Is it good? If not, what is the best router/what router should one get?

Is it good? If not, what is the best router/what router should one get?

Attached: F2020D56-8193-439C-941E-7C536DCC4021.jpg (1050x515, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Pfsense

Not that one. I mean if you never plan to go past a 400mbps package sure. But fuck a router that caps at 400 with only 4 channels. Eat my ass

Good for what?

More spatial streams will allow more clients, or singular clients with larger antenna configurations to get faster speeds.

But most client devices are 1x1, or 2x2. With 3x3 or 4x4 devices mainly being professional devices, or things like macbooks.

Also something to keep in mind, wifi radio power output is capped by LAW to 1w of power or less. So, no matter what, you're never gonna be able to buy a router that is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful in terms of signal power output (IE the range).

Antenna designs can boost the range, as well as more advanced beam forming, but for the most part, if you want to cover a wider area with wifi, you simply need to buy more routers/access points, there is no singular router that will "just werk" in many cases.

Aren't you fine with some $35 openwrt router?

>Good for what?
Just in general. Is it good quality, does it do its job well, does it have a reputation as generally being one of the better routers or is it generally seen as crap. Etc etc.

>Also something to keep in mind, wifi radio power output is capped by LAW to 1w of power or less
What about those large ''business routers''? Those look far more powerful than your average home router.

/thread

>What about those large ''business routers''? Those look far more powerful than your average home router.
they will generally have more stable firmware and good feature support like VLAN tagging and shit, but no, by LAW they still only output 1w of power on the radios.

They DO tend to support more simultaneous client connections, for like a busy auditorium, or a hospital. But you still need a shit ton of access points scattered throughout a building in order to provide full wifi coverage.

So what is the law exactly? Only 1W per radio or is it per router? Could you put multiple radios in one router and be fine by law?

Its 1w per radio, but multiple radios wont give you a multiplication of range.

Basically at the end of the day, if you're covering a large area, you need multiple devices.

I can have multiple 5mbps download from one router?

5ghz is a meme. just try using it for yourself. it's only useful if you live in a house that has walls made of paper.

I assumed it was something like that, thanks for clearing it up. What really limits the wattage on the radiois though? Like is the hardware itself made to not be capable of going above 1w, or could you theoretically ''overclock'' them to run above that?

This

mikrotik.com/product/rb4011igs_5hacq2hnd_in

cringe

>1.73gbps with 4 streams
>every laptop only has 2 stream cards

pointless

Not every laptop, many workstation class laptops have 3x3 cards.

Maybe you have a desktop in a place where your router cant be thus forcing you to use wifi

True unfortunately, only useful if its in the same room your using the device in

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

fuck off incel

I finally upgraded to AC wifi last year from N which I had since 2008, so it's like 10 yrs between router upgrades for me.

My DIR-825 from 2008 running openwrt still beats a heck of a ton of cheap consumerist routers.

have had pic related for a couple years running OpenWRT and no need to upgrade until i get at least half-gig internet

Attached: fllinksys1200ac.jpg (1280x720, 87K)

>5ghz is a meme. just try using it for yourself. it's only useful if you live in a house that has walls made of paper.

I'm getting pretty good use out of my 5GHz for devices further away with a TP-Link wifi extender mounted at the top of a wall in the middle of the house set to receive only the 5GHz band and transmit only 2.4GHz.
Gives me a high performing 2.4GHz signal for far devices and a pretty fast and reliable Ethernet cable output for my TV so Netflix and media server functions all work great.

oof