Minidisc

What went wrong?

Attached: img_5b163b5560577.jpg (1000x1000, 251K)

Other urls found in this thread:

theonion.com/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt-fuck-1819594774
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> owned an MD player, early 2000's
> only slightly more convenient than CD's
It only started getting cheap a couple years before portable mp3 players took off. By then, it was too late.

nothing. Minidiscs are awesome

This reminds me of the retarded UMD disks PSP tried to push down my throat when I first bought one of those.

desu it was the best portable I owned, but the games for it were junk.

>retarded UMD disks PSP tried to push down my throat
Fucking this. If it accepted those half-size CDs or DVDs it would have been so cool and convenient.

They were nice and cool. A bit bulky and storage wasn't that great.
Still loved mine

Pretty great, but mp3 was much more convenient. I remember it was a pain to fill minidisc.

Everything about SonicStage was garbage, I still have nightmares about it

Nothing. We're simply rocking more storage in other forms now.

honestly? the stupid fucking software they forced you to use to burn music to them. it encoded the audio at a super low bitrate that sounded like shit, even "turned up" to its highest settings

in the early 2000s i weighed the cost of adding a CDR drive to my machine (new tech, expensive at the time, discs expensive as well) versus getting a HD based mp3 player (very new tech at that time, very low storage) versus a cheap sont minidisc player (pic related) ... and the minidisc player was on paper the best purchase for the buck

but once i had it, i realized the awful software that wrote the mp3s to the machine was slow, and terrible, and that was the reason i stopped using it once i got an iPod nano, and picked up a CDR drive to burn dreamcast games.

im sure they eventually came out with better software, but by then it was too late

Attached: Screenshot_2019-05-17-21-40-46~2.png (1440x1493, 1.74M)

Orig CDs were expensive for my college ass back in the 90s but still bought some. But as soon as pirated CDs containing albums of mp3s and windows programs became a thing in the late 90s, it was a fucking blessing.

fucking shitheads at sony marketing is what went wrong. I was a teenager in the early 90's, yes oldfag, and I lusted after one. I broke my fucking back in the summer, in the south, working trash cast money jobs to get one.

there were 3 places in 200 miles that sold them. 2 were overpriced record shops (camelot music, and Schoolkids records) and another was this super expensive home theater store that made me want to sell my soul for a top tier home theater with a laserdisc player.

all were out of stock, and their suppliers had no idea when they were going to get more from sony. this went on from the summer of 92 until 97. the only fucking prerecorded minidiscs i ever found were bette midler, and some shitty linda ronstadt album. fast forward to 05. I finally get one, after this crackhead coming up with "an iPod", for the 49th time. its a sanyo, and there was a sony that was fucking tiny and had the battery in the headset wire. that thing was the tits. I felt like some uberl33t cyberpunk.

it could have fucking owned the 90's in the usa.

the sony rootkit debacle. right before they sued lik shan out of business.

solid-state memory is infinitely superior?

it died well before we got cheap solid state memory.

It's inferior to MP3 players.

yeah, all those mp3 players in 1992 blew minidiscs out of the water

The iPod used a hard drive. Beautiful high bitrate mp3 on the go and you didn't need to carry around a bunch of disks.

I wouldn't say 'died' so much as 'was never alive,' but the solid-state MP3 players are 100% what ended all hope. Diamond Rio was in 1998, and it was all over after that. Why it was never alive... CD-R prices too good, lack of albums and recording industry support, shit/expensive hardware. It never had a chance.

fucking ipod, it set the standard for what an mp3 player was supposed to be. after that they were nothing but cheap knock offs

thats what I was saying, but if it had taken hold in 92-94, then it would have steamrolled shit.

and I already posted my sadness while trying to find prerecorded minidiscs. FUCK YOU BETTE MIDLER YOU CUNT. WHERE WERE THE FUCKING GOOD ONES THAT WERE SUPPOSED TO BE RELEASED?

I did have Alice in Chains - Dirt on minidisc.

I guess I should admit that there was a big contribution from the HDD-based players as well, but we've seen how those have gone since.

I dunno man. It just wasn't good enough to invest in for most people compared to CDs, even if they did have the albums. And even if it did take off, I think cheap CD-Rs and then MP3 players would have killed MD off basically just as quickly. It had maybe 4 good years in it at best, no matter what sony did.

the cheap CD-R's didnt come out for years. my brother got his in 98. single disks were like $1 each then dropped like a fucking rock by 2000.

it was just so primitive in the beginning that it turned people off. the first one had this fucking HAWG of a battery that took forever to charge.

I remember $1 CD-Rs around 96, but I dunno. And that kills minidisc. Anyways RIP minidisc, you were a technology out of place. At least sony got the big win in blu-ray vs HDDVD...

forgot about that. rip lik-sang too

The only redeeming quality about UMDs are the fact that the giant slot is big enough to hold the USB cable I used to copy games onto my PSP.

It was novel at the time but UMDs really did suck.

It sounds like shit at anything but 1x recording.

AA batteries sucked up faster than your mom at a wine tasting.

They cost 3x more than a regular Walkman.

The only kid you could trade discs was the stupid Saudi Kid that wore a suit and had wahalla music

The only place to get discs was the Sony store.

Carrying boxes of 1:1 copies of every CD you own meant you had to choose between game boy and tunes unless you wanted to wear gay ass camo cargos.

I know; I own 12 of the damn things.

Attached: 7ghsfa2ewsy21.jpg (1000x1250, 100K)

I remember that shitty software. I was baffled that they released it to the public in such a state. The best thing about the NetMD was the tiny size of the player (for that time) and capacity of the discs made it easy to get away with listening to music at school during class. I also remember the buttons were really cheap and shitty too. I'd try to adjust the volume and accidentally change the song.

Sony's egotism was fucking unreal.
Everything was proprietary. If a superior standard existed, Sony ignored it and engineered their own version. Their version did the same thing, albeit with expensive parts.

I've disassembled many Sony products (especially laptops) and... they're beautiful. The design is unique and gorgeous. The pride is obvious. The cable clamps, the PCB trace layout, everything is dripping with care like it was designed in another multiverse where Sony were undisputed market kings. They designed their own rabbit holes and fell down them with every product.
All marketing, software, packaging, warranty, etc. were stuck in the same bubble: "No other company but Sony exists."

The user design always assumed you had nothing better to do than use it. "You bought a Sony product, so obviously you're a die-hard fan, and die-hard fans are happy just holding A Sony Product"
Minidisc was just one of many.

Attached: hqXb2xZ.jpg (670x622, 73K)

this comes to mind theonion.com/sony-releases-new-stupid-piece-of-shit-that-doesnt-fuck-1819594774

They were crippled because they went into the entertainment business. That side of Sony didn't want people pirating things with stuff from the hardware divisions.

Attached: sony-pictures.jpg (700x393, 41K)

It only took them, what, 7 failures to stop doing that?

Attached: 1200px-Blu-ray_Disc.svg.png (1200x644, 44K)

The list of failed Sony formats between the CD and the Blu Ray is well into the 20s, user.

Yeeeeah

Attached: 10835265_10154946137945492_8798744075353074867_o.jpg (1632x918, 94K)

UMDs were a sensible engineering solution for the time, smaller than mini dvd, mechanically tougher, cheaper disc loading mechanism, decent capacity 1.8GB, way cheaper to make than a ROM or flash cartridge that big.

>tfw have Hackers on UMD

PLEB tier movie.

Get on my level.

Attached: md-matrix.jpg (700x350, 46K)

I'm a bit baffled why Apple succeeded at that but Sony didn't
it can't just be bad engineers, design, or marketing

It's easier to sell expensive shit to retarded people than smart things to broke people.

Came out when everyone was already moving to the Internets.

Fuck Sony. I bought an MD player back in high school cuz I was an edgy cool tech fuck that wanted to listen to my pirated MP3s. The damn thing stopped working after a year, right after the warranty was up. I swore to never buy another Sony product in my life, and I never have since. Sony is practically bankrupt now. Fuck those idiots. No one wants your proprietary, over-priced trash.

Attached: twaddle.jpg (640x480, 137K)

This guy gets it.
They lost a shit load of money in the first years of being in the movie business, and while they were talking about synergy, movie side wanted nothing to do with it unless there is sophisticated DRM implemented.

>This guy gets it.
Not at all. I don't think you realize how much money Sony had to burn back then. They bought Columbia back in 1989, and despite the mass amounts of money sunk, it was still just a novelty for them then.
This is the company that's sold life insurance since the '70s.

Sony had massive problems long before they started fucking around with their "picture division".

>What went wrong?
32khz

>implying the human eye can smell more than 16000 Hz

Proprietary, data density wasn't improved, music used lossy compression but MP3s were already getting big

>implying i cant see more than 16000Hz

Attached: mantis-shrimp-8.jpg (1000x711, 113K)

Kanye still won't release it.

Attached: Yandhi.jpg (1400x1400, 183K)

still use my mini disk player but its got an AA duck taped to the back with some wires going into it because chargers for those nicad gumstick batteries are too expensive

I remember the first time I did LSD.

nothing went wrong, technology advanced. it became easier to record music onto other mediums.

I had an early sony mp3 player that still used atrac3 and I had to use sonic stage.

Fucking worst software ever, worse than early itunes on windows.

your parents never bought them

Proprietary, very expensive, low capacity.

Attached: january-2018-sales-1-2.png (640x555, 239K)

the cases were a pain in the ass to open