ITT we post tech flop

ITT we post tech flop

Attached: SATA-E-640x353.jpg (640x353, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

sata? that didn't flop...

Why can't we figure out a way to run sata and power with one cable?

SATA Express

We already have; It's called USB-C.

I still have these on my MOTHERBOARD only ever used the individual ports.
I feel like this and U.2 and eSATA flopped

you want HOW many amps going through that thin plastic piece of garbage you call a motherboard?

I'll go with "What is eSATAp?"

Dedicated physics cards

Attached: 1535650800114.jpg (640x480, 36K)

Are these things being sold still? I wonder if their instruction set and driver and such can be reverse engineered to allow for a cute little coprocessor of some kind.

You're aware that the motherboard dumps tens and even hundreds of amps in the CPU, right? How do you think the CPU gets 100-200W+ worth of power while operating in the 1-1.5V voltage range?

>motherboard
>plastic
Are you retarded?

in my experience, anything from "alibaba" that goes into a PCI. It ruined a $700 MB on me. Luckily it was insured for $670, but still, Jesus,,,

>hundreds of amps in the CPU
maybe if you're an incel user

play stupid games win stupid prizes

Attached: 2990wx.png (611x466, 28K)

Attached: .png (1526x999, 239K)

It's just an Nvidia GPU with no display outputs. So, basically the same as a mining card or Tesla card. You can get the same effect by sticking a cheap GPU into a second slot and setting it to be used for PhysX.

Its a risc coprocessor with custom simd units according to the wiki

Preshott

Attached: presshot.jpg (822x824, 225K)

Blockchain

The original housefire

But that's U.2 now and very popular

Nothing you can't do with a GPU or NPU either.

Sata express =/= u.2, Sata Express cannot communicate through 4 PCI-e lanes

Attached: appleproductlineup-800x313.jpg (800x313, 38K)

The driving idea behind SATA Express was similar to U.2.
Both are also cross compatible with NVMe drives, SATA Express just supports SATA too.

The point is literally just PCIe lanes via a cable.

remember google stadia

Attached: OnLive_logo.svg.png (200x215, 16K)

The problem is that peoples standards are lowering every generation, so this is just Googles attempt to see if standards are lowered enough to accept constant input lag. Sony made 70% of its sales digitally in Q4 last year, the consumer gains almost NOTHING from this practice, they trade a drive to walmart to instead never own their game, be beholden to an internet connection and lose the ability to resell the game later. Eventually the market is going to eat it streaming, just this time it's taking much longer to reach a low enough point that people can slurp up input lag.

Then instead of buying a $60 game you pay $15 a month every single month, so if you're a 1 game focused, long term player like say a CSGO fan you go from paying $40 once and playing it for 10 years to paying $1800 for that same period.

>very popular
U2 lost to m2

sad but true. though i think with all the esports stuff that's been going on for the last few years, it's the wrong time for stadia. high refresh rate monitors are still getting hyped up by manufacturers and users alike, seems weird to me to release a product that will have unfixable and constant input lag at a time where people are looking for 'competitive' gaming setups. of course the target audience for this aren't esport obsessed nerds, but on the internet you'll still see those people ridiculing stadia for its problems and that's bad for selling the product even to normans.

I honestly can't see game streaming picking up, they can barely get video streaming right and game streaming actually requires input.

and hololens

Attached: 34182443_OVR.png (868x488, 226K)

Both as in use, you use the tool for the job.

from a consumers perspective it would be great for free instant demos (saving you from pirating 80gb games just to try them) and maybe turn based games, but other than that i don't see why anyone would want this.

Attached: 1557974362092.png (1114x1214, 828K)

Attached: videophone-ip-gxv3140v2-5790257.jpg (591x591, 36K)

at least stadia is coming in a very different time

with onlive, the shilling was so fucking obnoxious, the stench of it was enough to kill all my braincells. i already had to deal with the usual ps3 and xbox shilling, and on top of that, i'd have these absolute lunatics somehow acting several times worse, and talking about game streaming when i couldn't even stream 360p videos.

god, the retardation was out of this world

TACHYONS

*inhales*

Getting rid of physical media has a ton of benefits ranging from price to availability.

Yes, and the SATA Express cable flopped.

AYYMD FX RUBBISH

Dead before arrival? Or am I too young?

at least they're honest about it, unlike intel. and 250W for 32 cores is not a lot. fucking intel draws that on their chips with less than half the cores without even pushing them hard on the OC

>price
New AAA releases are usually the same price in digital distribution and on disc.
>availability
Except publishers can now region-lock computer games based on user IPs in the launcher, whereas previously you could just order a game disc from another country.

But neither SATA or NVMe flopped

neither of those are sata express you retarded dickwad

It flopped because it was made with shit in mind instead of the VR we have now.

You can full body motion traction in VR now with it.

>You can
you can terribadly. it is not made for VR

had one for a while but got rid of it, useless

Attached: htc_99hanl002_00_vive_tracker_2018_tracker_dongle_cradle_1m_usb_a_micro_b_1413238.jpg (2500x2500, 248K)

>cherrypicking a high-end cpu
Try again sweetie.

Based
Physical media depends on me to maintain it. Digital media depends on a big company with tons of resources and their financial future on the line to maintain it.

Too expensive.

I'll rather use my old Vive sticks for similar usage than buying a $99999 brick.

The iPad is fine.

>The problem is that peoples standards are lowering every generation
This desu, consoles have been getting worse every gen and either peeling back on features/making you pay for things you used to get for free.
Each gen is just someone else pushing the boundaries more and seeing how much shit they can get away with. This gen was a shit show that let everything slip since donny boy announced the Xbox One : Fascist edition.

It also happens in services, EA used to provide dedicated server files, then you were stuck to renting servers from approved hosts, then they rolled it up into renting servers directly. All the while peeling back support for mods and server extensions.

No company cares about input lag, visual fidelity or an unstable connection. They don't care about you.

No, SATA Express is literally both of those.

Attached: 276CC866-89DB-4FC6-B812-FD9D37EA122A.jpg (740x416, 27K)

Attached: FD74DD03-AF80-4583-AC61-EE3A64BA7BD9.jpg (640x480, 20K)

Attached: dfs.jpg (620x350, 233K)

Attached: Nokia_N-Gage.png (765x420, 429K)

no

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 125K)

you guys might like this essay. explains how/why this keeps happening in human society: slatestarcodex.com/2014/07/30/meditations-on-moloch/
don't trip over the beginning, it's a poem for illustration but that's not the meat of the essay.

Attached: ouya-56a401115f9b58b7d0d4e6ec.jpg (768x512, 28K)

>Unreal Tournament with controllers

Attached: 1552574828241.jpg (660x440, 72K)

I have that exact processor in one of these. It's been on craigslist for $20 for a couple weeks, nobody's messaged me about it lol.

Attached: 200px-Dell_XPS_Gen5.jpg (200x329, 15K)

>consumers don't use it
>therfore it flopped
look at any bigass flash storage server, they all use U.2 2.5" drives

I hate the motherboards that put the Sata in the same y axis as the main PCIE slot, I've ran into so much grief with motherboards of all brands where the GPU blocked multiple sata ports.

100+ A for housefure CPUs like FX9590 and latest Intels. Compared to that, 1-2 A for a hard drive is nothing.

It's amazing how P4 was considered housefire at the time, but nowadays 80-90W is completely normal for mid-high tier CPUs.

And that's why it flopped. It was the VLB of hard drive interfaces.

Sad but the dev kit of the Kinect was awesome and worked with subtle finger movements.
It just couldn’t be sold for 80 or 120$ (I don’t remember the price of the set alone) for the average consumer with the right tech in it

You have no Idea what you are talking about if you think HoloLens flopped. It's not a consumer product. Large companies are doing really cool stuff with it.

What they are thinking lmao

Attached: SFF-8639-PCI-E-pcie-pci-express-3-2-SATA-Express-18pin-7-7-4-Male.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 61K)

Do you remember the burnt pins fiasco on the Intelaviv processors? Where a CPU running under it's base configuration managed to burn the pins because of power draw?

The reason why SATA Express flop was because it was attempting to retain backwards compatibility for existing and legacy hardware. That meant it had to use 15 year-old interfaces and designs. SATA Express connector is literately (2XSATA classic + extra pins for power). Nobody wanted to go back to ribbons of parallel era.

NVMe completely drops all of that baggage.

Safety and bottom cost reasons. To properly handle power and data through the same cable and PCBs costs money (extra layers, tracings, circuitry for failsafes). The failsides are needed because they don't be viable for butterfingered retards who end-up causing electrical fires and self-inflicted electrocution.

It is cheaper to isolate data and power. The PSU already has all of the power circuity and safeties.

ASIC still exist for pure physical stuff in the HPC world. Not every physics calculation can be managed by GPGPUs (not enough arithmetic-depended performance)

Deary me it was a disaster

underrated

Attached: oldfloppydisk1905.jpg (1251x1200, 526K)

Ah yes, the Cleveland Steambox

What? No.

USB

>tfw x86 killed the x86 killer

It would have made sense if nvme drives were larger than they are today

Well damn

Isn't PCB a piece of plastic with copper traces?

Fiberglass. Plastic couldn't handle soldering/repeated high temperatures.

Off yourself.

You do get the joke. Flop(py)

Because now you're running a fuckton of power through your motherboard instead of directly from the power supply.

not the homie you're replying to but I wasn't aware of that. very cool kanye, thank you.

FireWire. But it did lay the ground work for Thunderbolt and now usb 4.

Attached: 1557000304471.webm (480x596, 904K)

Wrong picture.

the kinect was STUPIDLY popular with researchers. The unfortunate reality is that Microsoft always wanted to make it a profitable exclusive for a game system, despite the only people buying it being visual researchers. Then they discontinued the whole damn thing.
It's a serious loss, you could do some really cool shit with those.

Fuck.

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (768x629, 45K)

Attached: 1500415693_898602_1500415910_noticia_normal.jpg (1200x675, 35K)

thats codeword for no market