Why aren't you using DD-WRT?

Why aren't you using DD-WRT?

>sharing dd-wrt experiences thread

Attached: linksys-router-wrt32x-2.jpg (4435x3326, 1.43M)

cause i'm using pfSense.

Why aren't you?

Because I'm not a paranoid faggot

Attached: H70.jpg (710x400, 32K)

cause i'm using OpenWRT.

Why aren't you?

Cause im usin pic related

Attached: data:-2.jpg (255x197, 6K)

Just own an WRT3200ACM, almost bricked it playing with settings kek.
Anyone else disabling that third radio?
(pic not mine)

Attached: Linksys_WRT3200ACM_0022.jpg (4001x2669, 354K)

I have one. The new ones released promising open source when Cisco never actually told the open source community about it or worked with them. The firmware for the chipset was garbage when it first released and it took them 6+ months to release a better version. For ages the open source software did not support 2.4 ghz at all, the radio was just turned off. It works okay now but it was a shitshow for a long time. Apparently they only updated the stock software once and the current version is broken. Fuck cisco, fuck zombie Linksys and fuck you OP.

Attached: 1551156010734.png (3060x3960, 165K)

Cause is UI is ugly asf.
Nice thoughts bout tomato, but got used to DD-WRT..

I want this bad boy..
thoughts?

Attached: nebula1200_2_1.jpg (3888x2592, 624K)

Well.. you shouldn't expect the open source community to work for you faggot.
What have you done to collaborate with the open source project? Do you even fork bro?

I'm trying to hold off upgrading my router until there are cheap consumer routers with multiple 2.5/5gbps ports.

Or 10gbps ports, but i'm not picky.

The current crop of routers with 10gbps or 2.5/5gbps ports only have a SINGLE port, that can be configured for either WAN, or LAN.

I want my router to be capable of 2.5/5 or 10gbps WAN, AND LAN. Not one OR the other.

Why do you even need that speed?.. I mean.. you'll never use that speed at all..
Maybe in local transference.. But how many huge files do you have constantly transfer to speeds over the disk write speed (that most of consumer SATA SSD are like 450-550 MBps).

This is the reason #1 of why manufacturers never perfection their devices and instead you gon see octa core routers for what? for the sake of technology? What about some fucking stability, usability, optimization, long term support?..

Fuck americans

Because I'm direct lined into the isp modem

I just installed Linux on an old computer, stuck a wi-fi card and a second ethernet card in it, and set up a firewall, dnsmasq, and hostapd myself

>Why do you even need that speed?.. I mean.. you'll never use that speed at all..
I have two ISP choices, one has 1gbps fiber, the other has 2gbps fiber.

No reason to upgrade to the 2gbps service until I can get a router that is capable of utilizing 2gbps WAN connections AND 2gbps LAN connections simultaneously.

I don't need EVERY port to be 2.5/5gbps or 10gbps capable, but 1 for WAN and 1 for LAN would be fucking nice.

I already have several client devices at home with 2.5gbps NICs, just need a router that is capable and doesn't cost $1000+, or require me to build it myself with used server NICs.

Because I'm not running some hobbyist garbage anymore, but OPNsense.

Ask them to put your ISP router in bridge mode, and use yours... I what I did just 2 days ago.. is not THAT hard or impossible..

costs yearly subscription money for x86
greed

Do you notice a difference between 100Mbps and 1Gbps?
I can't truly tell the difference of jumping from 25 Mbps to 150 Mbps in a house with 13 simultaneous devices connected that I used to manage.
>they will sell you what you can't even get 100% of the juice for more money. And for those who can, will face the limits like monthly quotas

depends entirely on the ISP if they'll even allow it.

>an old computer, stuck a wi-fi card and a s
Good for you.. you're wasting a computer capability and the power juice that's drawing must be ridiculous

my household has 5 heavy internet users, we can easily notice the difference between 1gbps and 100mbps.

Also, my current ISP ONLY offers 1gbps, or 100mbps, so it's not like there is a reason to have any less than 1gbps when it's available.

As just ONE of the 5 heavy users, I use ~1.1TB/month without much difficulty. My highest was around 3TB in a single month for just myself.

Attached: 2019-05-17 19_02_39.png (493x297, 16K)

Because DD-WRT is a steaming pile of shit that hasn't seen a real update in years now. Do yourself a favor and run away screaming from this shitty outdated router firmware.

It's gonna be a while, most routers only really started getting gigabit a few years ago.

That's totally right.. but this is 2019.. you're not connecting to ADSL 256 Kbps bro.. ISPs of these days knows that people have their own devices and will instantly jump to another ISP that supports third party router use...

In the meantime you could just build one

Wtf are u doing?
Ripping illegally movies or setting a host server?
I'm talking about normal people with less than 350 Gb of usage per gateway bro..
>chrome 185 Gb.... really?

I just use a cable to my fiber media converter, no need for a router.

Using gargoyle openwrt

Are u Amazon's owner?

because openwrt is superior. also for linksys devices you wanna use gargoyle since its based on openwrt but optimized for the hardware

>Wtf are u doing?
I download pretty much all of my media

Attached: 2019-05-17 19_07_47.png (1035x130, 9K)

>and the power juice that's drawing must be ridiculous
It uses 30 watts. which at the electricity prices I pay is a whopping nine US cents a day. Oh dear, however shall I afford that? Surely I should have bought some low-power SBC or something to save like four of those cents every day. Why it might even pay itself off in under ten years, if I get it cheap enough, compared to the old i5 I already had gathering dust.

literally the last line
>or require me to build it myself with used server NICs

I know I COULD build something and get the job done, but it won't be something slim and well designed and near silent in operation.

It's simple to setup a desktop with some server NICs for 10gbe, but that's not what i'm looking for.

So you have no idea of how dd-wrt is like today... I get it.
My device gets monthly updates. I just fell in a up-to-date build completely stable.
For those edgy's, there's the option to continuously update to give a feedback to developers. For those who want stability, 4~ months old build is totally ok and fully functional.

Maybe you can try buying yourself a real life bro...
> Anime (dedicated) 4 TB

List 3 items why is superior and you can buy me.

In terms of "today" you are right. The last time I had a dd-wrt device was two years ago. But then I switched to a Unifi EdgeRouter and a Unfi Wireless AP and I never looked back. It's amazing having high end, yet reasonably priced equipment that just works. You should look into trying it.

Never told a thing about the cost of energy.. so joke's on you that you're wasting your money.. typical americunt
>HURR DURR IDC ABOUT ECOSYSTEM BECAUSE MUH MONEY

Normal routers draw less than 10watts..

Eh I've done stuff like that before in the past, just never really needed it in my current situation. I sure got a long ass coax though because my cable outlet's location

Anime II is also a dedicated 4TB

and an Anime III folder exists on the WDblack 5TB drive. As well as an Anime IV folder on the Media 4TB drive that i just picked up a few weeks ago.

The reason anime II is below the red is because i cleaned it up recently and deleted some stuff.

which is an insignificant amount of savings

I really want control and play with the capabilities.. like QoS rules, ratios, VAPs, DHCPs, etc..
But yes, it's amazing when devices are just setup and forget it, and simply works like charm..

Why aren't you using pfsense or opnsense?

Considering a waste of time setting up everything, keeping everything up to date, you also can't put that PC in a UPS and expect to last the same time as a normal router..
Why you brag about your money when you are using an old computer to act as a 30 bucks device?
>do you even pretend, bro?

Looks like you're doing illegal shit more than anime stuff..

>Open source
>Fully economical supported

>FISHY

I mean, besides downloading anime and movies and TV, nothing else is illegal.

I'll occasionally rip my own bluray collection, but I don't upload that stuff, i just download stuff.

not the guy you are responding to but i have openwrt running on a 3200acm.
proper plugin support for once. example; pi-hole like dns level adblocking integrated in the ui pic related.
better hardware utilization and optimization.
more features out of the box.

im contemplating switching over to gargoyle though aswell.

Attached: wXIr9pp.png (1920x1040, 142K)

Adblocking in integrated in DD-WRT and you can also set you custom firewall rules if you want to..
The other 2 reasons are ambiguous.. like you're not giving me a real comparison.
I can tell you dd-wrt is better than openwrt for example, but without a concrete reason, that's a complete garbage of statement..

Btw, I use dd-wrt because I got used to it.
Never came a real callenger to change my mind IMO

Because I'm using pfSense.

>waste of time setting up everything
why are you even in this thread if you don't enjoy tinkering and building stuff yourself? Buy your gaymen router and be done with it. And maybe move to a first-world country where the power doesn't go out all the time.

Lol, those posts about pfSense sound so bot..

It's open source lmao.

Why you even bother to post in a thread about sharing about dd-wrt experiences if you don't have one?
That's the attention whore behavior of a dork?

Also power outages is common in every country of the world. Even servers in americunt have emergency power systems, and I'm pretty sure that at least 40% of residential consumers have some sort of UPS even if they have no power outages.. Yeah, I know..

It sounds crazy...
But..
There's more countries out there in something called WORLD.

I'm using Tomato on a 10 year old linksys router. Has never skipped a beat.

So why they bother to make it so commercial like?
Why you promote it?
Or you're against some sort of NSA-FBI-whateveragencyofsurveillance or you're part of one of those...
>Pick your side.

Model?
Experiences?

You sound so retard.

>Cause is UI is ugly asf.
What are you trying to say? OpenWRT is basically a pre-configured Linux distro - learn to use it like one and UI doesn't matter.

Lurk more

> Why aren't you using DD-WRT?
Because I'm using EdgeOS, a fork of Vyatta.

Im using Tomato and it sucks. Routers in general still suck no matter what is on it.

because I use air os

Because I'm using based Mitrokit routeboard and based openwrt on my acess point.

okay bud

Don't tell that to someone who installed arch linux min install in 11 laptops several times until everything worked from the guts to the top as I wanted.
That's not the case of a damn router.. The "easy to use" point is a must when settings could change every day per necessity. I don't need to put a damn command in a remote console to know how many fuckers are chewing my bandwidth or to set multiple VAPs..

Lol, botarmy omg. So scared. You're hurting my feelings. Pls stop anonymous guy from internet.

Tru
I guess that only hardware specs grow for a marketing purpose for the masses.. everyone else should suck lonely developer's dick for a stable release of a firmware that makes u feel that your 250 bucks device is more useful..

I couldn't update DD-WRT since the DDNS bug a few years ago.
Also DD-WRT would soft brick every other version and get stuck, unable to flash or update any other version requiring a 30/30/30 reset to stock firmware and start from scratch.

I eventually flashed the routers that supported OpenWrt over and gave away the ones that can't.

However, my main router is now a RT-AC68U on AsusMerlin and I love it more I ever did with DD-WRT and OpenWRT.

>AsusMerlin
Looks like old school third party firmware..
Why it makes me rewind to Mandrake era?

Get raped and kill yourself, you retarded fucking faggot sack of nigger shit with down syndrome.

Oh no.. nonononono.. someone on internet has insulted me because my oppinion. no.. it can't be..

because my family uses a gigabit router provided by the isp and i'm not entirely confident enough to make my own and use it without messing stuff up

I'm using DDWRT but am lost. I want to use a physical firewall (Check Point 3200) and a PiHole, but have no idea how to get them to point to each other.

This is a nice point..
Because the first router that I own (not from ISP) was in the internet connection that I paid but all my family shared.. like 7 connected devices.. and they hated me because I had to reboot it every time to test stuff or to change things to fine grain tune it..
Now I'm living in my own house and I jumped from ISP router to a WRT3200ACM and DD-WRT because started to share (and charge for it) my internet with a neighbor. Now with everything set from this morning, I plan to share it to more neighbors with VAPs and custom QoS rules, fixed DHCP client IPs, every detail contemplated..
I want those fuckers to pay my internet service and get some extra bucks without effort.

Because last time I tried it, everything was fucking broken.

like the condom i wore when ur mom and me smashed hard last night

Is always the same, if everything isn't broken, something that you don't notice is... kek

This puts you below the 10 years old limit.. MODS

Not to mention when I fuck it up and they hated me and yelled at me because I tend to leave everyone without connection at all after a reboot.. kek.. what a nice times

Like seriously, it came with a DynDNS updater function that didn't appear to work. When I tried running it manually from the terminal, no matter how I run it I just get Segmentation Fault.

that makes ur mom a pedophile
MOOOOODSSSSSS

If you check Wikidevi, the third radio only does 1x1 MIMO anyway, so no big loss if you need to disable it (I did).

These routers are almost unbrickable due to the double-buffer feature for firmware updates. I just wish they had SODIMM slots instead of soldered-on RAM. Otherwise excellent product

Those kind of bugs are nice to report it right after that build came to test. As a developer I can tell you that normally those bugs in C-C++ comes from a null pointer 95%of the time..

Is not double buffer.. is called dual partitions, and yes, that makes it almost* unbrickeables.. but amateurs can broke that rule..
About the radio, I heard that is for DFS detection. But no clue why it has more capabilities than the 2.4 radio and less than the 5 one.. some people report that mess with the packages increasing the error ratio. I have no idea why leave it on because you can't connect it to that antenna.. Thinking about only Linksys find it usefull and DD-WRT should hide it from the GUI interface at least to not confuse people.

My Mikrotik RouterOS works just fine thanks.