Why would anyone need a CRT monitor in 2019?

Why would anyone need a CRT monitor in 2019?

Attached: 1547051994739.jpg (400x400, 23K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To pretend they aren't a part of the norm.

to show my elitism

retro gaymen, Jet Set Willy looks like shit on a mahoosive LCD.

drop the resolution down to 120x64 and it will look just as good.

bragging rights

Brag about what? Anyone can buy a CRT.

>Brag about what?
i don't know. ask those who brag about it.

Comfy nostalgia

for my dreamcast

They wouldn't.
/thread

I kinda want one but then again I will probably use it once and then just leave it in a closet.

L33t gaymers.

>high refresh rate for free
>authentic for older vidya
>overclockable
>amazing picture quality
>scanlines
>even better when you get a Sony® Trinitron™

Some shit just plain looks better on a CRT. I love the one I've got.
That said, if you have to even ask why then I woulnd't recommend one. Sure there are many benefits (Better colors, true blacks, no motion blur, no latency, perfectly scaled resolutions, etc) but there are also many drawbacks (having to fiddle with image geometry for every resolution, footprint, picture size compered to LCDs, causes eye strain much faster, wares out faster, can generate humming/whining noises if wearing out, etc).
There is gives and takes, thats why mine is used exclusively for my retro computers and for playing MAME on.

I keep a couple Sun 13w3 monitors around as spares for machines that run some very custom and very expensive equipment.

But otherwise, hard pass.

Soul vs. soulless.

I know this is hard to believe but it's unironically better than TN AND IPS panels. Basically better colors/contrast than IPS and somehow lower response time than TN. Old high end NEC/samsung 1920x1440 @ 90Hz often fetch a high price used for this reason alone.

The 2 main problems it has is:
flicker: can be greatly reduced by using high 75/90 Hz refresh rate models
burn-in: can be greatly mitigated with a screen saver

The only competing technology is OLED.

Attached: 240hz_vs_crt.jpg (938x329, 240K)

However I'd like to share a protip: oled TVs are a better solution.

pic related: 4K lg b8 TV

rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b8-oled

Attached: Screenshot_20190519-133859(1).jpg (491x1059, 203K)

>lower response time
Wow. My mouse click was only 0.3ms instead of 0.9. What a great technology!

Has nothing to do with input lag. Basically response time is the time it takes for a pixel on the screen to change to another color. At high 60-90 Hz refresh rates (sometimes even lower) the response time on an IPS screen is so high it causes ghosting and other motion artifacts which makes things moving on the screen look blurry or smudged at best.

TN displays addresses this issues by having 1-5 ms of response time suitable for up to 60 FPS crystal clear gayming but at the cost of sacrificing vasts amounts of color/contrast quality and viewing angles.

Only poor people get only what they need

>gayming

Attached: 1526649079127.gif (413x243, 51K)

I'm a proud gamer ye filthy linux boi