Is a cloud-based, streaming-only OS inevitable...

Is a cloud-based, streaming-only OS inevitable? Do home PCs have a chance of becoming dummy devices for a remote workstation?

Attached: windows-logo.jpg (1200x800, 51K)

pretty much the whole (proprietary) software industry is focused on making that happen. You get more money out of people with walled gardens and subscription models.

People use it in offices all the time.
Citrix seems to be the most popular choice here.

Even when you have an ultra fast fiber network it's absolute shit.
When you have anything less it's not even really usable for anything but the most basic software.

Not really, as long as there are hardware and software engineers that are Stallmanpilled.
There is a trend to make everything a 'cloud' service but I don't think regular consumers would enjoy the inconveniences a 'streaming-only OS' brings.

But what do you exactly mean though? What hardware would users use to interact with this OS?
The hardware would be running some kind of OS.

>Even when you have an ultra fast fiber network it's absolute shit.
We use citrix at work and nothing fucking works or is slow as shit.

That's already what Linux is doing with remote desktops.

>Dat 3.1 logo
Bullshit. That was not the logo. The 3.1 and 95 logo were the same.

Attached: Windows31.png (640x480, 17K)

>citrix
I don't know about Citrix, but I know that the (small) company my mother works for uses Windows' built-in remote desktop over ordinary Ethernet, and I've never heard her complain about that, which she'd usually do if something's wrong.

>I don't think regular consumers would enjoy the inconveniences a 'streaming-only OS' brings
I'm not so sure about that. Most normies I know hate their Windows PCs for being dogshit slow, and I don't blame them for that, since Windows Update tends to cause that. If they could have a streamed desktop that is maintained in the background by the service provider so that it could be snappy when they need it, I wouldn't be surprised at all of they'd enjoy that.

I'm pretty Stallman-pilled myself, and there are variants of a "streaming" future that I wouldn't mind. As long as I can run and maintain the server that the "streaming desktop" is coming from, I wouldn't necessarily have any problems with that. Having a centralized installation that could "stream" my session to any endpoint isn't at all necessarily a bad thing, and if anything a throw-back to the time-sharing era.

>I don't think regular consumers would enjoy the inconveniences a 'streaming-only OS' brings.
regular customers will eat whatever they're served no matter how shitty it tastes, because they lack the technical knowledge to change things about their devices, or the inclination to gain such knowledge. That or they're so locked-in that they have no alternative and they know it. This is particularly true of businesses.

>Jow Forums doesn't know what VDI is

more proof this board is hobbyist freetards who think programming is the holy grail

No

Too be fair, there's a difference between VDI in a business environment and cloud-based OS for home users.
It's like the whole Personal Computer thing is dying and we're moving back to glorified terminals similar to the 70s.

cloud is the fewchor
our vanishing liberties
computing is dead

I'm 100% certain a system like that would be far from snappy.

Never gonna happen considering that Fibre is available to less than 15% of the US and Continental Europe. And the pure infrastructure costs alone would make this the biggest money sink with no chance of ROI in the history of mankind. So no it won't happen.

That's because it's the Windows 1.0 logo.

Why though? If Google Stadia turns out even semi-workable for gayming-level latency, there's no reason whatsoever that a desktop experience couldn't work.

>If Google Stadia turns out even semi-workable for gayming-level latency
Too bad it was lagging to hell and back when the server was standing in the same fucking building as the presentation showing it off. Game streaming and OS streaming is improbable to say the least. Ask anyone that had the displeasure to use this shit before, it's a horrid experience.

I like how they tried to quarantine Vista.

>>Jow Forums doesn't know what VDI is
a miserable failure everywhere it's been tried?

The label's on the bottom

The graphic is wrong. Holy fuck kys.

i'd love to see them do it when half the US population still dont even have stable 10Mbit connection

Amazon Workspaces apparently works pretty well for the people who use it at my company
It was pretty slow and shitty in the beginning but the experience has improved greatly

it wont ever happen because they would have to roll out fiber to everyone to have that much bandwith. also games. onlive already tried streaming games and it failed.

actual type-i hypervised vms or even windows remote login sessions work just fine, citrix is bad but near bare-metal performance has been possible for years

not gonna happen in my GNU/Machine

Attached: 1530039755908.jpg (500x375, 111K)

>gayming-level latency

I tried a free trial of PSNOW a couple months ago and it wasn't that bad at all

I used to stream my gaming PC to my ultra shitty netbook to play AAA level games it can't even begin to install let alone play. "Cloud everything" is already a thing and has been for a long time. It just isn't all that popular because of telecom companies still gouging the shit out of customers for shitty bandwidth over shitty ancient infrastructure.

This thin/fat client shit rubber bands back and forth every decade or so. Yes, it's possible. No, it won't be permanent.

If internet connections get better for the average Joe in BFE there will be more cloud based stuff like that. Eventually, companies like IBM and Google will just have a cloud service where devices only powerful enough to play video, have input, and an internet connection will be used. Meaning personal tech can stagnate since you won't need hardly anything powerful at all (like 2005 level tech) to connect and use literal super computer processing power with latency low enough that no one will give a shit. It will all come down to how much companies will charge for it and what sort of data plans there are. The latter can make it huge or fizzle it out.

I have to use a VDI for work. It runs at 30fps, but at least I can put that Jow Forums recommended workspace program on it and spread out my shit.

The company I work at can't even get terminal workstations on the local network to run smoothly. I don't think I'll witness internet terminal only operating systems in my lifetime.

You mean a thin client, Zoomer? That’s nothing new.

>streaming
It's even worse than cuckoldry, do you also "lease" a car instead of buying it to own?

what the fuck does this mean

When I saw the direction windows was heading after 7 with more and more ad and subscription bullshit I was like "fuck that" and finally switched from 7 to linux this year. I'm not renting shit go fuck yourself microsoft.

>paying for windows

Attached: 1452149062738.jpg (180x222, 10K)

Did I say anything about paying for windows 7? My copy was free but legal via MSDNAA when I was in college.

^

That explains it. I'm at work, so I'm on mobile and it must be cut off or something

Gas yourself, you worthless sack of shit.

based