What's the point of having Linux?

what's the point of having Linux?

why all programmers and code monkeys have linux instead of Windows?

is windows for normies? am I a fuckin normie then?

Attached: apus_confused.png (612x491, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whycare
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justlinux
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#tools
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#somanyright
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
businessinsider.in/miscellaneous/these-are-the-top-25-people-who-will-have-the-most-influence-in-tech-this-year-according-to-a-survey-of-over-30000-developers/slidelist/69284184.cms
youtu.be/8gw0rXPMMPE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Linux is an OS made for programmers and IT professionals while Windows is an OS made for drooling retards and office drones.

Linux is a kernel used in the Android OS.

Windows tries to make easy stuff easier, Linux tries to make hard stuff easier.

programming on wangblows is torture

Linux is the name of the kernel that Linus Torvalds developed starting in 1991. The operating system in which Linux is used is basically GNU with Linux added. To call the whole system “Linux” is both unfair and confusing. Please call the complete system GNU/Linux, both to give the GNU Project credit and to distinguish the whole system from the kernel alone.

This is what autism looks like.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1556946286511.png (721x972, 129K)

why

doesn't python on windows?

Linux is more used than Windows.

the kernel is the only thing that matters. You think anyone uses windows because it comes with paint?

You mean NT?

Xfce/Xorg/systemd/GNU/Linux

try handling environment variables in a large project. now try making that agnostic from the system (protip: you can't).

Linux is the superior OS compared to NT.
>Sorry, that didn't sound right.
GNU/Linux is superior to windows.
>There. That's better.
I think I get where you interjection fellows are coming from. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

Surely you mean systemd/Linux

>You mean NT?
Windows is made by one company and it's they who decide how to call their product.
GNU/Linux, or as I call it: linux, doesn't have one organ to decide desktop operating systems name. While RMS spergs about his relevance and wants glory and fame for GNU, wants to be acknowledged for his past works, doesn't mean he has right to decide how linux desktop OS will be called.
While technically GNU/Linux is correct name, majority of people doesn't care about technicality and calls it simply: linux.
Call it GNU/Linux, but this just shows how ignorant and anti-social you are.

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#many
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#whycare

>Windows is made by one company and it's they who decide how to call their product.
And GNU is made by one foundation.

>we're the most important because we say so, but we all you to include others after us
ok

that's a long way to say
>acknowledge GNOOO, plz!
GNU isn't only part of linux, most important part is kernel, if not kernel GNU would be lost in time
thank to linux that GNU is so relevant

You got it.

>GNU isn't only part of linux, most important part is kernel, if not kernel GNU would be lost in time
>thank to linux that GNU is so relevant
No, it is thanks to GNU that Linux is relevant. GNU was far, far, far bigger than Linux in 1993.

Linux IS a kernel. GNU isn't a part of Linux. Linux can be used in GNU (or Android, or embedded devices or whatever).

>was
exactly
>linux can be used WITH GNU (or android or embedded devices or whatever)
yeah, that's what I mean, GNU is just a small part, just a software bundle

>exactly
Yes, that is my point. GNU gave Linux its start. So be thankful. You don't call Android Linux do you?

>GNU gave linux its start
wrong
everyone realized how good linux is, so they picked it up
if GNU gave linux it's start, why don't you call linux desktop OS GNU/systemd/Linux? because systemd gives GNU and linux it's start for desktop (or GNU/Xorg/Linux)

>everyone realized how good linux is, so they picked it up
lol no. Linux only got picked up by GNU because it was licensed under the GPL in 1993. You have any idea what you're talking about? Linux needed so much work, and the GNU project poured a lot of time into making Linux usable for GNU.
>why don't you call linux desktop OS GNU/systemd/Linux? because systemd gives GNU and linux it's start for desktop (or GNU/Xorg/Linux)
Because I just say GNU, which is the name of the OS as a whole. Just as Android is Google's OS that uses Linux.

The GNU project started the GNU system in 1983. It has been called like thst forever. Why should it be called systemd, xorg, linux or firefox?

Attached: 1525064086026.jpg (500x375, 24K)

Arguing with GNUtards is pointless, they claim that even alpine should be called GNU/Linux, despite not using GNU software.

based

>despite not using GNU software.
Why would using GNU software be required for the OS being GNU? Free software is modular by design. To be GNU it just has to be a fully free UNIX clone with lineage back to the GNU project, which began in 1983 at MIT.

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#justlinux
Maybe you should read the whole FAQ before you make further false statements.

>lol, no
if linux was so bad, why didn't they went with hurd? hurd is older than linux
let's see where hurd is now... lmao
>Because I just say GNU
GNU is software bundle, GNU project did not created linux, they have no right to name it.
pretty much this is how it all looks like:
>majority of the world calls it simply: linux
>hurr durr, we at GNU must be acknowledged!
then ignorant linux ricers like you picks it up and instead of ignoring this and calling it like everyone else (linux) and going on with your life on more important tasks corrects everyone
>ackktlually, it's GNU/Linux or just GNU

you're retarded, honestly
because
- GNU is software bundle
- GNU would be as popular as hurd if not linux
- linux can and is used without GNU and if not GNU back then, someone else would make same (or better) tools
- linux is more important than GNU (for the sole reason, that linux doesn't depend on GNU)

Are you that dude that thinks computers should be easy, like TV?

>if linux was so bad, why didn't they went with hurd? hurd is older than linux
I didn't say it was bad. It just needed work.
>GNU is software bundle
Easy way to spot a retard. You're confusing the GNU coreutils with the GNU project. Frankly, an amateur mistake.
>then ignorant linux ricers like you picks it up and instead of ignoring this and calling it like everyone else (linux) and going on with your life on more important tasks corrects everyone
This is just stupid shit that I can't even respond to.

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#tools

can you stop posting this shit thanks

>ignoring the point, that majority of world calls it simply linux
that's how you spot someone who was in their basement too long
there's only one cure for you: have sex

The majority of the world is wrong about a lot of things, tranny.

Why tho. All your questions are answered here. gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html or - do you want to keep knowing GNU's actual standpoints better then GNU themselves?

gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#somanyright

You seem to have mistaken gnu's standpoint for reality

>tranny
>implying this isn't GNU/Linux or just GNU thing
kek
>majority of the world is wrong about a lot of things
yeah, go and change all these wrong things, or adapt to society and know better what is what, but go to their level, because they are the majority
you sound like you haven't spoken to someone irl in a long time, try it

same goes for you

>kek
You used the tranny meme.
>yeah, go and change all these wrong things, or adapt to society and know better what is what, but go to their level, because they are the majority
>you sound like you haven't spoken to someone irl in a long time, try it
Is this supposed to be English?

Linux looks very interesting, even if some of the screen colours and menu options appear to be a little out of the ordinary. But you are missing a vital point, a point which takes some experience and depth of knowledge in the field of computers. You see, when a computer boots up, it needs to load various drivers and then load various services. This happens long before the operating system and other applications are available. Linux is a marvellous operating system in its own right, and even comes in several different flavours. However, as good as these flavours are, they first need Microsoft Windows to load the services prior to use. In Linux, the open office might be the default for editing your wordfiles, and you might prefer ubuntu brown over the grassy knoll of the windows desktop, but mark my words young man – without the windows drivers sitting below the visible surface, allowing the linus to talk to the hardware, it is without worth. And so, by choosing your linux as an alternative to windows on the desktop, you still need a windows licence to run this operating system through the windows drivers to talk to the hardware. Linux is only a code, it cannot perform the low level function. My point being, young man, that unless you intend to pirate and steal the Windows drivers and services, how is using the linux going to save money ? Well ? It seems that no linux fan can ever provide a straight answer to that question !

>knows tranny memes
ehem...
>is this english
yeah, have sex

fallacious trap, ishygddt
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

That's the one.

I didn't know that Stallman actually browsed Jow Forums

>what's the point of having Linux?
freedom
customization
not constantly being spied on
not having your files randomly deleted by a forced beta test update
feeling superior to others

>why all programmers and code monkeys have linux instead of Windows?
linux was designed for programming and usually programmers find a terminal to be comfy. it's not bogged down by years (and GiBs) of worthless spaghetti code and obscure limitations just so some company somewhere can continue to run a dot matrix printer on modern hardware.

>is windows for normies?
>am I a fuckin normie then?
yes and yes

Attached: 1462037191090.jpg (768x434, 96K)

Just ask the OS?
>$ uname --operating-system
or
>$ uname --kernel-name
should give the desired information.

If you call it GNU or GNU/Linux, then you're probably identifying yourself with RMS
a virgin loser, who desperately seeks to be acknowledged by the world

Sorry, I use busybox and musl

I wonder who made that tool...
now
$ cat /etc/os-release
NAME="Arch Linux"
PRETTY_NAME="Arch Linux"
ID=arch

Or one of the 25 most important people in tech businessinsider.in/miscellaneous/these-are-the-top-25-people-who-will-have-the-most-influence-in-tech-this-year-according-to-a-survey-of-over-30000-developers/slidelist/69284184.cms

you seem to be lost, ppl talk about gnu and linux

there is no point, its just a meme

You guys aren't talking about the windows new terminal.
Also, does it mean I don't have to install Linux now?

youtu.be/8gw0rXPMMPE

>Also, does it mean I don't have to install Linux now?
Linux is merely a kernel.

With WSL 2 you will get the actual Linux kernel in Windows, yes.

>the actual Linux kernel
as opposed to the Linux that isn't a kernel?

Opposed to what Microsoft told users when they released WSL 1, which did not contain Linux, but they called it Linux anyway.

just like people who make music use apple computers
it's just a giant meme

>I want to be like these guys!
lmao
grow up

>that post
>hello_darkness.webm
lord not again

The linux that is a software distribution based on the linux kernel, as it commonly referred to, yes.

What? Try that again.

>itt idiots argue over semantics
This is why I can’t take the Linux or GNU community seriously

You know full well what I'm saying.

old wsl was just gnu on a layer for nt
new wsl is gnu+linux in a vm

No, I don't.

>advocates for GNU
>posts this article with this line in it: "In 1991, Linus Torvalds created Linux, the free and open source operating system"

Attached: 1547150196825.gif (500x500, 2.41M)

No, you choose to pretend you don't because you don't like it.

>what is free software culture

It isn't even English. Just try again, but really think about it.

Now look at RMS' part

>article is contradicting itself, so it's OK

Attached: 1544263473258.png (831x960, 563K)

I refuse to use GNU acronym until someone tells me what the G standa for.

GNU. It's a recursive acronym.

You seem like you don't understand
what does letter G stand for in acronym GNU

Unacceptable answer. The G should mean something. If thats the case, they could've used any letter in that place which is just stupid. That G means something and is there for a reason, and I wont say it until I know what that is.

GNU. Learn what a recursive acronym is, pajeet.

see

>GNU
can you read, user? what does G stand for in GNU?
stop repeating the acronym and answer the question
does it stand for Gay?

Unacceptable answer. What does the G mean? How about I call it XNU? For XNU is not Unix. Has same amount of meaning: none. I refuse to muddy language with useless denotations.

ESL is a fucking nightmare.

Bing is not google xD

It literally stands for GNU. How much of a retard can you be to not get this?

GNU以外にシステムはありません。Linuxはそのカーネルの1つです。

It's open whereas windows is closed and corporate.
Linux is shit though, Mac OS is the only worthwhile OS right now.

>ask what G stand for in GNU
>says GNU
>calls others retarded
do you have a brain damage?

Well done, user, you broke them.

>ask what G stand for in GNU
>says GNU
Yes, because that is how it is.

Then it stands for nothing because it could be swapped out with anything.

Its literally useless filler language that carries no meaning.

this

hey

Attached: 1558021887431.gif (280x175, 1.95M)

>ask if he has a brain damage
>confirms it
OK, user, I guess we're finished here.

linux is an OS
call the cops i dont give a fuck