>a fucking leafblower on chipset

X570 motherboards will be loud like an airplane, mark my words!

oslo what's the point of pci-e 4.0 now if there's absolutely not a single extension card that uses it?

Attached: msi768.jpg (768x768, 181K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-x570-design-build-power-demand
arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/as-pc-sales-shrink-the-gaming-pc-market-grows-faster-than-expected/
videocardz.com/newz/biostar-leaks-its-own-x570-racing-gt8-motherboard
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm going to stop buying MSI

I presume the pci-e 4.0 is to extend the longevity. Anyways it's obviously not worthy getting now.

>amd
>msi
>rgb
found 3 problems here

Dear gayboy
in 1995 people were asking what the fuck is the use of these USB ports if theres nothing we can plug into them

X470 or X570 for Zen 2?

>buying MSI motherboards

Hello zoomer. First time ever seeing boards with a chipset fan?

It's nothing to do with MSI. All X570 boards are expected to have a fan, and all the ones shown so far have had one.

>loud like an airplane, mark my words!
it doesn't have to be this way. If they just used heatsinks with actual fins exposed to case airflow there'd be no need for a fan, and the chipset would probably run cooler than current fanless ones, and at least as cool as these new fanned ones.

But that'd leave the mobo maker no space to slather marketing all over a flat surface that shows outward on the motherboard, so they don't do it. All this goes for VRM heatsinks too.

Attached: 1547709502297.jpg (640x640, 78K)

>defends MSi Motherboards
shill

older than you and yes i remember them

i also remember cold war but it doesn't mean i want it to back

Why not unscrew it all and set up your own custom radiator + good case cooling?

Nigger, in what world is it acceptable to have to make a custom block for your motherboard, and why the fuck would you ever do that? I'm just not going to buy dog shit motherboards if they're going to do dumb shit like that.

They cannot use tall radiator.
>implying a fan cannot be low rpm

you used to be able to do that, back in the early-mid 2000s a bunch of boards came with heatsinks that had weedy little fans that'd start rattling and dying within a year. But back then, you see, the mounting holes were a de facto standard. Every board had (approximately) the same hole spacing. Or the same spacing for those wire hooks that some P4 boards used. So there were a bunch of aftermarket chipsinks, including many passive ones, and you could just carefully squeeze the pins out/unhook the wires and put in a new one.

This isn't the case anymore, every board mounts its chipset and vrm heatsinks differently now, so aftermarket ones aren't a thing anymore, since it's impossible to make one that'd fit pretty much any board.

MSI boards either always have the pcie slot short, or the cpu slot for me. I've never had any other main board from any other company actually 100% shit itself after 3 months or so.

who /asrock/ team here

Well firstly, you're wrong since its perfectly possible to have a taller chipset sink, you just have to position it a bit farther down so that it doesn't foul long cards. This is even easier now since crossfire and SLI aren't really things anymore. Even when they were, people made tall passive chipsinks with bent heatpipes. I had one on an nForce 4 A64 board, the curved pipes kept it clear of my 7800GT.

Second, you're still wrong because its perfectly possible to make a low-profile heatsink that would do this job without a fan. You can see them on all sorts of server and workstation boards. The fact that they prioritize fin area instead of displaying a flat surface to the outside world greatly increases the amount of heat they can move.

Attached: 1549933037609.jpg (723x600, 626K)

I expect every single manufacturer to do that.
Just look for info on whether or not the fan can be disabled if you don't use M.2. which is the apparent only overheating factor before buying and you're fine.

The fan isn't for the M.2 cards
The fan is for the X570 chipset itself which seems to have a power demand of 15W instead of the 6-8W of previous chipsets
pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-x570-design-build-power-demand

That was my point. IIRC the chipset doesn't consume too much unless it has to deal with M.2 devices, hence the fan

I'll buy whatever has the best power delivery for the 3850X.

Chipset watercooling when?

Asus

already exists

I wasn't defending anything. Fuck off, retard.

No you aren't and no you don't, zoomer. Or maybe you're just a boomer poorfag who could never afford a HEDT platform. There's nothing wrong with chipset fans. Or VRM fans for that matter, which many X299 boards have.

Most cases are full tempered glass with RGB and no breathing holes, so motherboard manufacturers are forced to bolt on a big loud fan on the chipset to keep it from exceeding rated temps. And god forbid someone had their PC shut down due to their chipset overheating in their glass furnace. Making a poor choice for their PC case would never occur to them.

This was alreadly a thing when northbridge wasnt inside the CPU.

>backtracking
get called out, scrub

>and no breathing holes
I haven't seen cases without fan mounts for airflow.

Having superior performance and double the core count of the i9 9900k in a consumer motherboard doesnt come in cheap

or maybe the chipset just gets stupidly hot mmmhhh? nah cant be

They're immensely gimped by tiny front intake vents in favor of moronic front windows as well as the disappearance of side intake fans though.

You're not wrong about proper heatsinks but do keep in mind that all Epyc server boards do not contain chipsets since Epyc is a SoC. Also with servers you know that there'll always be good fans to generate the necessary airflow for the heatsinks to work which you can't assume anymore with all the people that try to make a piece of art instead of a properly designed pc. Just look at all those water rgb fags that don't even realize that they still need extra airflow for other components outside of the cpu and gpu's.

Honestly I just want the plain green PCBs to make a comeback right now. Gaymur aesthetics where a mistake.

>Honestly I just want the plain green PCBs to make a comeback right now. Gaymur aesthetics where a mistake.
Gamers are legit the only thing keeping keeping the self-built PC market growing while PCs in general are on a decline
It's the reason you see the gamer aesthetics everywhere it's all the market is

nu Jow Forums hates active cooling.

chipset temps creep up fairly quickly and remain there. I think 50ºC is a bit too high for my tastes, for shitposting and or watching videos. And I have 2 frontal 200m intake fans directly blowing air to my horizontally mounted motherboard. It's not like I have bad airflow or anything.

Attached: Untitledhnt.png (460x142, 7K)

If it's a 15w chip then the mobo supplier will have to put a heat sink fan combo on it that will dissipate 15w of heat or they're liable to be sued. People here are likely to know that if they're not using certain parts of the chip the fan isn't needed, hopefully they're pwm fans and don't spin if not needed. But a 40mm fan mounting system would be nice, I use a noctua 40mm in one of my machines and it's as good as silent.

On the other hand just put some heat pipes on the motherboard linking the pwms and chip set like in the olden days. Modern fans are better and not becoming rattly shit as well.

and it also suffers from being close to the gpu. And the nvme drive also gets a tad hotter than it has any reason to be, just because some genius thought it was the best place to put it on. Right inbetween the gpu and the chipset.

M.2 SSD devices can use 1x PCI 4.0 lane instead of requiring 4x PCIe 3.0 lanes with weird-ass mixing.

Put a silent blower fan on the top most right corner for the vrm, a heatpipe linking it to the chipset, than a similar fan as in the OP for the chipset. Then I'm sold.

Can we blame nvme on m.2 drives. Even with sata, m.2 is over heating and ruining everything. It's meant for laptops, why did the sata foundation just fuck around and not develop a new standard for desktops and servers. SAS3/4 isn't one and there's a hole in the market for a sata replacement, preferably a sata like cable that carried a single pcie4 to what ever device that is shaped to be both small and dissipate heat instead of laptop cast offs.

tldr: I'm blaming the nvmeme for the heat.

At least it's not a gun?

Attached: features-shield_04.jpg (513x473, 110K)

How does that work? A pcie 3 device will handshake at pcie3 speeds but still use four lanes. To do what you describe would require a more complex switching system or plx chips. It's not a dynamic system where you can turn a pcie4 lane into two pcie3 lanes without a permanent chip and a change in the traces.

that "gun" actually had heatpipes.

I wonder why they all abondoned that design. It was everywhere, includind 2nd tier motherboards. heatpipes should never have gone away.

I don't like active cooling on motherboards because it's not always easy to get the right parts if the fan dies

>loud like an airplane
>12-15W
OP sucks balls

NVME has nothing to do with the fan
This is a misstep by AMD who took control of making their own chipsets instead of having asmedia design them
AMD is just showing their inexperience in making a chipset with a new chipset that consumes lots of power

Well still gun motherboards are silly, hell this one someone had at customs had their motherboard completely fucked due to it

Attached: assassin-1-820x420.jpg (820x420, 87K)

>asmedia lazy as fuck can't make the chip in time
>muh alot power
pci-e 4.0 retimers fault. not amd.

thie efans are freaking tanks. Dunno what you guise do to kill them off so easily. I have working fans from 2003. And I manhandled them all without remorse several times to do a deep clean/maintenance.

cost-cutting, probably.

also am I missing something here, didn't AMD say that X470 boards will support Zen 2 with a BIOS update? Why not just get one of those? Okay you might lose out on slightly-faster nvme, but nvme is fast enough as it is that it makes no real-world difference.

I know, I shat post about them. The other version though wasn't that bad. Apart from the hilarious aesthetics.

>SAS3/4 isn't one and there's a hole in the market for a sata replacemen
what is u.2

the retimers part eats 7W alone

if you're buying into the platform completely I'd always say toi ge the newest stuff, instead of going for bargains. I do suppose x470 will be of great value before they eol to give space for the newer chipset, but I personally wouldn't go for the bargains. Since i'm on a x470 myself, I can't find any justification to upgrade.

it's not about "killing them off so easily", its about the bathtub curve. you might get one that shits the bed just after you can't get a replacement part anymore. standardized fans can be replaced without an issue, but specialized ones are not so easy

Those tiny fans failed like clockwork on nforce 2 motherboards around the world

Never again. Do not buy any motherboard with a dumb 40mm fan

The heatsinks on that board are ironically better than eg. on any x470 board regardless of price.

>No you aren't
Found the child!

That's a lot of assumptions for something that isn't out yet.

While that is certainly true, you can always strap some other fan to the heatsink in some way and it'll do the job perfectly fine.

That's like asking why don't you cut and mount your own radiator on your car after the manufacturer encased it in an ad panel that restricts airflow.

ASUS: kek gamers and no support
MSI: ebin desine :DD
EVGA: no resources
Gigabyte: only choice left?
Others: cheapo poo in loo knockoffs owned by the above

> buying msi to begin with
what the fuck is wrong with you?
this based user gets it.

>PCs in general are on a decline

Attached: 1552122792386.png (800x729, 41K)

what cunt at customs does this?
Obvious gun too small,
Obvious not real gun,
Obvious no ammo in PCI ports...
They just wanted an excuse to wreck shit - there is no reason for this damage other than CUNTSTORMS...

Attached: serveimage.jpg (600x375, 40K)

The fuck is wrong with you?
I have 20 MSI mobo, never had an issue.

They are
Literally in the first fucking sentence
arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/as-pc-sales-shrink-the-gaming-pc-market-grows-faster-than-expected/
PCs overall are on a down trend, it's only the self-built PC market that shows growth but it is not enough to turn the tide

>They cannot use tall radiator.
They could do wthat old mobos do and have a heatpipe that goes from the chipset to a large heatsink somewhere else on the mobo.

shill

am not, just saying I never had problems with MSI mobo.
I tried an Asus one day. Not going to do that again.

norwegianigger detected

why not biostar!

videocardz.com/newz/biostar-leaks-its-own-x570-racing-gt8-motherboard

Attached: biostar-racing-x570gt8-1.jpg (768x1000, 148K)

Their GPU are trash but Mobos are fine.

What M.2? Where? I don't see any M.2 slot here.

that's a really dumb place to put a fan. hello eaten cables.

I'm not gonna touch a mobo with a fan. I hope x470 will still be readily available when zen 2 hits.

>what's the point of pci-e 4.0 now if there's absolutely not a single extension card that uses it?
What do you think came first, the chicken or the egg?

>X570 motherboards will be loud like an airplane, mark my words!
>What are EVGA motherboards
>What are some Asus Rampage Extreme motherboards

with even mediocre case air flow, that fan will hardly ever come on. Besides who gives a fuck about motherboards that aren't from Asus or ASrock? All other brands are dog shit. Buying MSI is literally "I ran out of money in my budget" tier. Don't even get me started on Gigashit. I'd use an ECS board over them.

x470

Asus has decent hardware, but holy fuck the malware. fuck that.

msi has shit hardware on mobos

EVGA.¨

asus is dogshit.

Attached: 1547449668785.png (500x600, 210K)

Chipset heatsinks and VRM cooling on motherboards today is fucked. It's restrictive and only there so they can put some branding/design on it.

Give me back heatpipes and a decent heatsink. I'll take a moderate chunk of copper too. At the very least, start making chipset cooling/mounting standard again.

nice strawman faggots
MSI has some gayming stupidity, but gigabyte and other brands definitely overpass them
kys

>oslo what's the point of pci-e 4.0 now if there's absolutely not a single extension card that uses it?
compute workloads on a crossfire will absolutely chocke to death the pcie 4.0

But he's right, normalfaggots use their smartphones for everything now.

weird thing it's all leaked x570 boards, all of them got a blower
I remember I had one of them cease on me back in 2005, put a case fan pointing at it for 3 more years, worked fine. Also MSI btw.

gigabyte got good hardware and layouts, they suck at BIOS support.
asus got average hardware but their BIOS support is pretty good.

because it's biostar

their gpus have literally the lowest RMA rates

>EVGA
FUCK give me an EVGA AM4 board right fucking now.

Attached: 1552493286350.png (765x624, 171K)

works fine in my pc :^)

Can't wait for zen2 for sole reason of cleaning my case and resettling everything. Not that much care for new gen either, 1600x is enough, just do not want to take everything out before I need to.

M.2 sockets are placed under the heatsink near the fan. You can unscrew the heatsink and place the nvme under them, then screw back the heatsink. Most likely this board has two m.2 slots.

is there a point to m.2? do they overheat these days?

msi has over the top threadripper boards
and shitty am4 boards

asrock has over the top am4 boards and decent bios support

asus is asus you are gambling no matter what

gigabyte use to be the only choice for amd nowdays they are total shit
biostar use to be decent for amd dont know what they are doing now

I don't use m.2 and I will probably use one when sata ssds are obsolete. So I don't see a point there yet. The component that overheats on m.2s are the some cheap controllers that manufacturers used not the memory cells that's why mobos nowdays usually include heatsinks like the one on OP's photo.

What would you think will be the downside of just getting an x470 for Zen2?