Are video games non-free software?

Are video games non-free software?
Has anyone made any good free software games?
Like steam games?

Attached: dumb.jpg (229x220, 9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html
gitlab.com/librebob/athenaeum
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity
libregamewiki.org/Teeworlds
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2
youtu.be/Cyoj4-niEPc
thedarkmod.com/
openra.net
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i think generally the cost to make them in way too high for them to be free

shit
huston, we have a problem

>steam games
0A.D
rogalia

gnu.org/philosophy/nonfree-games.en.html

Video game developers are in the dinosaur age when it comes to software freedoms. Even the most commie journalists still white knight for DRM, cloud gaming and 0 day DLCs. Which is funny, since they could claim art work as copyright whilst keeping game engines FOSS.

M-x tetris

thanks richard
will read

the games that you find in flathub.org are pretty much everything there is

i really like M.A.R.S such a qt project, sadly its kind of stalled

xonotic a multiplayer shooter its very well done imo

openAGE is a project kind of promissing

Age of Empires 2 but open source

Most of them are proprietary, but there are some games with free software engines. I think you can play Arx Fatalis using 100% free software, but the art assets are still proprietary. Then you can play various 100% free games like the Tux adventures, 0AD, and some Ren'Py visual novels.

any first person shooter with free software?
id settle with open source

This project is like steam for foss games.

gitlab.com/librebob/athenaeum

I made a shitty app thats on mediafire somewhere.

just one of those platform games where you fall and try not to get caught above the screen. Just had some spare time between graduating and starting my job so I made it. didn't put it on the store because I used an idolm@ster character.

Off of the top of my head, 0AD, Minetest, Tux Racer..

Dwarf Fortress and Space Station 13.

Both nonfree

op you're such a dummy

in general while some game engines are available as free software (like some version of idtech) games themselves are not usually available as free software
the assets, which typically include something executable in some way (i.e. scripts for the game's scripting engine) are usually proprietary

Doom
Quake
Half Life

smelly, dumb, frognigger scum
All of id's games were open sourced until Rage.

All nonfree, don't conflate the public domain with free software.

There are some free software games, most of the popular ones are from the 90s like Doom though. Not many modern ones.
Public domain software is free software you moron. And Doom and Quake are licensed under the GPL.

redeclipse is overwatch-tier

They are non free because the code is non free. Stallman proposed that the art assets could be sold but the code should be open source. There's literally no incentive for companies to do this though unlike most other software

>video game market brings a shitton of money
>hurr why is it non-free software
fossfags are more retarded than expected

Attached: 1539753666273.jpg (638x1000, 92K)

PC gaming has always been horrible in terms of DRM, licenses et al. If you want to game you should use a console; although all game consoles are completely propietary, your games can run in an environment seperate from your everyday computing tasks, so if you care about keeping your PC a 100% libre environment, you can sustain that as well as being able to enjoy your games.

Maybe video game tech could advance more if there were more free software involved. Look how shitty Bethesda's engine is. Imagine if they let all the elder scrolls autists at it to fix it

"Free software" can never apply to videogames. Videogame industry is just so much different from the software industry.

FOSS makes hacking trivial. Imagine if an online FPS game was completely free software. Now how would you prevent people from cheating? Do you just trust in people not to cheat even though they have the full engine code available that they can modify at any time? Or do you force players to run a closed, proprietary third party anti-cheat software (e.g. PunkBuster)?

It's ridiculous how rms doesn't address cheating in video games which is a big problem, it just shows how much of a clueless boomer he is.

Aside from some indie projects, videogames cannot (and never will) be FOSS and that's a good thing.

autists do already fix it

Multiplayer games are cancer anyway

osu!

why should it advance if people keep buying that shit? From a marketing point, you get high income for a low effort. It's a win, for me.

Also couldn't the server require a hash of the client code to verify nobody is cheating? Seems like potential for some new protocols. I'm not sure how exactly it would be implemented but there's likely a way

That wouldn't work as the client can spoof anything and everything

What about "games" in /usr/games?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_through_obscurity
educate yourself before you speak, now go back to your containment board

libregamewiki.org/Teeworlds

Hey i had lots of fun with this at school

But cheating is a huge problem in video games. CSGO online competitive has become unplayable since it went F2P because of cheaters. One might just as well surmise that OSing game code would lead to vulnerabilities being detected and therefore patched more quickly.

A FOSS game can exist if you can crowdfund the development entirely.

A regular crowdfunded game usually goes like this
>get a million dollars on KS
>go to a banker and say "look we have a million in preorder so we can expect 10 millions in sales so invest into us"

If you could scrap the entire budget off the donations and crowdfunding then you could release a FOSS game.

So this probably means that a foss game can only be pretty low budget.

Also Unity and UE4 are free as in free beer, not freedom, so you'd need to use godot which is shit or write your own engine which isn't low budget.

If Godot ever gets to the level of Unity it may be the dawn of the foss games for the fun little projects akin to Kerbal Space etc.

right now it's raw.

HedgeWars, it's pretty sweet Worms clone

UM
no really though this game is actually fun to play

Attached: Super_tux_kart.jpg (320x240, 8K)

lmao imagine thinking we're capable of doing cryptographically secure algorithms at 60fps

free as in FREEDOM why is this such a difficult concept for you retards

Worked out fine for Doom...that was along time ago however.

you don't have to modify the game's code to cheat
look at what happened to source games (csgo, tf2, gmod to an extent), most of the code you'd need to make a cheat is available publicly and the rest only requires very basic reverse engineering skills (since you can still look at the engine's code).

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribes_2
Its old so it should work on everyone's computer and its free. Says Linux and windows, there's mods and stuff it looks like. The game engine is open source so its free too.

Only their engines.

>If you want to game you should use a console
Yeah, who doesn't love running games at 720p and silky smooth 23 frames per second?

Why did you post a picture of me being beaten? This is rude and unacceptable on a blue board.

I mean in terms of keeping your PC libre, not in terms of functionality. I know console gaming is lower quality and I don't even really like playing games (where FPS matters to the gameplay) on console myself due to this. I don't even really care for libre software myself, I was just trying to make a good quality post in relation to the thread - calm down.

Xonotic is fucking based, love it

openAGE is doomed to die.

RedEclipse and Xonotic are libre and multiplayer and I've never encountered a cheater. They have some anti cheat stuff in them.

>openarena
>shattered pixel dungeon
>colobot: gold edition
I can go on, there are some fun freetard games if you're willing to spend 5 seconds to search for them.

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. Enough content that you'll never get bored.
youtu.be/Cyoj4-niEPc

>tfw I only remember that game because I killed myself with the starting gate triggered by the lever and it scared the hell out of me

almost every game is free, just pirate it, retard

yeah pretty much this hence very few good games are FOSS

If I were to start a FOSS game right now, how many of you would be with me?

Source mods are the best free shit.
Too bad they died when their communities moved on.
Now we are struck with shitty nostalgiafaggy RPGmaker.

no u

>Imagine if an online FPS game was completely free software. Now how would you prevent people from cheating?
Fuck, do you even BF5? more cheating there than any game ever... I'de say 1 in 5 are running some sort of cheat!

wolfenstein: enemy territory

Attached: wet.png (447x223, 65K)

why?

tf no one mentioned the dark mod
thedarkmod.com/

I like open red alert
openra.net