I'm a professional programmer that works in C++

I'm a professional programmer that works in C++

27, graduated from top CS school, make ~200k + stock

what do you want to know?

Attached: programmer.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stackoverflow.com/questions/3141087/what-is-meant-with-const-at-end-of-function-declaration
en.cppreference.com/w/
cs.cmu.edu/~410-s16/p2/thr_lib.pdf)
solarianprogrammer.com/2018/01/10/writing-minimal-x86-64-jit-compiler-cpp/
archive.fo/hmUa5
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Do you work in a high cost of living part of the country (Silicon Valley, NYC, Boston, etc.)?

yea, bay area

I'm doing an undergraduate at an ABET accredited CS degree at a #45 school.

Where should I go for a masters to be like you? Any other advice?

You look like an IBM type.
Are you a virgin?

So you don't work at a FAANG, because that compensation is low. I made that my second or third year out of college.

Brainlet

is that your gf? how do I become a master of c++?

When did you decide a specialty? Im a relatively new CS student but im doing overloaded semesters of hell because im not 21 and I have the means to float myself through school, and I need to pick a lane. its very hard theres so many options

What electives did you take at college that weren't related to your major

Thanks. Are you working in an office, a cubicle, or an open office?

I got by with a good portfolio -- I did many many hackathons throughout college and almost all of them were in C or C++
Didn't do masters and from what I've heard it's not too useful

nope

check out levels.fyi -- base salary for FAANG is usually around 200k at L5 or equivalent

it isn't. First thing to accept is that you'll never be a master of C++ and that it is fundamentally an over designed shitty language. Keeping up with C++ features is like keeping up with the latest javascript framework. Not too hard, but you just have to continuously do it so you don't sound like an idiot

junior year I specialized in "lower level" programming and that was about it

math, physics

open office

More senior than you

270k+ bay area

But I have a question for you. How the fuck am I meant to meet single women who aren't:

* Pajeets
* Ugly
* Old
* Mexicans

What is more valuable, an internship or a portfolio with a >3.5GPA?

>math, physics
You weren't forced to take humanities?

Find yourself a qt asian

try bumble or hinge -- those are the apps of choice from what I've found with my friends

depends, an internship is a lot like a very large project in a portfolio

I was, those were the only non-major courses I was consistent in developing and tried to get decent grade in. I took random other stuff like creative writing, history, philosophy, psychology -- all with random foci

I did electronics in uni and my first job is really heavy on C++. I've been here for a year (only been working in the code base for 4 months) but I feel like I'm not learning much and just stumbling around. How do I get gud?

Electives can be anything you want, but every degree plan imaginable requires a few credits in liberal arts and "culture" shit. I took film analysis, my electives were statistics courses, and I still had to take history and lit and all that.

this is a shitty larp thread

Attached: 1549760081637.webm (800x800, 2.46M)

rewrite STL features from scratch and ask someone who knows what they're doing to critique it.

one good trick for new people to *seem* like they're good at C++ is to ensure diffs you review make methods constant when possible:
stackoverflow.com/questions/3141087/what-is-meant-with-const-at-end-of-function-declaration

also, *always* use en.cppreference.com/w/ instead of cplusplus.com

also, learn about move semantics

Do you have other hobbies outside programming?

chess, climbing

how do i into low-level programming? what kinds of projects should i start exploring?

lmao that 200k your making is worth fuck all in that tax-prison.

This. Nobody cares about your "Day In the Life" vlog, please leave.

Attached: brainlet.png (621x702, 56K)

if you're more interested in OS stuff, look into building a user space thread library
(I don't have a great link for this, but this looks good cs.cmu.edu/~410-s16/p2/thr_lib.pdf)
if you're interested in compilers write a program that emits code and executes it
this is a nice tutorial solarianprogrammer.com/2018/01/10/writing-minimal-x86-64-jit-compiler-cpp/

yea. it's pretty standard base pay, though.

here's your (You)

and how much do you earn, faggot?

its because Jow Forums is filled with slice of life watching weeaboo faggots that eat this kind of shit up

it's standard stuff enjoyed by people who aren't disconnected to the point of autism

Do you look like this?

Attached: file.png (1280x960, 1.54M)

Where do I get started on programming and hacking? I already know all the python basics and I'm starting to learn kali linux but everything from here is so open ended I have no idea where to start and I'm more accustomed to a very on rails approach to learning, are there any resources or any advice you may have for me?

Yeah these should be banned desu.

Why are you so starved for attention? Go to a cpp meetup or something you autist.

A better question is how much is the government taking from you.
OP makes 5x as much money as me yet has the same standard of living as everyone else here.
That shit is not normal.

What is your net worth? Is reaching 1m reasonable at age 27?

no, threads like this are for people that are so disconnected that they know nobody and want to feel connected by being invested in fiction rather than real people.

never wear a button down but I look most like the androgynous third from the left dude(?)

I'd recommend using the python stuff you've learned to do low level stuff. Check out projects like PeachPy, which use python to assemble code.

I'm not sure what learning kali linux entails, but memorizing high level commands for capturing packets on a network probably won't give you much knowledge about how it all works under the hood.

Pick a dirt simple goal and try to figure it out. If you fail use what you learn along the way to pick an even simpler project and do that.

yea my apartment is pretty small. however when I travel it is quite nice. things like flights aren't hard to book and I can stay in nicer hotels

for me, less than half that. but I'm shit at saving

why do people pretend they enjoy living in California?

everyone is smart, fit and nice
the weather is always decent

too bad all the flower and rosin is overpriced mids in cali

>smart
clearly not if they decided to live there
>fit
probably because they can't afford food after paying the rent
>nice
lmao, this is just delusion, I bet the streetshitters you have are really nice

when will you rid the industry of SJWs, their incompetent diversity hires and pajeets with fake diplomas that ruin the IT and poison corporate policies with marxism?

>the weather is always decent
kek

just fuck off already larper

someone asking the big questions

What kind of nincompoop wears headphones while working?

Attached: 1468784983273.jpg (500x500, 63K)

anyone who's unfortunate enough to work in an open space shithole

>200k per year
>150k after taxes
>100k after rent

Vs

>80k per year
>50k after taxes
>45k after rent

Yeah, if you think 45k is better than 100k then you might have failed math.

>probably because they can't afford food after paying the rent

this logic is confusing. do third world countries say the same thing about the US?

>forced to live in a shithole

Forgot to add that to the second one. I can't imagine living in buttfuck suburbia.

it's a social signal thing

How did you move yourself from small project to large projects to integrating yourself into huge codebases? Where do you begin trying to understand old code you have to extend especially for a mature product?

Where are the tits?

na its just comfy af in a lot of workspaces desu

and I can't imagine living in an india-tier hellhole

Attached: 566.jpg (1094x865, 127K)

did they purposely align them from most attractive to least attractive or was it just coincidence?

>no argument
He's right. A guy banking away 50k-75k a year is going to be ahead of you in 10 years when you're only banking away 25k a year. He also has the option of moving from a high cost of living area like the bay to a low cost of living, which you won't have if you spent 20 years working for 80k in some flyover.

There is no reason for a software engineer with sufficient talent NOT to work in California unless they're trying to raise a family (aka normalfag shit). Anyone who tells you otherwise is coping plain and simple.

Where did OP mention anything about San Francisco?

>arbitrarily ranking the sexiness of manchildren

the absolute fucking state of g

I have a 3.5 GPA and I am going to CSUN and I fucked already C programmer-kun?

You mean a suburb? Yeah, it's pretty bad. Every time I drive though one it's creepy as hell.

for almost all languages, I begin by playing with tests. I'll typically extend them and breaking them until I get a sense of how the component works. The one language that basically fucks that paradigm up is Java.
>not realizing it's just drake and josh's little sister all grown up

You can move to Pleasanton, an hour drive from Sf, and earn a similar pay except in a suburban shithole.

are you saying thats a tranny?

nah. as I told the other user above, just build out a portfolio.

Not to mention 401ks are pre tax. Factor in percent matching and you got an amazing amount of money

>no argument
but that's clearly an argument, supported by an article. A nice place as in city is an important factor to take into account when deciding where to live and work
we were talking about california in general.
well memed, good argument
Honestly you soulless drones are absolutely disgusting, none of you will ever make it so I don't know why the need to LARP so much. Is this how a typical californian copes with their poor life choices and having to spend their youth living in trucks?

Attached: adsd.jpg (1005x816, 146K)

what was your gpa?

Nice projection. People who live in suburbs are the most soulless people on earth. It's easy to see why their opiod rates are so high.

Clickbait fake news. He could easily afford housing if he wanted.

damn this lady must be annoying coworker since those grados are open and leak sound as fuck

Is it really as bad?
How large of a threat to democracy and civil liberties in general big tech is if they are run by subversive leftwingers?

Attached: james-damore[1].jpg (960x720, 81K)

>muh cherry picked screenshots of clickbait emotional articles matter more than actual math
I can see why you couldn't make it in California

>if you don't live in a commiefornia shithole you must live in some suburb or literal wasteland!
excellent argument
>f-fake news

post some of your professional sepples, OP

>calling California communist when it voted against the Russian plant
Kek, good one. If anything, all the red states are communist.

I'm sorry you can't do simple math. If housing was so unaffordable why aren't company parking lots full of these trucks?

3.2 I think
Although the people running the machine have liberal leanings, they have zero control over it. I think there is a bigger question about the impact tech has on democracy in general.

imagine defending some shithole because you feel like you're still "going to make it" and need to larp as much as possible to not end up hanging yourself, lmao the american zoomers are absolutely pathetic
I knew this board was filled with children, but jesus this is getting worse than /v/

You're such a brainlet you take one random Google employee living in a truck to save money to mean that all FAANG engineers are somehow living in trucks. Mega brainlet.

How is software development in more conservative states such as Idaho, New Hampshire, etc. I.e. white states?

>no arguments or proof to any counter claims
excellent discussion fellas. Now excuse me, I have more important things to do than argue with a bunch of college freshmen who are still begging to gobble up on Google dick

>California is a shithole, I d-didn't want to save $100,000 a year anyways!
Found the guy who couldn't fizzbuzz and is never going to make it. COPE

At least we can do basic addition and subtraction, and understand the difference between anecdotes and data.

stop pretending you aren't working in mcdonalds and that your selftaught #koding is going to save your miserable excuse for a life

>Now excuse me, I have more important things to do
Understandable. It is daytime in Russia.

not gonna post code cuz it'll doxx me but I am pretty tame with C++.

I value readable code and readable debug messages (so I avoid crazy template magic)

I try to keep things as value driven and functional as possible and only cock the C++ handgun if it makes life substantially easier (an example of this would be marking member variables mutable or using const_cast) but mark it with a comment

I use the STL by default and only swap to hand rolled versions after thorough benchmarking showing they are the bottleneck

>liberal
Totalitarian left. Google even cooperates with China to accommodate their censorship standards.
archive.fo/hmUa5

Attached: 802a58950WExNAM.png (927x701, 78K)

is reddit down again so you came here?

I said post code, not spew your boring style guide, you worthless hack.

>he got burned so hard he had to come back
Vladimir, don't you have some Maga memes to spread on Twitter?

Proof was given to you several times.

FAANG
Make 220k after few years experience. Takehome after taxes 140k (probably higher since a lot of income is capital gains
Spend 60k on expenses
Save 80k

Non-FAANG
Make 100k gross after few years experience
Takehome 70k
Spend 30k
Save 40k

Who has more money after 10-20 years? The guy putting 40k/p.a. into index funds or the guy putting 80k/p.a.? Who has more financial security? Who has more options of which places they can retire to?
You literally cannot refute this.

>he got burned so hard
by what? I don't care about the american presidency, much less about who's winning in your eternal politics turmoil
The only thing I care about is people constantly shilling a shithole which promotes borderline slavery and turning people into drones because college grads are too dumb to realize they're being exploited

>b-but there is poo in the streets in a city 30 miles away!

who's more likely to be burnt out and kill themselves after 10 years?

How many hours do you work per week?

The one who doesn't have 35 hour weeks, access to an onsite gym, and free food.

Have sex

>35 hour weeks
rofl
>come to work at 9am
>leave at 7pm
>this is somehow 35 hours a week
so you don't work at all certain days?

that's more of a finance meme. you're conflating high paying jobs
30-40 depending on the week

I come to work at 10 and leave at 5. Stop projecting just because you are incompetent and need more time to finish your assigned tasks.