/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous Thread: Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™!
>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t.), X200(s/t. -s requires BIOS chip de-soldering), T400(s), T500, W500 (works with igpu, no DP).

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, socketed CPU, quadcore-compatible
>T520/T530, W520/W530 - 15", 1080p, desktop replacement
>T440s/T450s - best price/performance ultraportable
>T440p, T540p, W540/1 - last models with socketed processors

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i7 8550U quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250U
>T70 - T60, i7 7700HQ
High-res IPS displays, USB 3.0, M.2 x4, mini-DP
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117
you can directly email the creator regarding purchases
>[email protected]

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

Helpful links:
>Buyers guide:
dankpads.com/tpg/
>thinkpad-tech-tree.txt - a plaintext map of ThinkPad history:
github.com/Monkeyfume/thinkpad-tech-tree/blob/master/thinkpad-tech-tree.txt
>ThinkWiki - info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>Coreboot compatibility list:
coreboot.org/status/board-status.html
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: kanna thinkpad.png (802x1129, 851K)

Other urls found in this thread:

make-linux-fast-again.com/
ebay.us/YI69lu
ebay.us/7IJC6i
octoperf.com/blog/2018/11/07/thinkpad-t440p-buyers-guide/
laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP140WF3(SP)(D1)/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

just get a chink battery they are like 1/4 the cost and have almost the same capacity

Attached: kannaLick.png (1570x960, 1.29M)

ahh t520.... now THAT was a good lasptop..

Installing a WWAN in my x230
Does any MC7710 work or do I need a specific one?

you may need to flash coreboot or get the whitelist removed from your bios iamge

Attached: 1552011224904.jpg (1280x1810, 447K)

I'm on a thinkpad running debian. when charging, the first battery maxes out at 97% instead of 100, the second battery maxes out at 99%. what the fuck? these are official lenovo batteries and adapter

Really want the base model T490s since they've gotten cheaper, $950-1050 where I live. Soldered parts and non removable keyboard don't really bother me since it'll be used as a media machine most of the time never leaving my room.
Thoughts?
>get a used T440s
I use one at work, I want something new. Unless I can somehow can get a new in box T440s.

**20 Thinkpads are now rendered crippled thanks to all the CPU security patches. Dropping frames software decoding video that used to play back fine.

Attached: 1432672993732.png (732x743, 370K)

Is it worth it guys? Can't find anything cheaper. Would really like a 13" or smaller laptop.

Attached: x230.png (1260x1421, 227K)

Where do you buy your batteries?
I feel like I'm going to get chinked if I buy them off ebay.

Attached: kanna thinkpaddu.png (500x281, 202K)

>installing intel-microcode
WHY

make-linux-fast-again.com/

Chinesuim ones usually will have up to 90% of their advertised capacity
Also, is that a G40?

It looks like a T400.

get t480s instead, it's better and should be cheaper too

I have a T400 and
- They're not that t h i c c
- They don't have a always-on yellow USB port, or at least not on the left side

r8 my trashpad E550

It's got a hole and it's full of someone's food.

Attached: trashpad.jpg (1500x1000, 258K)

The mitigations ship with Linux by default. And since web engines and JS can be used to exploit the vulnerabilities, you'd have to be retarded to disable them on an wan-facing machine.

Too expensive

>make linux insecure again

Nobody has ever spotted these vulns in the wild, they're incredibly contrived and it would take a perfect storm of coincidences for any of them to pwn your machine, it's just security researchers spreading fear to justify their consultancy fees, they have a nice scam going, I'll admit.

Finally repair my Z61t and configure fancontrol.
Comfy.

Try again, moron. This breaks all notions of data isolation on the hardware level. Unprivileged code can do this right now.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 10.45.34-fullpage.png (1665x7304, 1.21M)

Should I temporarily go back to Windows on a T400 just to update the BIOS and EC?
Personally I think it's just Intel pulling some extremely dickish planned obsolescence antics, but they didn't want to make them as blatant as what Apple did to their iShits

>needs to be on the same machine to work
>oh i wish i didnt run that untrusted binary from free-firefox-download-2019.xhhshj.scam
wow user i'm so scared

whoops, meant for

Oh, so you trust all JS you let execute in your browser?

plz help me im quite the brainlet . havent had money for a laptop in quite a while

i want a really good graphics card, and id like a 4k screen, although that is not super necessary. i use it for djing, for emulating games, etc. id like it also to be convenient for writing notes on in class, so a stylus would be nice

Attached: Screenshot_123.png (640x449, 56K)

I block ads, I already covered most any source of rogue JS in the browser.
If you can show me a fucking website that straight up starts dumping strings and critical information from outside the browser with no additional input from me, then I'd believe you.

I'm using refind to manage EFI booting on my x270
For whatever reason, my windows install is acting as if windows isn't even there. I can plainly see the windows installation on the partition from linux, but whenever I choose the windows boot option it goes directly back into the refind menu. When I try the windows recovery option, it too acts as if the install isn't there

what gives

But can't find anything cheaper in Europe. Do you think it's still worth it because shipping from USA to Europe/Croatia gives me the same price.

X230, matte 12.5" Sharp 2K IPS panel, i7-3615QE, 16GB, 500GB SSD, mSATA USB3 mod, backlit keyboard, new 9cell, 90w charger. $1000 shipped

or

X230, matte 13.3" Samsung FHD IPS panel, i7-3520M, 8GB, 250GB SSD, mSATA USB3 mod, backlit keyboard, new 9cell, 90w charger. $700 shipped

What is the better buy?

Attached: TB23.EPsdBopuFjSZPcXXc9EpXa_!!55478642[1].jpg (1200x800, 440K)

I bet you're real proud of being a disgusting pig.

>paying 1000$ for a 2012 laptop
I hope you're not serious

FHD is more than enough for those crappy looking games and a bit of typing.

Did you even have a look at the specs or were you just trying to act "smart"?

I paid $150 for an X230 i5-3380M with 4GB ram, a blank 320GB spinning rust drive, a fried battery and a 90W charger, shipped.
I hope you don't feel an SSD and a fancy display are worth the additional $850 dollars.

It's not my food. I literally picked this thing out of the trash.

Attached: trashpad2.jpg (1500x1000, 186K)

Sve znam komsija. Shipping costs are pure rape to the balkans.

How much is that one incl. shipping to you?

Like I said, a disgusting pig.

I see you don't even have the slightest idea what that CPU, panel, original Lenovo 9-cell and those other mods cost, let alone the cost of installing it all and shipping it to Europe.

even with those specs it's a fucking terrible deal, if you think you're "smart" by paying 1000$ for a 7 year old laptop then be "smart" all you want, otherwise just get yourself a t480s which will be infinitely better in every single way

no more then €20 by my friend.

You lucky son of a

Why do you need all that?

Attached: trashpad3.jpg (2000x1330, 754K)

How about 'because I want and can afford it", or is that too complex for you?

>can afford it
then why do you complain about the price?

then why are you even asking for advice here?

ThinkPad X1 Yoga

I think the real problem here is the namefagging

Attached: when-she-succ-1536821.png (500x487, 97K)

Please enlighten me, where am I complaining about the price?

Because I want to know what the better buy is. More expensive does not always means that it is better.

if you REALLY want this go for the more expensive one because at least you get a quad core there, but generally you're a fucking moron for picking either one for that kind of money

Quite furry

Attached: Screenshot_20190510-123341_Instagram.jpg (308x316, 13K)

Does anyone else get fucking disgusted & obsessively clean their laptop when thinking about what mongoloid/autist touched their used laptops before you? Anyone besides that putrid furry scum, I mean.

The latest gen is available in 4k ? I thought they capped at 1440p, being 14"and stuff.

I just give the used stuff I get a thorough wash and cleaning when I get home.
It's a good thing that mentally ill people are uncommon here in the 3rd world, the most we get is people sending dick picks and keeping them in their phones

I got the t440p but it doesn't do well for gayme. I play WoW and EVE on low settings and still get 15-20 fps when doing stuff, what upgrades can I give it? Besides the FPS, I've noticed the battery gets really hot, so the idea of getting an eGPU is a no no, it'd rape my fan. You guys said it would handle these games well...

I have an i5-4340M with 12GB of RAM, would an i7 really help? Should I get a new fan?

There we go.

Attached: trashpad4.jpg (4099x2726, 3.54M)

Tommorow my t450 will be delivered cant wait for that

T400 arriving tomorrow - going to make it my daily use machine due to the new circumstances of MDS, should probably throw in a Aetheros card into it too.

My T440p is almost completely upgraded now, just waiting on a few parts. Got a 4700MQ, 16gb ram, 500 gb sata ssd, 1080p screen, backlit keyboard and a T450 touchpad.

Gonna try disabling the blacklist and Intel Management Engine eventually. That should be a fun project for this summer.

There's a little rubber piece under the keyboard, it covers the keyboard ribbon cable and is part of the spill proofing. It was glued in originally, has anyone ever had to glue this back in? What did you use?

Attached: Screenshot_20190519_131907.png (598x440, 190K)

Crusader Kings 2 has turbo low system requirements. Could an x230 run it well? Person I'm shopping for wants something small and they said as far as games that's their only requirement. I've never owned or used anything newer than an x200, not do I play games on that, so I have no idea how well it might or might not run.

You didn't accidentally the windows EFI partition or wreck the MBT, did you?

Attached: Chii_Shaking_At_Ludicrous_Levels.gif (500x373, 46K)

Is there a way to replace the cells from a battery to get more capacity?

Attached: badderi.png (1600x1200, 2.57M)

Is swapping the T430's 900p screen for a FHD screen really as easy as just getting an LCD controller and a 14" screen?

Someone recommended these 2 components
ebay.us/YI69lu
ebay.us/7IJC6i

Attached: D4DvbXsXsAAGy0x.jpg (900x1200, 148K)

Always get a quad core i7 over dual core.

octoperf.com/blog/2018/11/07/thinkpad-t440p-buyers-guide/

Yes.

haven't but cyanoacrylate/superglue works on most rubbers

thank

How does your t440p preform in battery life and gaming?

thinking of getting x1e i5 16G, there's a couple of promotions stacked, would make for a good deal, about 1815 usd.

I have a T530 and the i7 3840QM is running stable at 3.5Ghz, 100% on all 8 cores running a duplication program
Good shit here

Should I change my 12 GB for 16?

I just got my i7 x220, but windows 10 seems a bit lagy. Is that normal? Should I install something else?

How does the T440s' non-IPS panel compare to say, a T420? The FHD version is pretty hard to find here

gentoo

it wont help you anyway unless you do something memory sensitive

win10 works really bad without ssd

laptopscreen.com/English/screen-part-number/LP140WF3(SP)(D1)/

Are the screens supposed to be this cheep? I don't understand.

x230 with
>classic keyboard installation
>FHD IPS panel mod
>i7 3820qm
should I gather some money and put this shit together?
yes, I got my IPS panel from that website in particular a while ago, they're pretty good with decent colors, blacks and contrast.

I get about 3 hours of light programming/reading pdfs on a 6 cell. This is with Arch Linux

Gaming is not fantastic, CS:GO just about runs at 1366x768, Half-Life 2 can be maxed out. Emulation is actually decent, Xenoblade Chronicles (A Wii rpg) runs stable at 30 fps, and I believe most PS2 titles will run well too

The only real reasons you'd need 16gb of ram would be video/photo editing or virtual machines

Should i be worried that i found a solder blob in my T400?

>installing arch
>something goes wrong and have to replace ram dim slot for t440p to boot
>was typing on keyboard and the key literally just snapped off
>new keyboard it $50+ on ebay/aliexpress
I dont undestand why I think this is the same Jow Forums from before 2013, and listen to your recommendations on shit tier chinkshit hardware and meme distros

Arch is for lunatics, autists and ricers
Install something else, like Debian or Fedora if you want a more mainstream, rolling release distribution of gahnoo loonix

If you're spending this much money on old Thinkpads then the $700 is the better buy. 2K display on a 12.5" screen is snake oil.

bros, are t60*'s worth it?

i found some actual ones with all of the *most likely* stock hardware for at most $120 on ebay

Help me on this one, my sister wants to buy a Asus vivobook flip, but I know Jack shit about computers, what is the best choice for a college student and a low budget?

X220/X230, it's less than 200 shipped even if you change out the disk for an SSD and add a battery

Ja kupio takvog, nema jeftinije kod nas. Odlican uređaj btw.

Recently had to factory reset my X230t because of a driver issue with the touchscreen I didn't want to deal with. Now everything works well, however, no gestures are working (like zooming in/out with fingers on websites) and I can't configure what keys I want to assign to the button on the side of the pen. What driver should I get that won't fuck everything up like previously ? Or even better, if I can just find some setting to change to fix this.

I'd probably go for the screen only, I hear that there's an updated controller that fixes the screen flickering and I don't think that link for the controller is for the updated one.

I ordered a refurb t420 from Canada to Russia on Ebay. Was very cheap, like 200$ incl. shipping ~4-5 years ago. Look at ebay and sellers that are willing to ship. It should be easier for you since Croatia is in Europe, and more sellers are willing to ship to Europe than to Russia.

Lads I bought a thinkpad with a broken screen and started it up using an external monitor
It's got win 7 installed with a password
Is there anyway to wipe the hard drive and get win 10 clean installed?

Did you google?

>good with blacks

dropped

I bought dell latitude e7450 instead of thinkpad because it had dedicated graphic (geforce 840m).

Runs hot even while watching youtube, build quality not as good as thinkpad and I don't even play games more than 2h per week.

I start to regret my decision

is a 5th gen x1 carbon worth getting, need a modern laptop (all modern thinkpads are shit) but it has better keyboard and build quality then shiptop

modern thinkpads arent good but, is an x1 carbon with getting?

Give it back Stephenson.