/hsg/ Home Server General

Home server thread
poorfags weekend edition

NAS is how most people get into this. It’s nice have a /comfy/ home for all your data. Streaming your movies/shows around the house and to friends is good feels. Repurpose an old desktop, buy a SBC, or go with cheap used enterprise gear. Lots of options and theres even a flowchart. Ask.

/hsg/ is about learning and expanding your horizons. Know all about NAS? Learn virtualization. Spun up some VMs? Learn about networking by standing up a pfsense box and configuring some vlans. Theres always more to learn and chances to grow. Think you’re godtier already? Setup openstack and report back.

>What software should I run?
install gentoo. Or whatever flavor of *nix is best for the job or most comfy for you. Jellyfin to replace netflix, nextcloud to replace googlel, ampache to replace spotify, the list goes on and on. Look at the awesome selfhosted list and ask.

>Datahoarding ok here?
YES - you are in good company. Shuck those easystores and flash IT mode on your H310. All datahoarding talk welcome.

>Do I need a rack and all that noisey enterprise gear?
No. An old laptop or rpi can be a server if you want.

>A T T E N T I O N:
>The /hsg/ wiki is up!
hsg.shortlink.club/

Please expand it, also don't use your real name or any password when you register. Preferable use cock.li or something anonymous. Or just email the admin with the username and password you want.

>Links
server tips: pastebin.com/SXuHp12J
github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted
old.reddit.com/r/datahoarder
labgopher.com
reddit.com/r/homelab/wiki/index
wiki.debian.org/FreedomBox/Features
>Chat
irc.rizon.net #_hsg_
riot.im/app/#/room/#homeservergeneral:matrix.org

previous thread:

Attached: hsg_1.jpg (1163x504, 211K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Syba-SY-ENC50094-eSATA-Dock-Support/dp/B01J4NPFRQ/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=4 bay hdd dock&qid=1558098596&s=gateway&sr=8-13.
hsg.shortlink.club/
amazon.com/Red-2TB-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G
amazon.com/Red-2TB-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B07PGWXQCM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

first time posting in this thread, about to buy my first home server. Settled on a HP GL380 G7 server.

>Dual Xeon E5530
>48GB ECC RAM
>HP SmartArray P410i 256mb
>2x HP 300GB 10K SAS HDD
>1x HP 72GB 10K SAS HDD
>ILO3 remote management port
>DVD-rom
>2x 460 W powersupply
>Rackrails

Paying 100 euros for it. Anything I should read up on, be prepared for, and fun projects to use with it?

Probably a stupid question

If i install Debian or OMV with virtual box but onto a physical drive not a virtual drive. Could i then just plug the HD into a different PC and have a functional OS?

not bad my man.
I'd upgrade the CPUs tho, those old Xeons are pretty cheap nowadays. I consider E56xx to be the minimum because of power savings and AES-NI

Attached: hsg-20190507.jpg (2962x1500, 1.94M)

probably power consumption for that hardware
theres a good deal of fun ideas in the links section of op but maybe a git/svn server and build slave
you'd have to launch it from virtual box i would assume. why not install openmediavault in a lxc/nspawn/docker container instead?

Just throwing this out there. If anyone wants to consider using a hdd dock to free up space in their case or if it's not big enough or need to expand drives and is considering options, I've been using this amazon.com/Syba-SY-ENC50094-eSATA-Dock-Support/dp/B01J4NPFRQ/ref=sr_1_13?keywords=4 bay hdd dock&qid=1558098596&s=gateway&sr=8-13. Works pretty good.

nice
what speeds are you getting over the usb?

Attached: 1521684823434.gif (457x461, 67K)

it'll work if you do it right, I'm assuming virtualbox supports passing the hdd through to the VM. If you have a filesystem on the disk and just store the virtual disk on it, then no

hold on let me connect one and I'll take a picture of a pasting to the drive.

It's between 97 and 104 mbps. on this one.

Attached: cs.png (565x336, 18K)

raid?

the 99$ one has raid support. I got the like $69 dollar one because I know I don't need/use raid.

alright thats acceptable speeds then
you could easily set up or extend an existing snapraid array with that too if you want parity
thanks

Power consumption is not that big of an issue for me luckily. But how much consumption should I expect? I'll have a look at some CPU's to upgrade it with. Current plan is to use it as a compute node for a NAS (planning on 16TB) and to move the game servers for me and my buddies I'm hosting on my windows 10 PC to it, seeing as how Windows 10 is unstable af, so I think for now it should be powerfull enough

probably around or below 100w under low/reasonable load is my best guess but do some measurements at some point

thats not too bad compared to my Skylake X rig, lol

dont assume im right though, its a guess based on my average of around 60w on pic related

Attached: 2019-05-17-154741_581x330_scrot.png (581x330, 30K)

getting the itch to buy a decent gpu and setup a NL training server
but i really shouldn't

Attached: 1463930928711.jpg (807x659, 42K)

WHO IS OP SLUT?

What's some productive shit I can have my server do 24/7 that isn't mining. Starting to not find a reason to have my server being on 24/7
It has 2 RX560s and 16gb of ram

Parts for new server in next week. How does Jow Forums feel about proxmox over Ubuntu/debian with zfs on root.

proxmox is very nice. even if you are just using one VM, it's nice to have the ability to expand and the performance hit from virtualization is minimal

damn dude at least take out those GPUs if you're not doing anything with it

feetsies

Attached: 2.jpg (795x889, 398K)

If you don't have a reason to run it 24/7, don't! I don't see why it has to be more difficult than that.

Generally do SW RAID, should work fine on usb3 uasp setups.

You pretty much can't trust most HW RAID dock things with not fucking up their recovery process, having RAID level migration and other management functions, or even having a successor model on the market when they fail.

i'd honestly not recommend real raid unless you desperately need the availability and speed since regular 3.5" r/w speeds will saturate a gigabit connection and you cant access files without all disks available
snapraid is more suited for backup and storage, supports different size disks, doesnt require all drives spinning or working to access data on individual drives, etc..

start making new OP images, you somewhat tasteful pervert

Attached: 6789545784587.png (278x300, 81K)

How does RAID-5 work on an external USB dock? Is the USB controller handling it all? I'm not sure if I would entrust these all my data.

But yes, I'd love such a dock.

Attached: 1558035334656.gif (200x234, 2.85M)

I have no idea, I didn't get the raid one.

how do i backup my gigs of files?

already experiencing some data loss

Attached: hdd.jpg (400x400, 23K)

More details please. Well obviously by copying them to a working drive? If it already happens it is too late to cry for help.

I don't know if this is correct advice, but keep the drive powered on if it is currently running. Some drives don't even spin up again if they fail self tests.

im not hopeful for saving the data, i just want to prevent it from happening again, by starting some kind of backup plan

i have Gigs of stuff, probably 600 GB that i want to protect and make sure i dont lose. not sure how to go about it.

>Make a copy on a second drive and put it in a shelf
>Burn it to Blu-rays or DVDs
>Pay for cloud storage and copy it there

Not sure if this is the "best" solution but I keep a nas spinning 24/7 with bitrot protection, ecc, raid, and a battery backup. Then I have 2 external drives I back that up every 2ish weeks or after I add alot of important data. Keep 1 drive at home and 1 at a remote location.

My shitbox. Just shoved 6 more drives I found laying around at home in there and now I have a 22TB frankenstein's monster volume thanks to mhddfs. Btw it runs ubuntu server :^)

Attached: IMG_20190515_220140.jpg (4000x3000, 1.29M)

Also got caught off guard by how fucking heavy this thing is with all these drives, so I dropped it and snapped the front panel clean off. It's now attached by nothing but duct tape and cables.

Attached: IMG_20190515_220130.jpg (4000x3000, 1.18M)

I like it.

Attached: poweredge_array.jpg (2000x1333, 327K)

That chipped off paint still triggers me. But hey, cool clamshell case!

>BIG NAS
Please tell me there's a -T off camera.

Any good systems to use as a Plex server? Or setups?

Sorry for the long text..

Hey I'm looking for some advice. I wanna buy myself a 4k TV. Though I don't watch TV; I wanna use it for my Nintendo Switch, BluRay Player and for watching Anime/Videos and playing Steam games. Now the Switch and BluRay Player won't be the problem, but I don't know how I should handle the latter ones. The TV would be in a seperate room, so I could only use a HDMI cable for picture+sound. My idea would be to connect a Raspberry Pi to the TV and use its browser for Anime/Videos and the Steam Link software for the games. That way I could connect game controllers and mouse/keyboard to the pie without having to buy wireless stuff.

Does this idea make sense so far? I'm mostly worried about the pi not being fast enough for the 1080p videos and game streaming through Steam Link or do I worry for nothing here?

Attached: hsg.jpg (1280x1148, 849K)

so, what would a /hsg/entooman put on a blog?

His dragon dildo and butt plug reviews.

>not having one
remember where you are

Attached: Locon.png (400x400, 223K)

B C A C H E F S
C
A
C
H
E
F
S

I'm not unhappy with the revival of hsg, but who are you? I thought you guys rubbed each other off on the discord/matrix monstrosity.

>hsg.shortlink.club/
This is a pretty gay domain though.

Attached: nature.nchworld - BubDx-8luNZ_BubDx54FR9c.jpg (1080x1228, 121K)

Can someone explain the difference to be between these two WD Reds?

amazon.com/Red-2TB-NAS-Hard-Drive/dp/B008JJLZ7G

amazon.com/Red-2TB-Internal-Hard-Drive/dp/B07PGWXQCM

I mean, I guess it's 256MB cache vs 64MB cache. Does this make a significant difference in server performance? I thought most people stored all their cache on an SSD?

Going from 64 to 256 cache I did notice a difference in small file transfer speeds, and a "burst" in larger files. For $2.00 personally I would go for the 256