/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

!!! Happening: KDE Plasma 5.16 beta released kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.15.90.php !!!

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium/

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: friendlylinuxthread-mina-edition.webm (1920x1080, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/
github.com/tolga9009/elgato-gchd
manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/share/broadcast.html
youtube.com/watch?v=X3cMDhdId4M
makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/
gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I did a cat /etc/dropbear/root_key on the remote server and it clearly states "BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY"

Attached: girl-cute-ecchi-anime-1058880.jpeg.jpg (811x1174, 1.15M)

Honestly, give me one good reason to install Gentoo over any of the other Linux distributions.

Attached: 1556768141687.gif (900x600, 1.9M)

you'll be too busy compiling to let the existential dread set in

Kind of hard to recommend Gentoo over Guix if you insist on making life hard for yourself.

Generally, it is - quite frankly - a lot simpler to just pop in a Ubuntu or Fedora USB stick and be done installing & ready to actually use your machine in 3 minutes.

I do have Gentoo in a VM, it's fun to play with. But I wouldn't want to use and maintain it for my actual system.

Attached: guix-anime.png (1212x1374, 1005K)

sold

>guix-anime.png
That's no anime. That's Suika, a 2hu character and now official mascot of guixsd

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!

gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/gnu-guix-1.0.1-released/

Attached: guix.jpg (2572x1621, 839K)

would use it had I not already installed parabola on my thinkpad.

Any of you fuckers stream on Linux?
What's a goto capture card that just werks?

Depends on your stream demands
A 750ti will suffice and so will a 1060 6gb

>750ti and 1060
>capture card
I suspect you're confused

I'm also somewhat interested in this topic as I use OBS to stream all the time - but I only capture things running on the same computer; I haven't actually looked into capture cards.

When I did look into it I bookmarked github.com/tolga9009/elgato-gchd
but it seems like it's .. a alpha quality duck-tape driver, not something that "just works".

Capture cards are antiqued bloated shit for consumers/enthusiasts in 2019. You dont need to buy a $5000 card to stream on twitch, a normal graphics card can handle both the rendering and the recording at once. You dont need a workstation card.

Good posts.

I see you are still very confused as to what a Capture Card is and does.

You have a XBox or a Playstation. You'd like to Stream that gameplay along with a small video of yourself in the corner on Twitch. How exactly do you propose you do that with a normal graphics card? Plug one end of a HDMI cable into the XBox and the other into your GPU? I can assure you that isn't going to work.

If you have a high quality video recorder or a PS4 or an XBox or whatever then you need a capture card.

You are of course right about regular GPUs being able to handle recording and rendering of some game you're playing on your PC. That's not the use-case where you need a capture-card.

>If you have a high quality video recorder or a PS4 or an XBox or whatever then you need a capture card.
Xbox has a twitch streaming app that can use your kinect or other supported webcam to do exactly that
Never used ps4 but a quick very lazy google search gave me this how too
manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/share/broadcast.html

So you might want to take that stick out of your ass and change that smug face
Bitch ass fuck

bad aesthetics
good system
good post

>Linux
>Friendly

Very nice.

Attached: 1557514191991.gif (245x250, 897K)

>Mac-like bar and dock
dismissed

holy shit..
my life = changed

Attached: 937e9a56a9-1486996494538.png (600x580, 519K)

Attached: 1558311955256.png (720x769, 146K)

lol
what's the distro that gives you the existential dread though?

kek please tell me this is real

>pre CoC Linus
did he even insult a single person since the CoC

Anyone got a good guide for setting up LUKS on LVM on a single disk used just for storage that includes unlocking and mounting at boot time?

I don't think his point was that other distros give it to him. He was saying that he gets it anyway, but gentoo distracts him from it because it needs more attention than other distros.

do they have many different WM's in repositories or is it just xfwm and mutter?

I understood this, that's why I asked, what distros don't distract you and just give you the existential dread

Nice friendly post jesus fucking christ. Admit your faults when they're shown.

They have others. I know they have most of the tiling wm's like i3, bspwn, awesomewm, rat poison, etc.
I also hear about gnome on the mailing list sometimes (probably because it's a pain in the ass to maintain, given the development style of redshit devs).

Of course there's no default. The installation processes is literally just dropping in an operating-system scheme definition, in which you specify your DE or WM of choice, and then telling it to deploy.

>friendly post
>fglt

Attached: ModhvpA.jpg (738x960, 229K)

Maybe someone in the proton discord knows? I'd bet people in there might know about it.

Take that back

Attached: 1541984078718.jpg (640x640, 39K)

do they even have browsers apart from firefox and minimalist garbage?

Hurd kernel will take care of that bird

I have never seen it before but
>"doesn't care for any hurt feelings or lost hours of work, if it just results in what I consider to be a better system."
Linus has had and demonstrated that attitude many times over the years: Good code matters, improving the kernel quality matters, your feelings do not.

I have no idea if it's real or not; just reading it makes me 99% sure it is.

Are you actually curious or are you just trying to imply something about the official repos not having non-free software? Because if so then just spit it out.

But if you are curious then yeah they have ungoogled-chromium, not sure what others you might be expecting. Just go to their home page and click on Packages, you can search the list yourself.
They have Icecat of course, and no Firefox. But keep in mind things only get packaged when people have an interest and I guess almost every contributor finds icecat good enough. There's no reason they shouldn't have standard FF and they probably will at some point (I actually installed it a few months ago just by modifying a few lines in the icecat package, it was pretty easy).

I would actually miss him. Tux is probably the best open source mascot I've ever seen.

Got this putting "linux capture card" on YouTube: youtube.com/watch?v=X3cMDhdId4M
It looks OK. Having an out is a plus too.

Attached: 1558206705688.png (401x539, 304K)

I lose my interest in a distro if they don't provide SeaMonkey suite.

How are you supposed to install software on flatpak ? Running Clearlinux and its great , i just dont know hot to install shit ...

Doesn't look like anyone's packaged it yet.

>and no Firefox.
good taste by the way

>Clearlinux
fucking meme distros

sure, but it runs much better then anything including arch on my machine :^)

there is nothing wrong with solus

Attached: 190519 GoGo GFRIEND in SEOUL[Special stage]세계평화 - 치타보다 빠른 주말소원 직캠-JA (1280x720, 2.93M)

makeuseof.com/tag/forget-linux-use-windows/

I put it on my gayming desktop dual boot and I like it

Hi guys I don't use Linux but I got a few questions.
I saw Linus made a 7 gamers 1 CPU video and I'm sold on the idea of virtualization now. I want to run probably Linux, and virtualize Windows(botnet) to quarantine it. I need it to perform well though and I'm curious what kind of setup I need.

I'm not backed by big tech companies and I have pretty simple goals. I want a secure OS I can trust (aka, not win10) running off the hardware and 1-2 virtualized guests for gaming/general use/experimentation.

Do I need multiple GPUs?
Can I make the host OS (linux I assume?) run off the iGPU (technically a second/spare GPU right?) and pass my NVIDIA GPU to the VMs as needed? (don't plan to run GPU accelerated VMs simulteanously so figure I only need one)
Can I run a setup like this off 3 monitors, where all 3 are displaying either the host or the guest, controlled by "alt tabbing" between VM and Host with the same cables or will I need to play around switching monitor inputs as I switch between them?

I'm thinking about buying a Ryzen 3000 series Ryzen 7 for the build and 64GB of RAM and keeping my GTX 970 until I want to upgrade it. All I want to do is be able to play sketchy games with invasive shit like punkbuster/drm without risking my main OS's security. Performance and security are the goals.

I don't play counter strike shit so I'm ok with ~1ms extra latency. I know running native is better but if I can achieve just 90% of my performance in the guest VM (which Linus was able to in his video) that's good enough for me.

muh no gayoms
by the way did I tell you how Win 10 can't run like 50% of my geyms?

>Linus
why is Linus making dumb zoomer vids instead of working on the kernel?

LinusTechTips, not Torvalds.
Nice meme.

so he has 2 channels?

Different guys.
Torvalds is the handsome manly looking Linux guy.
LinusTechTips is the nerdy tech youtuber.

Lol.

Cam you even back up your claims?

The absolute state of brainlets.

This.

Attached: 1540869515748.png (1100x618, 488K)

Toppest kek.

he just dresses up

>bad aesthetics
welcome to GNU

Nice concept, good luck getting a novideo gpu to play nice.

I'm switching ones I decide how and get used to using it in a vm.
Thare not in the repo but I'm sure someone has made package definitions for Steam, Lutris and sc-controller by now.

Attached: 1549401043802.jpg (1300x900, 123K)

I haev stem peckage

How difficult is it to install guix and install proprietary packages on guix?

>install proprietary packages on guix
Gay and non-gnupilled.

Fairly straightforward to install. Guix can make self-contained builds that can run on any machine, and so they use Guix to package Guix itself in a self-contained download.
So I'd recommend just using that (it's the "binary" option on the download page) instead of getting the source code. But whatever floats your boat.

It does take a little bit of setting up though: gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Binary-Installation.html
But it's not too bad.

>and install proprietary packages
Depends. If you ask here in /fglt/ maybe someone (like myself) already has one and can share it, or can help you make it.
And it really depends on the software. If it's a pre compiled binary then you probably just have to tell the package to run "patchelf" on it.

Oh, and I just realized in that link they have a shell script installer now. So I guess it's even easier. Just run the script (as root though, might be a good idea to skim through it first if you don't trust them).

my graphix card is proprietary theres nothing i can do about it
please help me

Attached: 1552887997683.jpg (900x973, 204K)

>please help me
Well you're talking just plain "guix" right? If so then you don't need shit for your video card because it'll use the drivers you already have on your normal OS.

But if you're talking about the full GuixSD distro then it's still a piece of cake. All you have to do is drop the linux kernel + firmware "non-free" package in the right place, add it to your system config and install.
Let me know if you want the package.
You have to say that you want to touch my delicious package and then I'll let you have it.

Is Ubuntu still considered spyware if I delete the Amazon shortcut and disable error reporting?

It's the only distro that I can get to work with my Chinktop out the box and it's ruining me. The touchscreen (which I wont even fucking use) refuses to work with any other distro and it's mind boggling, I'd rather just use Baby's first Leenix than try and debug this shit any longer.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (2676x1612, 786K)

Unironically thinking Ubuntu is spyware in the first place is lame and bluepilled.

The "bluepilled/redpilled meme is lame.

magewell and datapath pcie cards claim to support linux (and there's shit like magewell's usb ones that act like webcams)

haven't tried it out but i do own a magewell pro capture hdmi and they provide source code for linux use

Which should I choose between ubuntu, mint, and fedora just starting out?

Ubuntu or Mint, depending on which DE you want. If you want Cinnamon or MATE, use Mint. Otherwise, use Ubuntu.

linux neophyte looking for a light distro to basically convert an old laptop into a streaming/browsing machine for the living room. i desire:

> very fast to boot & low OS overhead
> simple interface with light customizability that can look good on a big tv
> basic enough that most people won't be able to tell the difference from windows
> support for similar global kb shortcuts to windoze
> support for usb pnp & external network card

i'm thinking lubuntu, else mint. am i on the right track?

Is this the Linux kernel or the GNU kernel?

Go with a different flavor like Lubuntu if you use it. Or try using Trisquel. Ubuntu is pretty pozzed and will pull shit like the Amazon scandal as well as their horrible DE Unity for years.

Lubuntu is pretty great. Can’t speak for Mint.

are you ready to get
Kucked

Attached: index.png (202x249, 9K)

You can't install Cinnamon or MATE on Ubuntu?

what kinda specs do you use it with?

responded to wrong user

You can but install more than 1 DE will make your system becomes an ugly mess.

What do you mean drop the linux kernel + firmware "non-free" package in the right place?

Cinnamon part of the Mint project, so I would expect it to work most smoothly on Mint, although I've never tried to use it on anything else.

You can install any DE on any distro an unlike the other user I don't really think it's a problem to have more than one, but using a DE that your distro supports out of the box is the most noob-friendly experience, hence my recommendation.

I dunno, I just said that. You can throw it anywhere you want, it's just a text file with .scm extension. In guix it's all just scheme code, so you can extend it by just importing other files. Packages are just objects (I don't exactly how they're defined but they're really similar to just plain lists of attributes).

So you'd just save the file somewhere, then import it:
>(add-to-load-path "/wherever/the/file/is")
>(use-modules (linux-nonfree))

Then inside the operating-system definition you just change the kernel:
>(kernel linux-nonfree)
and add the additional firmware to the base-firmware:
>(firmware (append (list linux-firmware-non-free) %base-firmware))
and that's it.

nice ear

Xubuntu, kubuntu, or lubuntu?

Is /fglt/ friendly to posts about attempting to compile Android for an "ancient" phone from 2012?

This place is mainly for the Unix-like userland. Try xda.

>Try xda
Forums. No thank you.

Attached: Abcd1234.png (1920x1080, 549K)

I can't type moon runes in the terminal, how do I switch out of romaji mode in uim-fep? zenkaku/hankaku and shift+space don't work

Attached: QHq9RNT.png (1366x768, 138K)

I have a newer laptop with good specs so Lubuntu goes lightning fast.

How can I check if I'm running non-free modules on my kernel?

Attached: 1504682358510.jpg (456x537, 20K)

ask your shrink

Check for the source code for all of them. I think lsmod lists modules

Update. Compile was successful. Tried flashing over my new system image... It is just sitting on the boot screen right now.

Attached: lol.png (1920x1080, 359K)