WiFi cards

How the fuck do you get these to work on Linux AND Win10? I've been looking for a while and my research concludes you can't have both without having it run like shit on one of the OSes or having difficulties installing the drivers

Attached: Asus PCE-AC68.jpg (2434x2137, 281K)

Other urls found in this thread:

community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/110266?page=1&t=2019/02/16 10:34:58 +0000
linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/asus-pce-ac68-wireless-card-4175542990/
github.com/linux-firmware//6000.ucode
aliexpress.com/item/Dual-Band-Desktop-PCI-E-Wireless-AC-9260-Intel-9260NGW-802-11ac-MU-MIMO-5Ghz-1/32860932571.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

idk just kill yourself

Or just don't use wireless. Wireless internet has been nothing but pain for me.

wireless is not an option for me in this case

Then why’d you make a thread about wireless drivers?

No WiFi card in the world is made for Linux and then for Windows. I can't even imagine being this retarded. If you find a card that works well on Linux then it WILL work well on Windows just STFU

community.tp-link.com/us/home/forum/topic/110266?page=1&t=2019/02/16 10:34:58 +0000

atheros(qualcomm) should just work.
many with open firmware too.

broadcom requires firmware(kernel module) but otherwise works fine.

>atheros(qualcomm) should just work.
what are the latest PCI(e) cards that has this chipset? I just get a bunch of old ones

>broadcom requires firmware(kernel module) but otherwise works fine.
how does Broadcom work on Arch?
The one I posted in OP seem to have some issues with Arch and Ubuntu
linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/asus-pce-ac68-wireless-card-4175542990/

intel usually works

absolutely do not buy broadcom

If it's broadcom, you are fucked with shitty 5 years old DKMS blob instead of proper drivers. Try not to rage too hard at random freezes.
t. owner of Archer T9E who finally got powerline

as i know all wifi adapters has issues

I don't remember the last time I needed drivers for wifi cards in Win10

100% avoid broadcom I agree. You can make it work but some distros have limited bcm support. .deb OSs work better than .rpm in my experience though.

Depending on what you're trying to do you can use a WiFi extender with an ethernet port

I have a couple of servers in my closet running off one of these extenders + a cheap unmanaged switch. Been using this setup for a couple of months and get decent performance plus you don't have to deal with wifi drivers on lincucks.

Attached: u_10119506.jpg (1000x887, 34K)

I recently bought a Gigabyte one with an intel chipset (was literally the cheapest with dual band 802.11ac on Amazon). Works fine on Debian Buster with the iwlwifi binary blob. If you are a purist and refuse any firmware blobs, I think some Atheros and Mediatek ones dont require binary blobs.

SSHHHEEEEEEEEIT. Why the fuck have I never thought of that before... Such a smarter solution

Attached: toof.png (631x409, 173K)

range extenders are trash

Mine works :P

meh depends on your use-case. i have 2 servers in my closet running off the extender in the pic you replied to (in addition to 2 servers running next to my desk). 1 serves as a backup server (mounts the filesystem of other servers through sshfs and uses duplicati or davfs to upload to opendrive) and the other runs random things (seedbox for smaller files, wiki, CI builds).

I get decent enough performance for my use-cases. I think if youre expecting a ton of throughput then yeah youre gonna be disappointed, but for most entry-level home servers you'll be more than fine.

Although, this is mostly anecdotal. Id be curious to hear why you think theyre trash.

>bcm94360cd (the best wifi card money can buy)
>bcm94360cs
>bcm94360cs2
Works perfectly on macOS, linux, windows
>any intel card
Works perfectly on linux and windows

Attached: Screen_Shot_20190508_at_10.37.07.jpg (1648x930, 167K)

>look mom, I've found a product out of thousands that has a software problem! I sure showed that guy on reddit....

>Works perfectly on linux and windows
you mean I can install even Arch and it will instantly work?

>im too lazy to run a command: sudo curl github.com/linux-firmware//6000.ucode -o /lib/firmware

Attached: 1509893107522.jpg (778x788, 68K)

Yes

>install Arch
>needs drivers for WiFi chip
>sudo curl github.com/linux-firmware//6000.ucode -o /lib/firmware
>"no connection to the internet"
wat do

got this one. It is quite cheap, it explicitly states it is compatible with Linux, it's one of the better Intel WiFi chipsets using 802.11ac and has 1.7Gbps max speed(never gonna utilize that anyway though) and had plenty of good reviews
aliexpress.com/item/Dual-Band-Desktop-PCI-E-Wireless-AC-9260-Intel-9260NGW-802-11ac-MU-MIMO-5Ghz-1/32860932571.html

Attached: Dual-Band-Desktop-PCI-E-Wireless-AC-9260-Intel-9260NGW-802-11ac-MU-MIMO-5Ghz-1.jpg_640x640.jpg (640x640, 79K)

Why are you using wireless on anything with a PCI slot? Just use an ethernet cable.

Who cares just delete the linux partition all you're losing is your joke side game known as whatever distro you have.

That's what I have on my desktop. Any distro with Linux kernel 5.0 or newer will work without any extra hassle and the windows driver works perfectly

Do these cards still work with N? Would like a new wireless/bluetooth card in my PC. Could I use it after with a whitelisted t520 after?

Yes, AC is backwards compatible with N/G/B

cool shit now to just figure out how to pirate a cisco account to make use of this meraki mr52

this
Intel works fine for me on Windows and Linux. I did need to add a tweak in modprobe.d to achieve full speeds on Linux though.

>I did need to add a tweak in modprobe.d to achieve full speeds on Linux though.
what did you do?

put this in /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf:

options iwlwifi swcrypto=1

thanks

>brag about how stable arch is so she install it once per decade
>cant tether his smartphone once per decade to download the file, or she cant save a copy on a stick
patethic
>i'm using arch btw

Attached: 1428624869420[1].jpg (383x400, 19K)

that particular card is compatible, and they are generally compatible
but there are some AC cards which works on 5ghz only, so cannot be used with 2.4 B/G/N

Whatever Intel 802.11ac came integrated in my mobo just works in both Windows and Debian. I had to download a firmware blob to make it work in Debian, but that's just from Debian being anal about nonfree blobs.