Recommend a Laptop

There is a thinkpad general, but no laptop general.

I have been looking for a laptop for a while now. I am certain the laptop I want is out there, but it's becoming hard for me to find it.

The last laptop I bought was a Satellite l855-s5405. It has a 1366x768 screen, and I have access to changing the ram, hdd/sdd, and battery from the bottom of the laptop.

Do they make laptops anymore where you have direct access to the ram and hdd/sdd at the bottom, without having the pull the bottom part of the laptop off? As far as I can tell, some might, or some might only let you change one stick of ram instead of both.

All I am looking for, is:
>Ryzen CPU, preferably a 3500u
>1920x1080 60Hz resolution
>two channels of ram, and a way to access them and replace them
>way to access and replace storage drive

I could be pickier and also look for usb C, but I think only Intel laptops have them for the most part, no?

Any ideas?

Attached: acer_a315-41.jpg (500x308, 26K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-3-A315-41-Ryzen-3-2200U-Vega-3-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.306442.0.html
youtube.com/watch?v=rVJAs-gnDEE
intel.com/technology/vpro/index.htm
topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-15-3540-laptop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thinkpad A485

nice

I took a look at it, but I am not certain if it would fulfill everything I would like. It does appear there is some extra work required in accessing the ram, and I may need to buy it with an m.2 drive in order to change it out.

I should have also mentioned I would prefer one with a numpad.

I will still put this on a list of laptops to consider, but not yet.

Why not an USFF desktop? It would be twice as powerful as a laptop yet occupy very little space. Hell you can even vesa mount it on the back of a monitor and use a wireless keyboard + mouse for max space savings.

pic related: a300 desk mini mounted on the back of a monitor

Attached: images.jpg (203x189, 6K)

I already have a desktop computer with an RX 590 gpu.

I would like a laptop that isn't too weak, but capable of doing some work when I leave home.

The only laptops worth getting are refurb ThinkPads or XPS.

What about new laptops?

ALL trash, cept maybe Dell Precisions.

Lol, I own pic related.
It has HDD cover and memory cover. Afaik it has M.2 SATA, but you have to remove bottom cover in order to access it.
It has Ryzen 5 2500U, and 1366x768 shitty screen.

AMD might have USB-C ports though.

Attached: WP_000384.jpg (2592x1944, 736K)

If the last laptop I had is a Satellite l855-s54045 with the following:

>i3-3120M with HD Graphics 4000
>8gb ram (upgraded to two 4gb sticks)
>256 GB SSD (upgraded from 320 GB 5400 rpm HDD)
>1366x768 resolution
>numpad

It is still viable for regular every day shit. I used to be able to edit 1080p videos on it with Premiere. Games not so much unless the games (from that era) were played in medium. What would be comparable to today?

what laptop is that? Could you show me a pic of the bottom? Is it the one on the left or the right?

>what laptop is that?
Acer A315-41, the left one

Attached: elkek.jpg (2592x1944, 1.2M)

Can you change both sticks of ram? Could I see a pic of that?

Looks like yeah.

Attached: WP_000386.jpg (2592x1944, 984K)

nice

You can change both sticks? I must have been reading the internet wrong then. Or, it varies by region. Or you can on the 2500u version.

>You can change both sticks?
In my case looks like yeah.
>I must have been reading the internet wrong then. Or, it varies by region.
Maybe they were wrong on the internet, since PCB schematics don't have soldered ram, only SO-DIMMs.
>Or you can on the 2500u version.
I have 2500u, right. I don't know what do you have on 2300u.

Attached: dh5av_jv_0v_la-g021pr1b.jpg (2853x2016, 881K)

notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-3-A315-41-Ryzen-3-2200U-Vega-3-SSD-FHD-Laptop-Review.306442.0.html
Here. 2300u, no HDD, SSD.
Technically you can install HDD if you have the cable and bracket.

What about the new 3500u version?

And yeah, don't trust schematics, since it covers all Acer laptops with such motherboard, and they might have different options, like GPU and PCIE SSD.

I don't know, honestly.
But other than that, laptop feels like, well, laptop. I had Acer (Packard bell, same shit) AMD laptops before and I didn't have any problems, besides cooling clogging with dust.

Plastic case, I sorta like texture. Rigid enough.
But it squeaks, so yeah, don't expect cheap ass laptop to have superior case.

You haven't given a budget.

That's not true. Elitebooks and Latitudes also have their place.

>budget
Under $1000, I would prefer the $500 range

I did go to dells website and build my own precision 3540 with the following:
>i5-8365U
>AMD Radeon Pro WX 2100
>15.6" FHD WVA, 1920x1080

I have no idea what dual pointing means, but it required i select that for thunderbolt 3. I am not certain the difference between the qualcom and the intel wireless adapters. I am not certain if I should enable vPro either.

It came out to $900 if I opt for Ubuntu instead of Windows. And that is only because i would prefer to do a fresh install myself. Does this laptop also allow the upgrading of ram and the ability to add an m.2 ssd?

youtube.com/watch?v=rVJAs-gnDEE

Honestly, I would have been shocked if an enterprise laptop didn't let you change ram. As to the vPro, check out the features list: intel.com/technology/vpro/index.htm

Finally, there's not a lot of difference in between the wireless adapters. Where you are using it will matter more than your network adapter.

Also, the Zbook 15v is under 1k. I'm not sure how all it can be configured, but there's another option for you.

So for video editing vPro probably doesn't do much for me then, correct?

In regards to where I will use it. I will primarily be plugged into ethernet at home, but may use wi-fi at places outside home.

Tbh I will probably be getting the Precision 3540, given it has most (but not all) of what I want. I would prefer it to have a Ryzen CPU, but I am certain that will probably not ever come. I would also prefer to buy it without a storage drive and ram just to save on money lol.

Should I buy it with an i7, or am I fine with an i5?

Hmmm, it doesn't look like it is fully configurable. I will consider it though. Thanks

I did pull up the manual for the current Precision 3540: chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/precision-15-3540-laptop_owners-manual_en-us.pdf

It looks like the stuff isn't as easily accessible in the video linked but it does appear to be accessible nontheless.

Hopefully the laptop comes with the solid state bracket even if you order it without one.

>So for video editing vPro probably doesn't do much for me then, correct?
Correct. From what I'm gleaning, it's more of a way to continue to use your computer if you manage to delete System 32.

>In regards to where I will use it. I will primarily be plugged into ethernet at home, but may use wi-fi at places outside home.
Well, again, it's more of a preference. In certain environments, one might outperform the other, but it would be impossible to know without testing both in every environment. Plugged into ethernet, there should be zero difference.

>Should I buy it with an i7, or am I fine with an i5?
How long are you wanting to use it? When I'm picking my laptops, I will sacrifice SSD for a HDD first (as that's cheap and easy to change), RAM 2nd (as it's easy to change, but will be pricier than an SSD to upgrade, unless you are going for like a 2TB SSD), and CPU last. CPUs can be quick and easy to change, or a real bitch depending on the motherboard, but upgrading CPUs are typically the most expensive of the 3 factors. That said, I think if you're just looking to use it for a few years before upgrading into something better that costs $2k, like a Thinkpad P72 specced out to shame literally everything else, then an i5 should be fine for the next half decade at least.

>Hopefully the laptop comes with the solid state bracket even if you order it without one.
Couldn't tell you.

I'd probably have to call Dells tech support and ask if they know. The individual at the call center would probably have no idea what I am talking about lol.

My plan is probably to use it about 5 years. I used the l855-s5404 for 5 years. If there is a major performance boost in going to the i7-8565U or i7-8665U from the i5-8365U, then maybe. If the difference is minimal in laptop use, then probably not.

Tbh, my desktop may have an RX 590 and 32gb of DDR3 ram, but my CPU is an FX-8350 so performance with PCSX2 is very mad. I would probably attempt to use that program on this laptop.

i like the macbook air, wood recommend