Why isn't there something like C++Lite that is just C++ with only core features and very little bloat

Why isn't there something like C++Lite that is just C++ with only core features and very little bloat

Attached: zagorgta.jpg (1280x720, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

codegolf.stackexchange.com/questions/1956/generate-the-longest-error-message-in-c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Define the core features.

are you retarded?

Do you mean C with virtually zero bloat and you only use what's needed?

About 1% of modern C++

Seen in feature films such as "I can't believe it's C++", "Safety zone" and "Used by 99% of people"

Examples, please.

Really just C with classes and stl

There already is. Its called c with classes or "c++ 98"

C++ standard libraries don't contain bloat. The entire language does not contain bloat. You only pay for exactly what you use.

But wouldn't it be much easier for the compiler to catch all sorts of errors were the language spec trimmed down to the 1% that is used by most programmers

No, it wouldn't even be easier for humans since old standards = 10x SLOC without benefit. Nowadays it's easier to understand what the hell is going on in a program.

It's called Rust.

Lol

Elaborate.

>Really just C with classes and stl
What does STL stand for again?

Rust is a meme that gives you exactly 0 benefits over traditional programming languages

That's if you are actually able to program

So? Replace C++ with Rust and you invariably get safer and easier to read programs. The rest who "are actually able to program" will have no problems picking up the language anyway.

>easier to read programs
wrong

Wrong how?

>your opinion
wrong

>Replace C++ with Rust and you invariably get safer and easier to read programs
How about you suck the shit out of my ass instead

>safer
unsafe {}

Attached: 1556812098242.jpg (625x833, 110K)

Hmm.... no.
>grep unsafe

>grep unsafe makes unsafe code safe
Brilliant

>STL
That shit is the cause of 99% of the arcane error messages when compiling

It's either that or inventing your own string and vector

Only OOP semantics and vtable shit. No exceptions, no templates (metaclasses from C++20 is ok).

That just means linker error, check your template instantiation.

This is being worked on - type strictures for templates that prevent them being instanced with types that don't fulfill requirements (called concepts) are coming in C++20, I think.

Also, I heard C++ people were trying to duplicate some of rust's safety features in a set of templates- the GSL (guideline support library).

It's called C.

You don't have to use anything of that. For a long time I used c type strings instead of the std::string and never had any problems.

>Zagor
u jebate koja ideja

Sto mu gromova

You do realize C++ doesn't force you to use any of its features or paradigms right?

Hell, you can still write C99-style code and it's perfectly valid

Literally ignore the best features of C++ and turn it into a worse C#

C++ error messages are fine you're a faggot.

>Why isn't there something like C++Lite that is just C++ with only core features and very little bloat
There is its called C++ and aren't required to use all features. If you truly want to abandon bloat try tcc (tiny c compiler).

Laughing Out Loud

codegolf.stackexchange.com/questions/1956/generate-the-longest-error-message-in-c

>aim the gun at your foot
>be surprised when you blow it off

You have it backwards. Keep templates and drop inheritance. Then make arrays not decay and you have a perfect C style language.

You want C then

I don't get the appeal of the C with classes approach. You can already achieve a good amount of encapsulation with C

Is it just about inheritance?

There is. It's called "not using features you don't want to use".

C++ encapsulation is stronger, more efficient and (in and of itself) doesn't really add much complexity.

How is it stronger and more efficient? I can't see much difference other than having to make a separate source & header for each "class"

The ability to make members private without the indirection of a forward declared pointer is a major advantage for efficient encapsulation, along with constructors.

Fair enough I guess I've been working with C exclusively for too long to notice that it's missing anything

Rust already exists

>c++
>bloated
Do your own research and form your own opinion instead of listening to neets on here

Just use C bro

>use rust
>shit is broken somewhere
>check unsafe code because you know something went wrong there
>use c peepee
>shit is broken somewhere
>any single line of code can potentially be the cause
is it really that hard to understand?

You want the D