSH exists.

my job gives me a reason, but I'd say its quite niche. However, having your workflow be the same wherever you are is fucking great.

I hope you are buying used business laptops at those prices because budget consumer models are fucking dogshit build quality

Why would anyone buy a new laptop?

warranty

Don't buy laptops with known issues, then. And repair them yourself to save money.

correct.
consumerism, excess money. most people wasting money on recreational electronics aren't in the habit of buying used.
might be the only good reason.

$500

i got my mom an ideapad 320 for 350€ new and the build quality is honestly good, much better than what i expected. the only real downside of the laptop is the screen, which wasn't surprising at the price.

Attached: lenovo-ideapad-320-17-hero.png (725x515, 124K)

Spent 320 burgerbux on my asus. Not bad for an A12 processor.

Depends on your financial situation and what you want out of your laptop.

Is this too much for a laptop? The specs seem quite good and the design is nice.
$20,454 MXN = $1,075 USD

>inb4 gayming laptop

Attached: msi.png (1076x570, 227K)

>60hz panel
>2019
no

The highest I paid was around 5500EUR for an hp Zbook 17 G5. i9-8950HK,64GB RAM,1TB Samsung NVME SSD, 10bit 4K dreamcolor panel, Quadro P4200. It was totally worth it. I also have a desktop, before someone asks why didn’t I buy a desktop instead.

>implying more than maybe 5% of consumers can repair their own shit.
I wouldn't have a job if this weren't the case.

Were the case*

Are there any new-ish laptops that have a proper keyboard (not chiclet)? Or is 2012 around the most recent for that?

They can, they just don't. It isn't like it is difficult.

Thinkpad

It's still surprisingly common, especially with resolutions above 1080p. I honestly can't find any panel that supports larger resolutions and a higher refresh rate. Granted, I was only browsing panelook for a few minutes a day or two ago.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm fucking jealous and since there are no spoilers, why didn't you go for a P5200 if you're already dumping that much for a workstation? I'm assuming that you're using it for an actual job as opposed to fucking around like me.

Good fucking luck repairing most laptops outside of basic bent pins and such. After Haswell, almost any laptop that isn't a desktop replacement has a soldered chip on board making a replacement stupidly expensive.

This is right around the mark where you stop losing $/performance. All the $2k+ that i’ve seen have had internals that get throttled instantly (basically making the extra money pointless) or are memebooks

Be patient and keep scanning eBay for a pappy with a 2070 at this price, used shouldn't be very used with a newer gpu, also refurbished isn't necessarily much better than pre-owned

>Good fucking luck repairing most laptops outside of basic bent pins and such. After Haswell, almost any laptop that isn't a desktop replacement has a soldered chip on board making a replacement stupidly expensive.
I already said don't get a new laptop, you retard. Laptops stopped being any good in 2009. And all the laptops from then are easily repairable by anyone with a soldering iron. Or, as the yankees say, "sahdering i-ron".

>laptop monitor from 2009
would rather neck myself than use that daily

What do you mean?

Good question about the P5200. To be honest I didn’t look much into it, as I only use this to fuck around. Didn’t make this mistake on my desktop tho, my Quadro RTX 8000 should be with me in about 2-3 weeks.

Dont buy a laptop with soldered ram and shiet. Get something at least upgradable, not needing dongles, easy to repair, acessible to parts and service.

Dpends on what you're using it for. Every day use, light gaming, minor productivity (AKA 90% of people) I'd say no more than $300. But if you have a job that requires your tech to have a little extra juice or video making/editing then something around $500-600 would be good.

brightness, blacks, colour accuracy, resolution and refresh rates have all made significant improvements over the last decade

1800$

50Hz is all you need for a refresh rate. Brightness and colours are fine on my T60, too. Resolution is good too. And it is 4:3, rather than garbage like 16:9.

>50Hz is all you need
no one would ever need more than 32kb ram and 640x480 res

I disagree.

I'll decide what I need and want thanks

Consumerist fuckhead. Go buy a GAMING laptop with Wangblows and eat lead.

How much is too much for a laptop if it's your primary machine?

How much is too much for a laptop if you just want an additional machine that you can take with you that's competent but not necessarily a powerhouse?

Attached: 38080868_2148295495382312_6487861929573351424_n.jpg (640x640, 90K)

compelling argument

Why not just use SSH if you need extra power?

$400 and that's if you're really going to use it for a long time. buy a desktop.

>gayming laptop
lol

Over $800

Attached: Subwau_Adventures.jpg (1231x2154, 679K)

Just get a

Attached: 2003.970[1].jpg (970x728, 79K)

user, do not fucking buy this piece of shit. Msi laptops are cheaper spec wise than some other brands, but the keyboards are horrible and you will very quickly realise you should have just spent the money on building a desktop. Please do not make the same mistake I did.

great pic. where can i find more?

Predator 21X

If you asked me a month ago I would've said ~$1500. Now I would say over $500 because gaming laptops are shit and I'm glad I never bought one. Looking to build a mini itx pc instead with a portable monitor and wireless keyboard /touchpad combo . Not only is it cheaper but it is going to be far better performance wise.

For anyone that says itx is shit, fuck you its infinitely better than a laptop

I own that exact laptop. Works great for everything, including mid-high 1080p gayming.

Have that exact laptop, love it.

I haven't spent more than 400. Highest I think I spent was on what I'm using right now, and it was 350-ish for an 8770w with 16GB of RAM, an i7-3940xm, a 250gb SSD, and a 500gb HDD.

Bought Nitro 5 an515-42 for $700 leaf dollars. My only concern is the stripped BIOS

Was gonna get a Nitro 5 but the Helios 300 was cheaper than the GTX 1060 version, so I just got the Helios instead and only a couple hundred more than the GTX 1050 Nitro 5.

Mind, I like the look of the Nitro 5 more.

buy a portable one

payed 3k for my macbook pro late 2018 and gonna buy imac pro seethe harder now designated streetshitter

We're about to move to 8k and all 3000+$ gayman laptops still have only full HD screens, what. the. fuck.

zenbook pro has a 4k screen though, and it costs less than $3k.

There's no point in having higher res on a 17" screen because nothing scales right

That's a multimedia machine though, not a gaming laptop, it's not sold as top of the line super premium only the best components shit.

8k32inch portable gay men laptops fucking WHEN

$150 used with $100 in new battery, SSD and 2x more memory. Anything more is just absolutely retarded. Pic from June 2018.

Attached: laptop for cheapo.png (1426x918, 417K)

Paid £700

Attached: 148EC7B9-4FC0-4840-97B8-DB84FB34B185.jpg (1242x1242, 126K)

Any amount is too much because that retard garbage is worth getting for free.

paid about $1250 for a school machine and honestly regret spending that much. now i dont have money for decent monitors and i only use that laptop when im at school, couldve bought a $200 thinkpad to do just that

$400 to $600
Go any higher and you enter "dedicated GPU" territory which you want to avoid at all times.

Went to a school like that. Was told the same thing in my class once and my reply was "That is absolutely insane, if anyone pays that much for a laptop they picked the wrong subject to get a degree in." I mean I was in complete shock as I had everything with an under $500 system.

this is one of the reasons i use public transport. it's so insanely entertaining. there once was some hobo that took the same bus as me (we were the only 2 passengers) and he randomly took out harmonica and started playing and singing like the crazy guy he was. then there was that one time when some drunk tried talking to me but couldn't. i was wondering why tf was he throwing gang signs at me but turns out he was a mute. had fun trying to decipher whatever he was trying to convey to me.

Well, it depends on a laptop itself but I mostly agree with the guy

The only gayman laptop that id ever buy is the dell g3 abything above that is shitt territory

it's hard to gauge your needs before the purchase, only after using it for a while i noticed its way overkill

POO IN LOO

Unironically this. I spent 700$+ on my current laptop and I honestly regret it.
Not because it's bad, but because I could have gotten a machine that is just as good for my use cases, for less than a third of the price.
Buying used is underrated, and in electronics in particular makes sense.

Yes, that's exactly another reason why a super-powerful laptop is pointless.

anything over $0.01

My old GS60 had a good keyboard haven't used anything recent though

DESIGNATED STREETSHITTER

Attached: Screenshot_20181210-143851~2.jpg (720x646, 39K)

But not always fast internet

$200 max

I paid $2000 for mine and have no regrets.

you are stoopid

Many people that drool over "muh lenovo" dont understand you can buy a different brand laptop. Replace the KB, battery, HD, and memory for less than that Lenovo that has all those items needing replacement anyways. Business line Dells, HP and others are far better for the cost before and after upgrading them.

A little less than a new GPU. Because that thing is going to get BURNED

Just buy stolen ones from Jamal and Tyrone.